Jump to content
Richard.biely

64-bit Executables Feedback

Recommended Posts

Can we get a mod to run through here and clean up all the idiots that have leaked in. I'm interested in feedback about the x64 build, not random armchair developers opinions on DX12 or anything else not specific to the build in question.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Greenfist said:

I did exactly that some time ago. Except with Fraps, because AB didn't save every single frame, only at refresh intervals.

I don't think I kept the results, so I can't show them here, but there was a slight difference in low frametimes. Something like 50% less frames below 15-20fps when the whole average was around 32.

Graphs will be good. If still have them.

UPD: Here are mine 32bit vs 64bit, Intel I5 6400@3.2Ghz, 8Gb DDR4@3000Mhz, Intel HD 530 (stock):
qzz8LBD.png

Green is 32bit, red is 64bit:

kTpfFev.png

Test was run two times (one on 32bit and one on 64bit game), 640x480 resolution and 3000/1800m distance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Godlikeru said:

This test is useless 

 

 

That is why read https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/200359-64-bit-executables-feedback/?do=findComment&comment=3143826 and give your results. It is not useless, check the GPU load graph, it is below 100% all the time. But of course, it is much more interesting to see results with FullHD and high quality settings. I sold my card and cannot provide any.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

No, it's useless. Your game stutters because integrated GPU uses standard RAM instead of videoRAM because it does not have any. Standard RAM is too slow for game to prevent stuttering.

 

For stuttering test one should use GPU with a lot of vRAM to prevent stuttering when transferring textures from vRAM to RAM if there's not enough vRAM. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Godlikeru said:

For stuttering test one should use GPU with a lot of vRAM to prevent stuttering when transferring textures from vRAM to RAM if there's not enough vRAM. 

Ok, will you help me then and provide your testing results? I tested with 3gb ram card months ago and arma didn't use more then 3Gb even with a little AA. I think that even 2Gb card will be enough for high textures without AA. Not so much, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

On ultra settings + 1500 view distance it uses about 4200MB/8000MB. Testing results are already available on the internet, no need to make more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Godlikeru said:

On ultra settings + 1500 view distance it uses about 4200MB/8000MB. Testing results are already available on the internet, no need to make more. 

That is a wrong statement: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RAFiiCt6cw But even if you got more VRAM usage on 64bit, I think that disable AA or turn to high/very high settings is a good option for comparison in both situations. There are no frametime comparison of 32bit vs 64bit versions of Arma 3. I saw feedbacks about stuttering problem improvements here but really no graphs, only subjective opinions. Just hope that with higher resolutions and decent videocards there will be better results.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2016 at 6:46 PM, superpower said:

Worse performance with 64-bit binary on low-end machine. Stuttering and about 15 fps less than with 32-bit. Tested is with low detail settings in Chernarus winter, it runs very nicely on 32-bit.

 

I think this is weird unless something else has been changed. Maybe some caching or lod switching is different in 64-bit build? :sad:

 

Checked on a low-end machine and performance about the same both on 32 bit and 64 bit.
 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

I could make a test but I can't use MSI Afterburner and HwInfo can only monitor FPS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is above stutters happened using SSD or HDD? Maybe I will do a comparison running Arma 64 bit from HDD and SSD.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The game was on SSD, but as said above they may be caused by Intel HD 530.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, eriktrak said:

 

Checked on a low-end machine and performance about the same both on 32 bit and 64 bit.
 

 

 

 

Next time to avoid watermaker you can use OBS, is a free recording tool.

 

https://obsproject.com/

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the game runs terrible & always has, needs a brand new engine, 64 bit isn't going to change that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dav said:

I think the game runs terrible & always has, needs a brand new engine, 64 bit isn't going to change that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dav do you think everyone in here giving feedback and doing tests don't think be nice if arma3 had a new engine ?  Perhaps they are being more realistic working with the hand that is dealt. 

 

People asked for 64 bit. Devs said hey you know it might not be the magic answer to " all "your problems in arma.  People said" ah come on at least try give us 64 bit." why are they not doing it skyrim did"." come on pretty please". 

 

So now Devs devise a plan to try make 64 bit possible.  it's  on development branch but a few weeks In. And your contribution is forget this hahaha. Nice.

 

Any improvement is better than none. And from testing 64 bit on multiplayer. Alot of the people I met on there are really positive about 64 bit.

 

Bis haven't lied and said this 64 bit is gonna be 360 no scopes, big explosion 200fps eyeballs melting outta your skull, the wall just got ten foot taller. 

 

So cool your boots ;D. Boots will remain in the upright and cool position 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dav said:

I think the game runs terrible & always has, needs a brand new engine, 64 bit isn't going to change that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, yeah. But that's not going to happen until they make a new game...

 

What exactly is the point of 64-bit?

I thought the reason people said it would help is because ArmA required more RAM. However, since it could only use up to 2GB of RAM, they would have to swap data between the disk and RAM on the fly.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, takehomethecup said:

Well, yeah. But that's not going to happen until they make a new game...

 

What exactly is the point of 64-bit?

I thought the reason people said it would help is because ArmA required more RAM. However, since it could only use up to 2GB of RAM, they would have to swap data between the disk and RAM on the fly.

 

you wrong there, the game engine can since 2011 use 4GB, since we introduced the LAA (Large Address Aware) flag ...

(that means Arma 2, Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, Take On Helicopters, Arma 3 and DayZ are all LAA compliant)

that means under 64-bit OS the 32-bit application can directly address up to 4GB ...

 

64-bit native process primary advantage is that it can address directly all available memory 64-bit OS provides ...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, dwarden said:

64-bit native process primary advantage is that it can address directly all available memory 64-bit OS provides ...

But the game still uses page file a lot. Even more than 32bit. What is the point? Hope that it may be possible to deny game usage of pagefile and store all data in RAM. Or at least till the moment when RAM is full.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ruPal said:

But the game still uses page file a lot. Even more than 32bit. What is the point? Hope that it may be possible to deny game usage of pagefile and store all data in RAM. Or at least till the moment when RAM is full.

Does it? I monitored my pagefile usage some weeks ago and it wasn't used during that A3 session...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NoPOW said:

Does it? I monitored my pagefile usage some weeks ago and it wasn't used during that A3 session...

Yes, check screenshots above
P9Uihn7.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I correct that you have 8GB RAM, and during your session (64 bit) A3 used (incl. pagefile) 12.7GB?

 

My A3 sessions (mainly vanilla) never use that amount of RAM, and I have 32GB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NoPOW said:

Am I correct that you have 8GB RAM, and during your session (64 bit) A3 used (incl. pagefile) 12.7GB?

 

My A3 sessions (mainly vanilla) never use that amount of RAM, and I have 32GB.

Yes, according to MSI Afterburner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, ruPal said:

Yes, according to MSI Afterburner.

Okay, but if the game needs 12+GB, and your system only has 8GB, what other choice does it have except using the pagefile?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, NoPOW said:

Okay, but if the game needs 12+GB, and your system only has 8GB, what other choice does it have except using the pagefile?

MSI AB shows 7Gb of page file + 5Gb of RAM used (out of 8Gb). I am confused about so huge pagefile usage. Need to recheck if MSI AB shows pagefile data as RAM+pagefile or smth. But it is definitly higher in 64bit. Just check yourself and show your data in comparison 32bit vs 64bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×