Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Interesting... They were banned in Iran? GG

Though, great information. I guess we'll find out more in the year, as BIS said in the Sitrep. I really can't wait to learn more about this new masterpiece.

Banned in Iran but people still play it... I occasionally get Iranians trickling in to tell me my mod has some Farsi spelling mistakes. xP

So true. How long has this US Vs. Russia thing gone on? Also, if the population of the island of Tanoa before hand was Japanese held, then captured by the Allies, then we could see Japan/US Vs. PLA? Given Japan now a days, is actually building back up it's military, in order to combat rising Chinese presence in the Sea and surrounding islands.
Considering that Bohemia has never depicted (even mentioned?) Japan in the Armaverse previously, Occam's Razor would suggest that Armaverse!Japan followed our timeline up to a point and either eventually a Japanese government revoked Article 9 or if adhering more closely to our timeline determined that an expedition was constitutionally-compliant and armed accordingly... heck, in our timeline the Abe government relaxed a ban on Japanese arms exports, reinterpreted "defense of Japan" beyond a direct attack on Japanese soil, hosted Japan's first defense trade show... and now Mitsubishi Heavy is prototyping a high-speed amphibious assault vehicle due to "disappointment" with AAV7' water speed and concern about the AAV's ability to traverse coral reefs.
Interesting... They were banned in Iran? GG
That was due to the original plot (complete with Iranian shoulder flag patches), though presumably the ban wasn't lifted even after the replacement (presumably because Bohemia was very unsubtle about the recycling of assets from the original plot/premise).

Ok, so during 2034, the conflict in the Pacific was already growing. Joint CSAT operations were becoming larger and larger. This is in accordance to the Bootcamp, and beginning of the Main Campaign story line. So this means that there will be multiple Super Powers, in the South Pacific, China, being most certainly one of them. Joint CSAT, meaning, multiple factions under the Canton Protocol, most likely NOT having the same gear, as is the same with NATO. I'll find out more soon. Though, seeing as how the situation in the South Pacific has everyone, even Conway, and Adams sweating, it appears that the situation by 2035 would be at the brink of full blown war.

Dialogue - "We kept out time, we kept out peace. Now we get to go spend time with the big boys in the Pacific." ~Sargent Conway and another Soldier

Chatting at Camp Rogain, and this also means a Power House of forces. They also mentioned that the British were too broke to defend their Island claims. This could hint to some Rag Tag British involvement.

China Confirmed... Conway said it himself.

Mitchell - "Yeah but CSAT? How'd we ever let that happen anyway, man?"

Conway - "Not our call. They've got Growth, Influence... Fucking China man."

So, China is likley a big player in this whole South Pacific conflict, and combine that with weapon trafficking...

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Ok, so during 2034, the conflict in the Pacific was already growing. Joint CSAT operations were becoming larger and larger. This is in accordance to the Bootcamp, and beginning of the Main Campaign story line. So this means that there will be multiple Super Powers, in the South Pacific, China, being most certainly one of them.

In Bootcamp and the beginning of the A3 campaign they comment that there's a big war coming in the whole Pacific area, with both sides CSAT and NATO gathering forces there (South, North and Center: North Korea, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, etc.), as BTW is happening in real life haha (Both China and US are increasing their forces in the area).

CSAT2.png

most likely NOT having the same gear, as is the same with NATO.

Where do you take that conclusion from? If as I said, even NATO and CSAT share some gear.

In Bootcamp and the beginning of the A3 campaign they comment that there's a big war coming in the whole Pacific area, with both sides CSAT and NATO gathering forces there (South, North and Center: North Korea, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Philippines, etc.), as BTW is happening in real life haha (Both China and US are increasing their forces in the area).

http://s20.postimg.org/kqmtou2st/CSAT2.png

Where do you take that conclusion from? If as I said, even NATO and CSAT share some gear.

Yes, to certain respects. But it's not like were going to see Ifrit's with Chinese paint on it. The thing is, it's the fact that CSAT is a force made up of a large group of countries. While some gear is shared, most of it isn't, and the Powerhouse Nations have their own gear, China being one of them. Power house, i mean Super Power. Now of course, NATO, which in Arma 3, is the US Army, is only using the Merkava due to the fact it's just what BIS thought was "future" looking enough. But anyhow. The point being that China, manufactures it's own weaponry, and vehicles and gear. Thus won't be sharing uniforms with the Iranian counterpart, which uses some gear from China and Russia, probably because it's not that much of a Super Power, as Russia and China are. You won't see China using the T-100, as they've got their own tanks, in fact, IRL, China also has Amphibious Tank(s), and their own Uniforms they've developed themselves. So basically, it's a factor of China's power, and sovereignty within the organization like any other Super Power. If anything other factions in CSAT would be using other gear, based upon what country can provide what gear, depending on the Terrain.

