Sign in to follow this  
dale0404

A storm is coming (Arma 3 Zeus DLC)

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a CQ/KotH mode with a gimmick. I think the countdown to an announcement should have been avoided. Countdowns make more sense when you're actually releasing things.

90% of complaints in this thread about this framework/module can be remedied with an on/off switch for the "Cloud based wireless tactical current/voltage delivery system" in the module options. I'm surprised we are not seeing more of those people who go "We need this VBS thing, brah!" actually excited about BI providing, from what I can tell, a more user friendly RTE.

As are the other people, I really really hope this is a precursor to a proper 3D editor.

My point to refresh is that it is one thing for a Hobbyist or addon maker to create something that is not optimised , but for an official DEV to boast of DLC that negates all previous attempts to optimise this game and specifically Altis by stripping objects of there config class so they will have less impact on simulation and script calls , then for me it is simply wrong , A : because as i said we will be again inundated with Lag after _x inputs and or _ _x objects place , in addition " after 20 mins i suffer massive desync " to mention a few .

Thing is, for the coop croud out there that is using MCC and other tools at the moment, stuff like this might actually improve performance significantly. I can only speak about my own group, and we use MCC as our main mission maker tool. As everybody knows, it's script based. Do not get me wrong, MCC has been by far the tool that have made our sessions stand out and feel unique. However, having MCC's features ingame can make us rely less on MCC, and the result is better optimization for us. I must admit that my technological knowhow is limited, but I am hoping to point out something essential here. Remember, MCC and other mods like it are used by alot of COOP communities, and it's quite obvious that this feature is aimed towards the coop crowd. I would also like to remind you that the coop crowd is made up of mostly veterans of the game, and thus represents a pretty large portion of the player base.

And one thing really caught my attention. If you look in the video, you can easily notice a boarder around the town, indicating at least to me, that it's possible to limit the simulation to a limited area, and if that is correct it would help a lot. I won't say that this will improve performance for us COOP players for sure, but I do have hope.

I must say I find it difficult to see any productive use for this tool in a public, pvp scenario, or in any pvp scenario at all to be frank. Spawning in AI doesn't really make much sense in PvP. In addition, it's been stated rather clearly that this is a simple map module, completely optional. And if you look through the thread, you can see that this has been some what of a pet project for one developer, dating back all the way to ARMA I. I doubt that it has taken a lot of resources from the main development, but it seems like a very nice addition to people who make missions on the fly in private coop games. The streamlined interface alone makes it very interesting.

It's a completely optional feature with a potential huge benefit for a rather remarkable crowd of the community. At the same time, it's completely optional, and I really doubt that his will influence the public servers to any degree. It might give admins a tool in some instances, and I guess only time will let us know. However, I don't see any point of moaning about it.

There is a lot of things I would like to see in ARMA III that has not yet appaired. In fact, there is alot of stuff I am dissapointed about. But it's rather evident that BIS has grown, and that there are alot of people working on the game. Having small but significant projects like this might do a lot to parts of the community, while other parts ignore it. For me, I hope this will turn out to be a usefull feature, and I will most definately not judge it before I have even tried it.

And lastly, if you could try to make out your point in laymans terms: what is your concern exactly?

Can 10 people repair a wrist-watch faster than 1 person?

More like 'Can 10 people find the error with the wristwatch faster than 1 person if they all had the exact same copy of the watch? And come up with a better solution, together?'

You don't have "1 code" and only 1 person can look at it at a time. You can have 10 people working on the same code. Just different parts. Communication is important here.

You could have a contest over at BI studio. Whoever makes the game run 1 FPS faster will get 3 days off =). 5 FPS = 15 days =). Vacation days at your disposal. NO CHEATING! You know who I mean! :P (everybody feels guilty, right, coz nobody knows EXACTLY who I mean).

I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a CQ/KotH mode with a gimmick. I think the countdown to an announcement should have been avoided. Countdowns make more sense when you're actually releasing things.

