Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

I'll follow up on what Road Runner mentioned earlier...

In my opinion...running a program like Process Lasso, or other resource managing software is a major key to keeping your FPS high.

I have an i5-4670k processor with a GTX970 Video card and I average over 40 FPS on our server, which we run long term ALiVE campaigns on with 100s of virtualized profiles, units, etc. on the map.  Rarely do I ever go below 30 FPS in a session.

ARMA is by no means "unplayable" in my experience at 32 bit and as others have said, ARMA appears to be much more "CPU intensive" than "GPU intensive".  Managing and reducing the applications/processes running int he background had me gain about 15 FPS when I started using it.  I'd definitely recommend it regardless of if you are using the 32 bit or 64 bit executables.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, autigergrad said:

I'll follow up on what Road Runner mentioned earlier...

In my opinion...running a program like Process Lasso, or other resource managing software is a major key to keeping your FPS high.

I have an i5-4670k processor with a GTX970 Video card and I average over 40 FPS on our server, which we run long term ALiVE campaigns on with 100s of virtualized profiles, units, etc. on the map.  Rarely do I ever go below 30 FPS in a session.

ARMA is by no means "unplayable" in my experience at 32 bit and as others have said, ARMA appears to be much more "CPU intensive" than "GPU intensive".  Managing and reducing the applications/processes running int he background had me gain about 15 FPS when I started using it.  I'd definitely recommend it regardless of if you are using the 32 bit or 64 bit executables.

Would you recommend it for someone that doesn't run any programs in the background? I don't kill any hidden processes or anything, but when I play Arma, I run only Arma, Steam and Xpadder (along with Precision X for fan cooling) and that's it.

Does Windows 10 run a ton of crap automatically that I wouldn't notice that Process Lasso would keep in check? I can't really tell if this kind of program would benefit me or not.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HeroesandvillainsOS said:

Would you recommend it for someone that doesn't run any programs in the background? I don't kill any hidden processes or anything, but when I play Arma, I run only Arma, Steam and Xpadder (along with Precision X for fan cooling) and that's it.

Does Windows 10 run a ton of crap automatically that I wouldn't notice that Process Lasso would keep in check? I can't really tell if this kind of program would benefit me or not.

Yes it does, it frees up a LOT of RAM into the bargain, I've used RAZER Cortex for years, and it shuts down things that you don't see normally, Windows 10 is RAM hungry, try it out, I personally feel that it gives me 5-10% increase in FPS.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nikiforos said:

So disappointed with the 64-bit, no benefits at all.

I've maintained right from the beginning that people expecting 64 bit exe to be the Messiah and cure all the FPS issues were going to be disappointed.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, nikiforos said:

So disappointed with the 64-bit, no benefits at all.

Anyone who has spent ten minutes with the 64 bit version will disagree with this sweeping statement. FPS aside, for the many posts that explain why, the game is simply smoother for the 64 bit option.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, road runner said:

Yes it does, it frees up a LOT of RAM into the bargain, I've used RAZER Cortex for years, and it shuts down things that you don't see normally, Windows 10 is RAM hungry, try it out, I personally feel that it gives me 5-10% increase in FPS.

It isn't just RAM use to consider.

Some Windows services - whatever version of Windows you have -  not only consume RAM but gobble a lot of CPU cycles. However, if you don't know what you are doing you can render your machine unbootable, so use a guide or/and use Razer's Cortex to turn off unnecessary services.

IME the definitive site is Black Viper's, which has been my source of guidance for about 15 years. The "Tweaked" listings free up the most RAM and CPU cycles. I changed the FPS in Helo's Altis benchmark from 27 (stock Win 7 64 Pro SP1 install) to 40 just by tailoring what services were allowed to run.

http://www.blackviper.com

(One resource-hogging service can be replaced with a much better tool. Disable 'Indexing' and install 'Agent Ransack' instead. An award-winning, very fast search program in 32- and 64-bit versions, it can search inside files for keywords/phrases/regularexpressions; even inside .exe and .pbo files. Only file type I've seen it fail on is Outlook database file. Oh, and it's FREE :)

Razer Cortex (I still use the older version, 'Game Booster') is a good solution. For those not wanting to run it, it's a case of using Task Manager to investigate what processes and non-windows services are running and researching which can be safely shut down. There are lots of websites which have listings of what various processes are & what they do; StartPage is your friend.

