Speaking of animations the farmers outfit looks like it wasnt setup to use guns, your hand practically detaches from the arm when holding certain rifles lmao

1 hour ago, nkenny said:

Nah. Keep ranting. Preferably into a bug report. 

This is where I need to be really careful not to rant.

I've reported some fundamental bugs, and the reports go unheeded.  For example, an unclosed curly brace will cause an SQF file to not load, and to produce no error.  I hate to think how many hours of my life were wasted chasing down that one before I figured out the underlying problem.  Also, if you end a code block with an assignment statement, the result of that code block is undefined.  Not nil, but undefined.  Another needless waste of a chunk of my life.  Then there's the parser wigging out if you attempt to create a quote string with single-quote-double-quote-single-quote.  It needs to be four double-quotes.

There are also some trivial ones that would really help with our mission gameplay such as the T-100 Varsuk not being able to fly a flag.  We rely on those to avoid friendly fire incidents.  The only response was "We'll look at it".  That was a year ago.

Just too many bugs.

• Like 2

Is there anything to do, not referring to an umpteenth workaround or script, for the constant dialog of Ais asking for the player (leader) position every time the distance is greater than 150m?  Really? Nothing else than shutting/allowing general comms? It's utterly stupid and boring.

Did you never try, in five years, to lead an AI group, in stealth mission, with stealth behavior and AIs opening fire for nuts if you forget to hold fire? That plus the same dialog flow for nuts, even if whispered, are totally unrealistic.
I finally thought that: when one dev knows how to do something, dialog reports that is to say, the game uses and abuses of the feature, no matter what it could be the real world or for the game play (as another example, see the whole pages of command actions for jumping into an existing vehicle or grabbing a weapon on ground: pages and pages of scrolling menu, no matter the distance, no real clever limitation).

There are so much weird features, not really bugs, who could be improved with some considerations for tickets and reports. May I suggest to open a list, offical and updated, WITH priorities voted by the community?

Or, we are just
tenor.gif?itemid=4828130

• Like 3

I play arma since James gastovski and his Sabotages on kolgujev and I must say ai micromanagement was never so good like now I'm very happy about it

• Like 2

2 hours ago, pierremgi said:

(as another example, see the whole pages of command actions for jumping into an existing vehicle or grabbing a weapon on ground: pages and pages of scrolling menu, no matter the distance, no real clever limitation).

Wtf? Just go close to car/door/heli or gun on the ground and press spacebar... If on map select unit and click on vehicle/heli etc and that's. Litteraly 2 clicks 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, pierremgi said:

the constant dialog of Ais asking for the player (leader) position every time the distance is greater than 150m?  Really?

Why is leader leaving his teammates behind? Is he rushing is he playing counter strike? Is team leader count with ai stamina? What soldiers vearing mg at etc? If ai asking for leader position... Leader is doing something wrong! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pierremgi said:

(...) Ais asking for the player (leader) position every time the distance is greater than 150m? (...)

Yes. In a situation when you give order to keep formation: How someone can keep formation if can't see leader? Try to do this other way, take AI as your leader, he will give you a place in a formation. If you play veteran with no hud junk on - you will be crying for his location every time you lost him from view, not even 150m.

Give that guy order to move to specific point or to coordinates on map.

After all this time in Arma3, I get use to pages of orders and can use those very fast. The worst is page 6, when you want AI pick something from ground. No clue about distance my or AI from that thing. When are plenty of thing all over the place this page is cluttered.

There was a mod for commanding a team, very visual, not sure is it still updated. Find it if you want something different. No changes to BI command menus pls.

The issue here is with command move to x meters left, when someone don't even know where are you on a map. It should be map grid with additional two precision coordinates - maybe in next Arma game we get those.

Move to grid aaa bbb and then x y - where x y are numbers 1-10 coordinates in this aaa bbb grid.

Disagree. You're free to find useful an AI asking every minute for your position when you're running on a runway of airfield, 150 m in front of the AI!

At this level of absurd, let's add a "Mum, mum, where are you?"

