Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

chortles I doubt it will be an issue if the community could vote more on major issues. I am not saying everything...this is about the Expansion. Like do you want a Lite, Medium or a Heavy Expansion. Factions are A, B and C. Prices are X Y and Z. Not assume everyone will be pleased with just 7 weapons in the Marksman DLC.

If you told me that you actually believed that the vote wouldn't be rigged by the very question "do you want a Lite, Medium, or a Heavy Expansion" (much less "Prices are X Y and Z") I would consider you willfully naive, a liar, or otherwise untrustworthy.

I am not saying fine details can be left to the whims of said Community.

You cannot honestly tell me that this would not be the inevitable outcome of letting "the community" have a binding vote.

I am just worried with Tanoa-yes there is room for big vehicles. But BIS does the whole...well the Island is a Jungle technically...We didn't feel it was perfect setting for that, so there you go here are your pimped out army Jeeps with a .50 and and a AGL on it. 

Why then even create a Jungle Pacific island if all it is gonna be used for its nostalgia  and "maybe modders can use this better than we can". I mean nostalgia because it has feelings of Jungle Beach invasion amphibious warfare. But if the developed Content doesn't support Amphibious warfare its basically just a prettier official non bugged Stratis or Altis island.

I can't agree if only because nothing about the island concepts (be it for Altis/Stratis or Tanoa) specifically rule out amphibious warfare, however you define it. As long as there's beaches to land/roll on...

chortles here is a question. If you feel BIS more so the developers of ArmA 3 are corrupt enough to rig a vote. Then why are you even then on this forum? Logically? I could never understand someone that hates on something yet feels open to wanting to talk about it or be involved in something they dislike.

You vote with your pocket. If you dislike BIS or ArmA 3 do not buy the Expansion the game or demand your money back.

I think you also do not give BIS enough credit. Where is your factual evidence BIS will swing the vote? Its akin to me saying yeah they in it to screw me over without having a solid shred of evidence they will. So that makes me now naive? Tell me apart from complaining what are you doing to address it... the issues with ArmA 3? Its like people complain all day om Facebook ArmA 3 sucks. But have never put in the hours to make even a simple mod or even try. They will find fault even with a Steak made by Gordon Ramsey.

Secondly I maintain if we had a system where we could influence things why cant we? Oh wait we are naive to ask. It has taken BIS years to do Bi pods and a 3D editor. They listened to what we wanted even though it took years. Again you would have us just sit by and accept. Part of what makes ArmA so great is the community. 

What do you think the bugs forums are for. Posting in hopes issues get fixed no? Should we not do that because again its bending on them? I again state I am not saying you want a Jet ski and Peter wants a Jeep lets vote on that. I have said not fine details. But when you have paying clients you listen to them. You can never make them happy but you do acknowledge your biggest community base/ supporters.

You last statement about Tanoa. What would you have Tanoa be? A dead Island version of Day Z in the tropics. The Map has many water ways. I see no point making a tropical island if all it is is just a greener island.  I am sure I can say people want Amphibious. Its not rocket science. The map is suited for that. If you feel differently fine. But Apex and Tanoa is meant to be a different set up with new characters, stories, dynamics and factions. Imagine if it was more of the same. Would you be happy?

chortles here is a question. If you feel BIS more so the developers of ArmA 3 are corrupt enough to rig a vote. Then why are you even then on this forum? Logically?

I'm not accusing the devs of rigging any vote, I'm declaring that the very question of "do you want a big expansion" is so inherently rigged against any choice that isn't "big expansion" as to be worthless.

Similarly, from a dev POV I'd never agree to be bound by the outcome of a "community" vote/system on what to fix because that's design by committee waiting to happen, not least because how many of the outcomes would be "make my preferred mod part of the vanilla game."

You last statement about Tanoa. What would you have Tanoa be? A dead Island version of Day Z in the tropics. The Map has many water ways. I see no point making a tropical island if all it is is just a greener island.  I am sure I can say people want Amphibious. Its not rocket science. The map is suited for that. If you feel differently fine. But Apex and Tanoa is meant to be a different set up with new characters, stories, dynamics and factions. Imagine if it was more of the same. Would you be happy?

... I have no idea what you were even trying to say here; nothing about Tanoa being "a greener island" makes it any less receptive to the amphibious warfare concept, and none of what you described ("new characters, stories, dynamics and factions") has anything to do with that either, because I already expect those as part of any new playable content in Apex.

