Sign in to follow this  
bloodtank

Steam discussion

I'm looking out for myself, so are you,

Thats how this comes in to play with everyone flocking blindly to one global EULA you dont control.

and circumstances suggest that it is time to move on -

The circumstances of Steam dominating your choices of where to purchase more and more by those flocking blindly to it that are selfish?

free to choose whether to buy or not, just as with every other product.

Yep that's it, its now time to move on into a decision not of deciding where to purchase a game to enjoy, but the choice is now limiting too just buy it or dont. Not allot of "freedom" of choice in that BTW. And no its not just like very other product, you dont buy other products forcing you to be attached to a single shop and have that service every time you use the item does it.

correction, this is concurrent users, so 7 millions at same time online, the service user base is over 60 millions users ...

How many of those 60 million are Vavle download first/shop users, and how many up to now are - Buy a game to enjoy, oh I need steam, oh I have steam .... but dont use its other features, just said game that I wanted only?

Edited by mrcash2009

I guess its pretty easy then for the anti steam fraction to come up with a masterplan for BIS to release the game on its own servers. I mean, how hard can it be to handle the traffic and the infrastructure needed to maintain a few servers? Or how hard can it be to distribute millions of DVDs across the world to your local store? Peace of cake!

I guess its pretty easy then for the anti steam fraction to come up with a masterplan for BIS to release the game on its own servers. I mean, how hard can it be to handle the traffic and the infrastructure needed to maintain a few servers? Or how hard can it be to distribute millions of DVDs across the world to your local store? Peace of cake!

Since Steam seems inevitable by design choice for multiplayer/patching a good start would have been a singleplayer/mission part of the software editor non bound to Steam client. I just can't see any reason why people are happy having a bloatware running in the backgroung while editing a mission/playing singleplayer

Also have you heard and acient saying "PATIENCE IS A VIRTUE"

Sometimes, it is just a waste of time when a working alternative is available that takes you to the same results - ArmA III Alpha on Steam w/ a shortcut on my desktop, hence I took my business elsewhere after being unable to purchase the Supporter edition. I may still get it, once it goes retail (seksi box) or if/when Beta/release CPU multicore performance gets sorted.

There are millions of addicted - "greed is good - PROFIT is good" .... good to know where you get your new "fix" first for free or as cheap as possible, hugh? :rolleyes:
That's scary, one to bind them all

Totally. In fact, according to a leaked internal memo from Valve, they are just waiting to hit the 100 million user threshold. After that, their evil overlord Gabe (a.k.a. Lord Newelledemort) will shut down the service and use all the saved up personal info to steal every single user's identity (simultaneously) and steal all their money before he FO's to his secret volcano base inside Mauna Kea. All games will be lost forever, tears will be shed and epic nuclear flamewars will sink the internet.

True story.

Totally. In fact, according to a leaked internal memo from Valve, they are just waiting to hit the 100 million user threshold. After that, their evil overlord Gabe (a.k.a. Lord Newelledemort) will shut down the service and use all the saved up personal info to steal every single user's identity (simultaneously) and steal all their money before he FO's to his secret volcano base inside Mauna Kea. All games will be lost forever, tears will be shed and epic nuclear flamewars will sink the internet.

True story.

At the same time he will devour the only finished copy of HL3 and nourish on all of our tears and sadness

Mindless fanboys are always spot on with their epic reactions..... :cool:

My lord and master would not have it any other way. ;)

At the same time he will devour the only finished copy of HL3 and nourish on all of our tears and sadness

If HL3 is even real at all...

True story.

Nah the risk is Valve trying to enforce some drastic conditions to developper if they wish to have their games on sale on the Steam plateform. True story, it happens all the time when theire is monopolistic situation. No need to be a nobel prize to get worried by that.

Since Steam seems inevitable by design choice for multiplayer/patching a good start would have been a singleplayer/mission part of the software editor non bound to Steam client. I just can't see any reason why people are happy having a bloatware running in the backgroung while editing a mission/playing singleplayer

I guess this is not permitted by Valve.

Nah the risk is Valve trying to enforce some drastic conditions to developper if they wish to have their games on sale on the Steam plateform. True story, it happens all the time when theire is monopolistic situation. No need to be a nobel prize to get worried by that.

It also doesn't take a Nobel Prize winner to figure out that worsening the conditions for developers will drive those devs away, thus hurting them (Valve) in the long run. Steam is only in such a powerful position on the market because the service is attractive for developers and players, so it is in Valve's interest to keep it that way.

True story.

Link?

( :rolleyes: )

On a more serious note I'm not exactly up to it either. While the developers may get more work done and release patches when and how they want, I'm not sure if it's worth the ''trade off'' for the game being steam exclusive.

Edited by Bee8190

True story.

EA used to be company run by a great guy [Trip Hawkins] and loved by all gamers.

True story.

It also doesn't take a Nobel Prize winner to figure out that worsening the conditions for developers will drive those devs away, thus hurting them (Valve) in the long run. Steam is only in such a powerful position on the market because the service is attractive for developers and players, so it is in Valve's interest to keep it that way.

