Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Is Nikos Panagopoulos a post op transsexual?

Certainly not packing much heat eh :eek::butbut: Reminds me of early release action man figures :)

Digital ken doll. I wonder if he has a sassy voice.

Edited by NodUnit

Umm.. Dwarden informed the community on the BI forums in this very thead...

They are also up to 8 new screenshots and dozens of others on gaming news websites, but yeah, repeating the point of a thread in the thread is odd. :confused:

the post doesnt only repeat the news but also copyies the post in the exact same way switching only one or two words.

ohh and regarding nikos background a little bit more. Lets pretend the guys in the grey suits and red cloths on the arm are the guerillas or some mercenaries, meaning BLUFOR friendly. Why would they then point a gun at him? The scene looks a lot like an interrogation.

Also: Dragons..... Dragon Rising..... cant be a good thing! ;)

ohh and regarding nikos background a little bit more. Lets pretend the guys in the grey suits and red cloths on the arm are the guerillas or some mercenaries, meaning BLUFOR friendly. Why would they then point a gun at him? The scene looks a lot like an interrogation.

I think they defend Arma 3 against bohemian spies.

@PuFu: Thanks. Great video/slides. Guess simple translucency is easily available (like polygonal leafs), but volume SSS still too computational/memory ineffective to apply to all humans around us (within a certain radius/LOD based). Better off just bake in the effect for varying amount of light, call it a day, and live with the inaccuracies.

But seeing how far they have come with GI (using AO/FSAO approximations), I did expect SSS to have come further by now :)

Maybe a special agent?:rolleyes:
Like a travel agent?

I LOL'ed hard :D

real men use the thump:blues:

I hold my sig that way. Guess I'm not a real man then. I use my thumb when I hold other things though :D

I guess the shading isn't perfect, but at least the proportions looks pretty good (unlike one of the TAKOH brothers). The shading doesn't worry me much.

Railgun tanks? Those oughta be fun. Just hope BI gets them right in the effects departement. So that they sound realistic, and not like laz0rs from space.

:I Instagoat demanding something to be realistic instead of gamey? The world must be ending!

(But srsly. Sound effects and visual effects need a bit of beefing up. That´s one thing the Dragon Rising did well, if nothing else... well, visually, not in its audio dept.)

Now, can we also get teasers for, say, the new interface? Or the new animations (or animation system. Are you doing something like an in-house euphoria, BI?) or demos of the AI doing stuff it couldn´t do before?

That´d be rad.

I believe that in one interview they said that they are remaking the animation system, but they said the same about sound several times and other stuff. Poses look nice on these screens, but IMO theres not enough evidence that they really changed it, they could have just added more polish.

This post actually made me to check his posts and see wether hes a spammer ^^ What are you trying to contribute to the thread with this statement of yours, Jannah?

it is spam bot, good eye...

I believe that in one interview they said that they are remaking the animation system, but they said the same about sound several times and other stuff. Poses look nice on these screens, but IMO theres not enough evidence that they really changed it, they could have just added more polish.

They said so, however, no statement in what way. They also "changed" the animation system from A1 to A2 by adding more and more diverse animations, but leaving the basic system the same... the result is the jerky, clunky, cumbersome way of moving around we have right now. It´s comparatively easy to make new animations on an established system, but revamping the system is challenging I would imagine.

I think BI are up to the task, though. To this one, and all the others. I am hoping for an overall much, much improved game. After reading the PC Gamer article, I´m even more hopeful about them thinking of the new players, and making entry easier for them. If half the studio found the game hard to get, how difficult would it have to be for the common gamer?

Still looking forward to seeing more of the interesting stuff. Now that I´ve seen the railfun (no typo) tank, I´m more interested in the juicy bits. You know, like a new and better HC interface? :D

For what I understood, most animations will be the same, with a lot of new and improved ones like swimming, running un-armed etc, although the animation system itself was not enough I guess.

Could be for many reasons like non-smooth animation transitions, possibility to animate single body parts like just the left arm for example.

Basically, I don't think you can get better animations then with Motion-Capture, that BIS actually uses to make their animations.

But, animation system can be a lot of improved in many other areas like using

very cool technology.

_neo_

One animation I really hope makes it in is the basic flinch/stun animations (or a few for variety).

I know that some people get shot and don't know it but it just don't feel right when your shooting an enemy, red puffs come out, but no other visible reaction is happening. For satisfying and balanced gameplay, a visible reaction should both take place, and generally delay the wounded party from immediate action.

Would also be great for small falls from height as opposed to broken legs or death.

it is spam bot, good eye...

First hint was that it was a "girl". :p

One animation I really hope makes it in is the basic flinch/stun animations (or a few for variety).

I know that some people get shot and don't know it but it just don't feel right when your shooting an enemy, red puffs come out, but no other visible reaction is happening. For satisfying and balanced gameplay, a visible reaction should both take place, and generally delay the wounded party from immediate action.

Would also be great for small falls from height as opposed to broken legs or death.

And a couple breaching animations would be nice but probably not gonna happen. :(

Maybe another gorilla leader. The guy who'll backstab you later and you know it, but you have to work alongside him anyway.

:p Guerrilla sir, Guerrilla. That guy doesn't look mean enough to be a Guerrilla leader..... speaking of which, neither do most guerrilla leaders in actuality. :D

Railgun tanks? Those oughta be fun. Just hope BI gets them right in the effects departement. So that they sound realistic, and not like laz0rs from in space.

How can laz0rs make a sound in space? Space is a vacuum cleaner, full of dark energy :p

Anyway, back on topic, MOAR PICTURES. Please. :yay:

Anyway, back on topic, MOAR PICTURES. Please. :yay:

I'm pretty sure, we will get plenty of it next week. :cool:

I'm pretty sure, we will get plenty of it next week. :cool:

is this confirmed or just guessing?

I believe he's referring to Gamescom, where ARMA 3 will be shown along with Take On Helicopters and Carrier Command.

is this confirmed or just guessing?

I'm just guessing but like Zipper5 said gamescon is coming and we might get some new screenies.

For what I understood, most animations will be the same, with a lot of new and improved ones like swimming, running un-armed etc, although the animation system itself was not enough I guess.

Could be for many reasons like non-smooth animation transitions, possibility to animate single body parts like just the left arm for example.

Basically, I don't think you can get better animations then with Motion-Capture, that BIS actually uses to make their animations.

But, animation system can be a lot of improved in many other areas like using

very cool technology.

_neo_

They said ArmA 3 would have a "revamped" animation "system", which sounds like they're changing the system not adding new animations, which would be a good thing.