Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Hot new features for Arma 3

Sexy hair simulation

Incredibly realistic whiteboards

Incredibly intimidating instructors through a monitor

All your hair products are belong to BIS

Speaking of which, can anyone read the left half of that whiteboard in the image where the soldier with the Mk 20* is looking at it? On the right-hand side I see "DRILL AREA ORANGE", "Alternate Weapon", "[something]'s Down-Low", "Scan for Targets!", "Shoot through Bushes!" and what looks like "Pay Up!"...

* By this I mean the F2000 Tactical (optics rail) with longer-barrel than in real life seen in 2011 ARMA screenshots.

New pics look awesome as usual but I won't believe that the game looks that good until I see it in action. There are tons of good looking arma 2 screenshots, yet when playing I still get "paper" trees and "cardboard" terrain even with very high settings and a capable graphics card.

B.S. All it takes to replicate Press Release quality ArmA 2 screenshots is the right lightning conditions in-game.

I'm very dissapointed Bohemia, you should never have advertised the screenshots of realistic tactics training! If the Call of Duty fanbase discovers these screenshots it could potentially change the world of gaming as we know it, millions of run-n-gun FPS players could be tranformed into a new generation of highly skilled combat experts, there won't be any noobs left for us to play against.:mad:

I hope you are taking the piss madeon :p

New pics look awesome as usual but I won't believe that the game looks that good until I see it in action. There are tons of good looking arma 2 screenshots, yet when playing I still get "paper" trees and "cardboard" terrain even with very high settings and a capable graphics card. And 1.62 hasn't helped any.

I am hoping that arma 3 will do away with these issues though.

I feel bad for you then :( ArmA 2 is STILL one of the best looking games on the planet and you need to get that fixed ASAP bud!

---

Screenshots look good! Wondering how easy it will be to port existing addons!

New 10 min footage from GC, reposting from the Media thread - http://videos.pcgames.de/video/10238/ArmA3-Gameplay-mit-Entwicklerkommentar

The training camp concept is very sound and I do like the artwork used throughout the scenes. Reload anims @ 3:39, sweet underwater ragdoll @ 5:45.

:icon_dj:

Edited by Iroquois Pliskin

Screenies are looking good...but can you turn off the Post Processing please...my eyes are bad enough. :)

At the end of the video I think Ivan was trying to break the land speed record!

Note to self - much safer to risk being caught in the open under heavy enemy fire then to jump in a vehicle driven by Ivan.

Why are there yellow arrows every 20m on that road? It's the only road there, I can see that.

Do bootcamp, but don't overdo it.

I can see that there are writing and arrows on the walls, does that mean we can write on walls now? like if we scan a city, and have to go house by house, we can paint an X or write Clear, for easier organization in groups.

At the end of the video I think Ivan was trying to break the land speed record!

Note to self - much safer to risk being caught in the open under heavy enemy fire then to jump in a vehicle driven by Ivan.

He drove off a cliff again. :p That APC exhibits great traction - probably the new physics involved.

I like how Lord Ivan plays infantry like CoD =P I'd like to try playing against BIS guys someday :bounce3:

Why are there yellow arrows every 20m on that road? It's the only road there, I can see that.

Do bootcamp, but don't overdo it.

There was a T junction at one point, this is probably the armoury's random scenario generator.

Is it just me or does the way the weapon handles seem more natural? It looks like it sways with the breathing. I think you can see it better when Ivan brings up the optics.

Those explosion effects in the night mission looked amazing!

Yeah I played the explosions in slow motion using windows movie maker and there are lots of sparks flying everywhere now, I never seen these sparks in arma 2.

In terms of community expectations, I think it's useful to consider the GC presentations as an iteration of our E3 demo, and (as I've mentioned previously) something of an advert for our public alpha content.

Almost everything we've presented in the past has been fixed or evaluated in some way, and, of course, we're excited to show it off. We conducted a fairly extensive 'post-mortem' of the E3 Alpha, and a lot of the things that we've learned from it are part of this new (more robust) build. From the very minor things, which are probably easier to 'feel' than 'see', to more obvious stuff such as some new particle effects for artillery support. That might mean groaning about some of the stuff you've seen before (oh, hello, scuba showcase!), but it's part of our determination to get some things right before tossing in new features.

There's also a lot of people out there who are unfamiliar with Arma at all, or perhaps weren't able to make it to E3. That includes various features that a lot of people in the wider gaming public may have missed out on, should they have left the series with A2. These presentations demonstrate the core of the game, which we need to get right, and we'd do ourselves a disservice to miss our on presenting unique features of Arma to a bunch of potential new players! :)

Another factor worth mentioning is that GC is a lot more 'hands on' than at E3, which was a far more supervised affair, often with Ivan or myself taking the reins to guide people through. The public floor at GC will not afford such luxury, nor players familiar with Arma. We made the decision to polish up some of the E3 showcase gameplay, which was perhaps previously held together (in splendid fashion) with some dried toothpaste (I exaggerate, naturally), and put it in gamers hands with a bit more confidence.

It's been an important process to go through for letting people decide for themselves if Arma is making progress, and it'll be a great foundation for future public versions. :cool: All that being said, there's good progress been made in the short period following E3. We've introduced the Mines Showcase and presented the

proper, and taken a closer look at things like
and our
system. I see a lot of potential in these areas, though it's just a small part of the enormous Arma pie.

Best,

RiE

Edited by RoyaltyinExile

Because Call of Duty has checkpoints, so ArmA3 needs checkpoints too. People aren't smart enough to follow a road without handholding anymore. :)

THE AMOUNT OF ASSUMPTIONS IN THIS THREAD IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

* taking a chill pill *

Actually, the road network this driving course takes place on is quite complex with many turns and obstacles and you have these checkpoints to navigate you through it (you have to hit them in the correct order). Simple waypoints were sometimes not clearly visible in the speed when they change every 100 meters or so, so additional 3D helpers were added.

THE AMOUNT OF ASSUMPTIONS IN THIS THREAD IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

* taking a chill pill *

Actually, the road network this driving course takes place on is quite complex with many turns and obstacles and you have these checkpoints to navigate you through it (you have to hit them in the correct order). Simple waypoints were sometimes not clearly visible in the speed when they change every 100 meters or so, so additional 3D helpers were added.

Of all the questions that needed answer, you answered this.

Jezuro> Dude, chill, or you'll get a stroke! Its not worth it :D

Of all the questions that needed answer, you answered this.

He didn't have to say anything.

Jezuro> Dude, chill, or you'll get a stroke! Its not worth it :D

But yeah, take your time make as good as possible. For a game that is at least 6 months from release, we've seen a lot of stuff.