If they did end up sharing the same old gear, it would pretty much look as bad as France, a NATO ally, showing up to the fight wearing MARPAT, and flying F-18 Hornets.... Which they don't have... Because they develop their own weaponry. Granted it's the Armaverse. But i don't believe BIS would so naive as to give a new force the same things within a year time frame of release. They're well aware that it would be a serious issue.

Edited by DarkSideSixOfficial

Ok, so during 2034, the conflict in the Pacific was already growing. Joint CSAT operations were becoming larger and larger. This is in accordance to the Bootcamp, and beginning of the Main Campaign story line. So this means that there will be multiple Super Powers, in the South Pacific, China, being most certainly one of them. Joint CSAT, meaning, multiple factions under the Canton Protocol, most likely NOT having the same gear, as is the same with NATO. I'll find out more soon. Though, seeing as how the situation in the South Pacific has everyone, even Conway, and Adams sweating, it appears that the situation by 2035 would be at the brink of full blown war.

Dialogue - "We kept out time, we kept out peace. Now we get to go spend time with the big boys in the Pacific." ~Sargent Conway and another Soldier

Chatting at Camp Rogain, and this also means a Power House of forces. They also mentioned that the British were too broke to defend their Island claims. This could hint to some Rag Tag British involvement.

China Confirmed... Conway said it himself.

Mitchell - "Yeah but CSAT? How'd we ever let that happen anyway, man?"

Conway - "Not our call. They've got Growth, Influence... Fucking China man."

So, China is likley a big player in this whole South Pacific conflict, and combine that with weapon trafficking...

Yes i want also to see.....finally full scale NATO assault not just a few units here and there.All out war with ships,planes,amphibian vehicles etc.

About the:

British that were too broke to defend their island claims.Later on in Win episode of East Wind i can't remeber correctly but someone says to Kerry about Miller being britsh Black ops.That was the British mission from the start,to get the earthquake device.Whether Miller gone rogue at the end or he was still working for the brits is unclear.I mean fighting all these years alongside the Guerillas and with no support from your country is really tough but that's what black op missions are all about.But i believe he'll play a big role in the next campaign as a good guy or a bad guy.....or both! ;)

Edited by major_Barnes1987

Anyone figure out if they're gonna bother fixing AI so they don't shoot through all the vegetation? :P Nightmare inc

Anyone figure out if they're gonna bother fixing AI so they don't shoot through all the vegetation? :P Nightmare inc

Yeah, I wish this would get some attention too. Quite worrying for Tanoa as well...

Also AI spotting enemy 'through' ground because they use low res version for vision testing.

Well ya know, I've never had a problem with AI shooting through bushes, and to be honest, so far it's not broken.

When ever I get shot at and hide behind a bush, the AI continue shooting at that bush. This seems realistic behavior... It's a bush. Not only that but certain bushes can't totally hide you. However for this jungle, you probably won't have much of an issue, if your smart. Look a how thick the bottom of the trees are. Don't think bullets would pass through that.

The point being that China, manufactures it's own weaponry, and vehicles and gear. Thus won't be sharing uniforms with the Iranian counterpart, which uses some gear from China and Russia, probably because it's not that much of a Super Power, as Russia and China are.
The hilarity for me is that the logical conclusion would be "the CSAT bug-eyes are just the export variant of what the possibly-still-PLA's got". :D (I say "possibly-still-PLA" in case Bohemia makes any specific changes to the structure of the possibly-still-PRC beyond its CSAT membership.)
You won't see China using the T-100, as they've got their own tanks, in fact, IRL, China also has Amphibious Tank(s),
The PLA is hardly the only force to field amphibious armor, though with tanks it probably depends on how one differentiates between "armor" and "tank" (beyond MBTs). For example -- this is for others, seeing as you've probably seen these -- in the mid-'90s the PLA procured a modernization of a '60s light tank which was inspired by a '50s Soviet design, but more recently also procured big-gun tracked armor such as the ZBD-04 from majoris' mod (and before it the ZBD-97... apparently after buying up rights to BMP-3 tech) and the ZTD-05 light tank (from the ZBD2000 family that MistyRonin mentioned) while some of the PLA's wheeled amphibious armored vehicles have ATGM/big gun variants... though those derivatives aren't necessarily amphibious.
and their own Uniforms they've developed themselves. So basically, it's a factor of China's power, and sovereignty within the organization like any other Super Power. If anything other factions in CSAT would be using other gear, based upon what country can provide what gear, depending on the Terrain.
Ehhh, I think the idea with The East Wind's UKSF is that was that they were so small a contingent (even relative to the already "small" forces that were in Altis as of "Drawdown") that it was believed that it wouldn't look too out of place for them to be retextured "NATO" (US Army)... a different story with the possibly-still-PRC of course, especially if they're "the armorer of CSAT".

