Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations

I suggest you logon and go see how many people are playing a CTF. Then maybe you can explain to me the low numbers?

Because it's boring? Because it's the same tiny box like map? Because those tiny maps are crammed with every single editor object under the sun? Because 9 times out of 10 everyone is issued a G36?

Maybe if you 'spiced' up the CTF maps they would become popular again. It's not BIS fault that CTF ain't played as much as in OFP. I mean the CTF maps in OFP are basically the same in ArmA.

And before you start mouthing off. No I'm not a co-op player. I dislike Evolution. And I'm not a fanboy, It's been a while since I last played ArmA.

Well its funny how them small tiny box maps you mention were played over and over again in ofp, and i don't recall alot of people saying them maps were boring.

The maps maybe the same style as in Ofp, but for me the maps arn't the problem. The transitions in the animations are, and if thats not BIS fault who's is it?

Quote[/b] ]Maybe you have actual evidence to show? If not, then your claim is only speculation.

QG comes with version 1.08 of the game.

I wouldn't say that is evidence.

I wouldn't even be sure of the version number in the Queen's Gambit patch. I think you shouldn't be sure about that either.

Quote[/b] ]Spoock: What inspired you to make an expansion pack.

Expansion pack, just.

Quote[/b] ]Marek: Very probably it will be patch 1.08.

guerilla @ Aug. 15 2007,18:22)]BIS is gonna loose about 70% of their future customer, which is gonna affect everyone of you.

I'd be happy to see a 70% reduction of players, seeing as about 70% of current players are numbskulls biggrin_o.gif

wink_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]I'd be happy to see a 70% reduction of players, seeing as about 70% of current players are numbskulls

Hmm - I think we may have officially reached the low-point of this discussion :-(

I'm a CTF player; I happen to have got used to the Arma movement (I won't call it 'animation' since I like the motion-capture a lot) but I think it is undeniable that anyone who spent a lot of time playng OFP would describe the Arma controls as 'clunky', 'stiff', 'robotic' or 'unresponsive'. To me it's not a game-breaker - Arma is still a great fun and I'd recommend any ex-CTF players to persevere a little longer until they get used the controls.

To your point DMarkwick - in case you hadn't noticed, BIS is a commercial enterprise. Ie they exist to make money, not just to make the perfect product for you and I. Ultimately they make money by pleasing as many people as possible. That's good for us because when they make money they can use it to improve the product further. The compromise you have to make is that they have to appeal to a slightly broader section of the community than you might like. Wishing for a smaller 'elite' player base is effectively wishing for BIS to go out of business (you may not care in the short term) and stop producing great products like Arma (you probably do care in the long term).

Quote[/b] ]I'd be happy to see a 70% reduction of players, seeing as about 70% of current players are numbskulls

Hmm - I think we may have officially reached the low-point of this discussion :-(

I'm a CTF player; I happen to have got used to the Arma movement (I won't call it 'animation' since I like the motion-capture a lot) but I think it is undeniable that anyone who spent a lot of time playng OFP would describe the Arma controls as 'clunky', 'stiff', 'robotic' or 'unresponsive'. To me it's not a game-breaker - Arma is still a great fun and I'd recommend any ex-CTF players to persevere a little longer until they get used the controls.

To your point DMarkwick - in case you hadn't noticed, BIS is a commercial enterprise. Ie they exist to make money, not just to make the perfect product for you and I. Ultimately they make money by pleasing as many people as possible. That's good for us because when they make money they can use it to improve the product further. The compromise you have to make is that they have to appeal to a slightly broader section of the community than you might like. Wishing for a smaller 'elite' player base is effectively wishing for BIS to go out of business (you may not care in the short term) and stop producing great products like Arma (you probably do care in the long term).

Oh stop being so precious about it - it was a JOKE as evidenced by smilies & winkies.

that's how i understood it too, as a joke, coz you were flaiming coop players, which are now 90% of the "current" playerpot and if you count the ai's too, we're at 99%.

Suma said somewhere, that they will portait war as it is, usually annoying, mission accomplished so far.

but anyway, they allrdy said that this Queen Expansion will be delivered with 1.08, so there wan't be any new anims and they annouced today some new BIS Project. if it is really new, than it isnt Game2, as this project is 4 years old ? that leads to another game or just a mispelling, either way, i guess there are no big future plans for ArmA beside some islands and retexture here and there.

