Sign in to follow this  
krazikilla

Avaliable Q4 2012?

Keep the new underwater environment in mind ;)

I think anyone who has been diving knows crepuscular rays. In this case the light rays serve the purpose to give the water a better feeling of depth

That, and volumetric lighting could also be used if dust/snow/fog/whatever is in the air.

There are no godrays when there are snow/fog/whatever in the air. And even with dust it's questionable.

Water is ok with that - but not everything has to look like cartoon-ish Crysis which often hides its lack of detail behind ZOMG LOOK AT THOSE SHADERS

Mind you I like Crysis shader effects, but they have no place in ArmA.

What ArmA however really lacks is water reflections.

There are no godrays when there are snow/fog/whatever in the air. And even with dust it's questionable.

Now you're just exaggerating.

Of course there are god rays. If I look out of the window at work on a partly cloudy day I see them all the time. Just fucking google "god rays" and you will find thousands of photos.

The only difference between real life and the CryEngine is that in real life you can only see them under certain conditions, and mostly in the distance. As you frequently and correctly point out, the amount of god rays rendered by the CryEngine is fucking ridiculous, but that doesn't mean they don't exist at all.

I dont care when ArmA 3 will be released because i know it will be the best game. But, i have a request. For the love of christ, please port Chernarus into A3. It is the best game landscape ever and i just love it. Its just so cool. Chernarus FTW!

I dont care when ArmA 3 will be released because i know it will be the best game. But, i have a request. For the love of christ, please port Chernarus into A3. It is the best game landscape ever and i just love it. Its just so cool. Chernarus FTW!

It won't be in officially but leave it to the community, it'll be ported for sure

I agree that nothing beats chernarus in my book... I often find myself just touring the country for fun... It never gets old to me.

Given the lack (as it seems) of forests on Lemnos, and the dry mediterranean environment, it's a good counterpoint as well.

I'd love to have those beautifull volumetric clouds on Chernarus, and the small tidbits they added to the technology (normal maps for ground etc...) also...

An official port would be better for MP compatibility. If not at launch, as a DLC of "historical" equipment (read USMC, Russians, Takis etc...) with lite version for those not interested would be nice.

So much great content must not be wasted or forgotten...

Malden is by far the best map in my books.

The dealy is both a sad and happy thing to find, I remeber the bugs on each release eating at my very soul at times. Impatience is kicking in but for quality it is worth it.

I agree that nothing beats chernarus in my book... I often find myself just touring the country for fun... It never gets old to me.

Given the lack (as it seems) of forests on Lemnos, and the dry mediterranean environment, it's a good counterpoint as well.

I'd love to have those beautifull volumetric clouds on Chernarus, and the small tidbits they added to the technology (normal maps for ground etc...) also...

An official port would be better for MP compatibility. If not at launch, as a DLC of "historical" equipment (read USMC, Russians, Takis etc...) with lite version for those not interested would be nice.

So much great content must not be wasted or forgotten...

DLC'ing maybe a 2030 version of Chernarus with that still post-Soviet feel to it. And the CDF and ChDKZ with 2030 tech etc. Now that would be great. And your not the only one who liked touring the place. HOOAH!:yay:

Definitely, Chernarus is a must in Arma 3 (vanilla, patch or by a mod)!

As a game player,earlier release date is better.

Even if quality of the game is not stable, "early harvest" should be good while we wait bug-fix.

In the other side,such a unripe release makes Bohemia's reputation worse as we already seen.

I was glad to see this. I dont want to see a completely fucked a3 thats been rushed to completion while ignoring big issues. Im looking at you physics, imagine the complications with them in this game.

Delay for Q2 2013 ;-) Better is it.. I was with all releases from ArmA1 till ArmA2:OA and all were more or less bugged like hell.

I mean it in a good way, since most people in german comments at game-sites said they won't buy it because they have no time to wait years for game-braking bugs to be fixed. So a solid Product at release is crucial this time. The more players (which will most likely, eventually become FANS of the series) we have, the better it is both for BIS and for us players.

No Rant or something like that, just my opinion based on history ^^

I'm usually not happy when games get delayed you've been wetting your appetite for but .. a) it was kinda predictable because Summer '12 was just too early and we'll know that the this' game engine is one of the most complex. So, given this news about the delay is one of the few I'm actually really happy about. IMHO, as long as it's financially viable for BIS, slipping to '13 is perfectly OK IMHO. If I'd would be making a call I'd say Q3'13 .

I'd agree with the estimate of summer 2013. Arma and Arma2 were both about one year later than their originally scheduled release dates. Software is complex and always takes longer than you hope to finish and get right!

Definitely, Chernarus is a must in Arma 3 (vanilla, patch or by a mod)!

Cherno + LandTex mod, please.

If A2 was delayed a WHOLE YEAR and still came out how it did, then they should delay A3 by 2 YEARS then at least! I want to see more 8's and 9's instead of 7's!!! (since most gamers judge 7 as crap >:()

If A2 was delayed a WHOLE YEAR and still came out how it did, then they should delay A3 by 2 YEARS then at least! I want to see more 8's and 9's instead of 7's!!! (since most gamers judge 7 as crap >:()

Why does everyone think Arma 3 will be a buggy release? Arma 2 just went gold and with the recent improvements on Arma 2 I really don't see a buggy release with Arma 3, it won't meet expectations that's for the modding community but atleast not too buggy.

