Sign in to follow this  
rfc

Greek island protests inclusion in video game

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hmZZ6JlquaMk4dqjXOJ_fGnZufhg?docId=CNG.59c8f07fc7da6a4419e50d7af3fe7904.101

The Greek island of Limnos is up in arms over its inclusion in a video game it says damages its peaceful reputation and presents a security threat by exposing its terrain in high-definition, a newspaper reported on Monday.

Is this for real?

Can't find the cited newspaper source anywhere ...

Yeah well I'm pissed they've been using my planet :mad:

Real life locations as well as confusing aliens with fictional ones; earthly hookers which will only entice that space menace further -knock it off BI!!!!

Since when does exposing terrain in high-definition of an island present a security threat? Haven't the Greeks heard of spy satellites like Göktürk?

I would love to see on what judicial ground they think this game is harmful.

This is as stupid as Texans getting pissed off about the Texas Chainsaw Massacre films. Dont visit Lemnos guys. If theres a war going on there then obviously theres a real war there.

Tell 'em whats happened to Krk, Tenerife and Levkas after we´ve been there :coop:

My God! They are right! After years under the scope of Google Earth, its photos, 3D map and all those tourists that have actually been there, it's madness to think they can just make a digital version of Limnos just like that!

It's going to be a political mayhem once the Turks finds out Greece has a military airfield on that island.

On the other hand, I get the point where some of the public don't want to be directly linked to a (war) game.

Edited by colossus

BIS could make a "Desert Island" out of Lemnos. Anyway + anytime! :icon_twisted:

Now A3 will be delayed because Lemnos citizen are (still?) lost between reality and fiction. But maybe they are just trying hard to distract from more important issues?

*insertMeme*

All Greeks blame BIS for everything!!

Was only a matter of time for this to happen. Same thing as with kazakhstan getting upset about OF:RR. Halp, wargaem played in our countries, BAN EVERYTHING.

That they don´t want their Island connected with WW3 is understandeable, but I think this won´t lead anywhere nasty for BIS, the Game, or Lemnos, unless they decide to embarass themselves in an internet lawsuit. I don´t know how much IRL lawsuits would hurt BI, though.

Chances are, though, that this won´t do anything. Apart from official protest, nothing seemed to have come from the thing about Kazakhstan and Red River, for example. Unless that´s why they stopped developing OFP... (which I highly, highly doubt.)

Nontheless, it´s a bit disturbing.

How many euros does Limnos cost ?
With that Greek sovereign debt still being an issue, iBIS could just buy Limnos and save the Euro! WIN-WIN :D

lool fail at Limnos Mayor , such a whining bla bla bla - they should be happy , that BIS choosed their island :p

Making a digital representation of Limnos is within anyone's power to create. They don't like the island being shown in high definition but they don't restrict travel to Limnos :/ Better start suing camera companies.

Limnos is also not correct in its size and some details have been changed. BIS couldn't get into secure areas just like anyone else. It's not like they're going to have a better portrayal of these areas than you can get from widely available satellite images. Then, likely they have taken artistic license with these areas to gear them towards the game's plot.

Someone in their government has too much time on their hands. Apparently there was a lot of controversy about the movie 300 because of its east vs west theme... an effing comic book movie... was turned into a political scapegoat. It's obviously seen as beneficial to people in politics to make mountains out of molehills.

There is a small politician, sitting on a island, desperately trying to find a reason to get reelected^^

There is a small politician, sitting on a island, desperately trying to find a reason to get reelected^^

Limnos Life.

I had never heard of the island before it was to be in Arma 3. Now I've seen tons of pictures, learned about its history and consider it a possible vacation spot for the future. I assume that was the general reaction of most Arma fans.

Where is the problem mister mayor?

Good thing they have no other problems over at Greece. :rolleyes:

I had never heard of the island before it was to be in Arma 3. Now I've seen tons of pictures, learned about its history and consider it a possible vacation spot for the future. I assume that was the general reaction of most Arma fans.

it was definitely mine. I think they should pay for the advertising, instead of getting mad.

Good thing they have no other problems over at Greece. :rolleyes:

LOL.

That's a good point, though. Maybe this is meant to serve as a distraction from their usual problems.

Well its obviously viral (remember this thing with this British special force member "appearing" in Arma?)

Daayoum the internet is getting full of it right now ^^

I like how most of those articles contain the teaser video or more info about the game (story, release date etc.) :)

More

here

here

here

here

here

etc..

PR-Boost: enabled :D

btw: this is where it should have started

here is the original article

Edited by PurePassion

I've added one thing on my to-do list: