Hello,

2 hours ago, specialsmith said:

Hi Genesis, and thanks for such a great mod! I really love your work. I've been trying to explore the different AI mods and find the perfect for my small gang playing on our dedi server, and yours is the chose one currently. And has been for while. I also made a couple of simple AI behaviour tests and posted them to YouTube just last week.

But one question that bugs me: Does Vcom AI work out of the box with any units in general ? I'm speaking of mods obviously. I'm wondering because I find these mods in Steam from respectful addon/mission makers like the VCOM AI OPFOR FACTIONS for CUP that leads me to think if Vcom actually works without these additional addons? Or what are the benefits you get with these addons like linked above?

Thanks for your time, and thanks for the great work!

Hello,

I created the VCOM factions and yes, VCOM works on any unit out of the box.  What I did for both my VCOM factions and what we are doing with Community Factions Project (CFP) is we created specific static weapon groups that take advantage of the ability of units to dynamically set up mortars, machine guns, etc. with VCOM active.  It really takes the game to another level when you have AI that will set up a mortar, pummel the hell out of you, then disassemble the mortar and keep moving. 

That's the major addition that we added.  We also have UAV groups that will dynamically utilize the UAVs they are carrying.  Again..due to VCOM.  Works for both 2.0 and 3.0.

@feddo3000 

I know the only way to really know is to setup and see what works and what issues it gives. They is a command code to prevent the script/mod to run on selected groups. What I was thinking is to just add a few extra groups into my missions that will use VCON only to have a wild card in the missions but 90% of the groups will not use VCON by using the command code to prevent it from working so why would it interfer with the other patrol scripts like UPS USPS and MCC GIAI ?

Hello,

Hello,

I created the VCOM factions and yes, VCOM works on any unit out of the box.  What I did for both my VCOM factions and what we are doing with Community Factions Project (CFP) is we created specific static weapon groups that take advantage of the ability of units to dynamically set up mortars, machine guns, etc. with VCOM active.  It really takes the game to another level when you have AI that will set up a mortar, pummel the hell out of you, then disassemble the mortar and keep moving. 

That's the major addition that we added.  We also have UAV groups that will dynamically utilize the UAVs they are carrying.  Again..due to VCOM.  Works for both 2.0 and 3.0.

Thanks for the reply autigergrad. Got it. So by default those factions just don’t have a group of suitable type defined for them?

Btw, side topic, but how does it work with CFP. I mean I am quite interested about it and just deployed it to our server. Does it replace some of the units of the CUP? Or just skins? If a mission is made with CUP units longer time ago, will running CFP replace the potentially uglier CUP units?

Really, thanks for the work you do with the mods mentioned. Superb! And the great missions too! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, specialsmith said:

Thanks for the reply autigergrad. Got it. So by default those factions just don’t have a group of suitable type defined for them?

Btw, side topic, but how does it work with CFP. I mean I am quite interested about it and just deployed it to our server. Does it replace some of the units of the CUP? Or just skins? If a mission is made with CUP units longer time ago, will running CFP replace the potentially uglier CUP units?

Really, thanks for the work you do with the mods mentioned. Superb! And the great missions too! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CFP factions are already set up to take advantage of VCOM..i.e. all CFP factions have dynamic static weapons teams and several also have UAV units.  So it's just plug and play.  We revamp several CUP factions as well and add dynamic static groups to those as well, along with our own custom factions.  So again, it's plug and play with VCOM.

@genesis92x 

I setup a town battle with about 12 vs 12 various Squad groups and a few armor vehicles on both sides lookwith a few static weapon located throughout the town.  My first impression was holy shit  wow what a epic battle that is taking place with just only placement of groups.  Great unit movements flanking finding cover suppressing fire ect.  

No units took empty static positions that I put around the town!

After around 15 minutes or so the blufor side won and then I noticed after around  another 1O minutes the remaining blufor units we're still in combat mode moving far away from the original AO in combat mode. No opfor units where left on the map but blufor still in combat mode moving around the map. This was a little puzzling to me. If I am going to use your script/mod in a design mission. 

I typically make missions that have about three to five sections with different AO when you clear out one section and complete the objectives you move to the next AO. I always have set units in the AO's and random patrols  linking all the AO together . So when you completed section and move to the next there can be possibly contact with random units on patrol.

