Sign in to follow this  
Dudester

Is Queens Gambit going to have better animations

lol we are discussing ways of making CTF more enjoyable...

making a mission where the flag is always somewhere else sounds for me more like a Seek&Capture The Flag... tounge2.gif

and giving random weapons will make it a who got the good weapons and kill him thing...

The problem we have at the PvP section are not the missions.

That was never a prob at OFP so it cant be the problem at ArmA.

If someone is bored of the current mission situation can make new missions very easy with the nice editor.

But we cant change the animations/movements/controls of the model so easy.

And if someone like Q is going to make new animations/movements/controls then its a thing which you have to download and install by urself and its not within the standard ArmA version.

Thats the reason why we ask now, if it is possible to get overworked animations/movements/controls of the model within Queens Gambit, cause then everybody can get it on an official way.

We would be happy too, if the bugs of the animations/movements/controls will be fixed within one of the next patches.

This thread shows me that there are a lot of people who have the same problems with the current situation of the animations/movements/controls of ArmA and it should show BIS that its one of the main problems out there.

Looking forward to the changes made by BIS! thumbs-up.gif

CTF is capture the flag, with 2 flags, one for each side and every side has to try to capture the enemy flag to get a point.

Every modification of that will end in a new game mode and not CTF.

Im going to make new game-modes in the near future, it just takes time till its finished, but that will be totally different stuff than CTF.

I have published a CTF missions pack with 25 CTF missions in it and i tried to make as many different kind of CTF missions as possible. So i guess i already did my part in trying to give a variety of CTF missions to the public.

But of course, all of them got the same scripts and so no variety on that way, cause im making league missions and there it depends on different stuff than just fun.

But with that little script I suggested, that changes flag positions, how could that make it a different game mode? Your still Capturing The Flag. You could also possibly add a random weapons script where every player could be given a random weapon. That wouldn't change the game mode.

I'm not suggesting you change it for league missions, just for Joe Public.

Adding randomness to a map only creates WTF reactions and unfairness due to luck. It wouldn't be very fun and I don't need to make a map to see what would happen in it.

Of course people would say "lol i got an M9 and the flag teleported 10 m away from me, lmao", but their real meaning is clear when you replace lol with wtf and lmao with bs. That's how net speech has evolved.

CTF is capture the flag, with 2 flags, one for each side and every side has to try to capture the enemy flag to get a point.

Every modification of that will end in a new game mode and not CTF.

Im going to make new game-modes in the near future, it just takes time till its finished, but that will be totally different stuff than CTF.

I have published a CTF missions pack with 25 CTF missions in it and i tried to make as many different kind of CTF missions as possible. So i guess i already did my part in trying to give a variety of CTF missions to the public.

But of course, all of them got the same scripts and so no variety on that way, cause im making league missions and there it depends on different stuff than just fun.

But with that little script I suggested, that changes flag positions, how could that make it a different game mode? Your still Capturing The Flag. You could also possibly add a random weapons script where every player could be given a random weapon. That wouldn't change the game mode.

I'm not suggesting you change it for league missions, just for Joe Public.

Adding randomness to a map only creates WTF reactions and unfairness due to luck. It wouldn't be very fun and I don't need to make a map to see what would happen in it.

Of course people would say "lol i got an M9 and the flag teleported 10 m away from me, lmao", but their real meaning is clear when you replace lol with wtf and lmao with bs. That's how net speech has evolved.

Hey it was just a suggestion I'm not telling you to add that specific feature. Im just saying think outside the box. Obviously you would have to think things through before adding stuff. You could add scripts like that within reason.

The anims are not a pressing issue and won't be fixed too soon (could be wrong). If you want PvP stuff to be more popular your going to have to try something.

I've posted in this thread too much times.

goodnight.gif

i think people a missing dudester original point. What is Queens gambit going to add? New players? dont think so. Why do you think that evo is the most played out map? That's what a majority of the New Players that never played OFP that came from bf2 and other games.

The majority if not all of the Old ofp ctf squads are not playing Arma because of the animations. Fix the animations and guess wha t will happen alot of full servers with hundreads of more players.

No expansion pack will do that rofl.gif

This game is a year old that was made for those COOP diehards who enjoy non PvP games and guess what Arma is dieing. We in the PVP group keep OFP alive still today with CTI and CTF. Sometimes the truth hurts but needs to be said.

@ Celery

Also, lol, wtf, lmao when you finally get to the enemys flag, but another lol, wtf, lmao when you get back with the enemy flag and realise your own flag has teleported somwhere else. I can just picture it now, players frantically punching there keys on the flags location.

Can somone report these animation/transitions in the bug list to BIS, I don't know how to or i would. Also when you have done this can you report back with the priority for a fix they give it. If they simply delete it as not a bug, then atleast we know that there not intenting to fix it. I belive this is they only way to find out unless somone from BIS wants to comment here.

