Is this enough to explain it or should I simply say yes, work in progress? :icon_twisted:

Cool. I was expecting the overhaul of shooting mechanics to begin much later (based on the scheduling of the DLCs), so this is nice a surprise. :)

• Added: Support for mission whitelisting for Dedicated Server (missionWhitelist parameter in DS config file

What does that mean?

Is this what I think it is?

If so, I wonder how it (weapon inertia) will be implemented. :)

Isn't there a "dexterity" parameter that already simulates inertia ?

Isn't there a "dexterity" parameter that already simulates inertia ?

You probably know more about it than I do, so you tell me. :)

That being said, if there is a weapon inertia mechanic in the game at this time, then I would assert that it isn't working properly.

You probably know more about it than I do, so you tell me. :)

Well, not really as i know this parameter from OFP, dunno if it's still used in ArmA3 ;)

Well, not really as i know this parameter from OFP, dunno if it's still used in ArmA3 ;)

I don't know about you, but the last time I touched OFP was almost a decade ago. ;)

I remember heavier weapons in ARMA2 having some feeling of inertia, but from what I understand they threw out the old aiming mechanics entirely for ARMA3 in favor of the current system (unrestricted turn speed, similar to twitch shooters). Since then, I can't say the weapons have had any kind of weight sensation.

So if this is really what it is, then I'm glad to see it return. (Even better if they're already rolling out WIP changes to the dev branch for testing. :D)

So if this is really what it is, then I'm glad to see it return. (Even better if they're already rolling out WIP changes to the dev branch for testing. :D)

I would cool You down a bit, but WIP means it's not even configured at the moment, there is just an engine support for some parameter to be loaded. As You may see in the roadmap, we would like to address this for Bootcamp update, more details are inbounce soon :icon_twisted:

I would cool You down a bit

I don't think I can get much cooler, but you can try. :cool:

but WIP means it's not even configured at the moment, there is just an engine support for some parameter to be loaded. As You may see in the roadmap, we would like to address this for Bootcamp update, more details are inbounce soon :icon_twisted:

Ah, now I've spotted the relevant sentence in the roadmap ("... planned improvements to Fatigue and Weapon Sway"). Still, even if these are just the first baby steps, it's always exciting to see new engine features incoming. :)

I don't know about you, but the last time I touched OFP was almost a decade ago. ;)

I remember heavier weapons in ARMA2 having some feeling of inertia, but from what I understand they threw out the old aiming mechanics entirely for ARMA3 in favor of the current system (unrestricted turn speed, similar to twitch shooters). Since then, I can't say the weapons have had any kind of weight sensation.

From memory, the dexterity parameter in Arma 2 cfgWeapons would increase inertia, but only in the vertical plane. I can't remember it having any effect laterally.

You could set it really high and then oscillate the mouse up and down and the view would swing up and down as if on a rubber band. As I say though it's been some time since I played A2 and I can't remember exactly. I haven't tried playing about with it in A3 so I don't know if it has a bearing on anything currently.

Added: Support for mission whitelisting for Dedicated Server (missionWhitelist parameter in DS config file).

If this is what i think it is, then awesome!

Any hints as to how to set it up?

Is the Inertia effect what makes a weapon feel heavy? For example, i can swing around an M-16 quite quickly, as apposed to when i had an M-107, i could move my mouse left and right, but there was a little more sluggishness, and the cross hair would be behind a little and take time to settle down as it was a very heavy rifle... Not sure if that's what it is... just my wild guess.

---------- Post added at 14:25 ---------- Previous post was at 14:23 ----------

we would like to address this for Bootcamp update, more details are inbounce soon :icon_twisted:

Looking forward to this. Fresh things are always refreshing.

From memory, the dexterity parameter in Arma 2 cfgWeapons would increase inertia, but only in the vertical plane. I can't remember it having any effect laterally.

You could set it really high and then oscillate the mouse up and down and the view would swing up and down as if on a rubber band. As I say though it's been some time since I played A2 and I can't remember exactly. I haven't tried playing about with it in A3 so I don't know if it has a bearing on anything currently.

It would be nice to keep the rotation speed but to make the weapon like in Battlefield 3. If you turn arround there the weapon turns with you a bit later. The heavier the weapon is, the slower and later should the weapon turn when you moved the mouse. So you would have to wait some time after to get your sights steady after turning arround with a weapon.

• Added: Support for mission whitelisting for Dedicated Server (missionWhitelist parameter in DS config file

What does that mean?

... this will allow you to prevent missions to be voted/selected if not whitelisted

It would be nice to keep the rotation speed but to make the weapon like in Battlefield 3. If you turn arround there the weapon turns with you a bit later. The heavier the weapon is, the slower and later should the weapon turn when you moved the mouse. So you would have to wait some time after to get your sights steady after turning arround with a weapon.

^^ This would be awesome.

... this will allow you to prevent missions to be voted/selected if not whitelisted

Wouldn't a blacklist be better ? Or would a blacklist be available as secondary option ?

^^ This would be awesome.

I agree, it would be nice to try out and see how it feels in Arma 3.

Wouldn't a blacklist be better ? Or would a blacklist be available as secondary option ?

I second the blacklist idea due to the ratios of what you want to what you don't want, there are more what you want than don't want so finding all the missions for what you want would be more of a pain whereas what you don't want there's lesser to look through.

All in all I'm quite happy with the direction Arma is headed, keep it up BIS :dancehead:

Oh yes please!

I don't understand the motivation behind this. Why even keep a mission you don't want selected on the server?

whitelist makes more sense, especially if you have certain number of missions and want to prevent e.g. official missions

when i think about blacklist - why not just remove such mission from MPmission folder/subfolders ?

ofcourse I will see into how feasible is to have both

I don't understand the motivation behind this. Why even keep a mission you don't want selected on the server?

I'd say it is for public servers so they can have many versions of a mission one for each faction for instance, whitelist the missions now public players can vote mission without getting the server on a mission that may not be intended for public use.

It is better to have then have not, wouldn't you agree?

actually blacklist makes sense, e.g. if you have a huge amount of your custom missions and want to blacklist official missions (or similar cases), so wip

whitelist makes more sense, especially if you have certain number of missions and want to prevent e.g. official missions

when i think about blacklist - why not just remove such mission from MPmission folder/subfolders ?

ofcourse I will see into how feasible is to have both

The rationale behind a black list for me IS the missions that come in addons (official or other). With a blacklist, I just list the missions I don't want to see once, and be done with it, new missions are just copied into the MPMission folder. With a whitelist, I have to add to the whitelist every time I add a new mission to the server. I think a blacklist is easier to handle for the server admin...

I agree, it would be nice to try out and see how it feels in Arma 3.

Yeah, just try it please!

Is this what I think it is?

If so, I wonder how it (weapon inertia) will be implemented. :)

Is it perhaps something like what's in DayZ Standalone? That looks to me like a nice way to implement weapon inertia..