Why does everyone think Arma 3 will be a buggy release? Arma 2 just went gold and with the recent improvements on Arma 2 I really don't see a buggy release with Arma 3, it won't meet expectations that's for the modding community but atleast not too buggy.

Probably because Bohemia Interactive has a history of buggy releases and they are adding quite a few new features into ArmA III that have the possibility of going wrong.

Media usually give 9 or 6 for ARMA series.:)

Instead, players will give 10 or 5 for them.

so ARMA series will get average 7.5 at last.

Edited by msy

Probably because Bohemia Interactive has a history of buggy releases and they are adding quite a few new features into ArmA III that have the possibility of going wrong.

I totally agree with that statement. Not that I thought ArmA II so buggy at all at release date, cause I played the whole campaign thru with that version and had not much problems at all. The major difference between Arma II / OA release I see in the beta program that started post OA release. ArmA is just going to be really great, playable, performant and feature rich. And all of those improvements will without a doubt transfer to Arma III. And BIS is listening to the community; they've proven it time and again. And they won't stop making ArmA:OA better just now.

Conclusion: ArmA III will be released when it is ready and it will be awesome. Be it Q4/2012 or Q2/2013. Doesn't really matter ...

Awesome, just as I thought that the idea of Arma having a physics engine was too good to be true it may get delayed past the Mayan calendar world end date of December 21st. Well if its looking bad at that date, like huge meteoroids are hitting the earth, and without a doubt looks like where all gonna die my last request is BI release what they got so far for Arma 3 at that point? Yea, with my luck the worlds internet will go out before it finishes downloading if that were to happen. After I die, either somethings gonna have to answer to me why I had to go threw all what I went threw on earth to get gypped out of my Arma 3 or have a copy waiting for me on the other side!

I totally agree with that statement. Not that I thought ArmA II so buggy at all at release date, cause I played the whole campaign thru with that version and had not much problems at all. The major difference between Arma II / OA release I see in the beta program that started post OA release. ArmA is just going to be really great, playable, performant and feature rich. And all of those improvements will without a doubt transfer to Arma III. And BIS is listening to the community; they've proven it time and again. And they won't stop making ArmA:OA better just now.

Conclusion: ArmA III will be released when it is ready and it will be awesome. Be it Q4/2012 or Q2/2013. Doesn't really matter ...

BIS add physix\java\ragdall etc. into ARMA3, maybe there will be still many visible bugs when ARMA3's first version. But I don't care.:)

In my opinion the two major factors of the absolutely "not kindly reception" (at least at my place) were:

1. Bugful and unplayable SP campaign

2. The stupidness of the 1.0 AI

1. Say what you will but only mentioning the word "Manhattan" together with Arma 2 - everyone at German gaming press (magazines + readers) will know what this refers to. :) The campaign (which is the heart of the presentation of the game*) was a failure in this matter because of annoying and even showstopping mission designing bugs. And the problem is: This can happen with every new campaign, no matter how developed the game is.

Because of this I welcome the delay of the release! This way the campaign can be polished so that an Harvest Red-disaster hopefully won't happen again.

2. You're right when you say that regaring the actual state of the AI, it should not be a problem in Arma 3.

But does anyone remember this same story when the AI of Arma 1 was pretty good with the final patches before Arma 2 came out? Many people thought that Arma 2 would not have AI problems because the Arma 1's had been shaped up pretty well.

But what happened: The AI was absolutely overwhelmed and overstrained by the new detailful environment and engine of Arma 2. Much more objects, much more tasks, etc.

This is the fear that I have for Arma 3 too. Hopefully I'm wrong here - and the delay to Q4 (aside with the great beta patch-system and BI working closer with the community) should help a lot.

* by heart of the presentation I mean: What will players usually do right after installing a / the game? They will check the option menu and then play the campaign. Usually not the Multiplayer or the Editor.

Edited by Undeceived

Emm, I've been around since 2001 and to this day we didn't get a polished product out (not even long awaited v1.60 for that matter). As you can see there are more than 900 open issues in the bugtracker. I don't like to accept something for "as is" if it can be fixed. Its become really scary in some situations - like seeing A3 screenshot of a AI standing on the edge of the cliff and first thing that pops in your mind is "AI will fall down" ;)

Now me & my team are waiting to get a headshot from AI across the map.... by a laser ;)

Edited by IceBreakr

Emm, I've been around since 2001 and to this day we didn't get a polished product out (not even long awaited v1.60 for that matter). As you can see there are more than 900 open issues in the bugtracker. I don't like to accept something for "as is" if it can be fixed. Its become really scary in some situations - like seeing A3 screenshot of a AI standing on the edge of the cliff and first thing that pops in your mind is "AI will fall down" ;)

Now me & my team are waiting to get a headshot from AI across the map.... by a laser ;)

You can never expect 0 bugs on projects of this scale (but sure, BI could do better in certain areas regardless).

Perhaps maybe if the price would go up by 10-fold. Simply put; you can either get a COD-clone, or you can get ARMA with all it's scope and infinite possibilities ;) (and 5 years of after-market support)

You can't have it both IMO.

Re the AI - has you and your team still not done anything about this? Would expect that from people new to the game, not from guys running around for over 10 years already :D

Edited by Sickboy