Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

Ballistics is hard, hit scan even more. From now on when you shoot any weapon there will be a 50% chance that a random enemy unit (infantry/vehicle/aircraft) will be destroyed. This will reduce the load on the server to the point where

isn't something special, it's the norm!

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Maruk quote might be more to do with tank interiors than other interiors. Masterful context-removal :)

I'm not entirely sure, but I think that Maruk quote might be more to do with tank interiors than other interiors. Masterful context-removal :)

By linking to an article about CM? L0L

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-08-codemasters-responds-to-criticism-about-loss-of-in-car-view-in-grid-2

"Codemasters responds to criticism about loss of in-car view in Grid 2: "We can use the extra available memory to make the on-track racing a truly mind-blowingly immersive experience."

Ze mind-blowingly, amazingly derptastic experience of being limited by 6 year old console hardware and having to remove racing cockpits in a racing (semi-)sim, in order to put some more detail on cars is a farce!

That piece of news is actually more significant than many laymen here might think: Codemasters has figured out a way how to cut an unimplemented feature from a game and change it into something that makes the game equally more amazing in another part of the game with 100% or more effectiveness. Wait until this new technology or method spreads throughout the rest of the game industry and we'll be living in interesting times! Think of the possibilities: instead of just removing cockpits in Arma 3, we could also make Limnos 33% bigger in exchange!

So, what will be in for the loss of the 3D Editor? :j:

PS: Too much bashing on CM for nothing. Who here plays GRID?

So, what will be in for the loss of the 3D Editor? :j:

Absolutely nothing at this point except a timely release, of course: our moles have been unsuccessful in obtaining the new tech.

That piece of news is actually more significant than many laymen here might think: Codemasters has figured out a way how to cut an unimplemented feature from a game and change it into something that makes the game equally more amazing in another part of the game with 100% or more effectiveness. Wait until this new technology or method spreads throughout the rest of the game industry and we'll be living in interesting times! Think of the possibilities: instead of just removing cockpits in Arma 3, we could also make Limnos 33% bigger in exchange!

We could probably double limno's if we went back to PS1 era graphics, or just above, and tripple if we go way back to when 3D was first introduced, it may look ugly by comparison but you get far less performance eating, not to mention tons more code room for features and visually it would be simple, and far quicker to create.

cock-pitless ?? how far will this go ? Plane/Choppers/Cars/Armour ? On one hand I see where they are coming from... a lot of cockpits do not do much (mainly land vehicles).. i.e. Problems such as oil level/temp/engine failures... etc do not show up and mean nothing. But cockpits do add to the immersive factor like grass/leave sway/sound speed modelling/3D water/lighting effects etc... The people who truly appreciate cockpits are the crowd who run it at elite mode...no external views... (my favourite)... and I think this crowd is dwindling in numbers.. :(. I was hoping for 6DOF in cockpits...not their removal.. :(.... Please if removed ....leave the LOD in the model structure for people to add later....

Is the project running that far behind that they are looking at a CM style decisions ? We saw what happened to OFP series with a feature streamlining attitude.. A very hard spiral to pull out of once started....

or maybe I will have to get Dayz and make an Arma mod for it... tic...

Edited by gonk

Is the project running that far behind that they are looking at a CM style decisions ? We saw what happened to OFP series with a feature streamlining attitude.. A very hard spiral to pull out of once started....

what-if-im-not-sure-if-serious-or-trolling-thumb.jpg

You realise that was said tongue-in-cheek. ;) CM will say anything to justify less work with the same reward - just shows their ethic and dedication. This time, allegedly, there isn't enough memory/resources on current generation consoles to model in-car view and the track at the same time without a loss of performance.

Click on the "Cockpit-less future" topic, this leads you to Eurogamer article about CM. And the significance of this is self-explanatory I think.

Click on the "Cockpit-less future" topic, this leads you to Eurogamer article about CM. And the significance of this is self-explanatory I think.

rgr... just a little nervous... :). My bad.

I think it was also meant to joke/parody the complaints about ARMA 3 becoming "too accessible" or "too focused on graphics"... or the classic "first person is too smooth and responsive" :rolleyes: by posting "cockpit-less future"!

The GC alpha is almost certainly a separate build from the community alpha

It is a distinct 'deliverable', with its own requirements/ goals/ limitations, but you can think about the GC build as a stepping-stone towards any public build.

While we're yet to formally announce the planned content for the Community Alpha (and I'd hope to be in a position to address this soonâ„¢), I like to think of the GamesCom content as a good 'advert' for what we'll look to offer, at least that's what the servants guys presenting in Cologne should be saying. :whip:

At the very least, the process of generating any stable version gives us some useful experience, helps to identify kinks in the build pipeline, and gives everyone a boost with the (hopefully positive!) feedback that rolls in!

Best,

RiE

at least that's what the servants guys presenting in Cologne should be saying. :whip:

I was actually hoping that you would be there, you done an outstanding job answering all questions at E3 and you have the personality and voice for it too.

Never fear! We're sending some of our top men to GamesCom, who are raring to go and will, no doubt, do a fantastic job!

And, even if they don't perform, well... there's always the Czech border-crossing where they can be dealt with! :sly:

I hope that gamestar video covering the e3 infantry combat will be released, so we get at least ONE solid presentation of it, cuase it looks like BI really dropped the ball on their own official version of it.

Edit: and the helicopters :p

What have you got there Pure? Please give more details. Is that a new screenshot in background?