Also, lol, wtf, lmao when you finally get to the enemys flag, but another lol, wtf, lmao when you get back with the enemy flag and realise your own flag has teleported somwhere else. I can just picture it now, players frantically punching there keys on the flags location.

I guess activity like that might provoke (gasp) teamwork! biggrin_o.gif

Think of it - one team to locate & secure the enemy flag, another team to locate & secure your own flag. Lots of dynamic teamwork as a path from one to t'uther is quickly worked out and put into action.

Think of it - one team to locate & secure the enemy flag, another team to locate & secure your own flag. Lots of dynamic teamwork as a path from one to t'uther is quickly worked out and put into action.

Teamwork and complicity repels public players. If you look at Berzerk and Evolution which are (sadly imholol) the most popular games in the browser, none of them requires direct teamwork, pretty much everyone gets to do their own thing that they get off on.

Frantic's made a -Gc- line of CTF maps where you have balanced and non-über equipment and usually larger areas than the MCY maps where you can have any weapon you want in lego towns or otherwise small areas where you don't need coordination to advance. The MCY series is more popular.

Teamwork and complicity repels public players. If you look at Berzerk and Evolution which are (sadly imholol) the most popular games in the browser, none of them requires direct teamwork, pretty much everyone gets to do their own thing that they get off on.

Frantic's made a -Gc- line of CTF maps where you have balanced and non-über equipment and usually larger areas than the MCY maps where you can have any weapon you want in lego towns or otherwise small areas where you don't need coordination to advance. The MCY series is more popular.

Well I expect you're right, although I hold the view that you should never lower requirements for the lowest common denominator.

It's already been said that most CTF missions are pretty samey, good enough for the pubes wink_o.gif

We should be raising the bar, not lowering it for a younger audience wink_o.gif

Anyhoo, good topic.

Listen, its hard enough to collect a flag knowing where it is and then trying to get it back to base. These animations make for bad gameplay as it is, so we don't need further complications.

I also don't see a big problem with teamwork in CTF, as everyone one is aiming for one goal, wich is to get the flag. Many times i see players typing such things as....left/ mid/ right, or these signs <</></>> to indicate where they or the enemy are going.

Listen, its hard enough to collect a flag knowing where it is and then trying to get it back to base. These animations make for bad gameplay as it is, so we don't need further complications.

I also don't see a big problem with teamwork in CTF, as everyone one is aiming for one goal, wich is to get the flag. Many times i see players typing such things as....left, mid, right, or these signs << >> to indicate where they or the enemy are going.

We were just saying to think outside the box, not add that specific feature. I've mentioned this already.

But that CTF by Frantic mentioned a couple posts up sounded quite good. Pity I have not seen it in the browser.

Then why use ArmA? If simple CTF gameplay is all you crave and ArmA isn't up to the job, why persist with the wrong engine?

I also don't see a big problem with teamwork in CTF, as everyone one is aiming for one goal, wich is to get the flag.

LOL, did I miss the point or are you being ironic? biggrin_o.gif (not a flame wink_o.gif)

I think there's room for more options. There's already plenty of simplistic CTF missions, and always more on the way. Is all people are saying wink_o.gif don't like a mission - don't play it.

We were just saying to think outside the box, not add that specific feature. I've mentioned this already.

But that CTF by Frantic mentioned a couple posts up sounded quite good. Pity I have not seen it in the browser.

Thinking outside the box for one game type doesn't remove animations and transitions that impair the whole game. Like Frantic said, the problem is the same for every player although CTF/DM players notice it especially well. Clumsy animations don't serve anyone and it doesn't help coop gameplay. It only makes coop the less impaired mode because the AI politely wait for your move.

Then why use ArmA? If simple CTF gameplay is all you crave and ArmA isn't up to the job, why persist with the wrong engine?

Let me answer to this one. ArmA is exactly the right engine to do it, but a seemingly small fault prevents from enjoying gameplay that needs responsive controls. The PvP community doesn't play the argument classics Unreal or BF2 for obvious reasons - the same as anyone else.

Ok except for fixing the broken transitions (obviously), what would you change about the animations?

(Just so we can get rid of the whole fucking CTF vs COOP discussion, if CTF players get improvements which they desperately need then the COOP crowd will also get those improvements, its a win-win situation.)

Thinking outside the box for one game type doesn't remove animations and transitions that impair the whole game. Like Frantic said, the problem is the same for every player although CTF/DM players notice it especially well. Clumsy animations don't serve anyone and it doesn't help coop gameplay. It only makes coop the less impaired mode because the AI politely wait for your move.

*sigh* I'm going to repeat myself AGAIN. Honestly, if your not going to read the thread then don't post.

