Sign in to follow this  
rfc

Greek island protests inclusion in video game

Anyone noticed in the video that island is actually called "Linos"? ;) any similarity to the RL is purely coincidental :)

Anyone noticed in the video that island is actually called "Linos"? ;) any similarity to the RL is purely coincidental :)

Yea true - good eye :)

Linos is the ingame name of the island , i still don't see the Mayor problems there

That's like someone liked to ban Takistan due of many similar places to Afghanistan - that's ridiculous :p

I am sure that is a typo (linos).

On the other hand, MadDogX might be right about the PR stunt

i was wondering when (if ever) this would happen, LOL!

Limnos, welcome to the godzilla club. an exclusive club for citys and locales that get regularly trashed in film and other media. You have been granted special access because, although this is your first (if only) appearance in the media as a hot spot, the cumulative damage that will be displayed over the course of the games life cycle more than makes up for it. congratulations! you may now take your place next to new york, Washington DC, LA, and Tokyo in history!

LOL :)

If I manage to come up with cash for pc upgrade so I can get A3, I'll make that mayor suffer in all possible mission scenario's.

And my mind is very twisted. I can already see the goats...

Hyper LOL!? :D

This reminds me of conflict between Sasha Cohen (Borat) and Kazakhstan :) he probably did more for their tourism than their tourist board in 10 years ;)

I'm visiting many Greek islands, but never had a chance to see Limnos in agencies. Guess they want peace and keep the drunken UK hordes away from their "sacred" land? ;)

This reminds me of conflict between Sasha Cohen (Borat) and Kazakhstan :) he probably did more for their tourism than their tourist board in 10 years ;)

I'm visiting many Greek islands, but never had a chance to see Limnos in agencies. Guess they want peace and keep the drunken UK hordes away from their "sacred" land? ;)

I think they want more tourists there and mainly their

! :D

Hi all

Same with the ITV film.

Great publicity! AND ITS FREE!!!

Kind Regards walker

A nice quote from the A3 facebook channel :D

<sarcasm>We told the major to release this next year! /facepalm Now he has to return all money.</sarcasm>

This weekend seems like a perfect moment to release some new content ;)

Around 2029, the puppet government of the New Greece was created with the support of Iran; on Limnos, local government collaboration with the local Iranian military was established (see Factions – Militias).

According to this part of A3 description, we should have at least one occasion to kick Mayor's butt. ;)

Arma 3 strikes back :D

Georgios Akhanteros

Regional Director of Limnos Island, New Greece

Greek national, age 60-65, marital status and children unknown. G. Akantheros is the head of the puppet government on the Limnos island. In the past, he was a mayor of Myrina for several terms (as a member of a right-wing party), ran local businesses and owned several hotels and other tourism-oriented companies. After war broke out, he gathered remnants of the Greek police and military personnel on Limnos and became a dictator and a warlord of no-man’s-land. He now runs a fairly capable paramilitary force and a petty regime in Myrina and its vicinity. According to the available resources, he tries to maintain basic security on the area under his control, maintains a self-sustainable economy with occasional Iranian support, and systematically fights against the concurrent smuggling networks, the resistance movement and the independent marauding groups. Unconfirmed Intel claims “cleansing†operations in the refugee enclaves.

note: Tyrant

The greek should stop complaining.

Bcoz of ArmA3 in 2012, i already booked my vacation to limnos.

*i just wanna checkout the terrain before A3 release *

Hurry up before Iran will occupy the Mediterranean and place a base on Limnos

2011 Sept. 27 TEHRAN (Reuters) - Iran raised the prospect on Tuesday of sending military ships close to the United States' Atlantic coast, in what would be a major escalation of tensions between the long-standing adversaries.

"Like the arrogant powers that are present near our marine borders, we will also have a powerful presence close to American marine borders," the head of the Navy, Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said, according to the official IRNA news agency.

full story

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/nationworld/sns-rt-us-navytre78q3cq-20110927,0,3547077.story

:D

In the prologue cutscene of the A3 campaign the mayor of Limnos should express his utmost concern that his island has been turned into a warzone.

jerryhopper: hope to see u there... we can throw some eggs at mayor's house or do donuts with scooters in front of it ;)

In the prologue cutscene of the A3 campaign the mayor of Limnos should express his utmost concern that his island has been turned into a warzone.

This!

BIS, here you have an Idea for a little easteregg. Include it! :p

Better idea for BIS: offer Czech and Euro tourist agencies offer they can buy advertisment space on in-game roadsigns for real Limnos vacations ;)

Better idea for BIS: offer Czech and Euro tourist agencies offer they can buy advertisment space on in-game roadsigns for real Limnos vacations ;)

Thats actually a very good idea. Bis would make some extra money, the mayor would be happy because of free advertisement, and the players would get usefull information regarding the island. Win win win situation. But it would be better to directly speak to the tourist info of Limnos. For some reason I don't wan't to see TUI advertisements

Hell, I'd love to see an accurate map of my home region in a game.

What makes me curious is why there is an outcry about this in particular but not about OFP's islands despite them being based on real places as well, the main difference being a name not at all similar to the real thing.In my search for certain things I've seen the tension between Greece and Turkey in some posts, it is rather crazy, is that one of the primary reasons that some are unsettled? I would love to get some insight from someone other than a politician.

Edited by NodUnit

jerryhopper: hope to see u there... we can throw some eggs at mayor's house or do donuts with scooters in front of it ;)

The egg thing? ONLY, after we had a conversation with that mayor.

/me thinks about registering *.gr or other funny domains.

www.limnos-resistance.gr ( local resistance site, to piss the mayor off. )

www.limnos-arma-travels.gr ( travel agency specialized in limnos for arma gamers )

www.war-on-limnos.com ( documentary by ITV that covers the bloody war thats going on - with real footage!!!!!!)

www.daily-limnos.gr ( and start a fictional newsblog scare the shit outta people)

www.ivebeentolimnosandpissedonthemayor.com ( because we can! )

;) so much for the fun.

About going on vacation there, im dead serious!!!

www.everyoneonlimnosrapedandmurderedayounggirlin1992.com

What makes me curious is why there is an outcry about this in particular but not about OFP's islands despite them being based on real places as well, the main difference being a name not at all similar to the real thing.In my search for certain things I've seen the tension between Greece and Turkey in some posts, it is rather crazy, is that one of the primary reasons that some are unsettled? I would love to get some insight from someone other than a politician.

From the language used, it seems like their primary concern is the resemblance to actual places. Malden does not resemble Lefkas in any way other than its outline.

When you say actual places do you mean the terrain scaping (as claimed though it seems a bit silly) or perhaps the concern of say high security such as primary power plants and military bases? If so then I doubt BI would go that far, I mean heck even though the US is used so often in games I'm pretty sure there would be funny looks if anyone were to say fully model out fort rucker or camp lejeune.