I suggest you logon and go see how many people are playing a CTF. Then maybe you can explain to me the low numbers?

Because it's boring? Because it's the same tiny box like map? Because those tiny maps are crammed with every single editor object under the sun? Because 9 times out of 10 everyone is issued a G36?

Maybe if you 'spiced' up the CTF maps they would become popular again. It's not BIS fault that CTF ain't played as much as in OFP. I mean the CTF maps in OFP are basically the same in ArmA.

And before you start mouthing off. No I'm not a co-op player. I dislike Evolution. And I'm not a fanboy, It's been a while since I last played ArmA.

Well its funny how them small tiny box maps you mention were played over and over again in ofp, and i don't recall alot of people saying them maps were boring.

The maps maybe the same style as in Ofp, but for me the maps arn't the problem. The transitions in the animations are, and if thats not BIS fault who's is it?

Look, what I'm saying is that the unpopularity of CTF maps can't be down to the animations alone. It could multiple reasons - one which I pointed out earlier. People may be getting bored playing the same CTF maps over and over again and they change little in design. Ok, you don't think the maps are a problem but a lot of other people may think differently.

Moreover I didn't say that the animations are not BIS fault. The transitions are obviously their fault because they made them. What I said was that it may not be BIS fault that CTF is unpopular.

You have made quite a few topics on this 'issue' and I don't think it's really a problem. There is so much that can be done with the mission editor that why would you want to play the same mundane CTF map when there is much more that can be done?

Expansion pack, just.

That is some talk only, not evidence of what will really be in Queen's Gambit... the evidence is seen when I have the Queen's Gambit here and can taste it, feel it, play it.

Expansion pack, just.

That is some talk only, not evidence of what will really be in Queen's Gambit... the evidence is seen when I have the Queen's Gambit here and can taste it, feel it, play it.

Hmm... then I guess there's not much point in answering any of your evidence questions if the only evidence you'll accept is the product itself yes? smile_o.gif

Expansion pack, just.

You asked and I provided. You're free to disregard it as speculation, because Marek did infact say 'probably'. What else do we have, but speculation? I'm just saying, don't bet everything on Queen's Gambit being a completely different game with animations specialized for CTF.

I would have thought that the fast action animations wanted in CTF would be different in Co-ops etc, and since ArmA's meant to be a tactical simulation I would assume that's what BIS designed the animations best for.

This vote was conducted a few months ago on armedassault.eu and as you can see the amount of people that play SP is much greater than MP. Thats why CTF is boring, its not been a priority to become playable as much as co-op and other SP modes.

Gaming: SP

53% [1041 Votes]

Gaming: MP

11% [207 Votes]

Gaming: SP and MP

9% [180 Votes]

Waiting for next patch

15% [295 Votes]

Don't have the game

13% [248 Votes]

Votes: 1971

Started: 12/01/2007 22:04

Ended: 20/03/2007 00:19

Abit of a weird poll being that the people who are "waiting" for the next patch could also be playing MP.

most MP people play and don't visit news sites wink_o.gif

(you know auto mission download and mp missions not using

addons - no necessity to check these sites for playing)

I just got an idea for the CTF fans out there. If the ArmA animations are not now, and are not changing into what you would like to see, then the CTF missions need to adjust to the situation. There is room for more creativity.

I just got an idea for the CTF fans out there. If the ArmA animations are not now, and are not changing into what you would like to see, then the CTF missions need to adjust to the situation. There is room for more creativity.

aha...great...but the problem is not CTF only, its every game-mode which is PvP and not Player VS AI.

I have the same animations/movements/controls everywhere in ArmA, so its not one specific game-mode which got problems, all PvP game-modes have the same problems, even COOP has it too.

I have made enough different CTF missions (over 30) in ArmA and i think next to COOP, CTF got the most variety of missions...so it cant be the lack of enough different missions.

Look at Evolution, its just one mission which is played all day long since some months now.

The problem we have is the fact that everybody who plays PvP more often comes to the conclusion that ArmA isnt made for PvP, cause of the animations/movements/controls of your model, which are clumsy, robotic and very slow.

Yeah i know ArmA is a simulator and not an arcade game, but in my view was OFP a simulator too and it was still fun to play.

aha...great...but the problem is not CTF only, its every game-mode which is PvP and not Player VS AI.