90% of complaints in this thread about this framework/module can be remedied with an on/off switch for the "Cloud based wireless tactical current/voltage delivery system" in the module options. I'm surprised we are not seeing more of those people who go "We need this VBS thing, brah!" actually excited about BI providing, from what I can tell, a more user friendly RTE.

As are the other people, I really really hope this is a precursor to a proper 3D editor.

The more I think about the possible uses of it the more optimistic I feel about it overall. Still I feel like it's something that's really only going to benefit private coop groups mostly as in public play I can see it being abused and in PvP as well being abused. I think the thing that turned me off the most about it initially is the fact it's called Zeus and the whole Storm vibe and the lightning bolt destroying the tank for instance led me to believe the focus was on being some sort of supernatural deity.

They waste so much time making stuff like this, people have already created mods that pretty much do this already. There is hardly any content in ARMA 3, for example there are no large fix wing aircrafts for paradrops and there is only roughly 6 or so building types you can enter and all of the factorys are locked.

"Why do we have to rely on mods to play this game the right way?! Why can't you make something up yourselves devs?!"

*announcement of some feature*

"What?! THIS IS A RIPOFF OF A MOD THAT ALREADY EXISTS AND SO WE DON'T NEED YOU TO WORK ON IT BIS!!!"

How my simple mind sees this thread. I could be wrong, of course. I don't know, it looks quite intriguing to me. I'd like to see how far the idea is developed and what we can get out of it, for both SP and MP.

Edited by 13isLucky

...or a really fantastic improved version of Warfare/CTI modes with respawn camps and fast travel and all the other goodies (which used to be included in OFP/arma1/arma2). One of the most dynamic missions around with the most replay-ability...apparently dropped from Arma after all these years, such a loss!

"Why do we have to rely on mods to play this game the right way?! Why can't you make something up yourselves devs?!"

*announcement of some feature*

"What?! THIS IS A RIPOFF OF A MOD THAT ALREADY EXISTS AND SO WE DON'T NEED YOU TO WORK ON IT BIS!!!"

How my simple mind sees this thread. I could be wrong, of course. I don't know, it looks quite intriguing to me. I'd like to see how far the idea is developed and what we can get out of it, for both SP and MP.

Just to counter that argument, if BI were to implement proper bipods and weapon resting even though it's done by multiple mods already you would hear praise like no other because it's a long wanted feature that's in the game for everyone and it's something that pretty much everyone wants. MCC or Zeus are very niche on the other hand and it's going to be very hard to implement properly in a public scenario which means in all eventuality it will probably end up being something that groups who already use MCC are going to use which in the end doesn't really serve anything new to a new crowd. With Bipods and weapon resting, you would see that used by pretty much everyone, Zeus on the other hand will probably only be used by people already using MCC which is why there's not as much enthusiasm or excitement for it. Bipods and weapon resting serve to enhance the game for everyone whereas Zeus only servers to enhance, assuming it does enhance anything that MCC can or can't currently do, the people already using MCC for the most part. Most of the people in this forum going "OMG BI WAY TO GO RAH RAH RAH" will probably load it up once or twice and completely forget about it for the most part, because if it was interesting to them, they would be using MCC right?

It's not bad, it's just not something really needed. It's one of those cool feature's or implementations that could have waited really until the game was in a better state, but instead it's the cart before the horse again.

Fair enough. You make a pretty good point about the features, and I can't say that you're wrong.

It does interest me quite some, even as a mostly SP person (For various reasons, among them I can't seem to find enough servers that allow addons), as it does seem to be an idea that has the potential to really go beyond its original purpose. Here's me hoping that it does so, maybe into something that even SP people such as myself can find very useful.

Fair enough. You make a pretty good point about the features, and I can't say that you're wrong.

