Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

From the Cynical Brit video Arma 3 presentation, are we allowed to attach the bombs anywhere on the vehicles or are they presetted proxies?

It would be nice if a yellow model of the bomb was presented on your screen and you could move it freely around the model until you planted it.

Not going to be very sneaky if your C4 is right next to the drivers door. ;)

Not going to be very sneaky if your C4 is right next to the drivers door. ;)

:D That's right! :D And it's a good suggestion (with the "placement choice").

:D That's right! :D And it's a good suggestion (with the "placement choice").

Yeah, similiar to GRAW2 but honestly I don't really mind as long as I can attach it to every vehicle :)

Why that?

Considering that the NATO is quite overwhelmed in the game's setting, it could easily be that backpacks from different countries are used here and there. Don't forget that the NATO is not only the US (from which the coyote pack is from, if I remember correctly [at least its classname is US_Backpack_EP1 :D]).

Mainly because I don't like it when companies recycle things from old games *cough*callofduty*cough*

What we really need would be skin groups and the possibility to change the flag (and the Camo) on a Vest/Backpack/Uniform. Like a NATO vest with a British flag, or and Iranian Uniform with a Canadian Flag and CADPAT on it, or something like that.

Id rather they use perfectly fine existing content like the backpack than wasting time on making a similar one from ground up just for the principle of it.

Edited by sparks50

Well reusing content isn't beneath BIS. In the recent video you can see the ArmA2 rubble piles being reused already, unless those are just placeholders.

Well reusing content isn't beneath BIS. In the recent video you can see the ArmA2 rubble piles being reused already, unless those are just placeholders.

why in the world would you remake rubble piles?

why in the world would you remake rubble piles?

Not saying they would, but the rubble's quality did rather clash against the detail of the rest of the environment so I'm just leaving that possibility in the air.

there must be thousands of textures in game, remaking all of them is probably not a high priority. I don't think it is about reusing actual "game content".

the rubble pile really detracted from the whole scene hoping its placeholder if not, im sure someone will mod it to look nice.... r

Im still very eager to learn what BIS has done to the lighting engine and particle engine.

and HDR artifacts are still present, like glowing stone surfaces, glowing clothing etc, this all hopefully wont make it into final product.

Overall, Lemnos is looking beautiful.

and HDR artifacts are still present, like glowing stone surfaces, glowing clothing etc, this all hopefully wont make it into final product.

This is a major problem.

It could be a nice effect but it would have to be more detailed (sampling density) and less extreme. Coupled with HDR it sometimes produces insane results. You can't see whats happening on half of the screen.

Problem is that its not always so bad, it heavily depens on screen content/time of day/etc

Oh it's pretty bad. It's as if glow acts on the rendered finished image rather than operating on the HDR image. So if 1 is color white, it will act on this color no matter what, rather than operating on the color 1.5 which is only present in HDR. Furthermore, glow should be more visible on shiny/specular objects than on dull objects. So the white fur of a cow won't glow, but the specular surface of metal will.

the rubble pile really detracted from the whole scene hoping its placeholder if not, im sure someone will mod it to look nice.... r

Doubt it, especially it is not all that simple to replace models within an island.

Im still very eager to learn what BIS has done to the lighting engine and particle engine.

That is something i am very interested in. Would love to see an updated deffered lighting system, including soft shadows and alike...you can never see this sort of jagged projected shadow irl

unfortunately i already noticed the character shadow floating on one of the buildings with no terrain shadow under it in the video.

i hope they will have proper terrain shadows on buildings on final release.

unfortunately i already noticed the character shadow floating on one of the buildings with no terrain shadow under it in the video.

i hope they will have proper terrain shadows on buildings on final release.

Its heavily Work in Progress (WIP) another year to go for BIS in terms of development time.

I also noticed cookie cutter like shadows still present and shadows that were missing layers, ghost shadows i guess you could call them.

@Pufu Yes it would be excellent if we had more than 2 dynamic shadow casting light sources (sun and moon) and more than 8 point lights.

I would be utterly confused if deffered lighting wasnt implemented sometime in the A3 dev cycle seeing that alot of small little features are being implemented before hand.

@Dwarden Thanks for clarifying the issue. :)

Its heavily Work in Progress (WIP) another year to go for BIS in terms of development time.

I also noticed cookie cutter like shadows still present and shadows that were missing layers, ghost shadows i guess you could call them.

@Pufu Yes it would be excellent if we had more than 2 dynamic shadow casting light sources (sun and moon) and more than 8 point lights.

I would be utterly confused if deffered lighting wasnt implemented sometime in the A3 dev cycle seeing that alot of small little features are being implemented before hand.

@Dwarden Thanks for clarifying the issue. :)

watch this vbs2 1.5 video, about the light improvments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOxDmHDe_jg

i also read an vbs2 pdf where they showed thw light ans shadow improvments.

i believe they are all in arma3.

Have to say I'm looking forward to this more than any game. Only thing is I hope I don't have to upgrade my pc for it — again!

System Manufacturer: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.

System Model: GA-880GM-UD2H

BIOS: Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG

Processor: AMD Athlon II X4 630 Processor (4 CPUs), ~2.8GHz

Memory: 2048MB RAM

Available OS Memory: 2046MB RAM

Page File: 1676MB used, 6436MB available

GFX card is a Nvidia GTX 460 768mb

Only thing wrong there is I have 10gb but I haven't installed it yet since it only came back from RMA today! :)

On a prelim and a very rough estimate what do you guys think?

Don't forget that the game is WIP and will be release next year so you have to expect a bit more if you want to play in decent settings.

I recommed waiting for Arma 3 to come out before you upgrade. Prices for high end hardware will drop and you will be able to tailor a budget upgrade suited for Arma's requirments or simply buy a new rig.

You have an mid range setup overall btw.

You have an mid range setup overall btw.

Mid range, that cpu is about double as good as mine and then I havent mentioned the graphics card, I really need to upgrade. :(