Callsign

Western Sahara CDLC Unofficial Discussion

Hi all,

I've just seen the new announcement for the Western Sahara CDLC from Rotators Collective - https://arma3.com/news/arma-3-creator-dlc-western-sahara-is-coming-soon

I figured we should have an unofficial discussion thread.

I hope this fleshes out the setting developed by @Lexx's great 'Dunes' mod (https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1731998436), and alluded to in Bohemia's own Tac Ops DLC.

It's interesting that we're playing as ION again - do you think we'll see a similar portrayal as in Arma 2 PMC DLC?

Just fyi for the devs however - 'Assistance' is spelt incorrectly on the side of this helo - (FIXED)

Edited by Callsign
Got rid of old picture
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I am absolutely happy to see some new content for the Arma 2035 setting coming....hopefully there will be more following 🙂

• Like 4

Super excited for this but just one question, can we ride the camel? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Dunes has been the only decent desert terrain on ArmA 3, severely handicapped by its size. I've been looking forward to an expansion like this, even better as its coming from @lexx

• Like 4

God damn that screenshot. I've already fixed it, though:

Spoiler

TclmpPc.png

• Like 8

Really looking forward to this @lexx - if it's anything like your previous work it'll be definitely worth getting!

• Like 2

Oh, this looks great! Genuinely excited to check it out.

• Like 1

I am very excited for this! It will be cool to broaden the 2035 content and makes for an interesting setting. Really curious to see how the open world dynamic scenario "Extraction" will work - this sort of development always gets me pumped! The idea sounds cool. Based on the screenshots the map looks beautiful and authentic, the new factions will add more depth as will the weapons and vehicles. What's not to love about this?! 

At the low price point (£6.99 / $7) there is so much value for your money but let's see how many people bitch about the cost. 😞 I'd personally pay that for the map and a camel 😄

• Like 1

At first I've read the name of this CDLC and thought: "Hmm, POLISARIO vs Morocco, old good cold war assets... That's pretty good!". And then saw the screenshots... No, thanks.

@lexx

I don't if you saw the post I put on your steam gage for Dunes over a year, and a half ago, but I assumed you were working on a CDLC. Your Dunes project seem like a showcase for BI as a CDLC pitch. 

Anyway, the CDLC looks awesome, good luck with the project. Now I have to find a way to clear out 50 gigs of hard drive space so I can get this. 

• Like 1

Yes, Dunes was a test project, but also somewhat unintentionally. We were already working on a CDLC at the time (not officially, though). Dunes was made because I needed a break from everything and just wanted to release something completely fresh asap. Once it was out, and almost everyone responded to it positively (still 96% of the reviews today, it never went blow that number), I've decided to shift the focus to what we have now.

• Like 3

ION? Bring back the old SUV!
Libia 2019
ECt91rSXoAAO_2p?format=jpg&name=medium

Edited by zukov
add image
  • Like 3

arma3_dlc_creator_westernsahara_screensh

Question: there seem to be new variants of the AMV marshall, how was this done? Was the marshall recreated, or did BI give the unencrypted files to the cDLC creator?

If the later, this suggests it could happen again, or even that A3 sample models for the base game may be out soon?

• Like 2

We got the source model for the modifications. Regarding A3 sample models we don't have any information and it's unrelated to the CDLC.

2 hours ago, lexx said:

We got the source model for the modifications. Regarding A3 sample models we don't have any information and it's unrelated to the CDLC.

60 mm mortar? it doesn't even scratch the ground

@lexx did they also allow access to the source model for the Mohawk? If so is adding armament something you guys could potentially do down the road?

If i can make one suggestion after trying the Dunes campaign - please please please get rid of the Mission Failed Type scenarios if one things go wrong. I just started that campaign and I guess I didnt keep the Drone quite high enough and BOOM! -Mission Failed -go set it all up again....This is the anti-OFP scripted type gimmick that plagued us im not sure where it started -maybe Arma 2 if one squad member died? 

Remember Steal the car of After Montignac -those missions were all about things going FUBAR and then then strategizing your way out of it. Automatic "stay in the mission lines or Lose" is just not the OFP way. We need sandbox -if things go wrong -its really not that hard to create mission derivatives

• Like 3

1 hour ago, froggyluv said:

- please please please get rid of the Mission Failed Type scenarios if one things go wrong.

We don't have missions like that in the cdlc.

@odie0351 Sadly I can't say much about possible future content. Nobody knows yet.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, lexx said:

We don't have missions like that in the cdlc.

@odie0351 Sadly I can't say much about possible future content. Nobody knows yet.

Glad to hear cause I really wanted to play that mission out -mostly because im a sucker for sand dunes. It just seemed liked whatever I tried with that drone i find a way to fail.. Anyways good luck with your venture -hope theres some free roaming fun with real feelings of accomplishments ie Promotions, Medals etc..and maybe a Press corp to avoid as they could be a factor in how the world perceives the action there

Yeah, Dunes isn't exactly well balanced. I was thinking of rebalancing it again and fixing some stuff, etc. at some point, but just never really got the time for that anymore. Also it looks like I'll have to do some fixes in Minotaur at some point as well.. :x

• Like 1

Since I'm not a fan of arid maps or the 2035 timeline, this is an easy pass for me. However, I'm not a hater just because something isn't to my liking, so I wish the creators the best of luck and hope that those with an interest in this CDLC will get something that they will truly enjoy. 🙂

• Like 2

On 10/28/2021 at 9:02 PM, lexx said:

We got the source model for the modifications.

I'm guessing this holds true for the pickups and the old style hmg with a ballistic shield.

Bi being willing to share the source files opens up so many possibilities, but they will all be behind paywalls for a while, and this makes it less likely they will release the files anytime soon I guess.

I would love to be able to mod the A3 models.

Anyway, since you have the marshall source files, any chance you could increase the armor thickness for the driver? It always bugged me that the driver could be killed by even 7.62 (and 6.5mm? I forget) from the front.

I can accept the gunner and commander being vulnerable to 50 cal HMGs from the turret sides+although I think they are also vulnerable to 7.62 and maybe 6.5mm from the sides), but 7.62 from the front? Come on.

Any chance of a Marid with an auto cannon? A panther?

An upgunned ifrit with the 20mm cannon of the nyx, etc... These are things I would really like to make if I had access to the source files.

It's all decided on a case-by-case basis, so sadly we can't say what will happen in the future.