On this AI and shooting through vegetation stuff: Like DarkSideSixOfficial said, AI shooting at you through concealment that they saw you enter (and which an AI should recognize as not being able to stop their bullets) is perfectly plausible. AI that shouldn't have seen you go through that bush on the other hand, or spotting you from behind concealment when they hadn't first seen you out in the open... ThreeDots seems to have a working example of correctly-configured "vision blocking".

Edited by Chortles

Well ya know, I've never had a problem with AI shooting through bushes, and to be honest, so far it's not broken.

When ever I get shot at and hide behind a bush, the AI continue shooting at that bush. This seems realistic behavior... It's a bush. Not only that but certain bushes can't totally hide you. However for this jungle, you probably won't have much of an issue, if your smart. Look a how thick the bottom of the trees are. Don't think bullets would pass through that.

It's not the baked in bushes, it's the ground clutter that while spicing up the landscape, seriously puts the player at disadvantage to AI who so far seems to see pretty well thru it.

It's not the baked in bushes, it's the ground clutter that while spicing up the landscape, seriously puts the player at disadvantage to AI who so far seems to see pretty well thru it.

I don't see it as too much of a problem. I've played on the Ukraine demo map, one that has some of the best and thickest foliage, and the AI don't see through it. Unless of course, as stated earlier, you end up being seen, and the AI will continue to place crappy shots in your direction through said foliage. But it won't be much of a problem, keep your eye's open, don't expect it to be a walk in the park, because while you may think the AI are not realistic, neither is just expecting to enter a jungle biome, and fight through it easy like it's nothing. The Jungle is a grade A place NOT to have a fire fight, but if you must, it's best to be as slow, and un-seen as you can, until you absolutely must go load. Then, it's best you try to take out the enemy before they do you, or flank. The moment you lose sight of the enemy, your screwed.

In some aspects dense jungle is like urban warfare, enemies can be hidden in trees, or at few meters from you and you won't see them. That's why the Vietcong for instance was seen as a ghost army.

The US soldiers in Vietnam to solve that situation avoided entering it and using the awful Napalm and agent orange instead.

Or that's why in the Bougainville war (the most closest to the Tanoa setting) the Papuan soldiers just control roads and towns, but don't dare to enter the jungle.

I can forsee that Tanoa will blow a lot of people's minds and force them to rethink most of their tactics. It's the better warfare for the OFP / Arma engine (small unit infantry fighting):

Jungle warfare is a term used to cover the special techniques needed for military units to survive and fight in jungle terrain.

It has been the topic of extensive study by military strategists, and was an important part of the planning for both sides in many conflicts, including World War II and the Vietnam War.

The jungle has a variety of effects on military operations. Dense vegetation can limit lines of sight and arcs of fire, but can also provide ample opportunity for camouflage and plenty of material with which to build fortifications.

Jungle terrain, often without good roads, can be inaccessible to vehicles and so makes supply and transport difficult, which in turn places a premium on air mobility. The problems of transport make engineering resources important as they are needed to improve roads, build bridges and airfields, and improve water supplies.

Jungle environments can also be inherently unhealthy, with various tropical diseases that have to be prevented or treated by medical services. Likewise the terrain can make it difficult to deploy armoured forces, or any other kind of forces on any large scale. Successful jungle fighting emphasises effective small unit tactics and leadership.

Edited by MistyRonin

Bouncing expansion confirmed :D

I wonder if he played the early access?

Congratulations Lord Pettka, I'm sure the Bounce is strong with you right now but as time moves one, beware of the Dark Side of the Bounce

Edited by froggyluv

I wonder if he played the early access?

This comment won the thread :D

Thanks a lot, lads, but now back to the topic - this should not affect Arma 3 :icon_twisted:

Yeah, back to topic.

Any more news about the expansion?

Like will there be a campaign or not?