Veteran is a choice, not a common usage. Let's speak about regular.

1 hour ago, Glow said:

After all this time in Arma3, I get use to pages of orders and can use those very fast. The worst is page 6, when you want AI pick something from ground.

So, if you're familiar with the "worst",  you'll understand it's not satisfactory for many other players.

1 hour ago, Glow said:

There was a mod for commanding a team, very visual, not sure is it still updated. Find it if you want something different. No changes to BI command menus pls.

BI should improve that mess. Action menu (6) is jammed by all available weapons (never mind if it's impossible to reach them) at top of the list!, before the inventory (the Sit down and salute is probably never used and it's a good example of dev skill => dev overdo).

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, XOSPECTRE said:

I play arma since James gastovski and his Sabotages on kolgujev and I must say ai micromanagement was never so good like now I'm very happy about it

But perfectible in SP. If you split your group for 2 different combat actions (let's say 400m distant, but it's same for several km!!!):
Something like: 2,3,4,5 go here;   6,7,8 do something else. When you'll order a general regroup, you'll see 6,7,8 rejoining your 2 (???) to finally regroup on you, no matter if 6,7,8 was very close from you and 2,3,4,5 very far. No interest and counter-intuitive in far most of the cases. But it's so clever to make 2 as deputy leader! Problem, he's dumb.

In MP now? , erffff... Good luck with that (not assigned but easily reproducible)

Wtf? Just go close to car/door/heli or gun on the ground and press spacebar... If on map select unit and click on vehicle/heli etc and that's. Litteraly 2 clicks 

Just go close to car/door/heli.

Well sometimes you would like your unit able to reach and jump into a car without seeing it when you order that.

If on map select unit and click on vehicle/heli etc and that's.

There are plenty of cases you can't see the vehicle on map.

If I'm wrong, just remove the pages and pages of mount menu (4).

Why is leader leaving his teammates behind? Is he rushing is he playing counter strike? Is team leader count with ai stamina? What soldiers vearing mg at etc? If ai asking for leader position... Leader is doing something wrong! 

Really? I must justify a team mate player can be 150m in front of one of these guys, at clear distance view, without having to suffer these totally useless and repetitive position reports? wow!

2 hours ago, Glow said:

The worst is page 6, when you want AI pick something from ground. No clue about distance my or AI from that thing. When are plenty of thing all over the place this page is cluttered.

The issue here is with command move to x meters left, when someone don't even know where are you on a map. It should be map grid with additional two precision coordinates - maybe in next Arma game we get those.

Move to grid aaa bbb and then x y - where x y are numbers 1-10 coordinates in this aaa bbb grid.

You know the Dev team took my suggestion a few years ago to list distance of target on Target submenu (and I really appreciated it!) but mentioned at the same why not add the same feature for objects such as Guns - while your at it, its not all that different and would really help us out..? For the life of me i just dont understand why they didnt take that up. Obviously a brand new GUI would be ideal but at the very least get rid of some of that clutter and give us a few helpful pointers on how far away that 15th AKM is.... i really just dont understand. They play the game too or maybe they dont..  😞

• Like 1

@froggyluv

I learn that once you become a game dev, not much time will left for gaming.

@pierremgi

OK, so this is about communicate AI sending: it should be more like - "Stop for a one sec for fukcs sake, would you?! I spit out my lungs!"

Wrong audio file used.

Not just play the game - simulate. Turn off that hud with all this adds. Your awareness of situation will rise very fast. I don't know ether why we do not have those distances to things, maybe 'cos performance hit when hundred things have to be calculated for every player on a map? If we simulate a reality here - no one will give you that information about distances from every dropped thing.

You have to be like Marines, deal with it. I do this that way:

If I know where the thing is, I point a guy to stand on that thing and then I looking in a menu for first thing that kind - mostly it works. If not go for next one.

If we talk about upgrade this system:

I wish that AI could pickup launchers automatically from ground. Every time if team is in danger and AIs see launcher on a dead guy - who just been spotted by team, announced on a radio as 'AT shooter' and killed. This is very logic and should be easy to achieve in game for a moder. I seen that kind of mod for other game.