Do your units ever go back to Safe aware and limited speed after a set time? Because it looks and will play pretty silly if you are moving to a new AO and before contact is made the enemy units are in combat mode crawling and moving to cover to cover. Has anyone ever stated this before to you.  Is there a way to set the units on the map to go  back to Safe and limited speed for the new waypoints that are generated when no enemy units are in the area. 

Just my observation and thoughts. 

Does anyone know how to set the AI back to Safe mode and limited speed if no enemy units with the default 1000 meter AO. 

AI is great when in a direct firefight but if section is clear looks pretty dumb with the  AI running crawling moving to cover the cover. 

Does not seem to really work for long setup missions only direct combat missions maybe I am missing something here but how and why would you use this in a long multi section Mission design I don't see how this would work.

On 2018-07-14 at 1:59 AM, avibird 1 said:

Does anyone know how to set the AI back to Safe mode and limited speed if no enemy units with the default 1000 meter AO. 

AI is great when in a direct firefight but if section is clear looks pretty dumb with the  AI running crawling moving to cover the cover. 

Does not seem to really work for long setup missions only direct combat missions maybe I am missing something here but how and why would you use this in a long multi section Mission design I don't see how this would work.

In the current way that VCOM is configured, no, other than disabling VCOM on the unit until they are in combat.

That really sucks. AI combat is great but really can't use with design missions only as reinforcements in AO with a trigger. You can't have units running like chickens in a AO that was cleared out.

Hope the author would consider in a update with this Script.

14 hours ago, avibird 1 said:

That really sucks. AI combat is great but really can't use with design missions only as reinforcements in AO with a trigger. You can't have units running like chickens in a AO that was cleared out.

Hope the author would consider in a update with this Script.

You may want to look into the previous version of VCOM, it is a bit more fleshed out and works a lot more on the micro level. This however comes at the cost of performance, something that 3.0 sought to resolve, though in my opinion too many features were lost in the process.

I use it before all the updates with Arma and the script it's self.  Yes it was very system heavy for my machine with a lot of lag and FPS drop but this new update is great no lag or major FPS drop. The combat is awesome but like I said can't really use it for partols in a mission design with AI running around in combat mode all the time. Hope it could be modified so if no enemy contact after X amount of time units will switch to safe aware and limited speed. ?

Hello, I run a Chernarus Redux Exile Server including VCOM AI and it works great. unfortunately the AI controlled vehicles have a problem with the roadblocks on the map. they get stuck, get jammed etc. is it somehow possible to install a kind of timer that deletes all vehicles/units that have moved e.g. for 10 minutes less than 50 meters?

Hi,

Groups don't move after they have a hold waypoint even if there is a trigger activating the next move waypoint. I tried with doFollow but it doesn't work either. Also put a hint on the hold waypoint testing for completion but it never does. Any clues?

19 hours ago, b3lx said:

Hi,

Groups don't move after they have a hold waypoint even if there is a trigger activating the next move waypoint. I tried with doFollow but it doesn't work either. Also put a hint on the hold waypoint testing for completion but it never does. Any clues?

Hold waypoints with VCOM have a different functionality, namely they cause the AI to garrison. You could instead use a move waypoint linked to a trigger to get the same result as for what you're trying to achieve.

Ok, thanks, I ended up doing that. But wouldn't it be better for VCOM to use its own garrison waypoint so that the hold waypoint used in some missions could preserve its vanilla functionality?

Also I noticed that quite often when I approach recently killed enemies I get blown by an explosion. First I thought this was some kind of suicide vest used in the enemy faction and it seemed quite well thought, but then I saw this happen with other factions as well. I looked into VCOM and I get the feeling that this behaviour could be caused by AI having planted a mine just where it sat and then when the enemy unit died the script would consider it was safe for the mine to go off. Can somebody confirm this, since I have not been able to reproduce this behaviour on test?

Hello there @genesis92x  !

I'm using the Vcom script 3.0 .

Does this also includes the scripts for the vcom driving script or i need to use this also?

Thanks !

2 hours ago, GEORGE FLOROS GR said:

Hello there @genesis92x  !

I'm using the Vcom script 3.0 .

