Sign in to follow this  
rfc

Greek island protests inclusion in video game

I've added one thing on my to-do list:

# 2012 visit Lemnos with family, all wearing ARMA3 t-shirts

Ahh shiiit, we got some instigators here :p

I can just see your trip now

1,target that Civilian (T-Shirt)

Dan;2028033']arma 3 convention in 2012 on limnos anyone?

YES!

Time to RP the jackass mayor in Lemnos Life :D

what a lot of BS from their side. I always wondered why the fuck ppl take a video game that serious.

And about the security risk: i am sure turkey can get its hands on the same satellite images Bis is using for creating the island. Not even counting the fact that the island is not a militarized zone in itself...

I wouldn't worry about that. Limnos will soon be property of the European Union, a perfect site to solve the garbage disposal problems of the Italians by redistributing their waste to the island.

Also of course the purpose of NATO is to spend all of the money you haven't got on weapons and infrastructure to be used in a cold war against the one country you distrust completely, another NATO member.

The bottom line:

Lay off the booze, get (back) to work, start paying taxes, retire at age 75 to pay us back our money and STFU before you make yourself look even more silly.

Either that or BIS bribed the mayor to create a publicity stunt, it's very well possible in that corrupt dump of a country.

Edited by JdB

YES... I SEE IT NOW...... "Assassinate the Mayor" ...... This is one of the first missions I am going to make in ArmA III.

Special forces team including Maruk, Suma, Ivan... etc etc. ;)

:D

Edited by Dead3yez

The mayor of Washington, DC never bitched that his city got wrecked by the Russians in Modern Warfare 2. Why should this guy care?

This is ridiculous.

And, as Greece is probably going to be auctioned off to the highest bidder soon... BIS, want to buy Lemnos? :D :D

The mayor of Washington, DC never bitched that his city got wrecked by the Russians in Modern Warfare 2. Why should this guy care?

This is ridiculous.

And, as Greece is probably going to be auctioned off to the highest bidder soon... BIS, want to buy Lemnos? :D :D

MW2? Hell new york and washington DC have been destroyed a dozen times over including all of our historical landmarks or as being occupied by an opposing entity.

i was wondering when (if ever) this would happen, LOL!

Limnos, welcome to the godzilla club. an exclusive club for citys and locales that get regularly trashed in film and other media. You have been granted special access because, although this is your first (if only) appearance in the media as a hot spot, the cumulative damage that will be displayed over the course of the games life cycle more than makes up for it. congratulations! you may now take your place next to new york, Washington DC, LA, and Tokyo in history!

BIS should hold a contest once the game is out, the person that can submit the nicest ArmA3 video of Limnos being nuked gets a free DLC download. That should get them even more free publicity :D

Limnos, welcome to the godzilla club. an exclusive club for citys and locales that get regularly trashed in film and other media. You have been granted special access because, although this is your first (if only) appearance in the media as a hot spot, the cumulative damage that will be displayed over the course of the games life cycle more than makes up for it. congratulations! you may now take your place next to new york, Washington DC, LA, and Tokyo in history!

The difference is that this is Limnos's only claim to fame.

If the island was depicted incorrectly (I mean, like video games do with Mexico and Brazil) they would be with the reason. But, as I see, BIS is making all the efforts to make the island the most authentic possible given the software and hardware limitations.

I wouldn't care if my city was depicted as a war zone in a video game, but I would care if it was depicted, incorreclty, in a negative way.

Hi all

My Guess:

A competitor winding up some people to have go.

Seen it done before.

Still it is simple enough to turn it round.

This is one of those occasions where Brendan Behan's quote about no such thing as bad publicity probably applies.

A scandal should also raise the profile of the island for tourism. :D

BIS and the Limnos Tourist board can have a big fight all over the press then when release comes they both come over all lovey dovey and make lots of money... :yay::bounce3::yay:

Kind Regards walker

Edited by walker

Now all we need is an airport terrorist attack mission and ArmA 3 will have enough controversy to become mainstream :yay:

Since when does exposing terrain in high-definition of an island present a security threat? Haven't the Greeks heard of spy satellites like Göktürk?

This is the same Greek government that arrests and throws plane spotters in jail for being spies, then sends the very same aircraft to airshows like RIAT the following week. :j:

Derps derping derpily :yay:

My cynical side can almost see this being a publicity stunt by both BIS and the government of Limnos. It will certainly get both the game and the island some extra publicity, and as Walker pointed out, there is no such thing as bad publicity.

The complaint may aswell have been formulated like this:

"Argh, why must Bohemia Interactive use such a realistic and accurate depiction of our island in their war game?! We are extremely upset that our home is being represented in such intricate and lifelike detail, especially in a game that will likely take the milsim genre to a whole new level of realism. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME! It will be much too realistic and awesome! Come visit our beautiful island instead!"

The bottom line:

Lay off the booze, get (back) to work, start paying taxes, retire at age 75 to pay us back our money and STFU before you make yourself look even more silly.

Word. If anything, this is only a positive development.

Whats the bet that everyone in Europe already has high detail maps of everything of every country already?

If I manage to come up with cash for pc upgrade so I can get A3, I'll make that mayor suffer in all possible mission scenario's.

And my mind is very twisted. I can already see the goats...