Sometimes I order to pickup a thing and then just follow / assist that poor guy and watch the direction he's running. If you are gamer you can use this system to loot sniper ammunition from kias. In reality, looking for bodies in grass would cost a lot of time, no one would be able run on other end of the map to pickup batteries to nvg.

The discussion here going to the point - are you a gamer or a simmer? Do you prefer to play Arma, just to beat the game or maybe you simulate a real work or some units on a battlefield? Should Arma be a game or simulation? Is hard to satisfy both those groups in same time. BI doing good work imo.

I give up. Continue to be happy with that. Just let me think that's horrible to hear each minute "what's your position?" for an insight AI team as you split your group (you know for a pincer attack), no matter you're gamer or simmer!  and Nothing to do about a "lung question" when everyone is static...  Roger Out (not implemented).

12 hours ago, pierremgi said:

Is there anything to do, not referring to an umpteenth workaround or script, for the constant dialog of Ais asking for the player (leader) position every time the distance is greater than 150m?  Really? Nothing else than shutting/allowing general comms? It's utterly stupid and boring.

If the far units are not required to move, you can command stop them (~1-6), this will shut down the position requests. I use this for instance if I have a vehicle with crew that I leave behind to continue on foot, the crew gets very worried and continuously asks where I am. The stop command is not always needed to prevent them moving, but will definitely stop them asking for position.

• Like 1

Best would be to expose it to tweaking (preferably sqf) and let the community figure out some good approaches.

Otherwise a quick fix is to mute specific words.

• Like 1

Not sure if this is intentional or not (since they are part of NATO), but the LDF groups have friendly (rectangle) rather than neutral (square) icons in the right hand menu in eden (once placed they default to using the rectangle ones, since I guess that's hardcoded).

9 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

What's your position?

Check your six!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, .kju said:

Best would be to expose it to tweaking (preferably sqf) and let the community figure out some good approaches.

Otherwise a quick fix is to mute specific words.

Absolutely!  Perhaps a parameter for radio in game setting (say min distance for AI report) ?

+ things to be improved anyway:

• avoid dumb AI leader ordering to unconscious units !
  • avoid dumb stand-in AI leader to order different actions than the previous ones (by player) when player is unconscious. Trying to cope with an immediate situation, ordering to jump into distant and not accurate vehicle(s) (but previously used if I'm right), or move to a previous wpt, or whatever bad idea, is just a waste of engine code! You can even hear (and inherit after heal)  some "cease fire" totally weird while in combat behavior. Your group is upside down when you recover the health. All of this is not implemented when the leader player is dead-respawn and it's far better!
  • https://forums.bohemia.net/forums/topic/143930-general-discussion-dev-branch/?do=findComment&comment=3367077

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pierremgi said:

Perhaps a parameter for radio in game setting

You mean like "RADIOPROTOCOL" for disableAI or something?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

Good idea. That will afford the advantage for applying that on some units instead of global behavior like enableSentences and enableRadio.

At this time, the only command (if I'm right) which can be applied on units is disableConversation, but this command is not accurate for radio.

Or perhaps a setSkill... That could be fine if a distance could be parametered:
_unit setSkill ["RADIOPROTOCOL", 300]; // within 300 m, the unit is quiet on radio (only), in AWARE and STEALTH mode (doesn't apply on COMBAT mode).

If not possible, perhaps the 150m which seems to be hard coded (tested on runway, aware group, no eny report), could be increased (300m or in game Setting difficulty).

@DnA Some more missing data 

11:00:23 Warning Message: Picture \a3\ui_f\data\map\markers\military\mission_ca.paa not found

Got this message when going through CfgMarkers.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, killzone_kid said:

That would be neat!

Non important feature/asset request:

Can we please get a folded/retracted sling-loadable variant of the Repair Depot? Would benefit CTI-style modes and logistics gameplay.

48DB079815B675D051C4DA9E54367CE74C661EDD

• Like 1