It does interest me quite some, even as a mostly SP person (For various reasons, among them I can't seem to find enough servers that allow addons), as it does seem to be an idea that has the potential to really go beyond its original purpose. Here's me hoping that it does so, maybe into something that even SP people such as myself can find very useful.

Parts of it interest me to a degree for certain coop scenario's and commanding the AI for a coop group so it's more challenging and dynamic. Ultimately though, considering all of the other things that could have come before this, it's not deserving of the hype that was created for the most part and is not really a new or novel idea. It could go beyond it's purpose, but how much of ArmA has truly gone beyond it's purpose and how much has been laid aside and forgotten and then ultimately discarded. The medical system in ArmA 2 comes to mind or ambient combat modules and civilian modules, lots of things come to mind and those things don't give me hope.

Ultimately though, considering all of the other things that could have come before this, it's not deserving of the hype that was created for the most part and is not really a new or novel idea.

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. It's not bad, but only useful to a certain audience. As such, too much hype.

Edit: I should also add that I was a very active player on Neverwinter Nights servers in the past. Zeus is similar to the DM client, and I can safely say that an active DM can really spice up things tremendously.

Edited by Varanon

Started watching the Stream. But I realised, it is not too relevant for me, because mostly single player or public server player. Anyway good luck, Bis. And after Zeus, please consider to make opening doors easier. So often I died because that fuuuuuu#'!)@ door symbol did not appear on hovering mouse.

Was a really good stream. Looks like Zeus will bring us some good mission in the future.

Good stream. Nice surprise to release on devbranch during live stream :)

Pretty disappointed as I just don't find magically appearing enemies appealing at all. Half the fun of games like this scouting out your path or area of operations to better gauge and plan how to how to deal with enemy forces - so some yahoo just wishing in a few more tanks sounds more like the opposite of fun.

I know different guys have different jobs but this one seems to strike SO close to a realised 3d editor that I can't help but feel a sense of loss in that we were so close. The tool wil be fun for clanners training no doubt so happy for them but no thrill at all for me on this one.

It was a nice stream! I got really surprised. Now, I hope that:

-FPS will be as good as in SP in this MP mode

-You create a sort of system for player to communicate with Zeus (take exemple from BF2, BF3) with pre-created message (ex: problem with the objectives, imbalance, need something else,...)

-A better system with the tasks: I think that Zeus should always has in front of him the tasks the players have and their state, so he doesn't forget to change the state, esp. activated, so the players don't need to get to the map and change the state...

Feedback tracker feature request: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=17335

Edited by papy.rabbit.08

Pretty disappointed as I just don't find magically appearing enemies appealing at all

if game master spawns enemies and then give you mission

how it different from spawned enemies in normal editor...

Pretty disappointed as I just don't find magically appearing enemies appealing at all. Half the fun of games like this scouting out your path or area of operations to better gauge and plan how to how to deal with enemy forces...

I see your point and agree that scouting etc. is one part of a good mission but since the spawning place/distance is totally up to the Game Master I really see no problems!? In the live session they just made a quick demonstration to show the basics.

Used along with a pre-made "mission template" and skilled Game Master/s this can really add to co-op experience IMO.

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

A game masters job is to make good immersive missions for the player. If you spawn tanks right in front of their noses, it's just bad GM-ing.

And you can also combine it with preplanned missions in the editor. If this not add to realism in mission I don't know what will. Just use it right.

Have played around with it a bit in the editor and it's very easy to use on the fly. Looking forward to see what the community makes out of it.

They said the published it to dev. branch. It doesn't seem like it, I am on dev branch and the module is not available in the editor, nor are there any new mission files.

They said the published it to dev. branch. It doesn't seem like it, I am on dev branch and the module is not available in the editor, nor are there any new mission files.

Strange, Bullet Purveyor above seems to be playing with it, unless I'm mistaken?

We found, in internal testing, that re-validating the cache via steam or simply restarting the game helps.

It should be in modules, Zeus, game master.

Best,

RiE