I said the animations need to be tweaked. It doesn't impair the whole game. If it did the entire community would be up in arms about it. There's a lot more important stuff that could be fixed first.

Might as well when I'm here. Everyone. Drop the entire CTF v co-op bullshit. They are game modes for fucksake. Eliteist's from both 'sides' need to get their act together (you know who you are). Some people can't except that you can play both MP game modes. It's childish.

Ok except for fixing the broken transitions (obviously), what would you change about the animations?

(Just so we can get rid of the whole fucking CTF vs COOP discussion, if CTF players get improvements which they desperately need then the COOP crowd will also get those improvements, its a win-win situation.)

In addition to transitions and in the movement/control aspect as a whole:

* Faster nade throws

* Faster weapon switching while prone

* More responsive prone-to-run

* More launcher firing and reloading stances

* Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed

* Move with binocs

* Holster pistol and put rifle in back

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence

* Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally

* Allow small moves in crouched sidestep

* Don't change crouch to stand after sprint

* Faster change to prone

* No movement lock during reload

* No cursor jumping while moving

* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom

Frantic already listed some of those and many others have told about them throughout the topic but if you keep dismissing them as "input lag" or delusions, please be happy with your unique copy of ArmA and don't ask the same question over and over.

*sigh* I'm going to repeat myself AGAIN. Honestly, if your not going to read the thread then don't post.

I said the animations need to be tweaked. It doesn't impair the whole game. If it did the entire community would be up in arms about it. There's a lot more important stuff that could be fixed first.

Might as well when I'm here. Everyone. Drop the entire CTF v co-op bullshit. They are game modes for fucksake. Eliteist's from both 'sides' need to get their act together (you know who you are). Some people can't except that you can play both MP game modes. It's childish.

You assume that CTF is unpopular because it doesn't use new tricks, although in OFP the exact same type of maps are popular even now, and that's what I'm after. I'm not putting game modes in versus mode, I'm making a general point that lousy anims don't favor anyone, they just kick some in the head more than others.

I would be happy if they just brought the old ofp control back to the player and lncluded the lean, or bring out the fricken tools so this q person Frantic knows can do the fix BIS should do.

I'm also sure i don't speak for myself either. I already know a list of guys who would play this game if what i said was fixed, alot of them former Ofp players.

My last word on this is, if it isn't going to be fixed. Then BIS has made a big mistake by not fixing a probem that could turn this into a very good game.

You assume that CTF is unpopular because it doesn't use new tricks, although in OFP the exact same type of maps are popular even now, and that's what I'm after. I'm not putting game modes in versus mode, I'm making a general point that lousy anims don't favor anyone, they just kick some in the head more than others.

I mentioned earlier on in the thread that CTF could be unpopular for a number of reasons, not just the animations alone. I put over the idea that a lot of the maps were the same and then it snowballed from there. Again, it is useful if you read the thread before you post. Check out RockofSl's sig' for advice on this.

Can somone report these animation/transitions in the bug list to BIS, I don't know how to or i would. Also when you have done this can you report back with the priority for a fix they give it. If they simply delete it as not a bug, then atleast we know that there not intenting to fix it. I belive this is they only way to find out unless somone from BIS wants to comment here.

Here's our current best hope for fixing the broken anim transitions in ArmA:

http://bugs.armed-assault.net/view.php?id=2053

This mega-entry covers all manner of anim issues, including the dreaded missing transitions.

Fortunately it has been assigned. smile_o.gif

Unfortunately, that was a looooong time ago (submitted 02-27-07, assigned on 03-20-07).  confused_o.gif

Now like I said, it covers a huge amount of anim issues.  (See the notes section within the entry to see what I'm talking about.)  I just wish they'd fix the missing transitions and get that part out ASAP. (as a hotfix perhaps?)  The other stuff, while important, seems less so to me.

Anyone that is bothered by the amin issues in ArmA, if you haven't already, take action, sign up on the BT, and vote for this fix.

Currently this entry has 16 votes.  The entry with the highest number of votes in the BT system has 39 votes.  Guess what?  That one's been fixed.

There's really no reason we shouldn't be able to surpass that talley in short order, given the high-visibility nature of this issue.

In my experience, other games don't have broken animation transitions!  There's no reason at all our beloved ArmA should either.

Raise the priority = all the ugly broken anim transitions in ArmA gets fixed sooner. wink_o.gif

In addition to transitions and in the movement/control aspect as a whole:

* Faster nade throws

* More responsive prone-to-run

* More launcher firing and reloading stances

* Launcher moves with normal movement and turning speed

* Move with binocs

* Holster pistol and put rifle in back

* Stop movement anytime, not after full animation sequence

* Don't put rifle to safe mode when starting sprint diagonally

* Allow small moves in crouched sidestep

* Don't change crouch to stand after sprint

* Faster change to prone

* No movement lock during reload

* No cursor jumping while moving

* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom

Frantic already listed some of those and many others have told about them throughout the topic but if you keep dismissing them as "input lag" or delusions, please be happy with your unique copy of ArmA and don't ask the same question over and over.