I'm not accusing the devs of rigging any vote, I'm declaring that the very question of "do you want a big expansion" is so inherently rigged against any choice that isn't "big expansion" as to be worthless. Perhaps if tied to cost for big expansion said Rigged vote may not go along the lines of Yes. Again you cannot assume who will want what. What happens if they do three different expansions based on Costs? There is talk of a Deluxe expansion version and a Vanilla version but the content will be the same for all player bases.

Your issue is how this is achieved not what benefits it brings. That's arguing for arguments sake. Yes everyone wants a large SUV...can you afford it. Same as can everyone afford to buy the Digital deluxe edition. No. This gives BIS a clear indication A: What we want. And B: What we are prepared to Pay. The whole issue raised in ArmA 3 is lack of Content. This is where people can have a say. A good example is pre order. I would pre order if I was promised a large amount. But if i was allowed to pre order and I only got 7 new weapons i may not buy it. The whole system is designed so BIS can see what the gamer wants and what they want to pay. And then gauge the feel of the community. Steam often polls Users on System specs is a good example. This is why Beta is released to the public for testing and evaluation. Read about the Helo DLC and the Marksmen DLC. I roughly skimmed the Posts on Steam. 7 Weapons for X. Rip off. The odd one was its cool as the DLC it brings Bi pods. We can overlook the rest. But I am glad you agree we all want a large expansion.

Similarly, from a dev POV I'd never agree to be bound by the outcome of a "community" vote/system on what to fix because that's design by committee waiting to happen, not least because how many of the outcomes would be "make my preferred mod part of the vanilla game." No where did I say Mod. Again my whole argument is this Expansion. If BIS wants to buy a Mod let them. If it speeds up Dev time. So be it. We often outsource when we are swamped or its close of business at 5 PM. But this isn't the issue. You keep focusing on people being given 60 options to choose from. You have issue with the community selecting what is made. But have no issue on the Devs doing so? Again I didn't say lets vote on the 20 Camo varieties presents globally. Yes there is more. I am just saying and have said. A B and C.

... I have no idea what you were even trying to say here; nothing about Tanoa being "a greener island" makes it any less receptive to the amphibious warfare concept, and none of what you described ("new characters, stories, dynamics and factions") has anything to do with that either, because I already expect those as part of any new playable content in Apex.

Apex is a tropical beachy Jungle island. With many satellite islands. Yoris himself said he would like to see a Mission of a Helo dropping off a boat and you patrolling. So unless its all boat based. Another possible scenario would be Amphibious. I just feel based on the setting and tropics and its location. Amphibious settings would be nice. Its really not even about what I want. If they want to make it about some Spec ops that's their choice.  For all we know the Devs may make it solely a war fought with Digital warfare. But I doubt that. Anyway in closing I do not want this thread to become some House of Congress debating some Bill. If you want to robustly discuss this PM me. This thread is a Development Blog & Reveals. Apologies to Bohemia Beck. Yoris and Jay Crowe.

chortles here is a question. If you feel BIS more so the developers of ArmA 3 are corrupt enough to rig a vote. Then why are you even then on this forum? Logically? I could never understand someone that hates on something yet feels open to wanting to talk about it or be involved in something they dislike.

You vote with your pocket. If you dislike BIS or ArmA 3 do not buy the Expansion the game or demand your money back.

If i didn't like my Country, i wouldn't simply leave. I would stay and try my best to make it better. If i was designed an aircraft, i wouldn't scratch the project because a few things were wrong with it, but everything else worked as it should have. If something is wrong, you don't leave it, and abandon it. If humans had children, and left them because they didn't like them, we've be extinct. My point is, you can not like something. But that doesn't dictate someone should leave. Critical criticism is what keeps the game alive. It's what helps BIS implement new things, scrap old ones, improve, shape, sculpt the game, make it better. Leaving it, would essentially leave BI with their own vision, which without vast community input, would be extremely limited to the minds of those on the inside.

On another note, however, Stratis and Altis did come with Amphibious vehicles, while limited as of now (Marshall, Marid, and Gorgon), BI have plans to get tracked Amphibious vehicles going as i believe i mentioned before. This could also certainly mean Vanilla Amphibious Tracked vehicles of the sorts, or use of similar tech, and improvements in Amphibious things... As of now, all Amphibious vehicles move slower than they do IRL... So i would imagine the Expansion will uplift a lot of clunky things dealing with Water... i hope.

so far i didn't understand what is APEX.............