Does this also includes the scripts for the vcom driving script or i need to use this also?

Thanks !

Hey @GEORGE FLOROS GR I don't think the Vcom driving has been updated for while and since the developers updates on the AI driving the overall pathfing of the AI is a lot better so I feel the driving script is not needed anymore. With that said the AI will still hit pedestrians and friendly units so I am using a code to allow only damaged after a hit but after multiple hits the unit will die. Most of the times the units will go incapacitated and I have AI healing scripts running to patch them up. If you want the code I will post it I'm not at my computer right now.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, avibird 1 said:

AI driving

Thanks  avibird 1 for the reply !

• Thanks 1

I posted on the driving mod thread in Dec -

I also want to use the Standard Vcom AI V2.94 which I understand had some driving improvements added at some point,  but it does not appear to have the same level of object avoidance as the seperate 'VCOM AI Driving mod'. If I try and run them at the same time it seems to revert to only Vcom AI V2.94 driving and takes none of the improvements from the separate Driving mod.

But since then I tested the union of the 2 mods after release of Vcom AI 3 - and it seems you now can run them both at the same time and benefit from the separate driving mod - which I can confirm after numerous runs of the same scenario still performs better than Vanilla driving AI skills - particularly in instances when there is a large road block for example model of crashed helicopter, vanilla could not make it around at all, Vcom AI driving got around it no problem!

Try and test it yourself - you should see the same results, just put loads of different hazards in a road and waypoint a vehicle to drive through them all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@GEORGE FLOROS GR  I put this code in a game logic on the map

{
   _x setVariable ["selections", []];
   _x setVariable ["gethit", []];

_x addEventHandler 
   [    "HandleDamage",
       {
           _unit = _this select 0;
           _selections = _x getVariable ["selections", []];
           _gethit = _x getVariable ["gethit", []];
           _selection = _this select 1;
           _projectile = _this select 4;
           if !(_selection in _selections) then
           {
               _selections set [count _selections, _selection];
               _gethit set [count _gethit, 0];
           };
           _i = _selections find _selection;
           _olddmg = _gethit select _i;
           _curdmg = _this select 2;
           if (_projectile == "") then {
               _newdmg = _olddmg + (_curdmg - _olddmg) / 40;
               _gethit set [_i, _newdmg];
               _newdmg;
           }  
           else
           {
           _curdmg; 
           };
       }
   ];
} forEach allUnits;  

works well for my needs. It gives the units hit by the AI drivers to get healed and back into the mission. If the get hit by a fast moving tank one hit they will die right away. If a unit falls from a roof top not to high they can still get fix up if someone is around to help them. I like this fix for the dumb AI driving for sure. I did not really see much of a difference with the AI driving in a standard town with no major road blocks setup. May it still has some use in a town with many road blocks setup ? will need to test again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Does vcom affect heli pilots at all? I received feedback that AI pilots do not land at their designated (scripted) LZ with vcom enabled. Without vcom this issue does not occur.

Similarly, how does VCOM handle AI engaging aircraft/ helicopters? I've been noticing that static weapons on the ground, technicals, 7.62 MG's and the like seem to be incredibly accurate at killing the pilots of helicopters, even when the helicopter is banking away at 150-170 KMH. This hasn't been a one-off, but has been happening consistently. Is this just normal, and I need to avoid helicopters when static 50. weapons are around, or has VCOM done anything to change it?

Hello guys, please advice, how to make AI patrolling specific area? Will BIS_fnc_taskPatrol work with VCOM AI?

I believe not. Vcom will make it's own waypoints and if you read a few post above you will see one of my post about Vcom units will always have a combat Full speed setup once the contact is made. Vcom is not a patrol script it's a combat enhancement script for the AI. GAIA, T8 Units - a less dynamic AI creator, USPS, DAC  and UPS (must use no share prameter to prevent units being on combat alert all the time), UPMONS pretty much broken don't use. 

If you want a partol script use the ones I stated abour. I was very disappointed to find out that Vcom is not a real partol script. It's great for calling in for reinforcements to an AO but not a setup partol script due to the fact that units are always in alert combat full speed.

• Like 1

Oh, ok, thank you for the clarification, saved me some amount of time, what you will use to random spawn small group or two in designated areas?