I have the same animations/movements/controls everywhere in ArmA, so its not one specific game-mode which got problems, all PvP game-modes have the same problems, even COOP has it too.

I have made enough different CTF missions (over 30) in ArmA and i think next to COOP, CTF got the most variety of missions...so it cant be the lack of enough different missions.

Look at Evolution, its just one mission which is played all day long since some months now.

The problem we have is the fact that everybody who plays PvP more often comes to the conclusion that ArmA isnt made for PvP, cause of the animations/movements/controls of your model, which are clumsy, robotic and very slow.

Yeah i know ArmA is a simulator and not an arcade game, but in my view was OFP a simulator too and it was still fun to play.

Yes the animations are clunky but it doesn't ruin the entire game.

Variety? Really? A small square area, with a bunch bulidings and sandbags stuck together, everybody armed with a G36 and two flags in the exact same position allowing both sides to 'camp' at key entry points. I've yet to encounter a CTF map that's different.

So PvP isn't playable? Funny how ArmA tournements such as International Confilct are quite popular. I have not heard anyone complain about the anims there.

But I do agree about the anim transitions - they need some work.

Oh yes I complained about the animations too, and I am not a CTF fan. I complained about the inaccuracy of movement. That disturbs me more than slow animations.

Variety? Really? A small square area, with a bunch bulidings and sandbags stuck together, everybody armed with a G36 and two flags in the exact same position allowing both sides to 'camp' at key entry points. I've yet to encounter a CTF map that's different.

How many CTF missions have you played?

only Hexenkessel?

i have made bigger sized CTF missions too with lot of vehicles, but thats not what the CTF players wanna play.

CQB CTF was a lot of fun in OFP and in ArmA its the most often played CTF mission style too, but the animations/movements/controls of the model are disturbing it.

Its clear that on bigger areas you wont realize the problematic of the animations/movements/controls of your model.

Just go and play DM and you will realize after some time that there is a lot wrong with the animations/controls/movements of your model.

When i read that Queens Gambit will bring new islands with big urban areas, then i can just say, OMG, cause with the current state of the animations/movements/controls of your model its just a waste of time to make missions in such a CQB area.

Dont understand me wrong, i will buy this expansion for sure, cause i still like ArmA, but my heart is bleeding when i see that this game has failed at so many points. Not only at the controls, ArmA has still a long way till it becomes as good as OFP was.

Nah, as usual i will just wait and see what BIS will do...im playing ArmA since the beginning and i always thought that the animations/movements/controls will be overworked for sure, but now its nearly a year ago since the release and many unimportant stuff has been changed, but the most important part, the animations/movements/controls of the model, are still the same.

Q has contacted me a while ago with the idea of changing the animations/movements/controls by himself, that would be an idea, but at the same time he would have made a cheat, cause you can go with your modified stuff on public servers too and you will have a big advantage over the others with the standard controls.

I think he decided to wait till the tools comes out, cause then he would be able to combine the new movements with an addon like a new model, so nobody can use this as a cheat.

We can be happy that ArmA is so modification friendly. For example: Celery already "repaired" the weapons with his little realism mod, where he has made the weapons as accurate as they were in OFP with just a little script.

But i would like to see all this stuff done by BIS and not by the community. Cause then people who play ArmA for the first time would be able to enjoy it and they would tell others to buy it too. At the moment its just up side down, many new players dont like ArmA and they tell their friends to not buy it. confused_o.gif

Queen's Gambit - as name already suggests, we're probably gonna have females in the combat or at least posing wink_o.gif

Q has contacted me a while ago with the idea of changing the animations/movements/controls by himself, that would be an idea, but at the same time he would have made a cheat, cause you can go with your modified stuff on public servers too and you will have a big advantage over the others with the standard controls.

I don't think that should stop him smile_o.gif servers can exclude modified files if they wish it.

In any case, it kind of goes against your complaints of the animations, that it constrains you in PvP type games against other players. If that's so then all players have an equal constraint, and so a level playing field for everyone right? Saying animations ruins PvP style gameplay is a misconception IMO, any game where each side has the same constraints cannot be ruined by those constraints, as they are game characteristics.

For my part, I'd like to see better animations simply because I'd like to see better animations smile_o.gif.