Heard the same thing about EA.....Ubisoft......etc many years ago.

Things change, people retire, companies change hands.

Edited by jblackrupert

Just logged into my Steam account and notice a new game in the list, it' says...

Ace of Spades - 2 days left

Why am I getting this (yes, I have opted out from all news etc. in settings) and how do I get rid of that crap!?

Also, noticed that when I downloaded the dev build it downloaded complete new files (i.e new PBO's etc.) to the ...\Steam\SteamApps\downloading\107410\... folder and then installs them. Wasn't Steam supposed to support delta patching to avoid downloading complete files???

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

because if games are available for so called free weekened / day / week then they appear in your game's list, they don't download/install until you do so ...

OK, then I assume it will sort itself out but when opted out from news/ad's/etc it would be nice to be left alone ;)

/KC

It's also worth noting that if you do install a game on a free weekend it doesn't uninstall OR remain in your list once the event ends. Be sure to go in and manually tidy up your Steamapps folder on occasion.

I have 2 games on my list I've never installed let alone even looked at in the store or anywhere else.

It's also worth noting that if you do install a game on a free weekend it doesn't uninstall OR remain in your list once the event ends. Be sure to go in and manually tidy up your Steamapps folder on occasion.

That's odd. My experience with free weekend games that if it remains installed on my system it will still show up in the library, but the "Play" buttons will be switched with "Buy" buttons when it ends so I can still remove it through Steam. I'll try it with Ace of Spades.

Glad to hear it doesn't happen all the time. Maybe it's just Steam messing with me. It likes to do that.

I can't remember the name of it, but I had to manually remove a free weekend game only a couple of months ago. I run WinDirStat on my Steamapps folder every few months (or whenever space is running low) to catch just this kind of thing.

That's odd. My experience with free weekend games that if it remains installed on my system it will still show up in the library, but the "Play" buttons will be switched with "Buy" buttons when it ends so I can still remove it through Steam. I'll try it with Ace of Spades.

Same thing. Even happens when there is games from other accounts installed in the same machine.

I had a long thought on all this matter - to get ARMA 3 or not just because of steam. Finally I came to a conclusion I want the game and even as much as I don't like the idea of being forced to use steam, so I bought it.

The only thing I would advise to others, get the game from BIS STORE directly so you actually support Bohemia Interactive not some middleman. Also when you are required to register for account on steam you don't actually need to give them your details. E-mail is the only piece of information you actually need to submit everything else does not really matter it can be fake if you do not wish to disclose it.

I hope that one day BIS will "grove the muscle" and become big enough to have BIS STORE up to the standard they can handle digital sales by themselves. I hope the next big awaited game "DAYZ" will be sold thru they store. But for that to happen people please by ARMA 3 and by it from BIS STORE so company which actually done the work can get more out of it and as I said grow bigger and stay independent.

Also I can only imagine how much money BIS will loose out as payments to steam for their services on every sold copy of DAYZ if they stick with steam store. I can only guess how much steam is charging developers for selling their content.

@bloodtank mate maybe you can add a pool to this discussion to express our thoughts about this matter in more clearer way - numbers.

- I bought ARMA 3 from steam, and I like to have steam and all its features.

- I bought ARMA 3 from BIS STORE, and I like to have steam and all its features.

- I bought ARMA 3 from steam, and I don't like to have steam and all its features required.

- I bought ARMA 3 BIS STORE, and I don't like to have steam and all its features required.

- I wont buy ARMA 3 just because of steam features/requirements.

- I would buy ARMA series games no matter what, I like them.

Maybe that can help BIS to think on future strategy and I personally would like to find out am I a minority, if majority loves steam and like the way game is sold now? I'll just leave it and stick to idea of democracy - majority supported decision wins.

John

Edited by John_Spartan

^^Yeah enough of these leeches^^ wether it is valve, EA or ubisoft. They already proves they are worthless at developing decent games, they are only good at bloodsucking.

^^Yeah enough of these leeches^^ wether it is valve, EA or ubisoft. They already proves they are worthless at developing decent games, they are only good at bloodsucking.

Valve on pair with EA/Ubisoft on developing games? Valve is bloodsucking? Are you high?

Do you even know what games Valve has developed?

Dont think if there is any developer which has more respect from it's playerbase than Valve. (and probably even developers)

This is the most ridiculous thing i have heard on this forums yet. :eek:

Also I can only imagine how much money BIS will loose out as payments to steam for their services on every sold copy of DAYZ if they stick with steam store. I can only guess how much steam is charging developers for selling their content.

You're delusional.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wmeZvUkYco/UIG_N4yHqtI/AAAAAAAAHbI/hNC6_02EGHs/s1600/felix-baumgartner-red-bull-stratos-jump-abandon-thread-mem.gif >100kb

Edited by Placebo

Yeah, i know what they develop, mainly arcade shooters or rehash of popular mods yaaawnn, whatever their main source of revenue is not game creation anymore they are too busy at securing their monopoly & making money on the back talented & creative developers. Talk about parasites