Sign in to follow this  
Cpt. FrostBite

OFP2 and "armed assault" - what's up?

BIS I'm just damn love you! Just tell me when this bebe gonna hit shelves. crazy_o.gifghostface.gif

Any technical details on the new engine yet? Like 64bit support, hardware requirements, etc.?

I kind of thinking this is the reason they haven't released this info before, we'll just have to wait and see until next E3 round.

OFP2 info will come last. They have saved the best to the end.

I don`t think whe have to wait for christmas to buy this epansion.I bet whe`ll get it very soon. wink_o.gif

So if I`m understanding this correct then there are 3 titles related to the OPF franchise in the works?

1. OPF for Xbox

2. Armed assault which is a new enhanced version of OPF1 with nicer graphics (and possibly some new goodies?)

3. OPF2

This is excellent news. I've never played CS or CS:S so i dont quite get how you can play OFP with a different engine (wouldn't it muck up the way addons work?), but another expansion pack for OFP can only be a good thing

Now, where's that TakeThat single?

[You have] "Relight my fire, your love is my only desire"

Squirm! Squirm!  biggrin_o.gif

That is what we are here for crazy_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  tounge_o.gif

wohoo.jpg

EDIT: Plz let it be there, it's only ONE kb over the limit (I'll put it down tomorrow)

It`s exactly this. I still can`t belive that this is not a dream. biggrin_o.gif

thank god it anit april the first biggrin_o.gif

Hoping for official info in the very near future. smile_o.gif

Expansion pack. Same game, new features.

Call it a upgrade if you like smile_o.gif

EDIT: Spelling

Expantion pack? Or standalone? It would sell more if it was standalone because not many people still own OPFR right rock.gif

Plus the previous version of the game was heavily patched and was a bit "sensitive".

I really hope its a standalone whole new version of the game and engine, and it problably is considering we already saw pics of island places that were not familiar with.

The new soldier models look nice, i hope they will also make some new and better weapon models to match.

You guys think they will improve the sounds and fix the problems with sblive cards (crashes, crackling, etc), that would be so sweet biggrin_o.gif .

But wait a minute, where's the FP2-info? AA looks good I guess, but I wanna see next-gen, that's what E3's all about. sad_o.gif

I wanted to drool over the prospect of FP2, enjoy the screens and demo's over and over until release...

Wouldn't it be funny if Ralph was part of some big conspiracy to fool you all? rock.gif

tounge_o.gifwink_o.gif

But wait a minute, where's the FP2-info? AA looks good I guess, but I wanna see next-gen, that's what E3's all about. sad_o.gif

I wanted to drool over the prospect of FP2, enjoy the screens and demo's over and over until release...

Today - xbox opf

Tomorrow - Armed Assault

Friday - OPF sequel (OPF2)

smile_o.gif .

Armed Assault is the mythic OFP 1.5 ? !!!

Can't believe my secret dream is becoming true.

Thank you BIS dev team, thank you.

Standalone or expansion, honestly i don't really care : i will buy it.

[spam]thank you^564561[/spam]

Now, me that is between 30 and 40 years old , is feeling like he is 20 years younger now biggrin_o.gif

I understand why BIS wanted to know the current system specs of the community , and not future ones..

All is making totally sense now.

Sweet stuff! I love how BIS is releasing the images of AA and stuff discreetly tounge_o.gif. Can't wait 'till tomorrow biggrin_o.gif.

Quote[/b] ]Hellfish6 Posted on May 18 2005,19:53

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wouldn't it be funny if Ralph was part of some big conspiracy to fool you all?  

Awwww,  Hell!  THAT ain't funny!

Eat your popcorn!  tounge_o.gif

(major squirming goin' on)

This is excellant news. (except for the name  wink_o.gif ) I guess they will have to choose the second name on the list, the one that did make it to the public... Operation: Very Bright Dot. tounge_o.gif lol  When do BIS formally spill the beans ?  blues.gif

This is excellant news. (except for the name wink_o.gif ) When do BIS formally spill the beans ? blues.gif

Woohoo Outstanding!

My guess is tomorrow. unclesam.gifsmile_o.gifbiggrin_o.gifunclesam.gif

Woohoo Outstanding!

My guess is tomorrow. unclesam.gif  smile_o.gif  biggrin_o.gif  unclesam.gif

It is tomorrow here... still no word.. biggrin_o.gif

Thanks colossus i was hoping it would be an expansion, but i just had a feeling since they split with codemasters it would be a standalone game. I hope they include multi weapons on vehicals I always wanted to model a Monitar gunboat and PBR that are brissling with weapons. unclesam.gif

Im confused nobody noticed this.... this AA pic, notice the water? looks like small waves, really nice eh? Imagine it in motion, must be a really cool efect compared with the old static water, and the buildings look like Malden's but with better looking textures maybe, plus the bridge sugests they have made some changes to the islands. I hope the new version of the engine will handle more units and even larger battles with less cpu stress smile_o.gif .

Quote[/b] ]It is tomorrow here... still no word..

Day 1 of E3 2005 is just finishing up right now in LA I'm watching it on G4, you'll have to wait awhile for Day 2 to begin. wink_o.gif

Of all the friggin moments to get narcolepsy... I was dutifully writing my uni CompSci homework of a software use-case feature set list for the Archon Bank of Cardassia - crazy_o.gif I kid you not, the textbook author's a rank A psychotic - on one monitor while F5'ing all the threads on the other monitor, then my head drops on the keyboard. I got woken up by some kid at the door, then come back to THIS??!!! Holy Hand Grenades of Antioch, Babylon, and Shanghai!

This is one area though that dev for current console is better than for future console. Like Ralphie said (if he is to be trusted on this, what with the mod's slacking off on dealing with Mr. Jordan and Mr. Derek and all), the current Xbox is just a very light-weight version of a current PC, meaning that the code should be almost as-is portable back and forth.

Xbox360 dev however is totally different with the new architecture. That's why dev for that platform won't help dev for the PC, but dev for old Xbox has a huge help for the PC.

Quote[/b] ]

... cs and cs:source ...

makes as much confusion as it does sense though imho. You don't play HL1 CS in CS:Source, it's a technically a completely new product that mirrors what the old product did. With Quake-derived products, there is two components to the game engine, the graphics renderer, and the game logic and configurations. Same thing in source, except that the physics was moved up into the core engine as a library available to the game logic.

(o)FP is not coded that way, EVERYTHING outside the component enumeration is in the exe. Logic, renderer (which we no longer care about), physics (same), net code (good grief, put the old crippled horse down), etc. The implication is that to do it "right" there would be a new "Freecraft"-ish mod running inside the AA core application. It's a brilliant idea if that's correct, among other minor details would go a very long ways to reducing Mod Wars and providing a much more enhanced MP environment.

But, in the mean time, let's see all the console haters pick up a copy just to boost market share. I don't plan on getting an Xbox ever, I prefer to play games with my mind, not my thumbs. That doesn't prevent me from buying a copy of the Xbox game for the sole purpose of collectorship and boosting BIS's quarterly revenue, which I intend to do. There's a steady interest in rescuing old copies of (o)FP from pitiful fates at used games resellers - I've done that twice so far, no reason we can't do the same for the Xbox game even if we hate consoles.

Fantastic news. I figured OFP 2 was at a minimum a year away. Realistically 2 even. An expansion / upgrade will work wonders for tiding me over. I would be thrilled if the only improvement is in rendering speed. I can get my ofp to do 95% of what I want it to, I just can't get my computer to keep up!

biggrin_o.gif Christmas in the summer xmas_o.gif