If you hurry we can bundle the animation together with the 6th sense tracers and the FDF-Soundpack and send it to BIS so they can include it in CQ as official addon. rofl.gif

How many CTF missions have you played?

only Hexenkessel?

i have made bigger sized CTF missions too with lot of vehicles, but thats not what the CTF players wanna play.

CQB CTF was a lot of fun in OFP and in ArmA its the most often played CTF mission style too, but the animations/movements/controls of the model are disturbing it.

Its clear that on bigger areas you wont realize the problematic of the animations/movements/controls of your model.

Just go and play DM and you will realize after some time that there is a lot wrong with the animations/controls/movements of your model.

When i read that Queens Gambit will bring new islands with big urban areas, then i can just say, OMG, cause with the current state of the animations/movements/controls of your model its just a waste of time to make missions in such a CQB area.

Dont understand me wrong, i will buy this expansion for sure, cause i still like ArmA, but my heart is bleeding when i see that this game has failed at so many points. Not only at the controls, ArmA has still a long way till it becomes as good as OFP was.

Nah, as usual i will just wait and see what BIS will do...im playing ArmA since the beginning and i always thought that the animations/movements/controls will be overworked for sure, but now its nearly a year ago since the release and many unimportant stuff has been changed, but the most important part, the animations/movements/controls of the model, are still the same.

I think he decided to wait till the tools comes out, cause then he would be able to combine the new movements with an addon like a new model, so nobody can use this as a cheat.

We can be happy that ArmA is so modification friendly. For example: Celery already "repaired" the weapons with his little realism mod, where he has made the weapons as accurate as they were in OFP with just a little script.

But i would like to see all this stuff done by BIS and not by the community. Cause then people who play ArmA for the first time would be able to enjoy it and they would tell others to buy it too. At the moment its just up side down, many new players dont like ArmA and they tell their friends to not buy it. confused_o.gif

I've played quite a few CTF missions for both OFP and ArmA in my time.

Never played Hexenkessel. I always thought that was some sort of zombie mission.

I'm not talking about a big CTF map with lots of vehicles. All that does is add stuff to the map. Think outside the box. Heatseeker I think it was suggested you could put in a script that moved about the flags every so often. These are the kind of ideas I'm talking about that could make the CTF maps a bit more exciting. It would also be a good idea to not squash the buildings together too close. It would allow for a little more freedom of movement.

I hated CQB  in OFP, it was utterly horrible. In ArmA the CQB is better now that you can finally lean around corners. But I do see what you mean by the animations. I know what your on about, I don't need to play DM to see. One DM game I played was one by Celery that had a 'Wild West' theme to it. The buildings were relatively spaced out and I didn't really notice the animations then.

OFP was never centered around urban combat and although there are bigger towns ArmA isn't really centered around urban fighting either. What it boils down to is this, the animations aren't going to be tweaked soon, so you might as well adapt to the situation and try out some new ideas.

CTF is capture the flag, with 2 flags, one for each side and every side has to try to capture the enemy flag to get a point.

Every modification of that will end in a new game mode and not CTF.

Im going to make new game-modes in the near future, it just takes time till its finished, but that will be totally different stuff than CTF.

I have published a CTF missions pack with 25 CTF missions in it and i tried to make as many different kind of CTF missions as possible. So i guess i already did my part in trying to give a variety of CTF missions to the public.

But of course, all of them got the same scripts and so no variety on that way, cause im making league missions and there it depends on different stuff than just fun.

CTF is capture the flag, with 2 flags, one for each side and every side has to try to capture the enemy flag to get a point.

Every modification of that will end in a new game mode and not CTF.

Im going to make new game-modes in the near future, it just takes time till its finished, but that will be totally different stuff than CTF.

I have published a CTF missions pack with 25 CTF missions in it and i tried to make as many different kind of CTF missions as possible. So i guess i already did my part in trying to give a variety of CTF missions to the public.

But of course, all of them got the same scripts and so no variety on that way, cause im making league missions and there it depends on different stuff than just fun.

But with that little script I suggested, that changes flag positions, how could that make it a different game mode? Your still Capturing The Flag. You could also possibly add a random weapons script where every player could be given a random weapon. That wouldn't change the game mode.

I'm not suggesting you change it for league missions, just for Joe Public.