Apex: the top or highest point of something

It's the name of the A3 Tanoa Expansion.  :) 

The Arma 3 Apex expansion strikes a balance between adding valuable new features, systems, and content, and the resolution of some 'legacy' issues, which stands to improve the game as a whole - both as an authentic near-future military shooter, and as a platform for a diversity of custom content.

With Tanoa, a co-op campaign, and new vehicles, weapons, and characters at the heart of our official content, we're aiming to dig into the theme of near-future combat, expand our line-up of more familiar / modern-day armaments, and introduce new vehicle classes, such as VTOL aircraft and Light Strike Vehicles.

a3_apex_roadmap.png

We hope this high-level briefing provides a sense of our trajectory towards Arma 3 Apex. Closing in on the release of each package, we'll be better positioned to share more intel. As usual, we hope our cocktail of ‘REPs and Dev-Branch updates will be augmented by community feedback and discussion!

Just to be clear, as with our previous releases, we're maintaining a 'features are free, content is premium' doctrine. That means all platform improvements and additions (e.g., the 3D editor) are available to everyone, but significant new content (e.g., Tanoa itself) will be tied to ownership of Arma 3 Apex.

In short Apex will contain brand new map Tanoa, co-op campaign, and new vehicles (VTOL, striker fire vehicles), weapons, and characters.

http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-roadmap-2015-16

http://arma3.com/news/arma-3-nexus-update

zukov The video above is the new Island being developed by BIS for the upcoming Expansion called Apex. Much as Altis was released a bit later for the Vanilla ArmA 3 game. Tanoa is the new map which will form the new Battlefield you can run and gun on. As far as what Apex is its the Expansion. What it will contain past Tanoa is purely been speculation. Apart from the mentioned Light Strike Vehicle and the VTOL.

Apex: the top or highest point of something

It's the name of the A3 Tanoa Expansion.  :) 

I think its more like a Le Tour de France section...the highest point

zukov The video above is the new Island being developed by BIS for the upcoming Expansion called Apex. Much as Altis was released a bit later for the Vanilla ArmA 3 game. Tanoa is the new map which will form the new Battlefield you can run and gun on. As far as what Apex is its the Expansion. What it will contain past Tanoa is purely been speculation. Apart from the mentioned Light Strike Vehicle and the VTOL.

i know what is Tanoa  Apex seems, IMHO, a sort of multilevel marketing......... :D

• Like 1

i know what is Tanoa  Apex seems, IMHO, a sort of multilevel marketing......... :D

You will be surprised who doesn't know. I just figured why slate people who are less informed. The biggest thing about ArmA is the huge community following. We should be approachable just as much for  "novices" who are curious. That way people feel included and welcome. Treat people as you wish to be treated.

I like how the blueish tint that makes things look bit purple is gone. And the shadowing omnomnom....

This is really much much better.

You should ask it is making it worse? I think we can say no. Again a free update when it could have been tied into Apex for Tanoa only.

I think judging from the released image we are close to the mass role out of the new Ocean and lighting shader for Altis and Stratis.

The bad lighting settings combined with the old shaders have always been my biggest complaint in terms of graphics for stratis/altis. Everytime i put my models/textures into stratis/altis they just looked horrible and dull.

This is some amazing improvement, can't wait for release of those shaders. Makes me very happy ^_^

Is it just me or do the rocks up close and in the distance look as if their textures are sharper in the 2016 picture?

I think it's because the first picture has settings on Low, while the 2016 one is all maxed out. A cheap trick if you ask me :)

• Like 2

It looks like there's a slight green post processing effect put over it. I hope it doesn't make Altis lose its hot and dry feeling.

Water reflections does make it nicer but that cheap trick with textures , wow

Give us PBR shading then i will be pleased (not gonna happen , even not sure if in A4 ha)  :P

Agreed, PBR shading would be great, but yeah, very unlikely. I hope Arma 4 gets it.

Send from my tablet, so pardon any autocorrect bollocks

Here's a comparison with ultra settings (in the middle). (Objects, terrain, textures, shadows, clouds with 120% sampling & 4xAA)

5xHon5B.jpg

• Like 3

You should ask it is making it worse? I think we can say no. Again a free update when it could have been tied into Apex for Tanoa only.

No clue what you mean.