Does this new surfaceFriction parameter allow to dynamically change surface friction, as in to make a difference between dry and rainy weather?

I was looking at the effects module and tried the CAS. If you use any of the different types of support, there is no option to trigger them. Each feature, like gun run, starts at the very beginning of the mission. All the other types of effects allow you to sync it to a trigger to set it off.

I'm thinking it's an error. I can't have an airstrike come in by trigger it. I know there is a support module, but I don't want to call in a strike, I want it to happen automatically. It seems like that's the point of it right?

with -enableHT you don't need use the -cpuCount=alllogicalcores

all you need is use physical core count

quadcore Intel

-cpuCount=4 -enableHT will ensure arma 3 will find the logical four HT cores itself

hexacore Intel

-cpuCount=6 -enableHT will ensure arma 3 will find the logical six HT cores itself

Actually do not use -cpuCount and -enableHT together because -cpuCount will always override -enableHT. For example if you have a 4 core CPU with HT (8 cores in total) and you will use following parameters

-cpuCount=4 -enableHT

Arma 3 will use only 4 cores. Use -cpuCount if you want to explicitly specify how many cores should Arma 3 use (might be useful when running several dedicated servers on one machine or in similar setups) or use -enableHT if you simply want to use all the CPU cores.

Hmm, it might be probably better to merge the two parameters into one to prevent confusion.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

I'm not really finding any improvement when running missions with lots of AI and scripts going on (which is where I thought I would see gain) & next to no activity on the logical cores..

Occasionally I can see activity on the logical cores but very seldom. I'll try and post up something more concrete but this is just initial impressions for now. Also, can we get a dedicated thread for this stuff (or this thread will be swamped)? Thanks.

Here is the commandline I use:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/101800212/nocores.png

Try removing the -cpuCount parameter, use only -enableHT (see my previous post for explanation).

Arma 3 will use only 4 cores. Use -cpuCount if you want to explicitly specify how many cores should Arma 3 use (might be useful when running several dedicated servers on one machine or in similar setups) or use -enableHT if you simply want to use all the CPU cores.

Just to clarify..... what you're saying here is if you want your server to use all the cores, use -enableHT, but leave out the -cpucount option. ?

Actually do not use -cpuCount and -enableHT together because -cpuCount will always override -enableHT. For example if you have a 4 core CPU with HT (8 cores in total) and you will use following parameters

-cpuCount=4 -enableHT

Hmm, it might be probably better to merge the two parameters into one to prevent confusion.

---------- Post added at 10:42 ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 ----------

Try removing the -cpuCount parameter, use only -enableHT (see my previous post for explanation).

Ok if I understood this correctly then:

The average user should simply use -enableHT if he has hyperthreading enabled on his machine with a CPU that supports it (i7 for example).

Servers can use -cpuCount if they want to specify how many cores a dedicated server should be allowed to use on the Server machine.

Got it?

Ok, that all sounds really nice. But how should the community test it? we need more details and situations we have to test.

I have much tested by my own with several parameter (-enableHT or/and -cpuCount) it will change NOTHING on all of my 3 Gaming Systems (System1-3). So no gain in FPS, not less or more stuttering, it changed nothing (tested Altis Benchmark and a testmission of our Team). again, i am not so bad about the performance from ARMA but for helping the DEVs in testing scenarios we need more details...

Just to clarify..... what you're saying here is if you want your server to use all the cores, use -enableHT, but leave out the -cpucount option. ?

correct

---------- Post added at 11:29 ---------- Previous post was at 11:28 ----------

Ok if I understood this correctly then:

The average user should simply use -enableHT if he has hyperthreading enabled on his machine with a CPU that supports it (i7 for example).

Servers can use -cpuCount if they want to specify how many cores a dedicated server should be allowed to use on the Server machine.

Got it?

correct

Thanks for clarification - will do some checking tonight after work and post up here.

Added: Support for RotorLib in the options

Clarification please?

I assume the option does nothing at the moment?

Or have you actually implemented the new flight models so we can try them out?

Clarification please?

I assume the option does nothing at the moment?

Or have you actually implemented the new flight models so we can try them out?

I don't think it's active, I would believe that the RotorLib update would be sufficiently larger than 34mb

Edited by Big-Rooney
Grammar

Is the sound for roll animation going to be improved? ;) Imo it is bad right now.

I don't think it's active, I would believe that the RotorLib update would be sufficiently larger than 34mb

I believe it's just a there for when they add in the actual thing. Patience.

Yes, we're preparing the UI and other parts for the arrival of RTD, but the data is not yet in place. It will appear well ahead of the DLC for the existing copters though.

I suspected so. Thanks for answering so quickly :D

Can you guys create a global multiplier for the surfaceFriction parameter and tie it to the waeather settings? That way driving while raining could be quite different to driving in sunny weather.

Can you guys create a global multiplier for the surfaceFriction parameter and tie it to the waeather settings? That way driving while raining could be quite different to driving in sunny weather.

Basically I love the idea but a proper implementation would have to take into account the time it has been raining.

Added: Support for camera shaking when you encounter big G forces in transport of helicopters - not yet configured in our data

So, a little suggestion, but would it be possible to do the same with Fixed wing? When making full G turns, have the player experience very slight shaking as it does in real life due to wind resistance on the aircraft in High G turns? Well, it's very slight shaking, but it looks more like buckling, if you know what i mean...

Talking about fixed wings and G-forces: Where are the G-loc effects? :D

No thats not a question, despite the question mark, it's a suggestion.

Programming lead Dr. Hladík has deemed the current state of surface friction for vehicles not satisfactory, and thus added a new parameter for surface types that solves many issues

Now this is where it gets interesting! Looking forward to testing this and actually provide some constructive feedback for once ;)

Any ideas when will we able to test this on dev branch?

Basically I love the idea but a proper implementation would have to take into account the time it has been raining.

Still better than nothing

I don't think it would be hard to put in a time delay with gradually changing multiplier when raining starts and stops. That sounds about as hard as making "Hello World". :D

@Dazhbog: I tried just using -enableHT in the commandline and not defining the CPUcount, but I got the same results (no activity in the logical cores).

So then I went and checked the resource monitor and noticed they were all parked. I made some edits to the registry to unpark them and now Arma uses all cores.

Performance seems overall better and scripts are running faster. It's not a massive increase but it's a start and definitely welcome. Hope you guys continue your good work.

Random snapshot of Task Manager:

cores.PNG

If you dev guys need some help with the theory behind friction, I would like to be of help.

@Dazhbog: I tried just using -enableHT in the commandline and not defining the CPUcount, but I got the same results (no activity in the logical cores).

So then I went and checked the resource monitor and noticed they were all parked. I made some edits to the registry to unpark them and now Arma uses all cores.

Could you share the registry edits, please ?

Thx,

OP