Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

You are my hero, and those pictures look amazing. I'm wondering if this will completly replace the 2d editor.

See a lot of units placed indoors - a first for BI Devs! So that's a good thing. Was hoping for more accurate 2d building maps as well as floor level and waypoint access but still happy we getting 3d editor at all.

• Like 1

I wasn't sure where to post this but if you go through Weapons_F's UI files, wow... There's a lot more cut/changed weapons than a KSG and M1014.

For example, different models for the GM6/EBR, an M249, and the SDAR had a rail.

PAwFigT.png

There might be more, idk.

It seems there were also plans to add a silencer to the M320

m320silencerr8bhfeatnj.jpg

It seems there were also plans to add a silencer to the M320

m320silencerr8bhfeatnj.jpg

That's disappointing they scraped it. Or maybe who knows, it may show up in the expansion for free. (i'm not even serious)

See a lot of units placed indoors - a first for BI Devs! So that's a good thing. Was hoping for more accurate 2d building maps as well as floor level and waypoint access but still happy we getting 3d editor at all.

Having a closer look, unfortunately, that's not indoors. That building isn't even enter-able. It's a 2D view of the picture of the Ifrit, and if you look close, you'll realize those units are likely onto of the building.

the lighting looks different...ambient occlusion looks more pronounced..new lighting system???

I've noticed that there is no Synchronization button in new editor.. Anyways I'm really curious how will that work on tommorow's livestream.

I've noticed that there is no Synchronization button in new editor.. Anyways I'm really curious how will that work on tommorow's livestream.

I've already tried to figure out what all those buttons do, especially the ones in the middle of the upper toolbar. Can't wait for tomorrow.

*looks* like there might be some kind of terrain deformation tools. 3 buttons right under the "Tools" menu... Looks like a sphere, a "depression" tool, and a "raise/lower" tool (from right to left).

Really?

I was hoping to see or read some more details about the expansion sooner than that.

I thought they already made up their minds at least on the features they wanted to add.

BI have said they will release more info as this year (2015) goes by.

We'll discuss more and more as the year goes on.

The expansion release date is 2016.

...is to be released during the first half of 2016.

Source: http://dev.arma3.com/post/sitrep-00111

*looks* like there might be some kind of terrain deformation tools. 3 buttons right under the "Tools" menu... Looks like a sphere, a "depression" tool, and a "raise/lower" tool (from right to left).

The "depression tool" button is more likely a "follow terrain" button for placing objects. The button layout looks quite similar to the Cryengine Editor.

What really got my attention is that there is an object scaling button there!

My first thought was also that is is a terrain deformation tool, but that would be too 1337

Next up probably is the Visual Update package, which tunes the lighting configuration of Stratis and Altis, but also adds improved (underwater) fog and water reflections. Some time after that we'll share the Fatigue iteration. 

DarkSideSixOfficial

-Any ETA on when we'll get the new Shadow Tech with DX12?

@Fushko

@danczer

@R3vo

@chortles

I was RIGHT!!!! Although they said lighting, i was certain something was different about the shadows. Same thing.

(also, ignore the DX12 part, it was simply apart of the bait. XD)

I hope you are right, the shadow tech could need some work e.g multiple light sources cast shadows and more shadows with blurred edges.

I hope you are right, the shadow tech could need some work e.g multiple light sources cast shadows and more shadows with blurred edges.

Shadow tech? landscapes should cast shadows. Clouds too. This is huge to the believablity of the landscape and environment. would also prevent that floating shadow phenomena where your shadow looks like it is floating when you run on a hill.

large distant objects should too.

Forest floors should darken at distances too.

coincidentally, do shadows reduce AI visibility, that'd make using the terain and lighting more important.

edit - but note the word used in tuned. that doesnt imply big changes. but one can hope.

BIS is doing some awesome work, nicley done indeed!

Shadow tech? landscapes should cast shadows. Clouds too. This is huge to the believablity of the landscape and environment. would also prevent that floating shadow phenomena where your shadow looks like it is floating when you run on a hill.

large distant objects should too.

Forest floors should darken at distances too.

coincidentally, do shadows reduce AI visibility, that'd make using the terain and lighting more important.

edit - but note the word used in tuned. that doesnt imply big changes. but one can hope.

BIS is doing some awesome work, nicley done indeed!

I thought of most of that too. I remember seeing in Arma 2 a demonstration where a guy was prone in a ghillie and have AI patrol walk by, they didn't notice him because he was mainly behind a rock and not in direct line of sight. I would love it if there was more of a stealth dynamic towards AI, meaning that lighting like shadows can somewhat conceal you to the AI. This and maybe less noise when walking slowly crouched. It seems even just turning your character around alerts an AI instantly to your presence.

In regards to the clouds, i believe we had a series of frantic tests trying to accomplish something like that back in Alpha days. You could probably find one of ProGamer's posts on these forums somewhere. The scripts for TrueSKY are around, but if i'm not mistaken, BI disabled them. They're all there though, and we've yet to unlock it's full potential. In the TrueSKY features, it's already easily possible to have the clouds cast shadows. But in Arma, we don't know what to expect. Clouds have also been downgraded since Alpha. I hope BI can bring back it's visual fidelity though, maybe in the future.

According to the last sitrep, we should have informations about the expansion this week.

That's good news! Eager to read it!

I may have been out of the loop for a while but what was the Nexus update?

Focusing upon the improvement of core features and multiplayer systems, Nexus Update is a vital stepping-stone on our path towardsArma 3 Apex. Before creating new gameplay for this expansion, we want to provide a more robust foundation, investing further in gameplay features such as fatigue and personal protective equipment.

Alongside these refinements, Nexus Update includes new End Game instances and extensions to the mode's functionality. Our objective is to create a solid basis for future MP content, using this mode to optimise shared systems, identify performance bottlenecks, and validate improvements in other areas, such as AI, audio, and animations.

It hasn't happened. It's mostly tweaks that are currently on the dev branch. Click the link papanowels post to read about it.

From the article, I noticed a few nice things to come:

-Co-op campaign

-VTOL vehicle confirmed, it will be easier for modders to bring back the Harrier/F35 and V22 in the near future

-Light Strike Vehicle & more familiar / modern-day armaments (what player were waiting for)  B)

-Eden editor of course

• Like 1