Well thank you, obviously this isnt input lag related (though i dont understand all of them), for the first time i actually see a decent list of things wrong with the animations.

Though i doubt that BI will fix all of them (especially the speed of the animations as this is a gameplay choice), i guess you could still make a CTF mod or something bu just changing the animation speed by changing the 'speed' value in the config like in OFP. (Though it seems that the speed value needs positive values nowadays, in OFP you needed negative ones), and you could also 'fix' the up and down aiming by changing the '  minGunElev = -80;

maxGunElev = 60;' values in the characters.pbo. (EDIT: Though that would still leave you with your arms in front of your face when lying down and not using the iron sights)

I now start to see your point, for some reason OFP and ArmA always felt completely natural to me and it never struck me as odd then when i lay down and i want to sprint i have to take at least two steps, actually it still feels natural to me (try it once in RL) but i can imagine that when you compare it to other games those feel much more responsive. (though this is never going to change)

EDIT: Actually, now im rereading this..

Why the hell are you still playing this game?

Obvisouly you want a BF/CoD/Stalker/Any other FPS movement system with the gun stuck on the screen(* Natural vertical aiming all the way to actual top and bottom + * No cursor jumping while moving) and where you are in the movement stance you want in lightning speed (* Faster nade throws

* Faster change to prone), also you dont seem to be using the features like vehicles and the huge area's ArmA offers as you prefer to play locked withing some buildings in some mini map.

Those are all the features what makes this game what it is, if you want to change all of those or dont use them then you might as well play another game right? huh.gif

@ MadRussian

I would sign up and vote, but i cannot find the place to register on that link you gave. Do you have a direct link to the sign up page.

@ ofpforum

I have come to the conclusion that you would swear black was white.

@ ofpforum

If i believed so then yes i would, if you dont defend what you believe then you might as well forget it. tounge2.gif

Though i dont see anything wrong with my last post*, you could at least argue back instead of making sarcastic comments. confused_o.gif

*Yeah, the 'why are you still playing this' probably caused it, though at least i gave a reason contrary to the last 50 people who said that against a CTF'er.

@ ofpforum

If i believed so then yes i would, if you dont defend what you believe then you might as well forget it. tounge2.gif

Though i dont see anything wrong with my last post*, you could at least argue back instead of making sarcastic comments. confused_o.gif

*Yeah, the 'why are you still playing this' probably caused it, though at least i gave a reason contrary to the last 50 people who said that against a CTF'er.

I wasn't been sarcastic, it just seems to me you disagree for the sake of disagreeing. At first you argued that the Arma animations/transitions were the same as Ofp. After god knows how many posts, you were infact proved wrong.

Now when people make a list of fixes (because you asked) your only answer is "go play another game", yet you obviously don't realise there only asking for alot of things that Ofp had.... and since this was suppose to be like Ofp why should they go play another game.

If you like the game with the broken transitions fine. But i am not somone who likes to play football with a deflated ball. Just like i don't like the problems the animations in this game make.

I wasn't been sarcastic, it just seems to me you disagree for the sake of disagreeing. At first you argued that the Arma animations/transitions were the same as Ofp. After god knows how many posts, you were infact proved wrong.

No, i some people here were talking about the control responsiveness (and i made the mistake of thinking you were all talking about that) and yes, that is the same as in OFP. (Hell, i would say that walking on edges of buildings is less clumsy then it was in OFP, maybe you should try it some time in RL instead of comparing it to other games)

Quote[/b] ]Now when people make a list of fixes (because you asked) your only answer is "go play another game", yet you obviously don't realise there only asking for alot of things that Ofp had.... and since this was suppose to be like Ofp why should they go play another game.

Yeah, now i see what you mean i actually think that you bought the wrong game, im probably making a mistake here somewhere because i dont see how OFPs anims were any better then ArmA's (except for the 'holster pistol anim' which is missing in ArmA), you could speed them up with no effort whatsoever but the moment you do that and ask for 'No cursor jumping while moving', and then proceed to not use all the other features that this game offers then yes, i really think you got the wrong game.

(For what it matters, that list has some things i totally agree with like the 'move with binocs', 'holster pistol', being able to break out of the reloading anim, etc etc)

Its like me buying CoD, complaining that everything is too smooth and that my gun never moves, and then asking for more realism, bigger maps and vehicles. You can say whatever you want but that just doesnt make sence. confused_o.gif