Important: NEVER use msconfig to change services. It is disastrously easy make your system unbootable. It even has the utterly demented feature of a "disable all" button FFS.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rich_R said:

Anyone who has spent ten minutes with the 64 bit version will disagree with this sweeping statement. FPS aside, for the many posts that explain why, the game is simply smoother for the 64 bit option.

They game is smooth with 32 bit as I run it with SSD and a good system.. Maybe players with low end systems will appreciate it more.  Personally I'm only interested in higher minimum  FPS.

I tested the x64 build early this year and the main deal was, no more crashes because of memory limits. I went back to stable branch for mp after my curiosity was satisfied. Yesterday for example (x32), i had 3 crashes during a hefty sp mission after loading a savegame so many times when the game was nearing 3.8gb memeory usage. Even if x64 only helps preventing game crashes, that'll be enough for me atm. 

@abudabi, there is no frametime on your picture. It is FPS. May you give your frametime, thank you.

With the exciting news that the 64 bit option is making it onto the main branch, will anyone here who has been 'living' on the dev version create a quick cheat sheet of best practices and tips for those of us who only visited?

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Rich_R said:

With the exciting news that the 64 bit option is making it onto the main branch, will anyone here who has been 'living' on the dev version create a quick cheat sheet of best practices and tips for those of us who only visited?

Thanks!

Don't use the Arma3 Launcher. It's totally FUBAR in both 32-bit and 64-bit incarnations, because Valve have fucked up the Steam client on which the A3 launcher depends.

There will almost certainly be issues with the 64-bit client, but progressing BIS' exceptional game (rather than Vave's shoddilyy incompetent software) requires that, as far as possible, these are demarcated from problems originating with the STEAMing pile of  ****. Use a competent community launcher (I use Arma3sync, there are others) to launch the game. True they, won't update your files or hunt out dependencies - but it doesn't takethat  much time to do this by other means  - much less than having to reinstall & re-downlaod all your mods.

• Like 1

I don't know what issues YOU are having with the Launcher, but not everyone is having those issues.  I most certainly am not with either 32 Bit or DEV 64 Bit.  Unless this issue cropped up in the last 12 hours or so.

• Like 2

What?!? I love the launcher. Maybe a glitch 1 outta 100 tries but considering the ease it loads dependencies and updates mods makes it well worth it. The community ones are well intentioned but I get lost using them.

• Like 5

I am a big fan of the BIS launcher. Wish we had it years ago.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, ruPal said:

@abudabi, there is no frametime on your picture. It is FPS. May you give your frametime, thank you.

7 hours ago, abudabi said:

I mean that there is no frametime on your screenshots. It is FPS, not frametime, look at coordinate axis - it says FPS. That is why I asked you to post frametime because you are talking about stable frametime.

23 hours ago, ski2060 said:

I don't know what issues YOU are having with the Launcher, but not everyone is having those issues.  I most certainly am not with either 32 Bit or DEV 64 Bit.  Unless this issue cropped up in the last 12 hours or so.

It isn't just me - far from it - and it's been broken for months.

BIS say it's broken. Valve agreed. Valve currently releasing updates in an effort to fix it.

You aren't having a problem, however, so of course all the above must be wrong.

15 minutes ago, orcinus said:

It isn't just me - far from it - and it's been broken for months.

BIS say it's broken. Valve agreed. Valve currently releasing updates in an effort to fix it.

You aren't having a problem, however, so of course all the above must be wrong.

Any sources to your claims on either BI statements or valve statements about the broken launcher?

Game runs fine here, always using default launcher.

64bit executable running silky smooth here.

Cheers

2 minutes ago, DELTA_ 44 said:

what problems have the BIS launcher? For the 64 bit version....

The launcher operates through the STEAM client. The STEAM client is broken, hence the Launcher is unavoidably affected. It won't make any difference whether the client is 32- or 64-bit.

Some good news - the latest beta client has apparently resolved the disappearing-mods issue for one user. See this thread:

7 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

Any sources to your claims on either BI statements or valve statements about the broken launcher?

Game runs fine here, always using default launcher.

64bit executable running silky smooth here.

Cheers

Hi m8

The main thread is here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/202299-workshop-continuously-trying-to-update-a-zero-byte-file/

There are several relevant other threads cited in the later posts. A search can likely turn up others.

A key post is this one from BI dev BIS_Wizard.

Among those affected was Foxhound (of Armaholic) - not exactly either a newbie or PC illiterate.

Ciao

Could you please continue this completely off-topic discussion in those actual threads about the launcher?

• Like 1