devildog

Arma 4 a look to the future

2 hours ago, Flash-Ranger said:

Arma 4 was already announced a few weeks ago in a SITREP .....

Quote?

Pet peeve but, it goes (Post OFP ofc) :   Arma: Armed Assault, ArmA 2, ArmA 3.....I would imagine ArmA 4 :grinning:

2 hours ago, Flash-Ranger said:

Source?

I would like, to have some. Multiplayer game modes with the tanks dlc.

Once you finish all the single player missions. There is nothing else to do with the game.

It needs some MP game modes to extend arma 3. Until arma 4 arrives.

Edited by esfumato
Mistakes

Fantastic news! With each iteration of Arma getting better and better, I can only imagine the treats we have in store with Arma 4.

Going to be honest, I’m still having a blast with Arma 3!!!!!

• Like 5

23 hours ago, Flash-Ranger said:

Not really announced but they said it was a possibility - but not before quite a while though.

Just check the previous sitrep.

• Like 1

Awesome! I wonder what new changes will come with a new engine. Hopefully easier customization for us that like to edit.

I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a couple of years until ARMA 4 is ready to be released. They said Tanks is their last "announced" title which means we might get another Expansion. I hope we get another Expansion! Modders have been working on Aegis, which is unofficial but still cool that something so grand is being done. I'm sure BIS is aware of the progress modders have done to the Vanilla game. Surely BIS can combine what modders have done to make another all-in-one Expansion pack, similar to what Operation Arrowhead was to ARMA 2.

I don't think there's anything more coming to ArmA3, devs have been shunted away from the game already, and devbranch updates are slow-ish, especially for the code (there's been a big burst recently, but that's explicitly Tanks-related). I suspect that the art team will get a new assignment after the DLC. I'm actually really excited for the prospect of ArmA finally growing beyond the limitations of the RV engine. Also, I hope that the plot will be written by the same team that did Laws of War.

On the other hand, I hope they won't try some kind of drastic "reimagining" of the series. The new engine could allow for Take On-level interactivity, better graphics, performance and so on, but IMO, basic gameplay should be retained, especially the parts that were developed in ArmA3 DLCs.

I don't care that there is a new engine. All I care about is AI! Combat tactics, driving and flying... Simple really ;) 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Spin Tires, but with actual gameplay and purpose.

Oh, and make it mid-late 80s/early 90s (your M16A1/A2s, G3s, FALs and such) about some fictious "post-soviet power vacuum brawl" or "generic african bush war".

Realistic retrowave so to speak. It's awesome nostalgia for us "older" gents and cool kids love that stuff too. You'll sell boatloads of it.

Make purposeful, iterative and modular AI system as well. That won't hurt fo sure.

Moving and merging thread with the Arma4 thread. 

On 2/21/2018 at 2:01 PM, esfumato said:

Once you finish all the single player missions. There is nothing else to do with the game.

Mp is one minute aspect of the game, surely you know about Armaholic, and steam workshop, you do know the game has a full fledged 2d/3d editor too,

you do know there's thousands of sp,mp, coop missions, and hundreds of mods, something for everyone and then some, including scripts, code, map building,

and everything else in between, game isn't limited to what you see on the menu under the scenarios, or mp missions, its quite diverse, suggest you explore, you'll be surprise at what you find.

• Like 1

I can only repeat what I wrote before ArmA 3 release.

The future is a bad place for computer games. I dotn wat to sit in front of a computer pretending to play a guy sitting in front of an computer controlling a drone to call artillery fore onto Thermal dots on a screen.

In Games the most interestign settign it the time when most things had to be doen by MK.I Eyeball and handywork.

The late 70's early 80's would deliver that perfectly, with soem rare clunky "high tech" but mostly infantry and armour handwork noch much differnt then WW2.

But it should not be another Vietnam game. A cold war era conflict but not the usual "cold war gone hot theme" maybe more something in style of the falklands conflict.

• Like 1

What I'd like to see is a campaign or mission based on actual events.

I'm of the opinion that the game should be set in the present day or up to but no more futuristic than Arma 3 is. That eliminates the issue of trying to predict the future or focus too much on fancy drone swarms or anything.

The best setting for Arma 4 is the one that is the most generalized. It needs to be designed to be flexible to suit as many periods as possible. That rules out anything in the past. The past has less tech, the future has more. It's always easier to remove features than add them, so if you want to play in WWII or the cold war, that's what mods are for. Picking a setting in the past limits the scope of the game. If the game took place during WWII there would be no guided weapons, leaving modders to have to do all the footwork, which is why I can safely rule out the possibility of that happening, since the average Arma player probably wants to fight in a modern setting. I too prefer the iron sights, map and compass style of playing but that's something that's easy to create by simply avoiding the items you don't want to use.

Personally I'm the most interested in seeing missiles get a proper flight and guidance model, it's the biggest sore thumb in Arma 3.

Agree on the low tech being more fun but can I just say that its FUCKING AWESOME theres really gonna be an Arma 4!!

Oh I agree, I've been hoping for some official confirmation that there will be an Arma 4, even though it was pretty obvious it was going to happen.

I have so much to say about improvements that can be made to guided weapons and sensors, I just hope BI will be willing to spend some time focusing on bringing them up to the quality of the rest of the game.

I have one wish about Arma 4, to make the environment new.
Snowy, tundra, heavy forest, eventually big modern city.

No desert, no jungle, no middle forest. It has been several times here.
And ideal time, where game is play? 1980-2020.

• Like 1

I`d like more realistic animations. I want a better grenade throw animation where you actually take grenade out of your vest. And I`d want proper animations for entering and leaving vehicles where you actually open the door and you take a sit, not that you just spawn inside.

I See Arma as a Very Good Open World Simulator Fps, and Like Arma 3  you can always do Mods to go To WW 1 and WW 2 or whatever you want to Go, But i Think Arma 4 Must Be a Modern War, When you see the VBS3 Graphics Quality  " you feel that you need to be there " enjoy the Game Visuals Quality & Immersive Experience when you shoot the Weapons, of Course Everybody Who likes ARMA want a Arma 3 look like but with some changes and Improvements .

One More Think ...I´was a Battlefield Player since Battlefield 1942 ...2,3,4,1 & Bad Company 2 and was feeling the need to someting different ....and when i tryed King Of the Hill, i Simply Unistalled Origin !!!

See you in Arma

T3AMRR 

Escape from Tarkov has plenty of cool realistic mechanics that the next Arma should definitely have. Tbh,  EFT looks more realistic than Arma, at least in videos that I watched. Arma 4 needs to implement some EFT mechanics.

I think Arma 3 has enough great features, mostly in the Aiming, stance, and overall feel of the Shooter element of the game that i would be extremely disappointed if they didn't make it into a future Arma. In terms of the engine though, there's a few things that should be looked into seriously.

-View Distance overhaul = Pretty much joining where the next generation of games is going, and finally get rid of the fake fog view limitations.

-World map and Optimizations = Most games these days are mind blowing with what they can achieve. Arma's strong point was vast open sandbox, but after seeing some games development breaking into next gen Worlds, and features such as server meshing/streaming, essentially allowing larger players per server(s), and having multiple servers on one map, going from one area to another means streaming into another server, essentially stitched together creating an environment capable of hosting 200-500 players in the same area simultaneously.

I'm suddenly tired so ill continue some other time. I meant to go into more detail with some really interesting things Arma could do and still stay true to it's genre and grow.