Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

MBG Window of opportunity

RELEASED

First release, 30th July, 2011

Window Of Opportunity (WOO) is a new game mode that is basically a mix between warfare and high command. More commonly known as "Real Time Strategy".

Goal of this was to create a new gamemode that appeals to all of those players, that couldn't get around playing Arma2 anymore because of the lack of fellow players to help get a decent sized coop squad up, to those that have constant performance issues when playing and those that think Arma2 can be played in a bigger magnitude, with a bigger scope than a normal coop or warfare offers.

And, without being modest, I believe I've achieved all that.

So, go ahead and have a try, because describing what it is will inevitably lead to TL;DR. (Or

out, first.)

These pictures offer a brief insight into the gameplay:

BafSPMission_Thumb.jpg CommandMap_Thumb.jpg

I44Command_Thumb.jpg I44Squad_Thumb.jpg

Clockwise: BAF forces sally out. Tactical Map view during a battle. MG-Squad on it's way to the frontline. I44 Troops are mounting a GMC truck.

If your favorite island is not among the missions already included, don't despair!

Porting WOO to a new island is simply a Copy-Paste issue. Simple as that.

Adding new units and buildings is fair bit more tricky, but if you read the manual, you should be able to manage adding new units.

Read the included manual to become familiar with all the functions of WOO!

WOO 1.0 Update Changelog:

- Enemy AI now sets up a base and starts to capture points and attack the player

- Added camera control by WASD and Cursor Keys

- Added Night Vision Mode with [ N ]-key

- Smoothened camera zoom [ Mousewheel ]

- Night Vision can be adjusted by using the [ Mousewheel ] while holding down [ B ]-key

- Select resource multiplicators and the enemy AI's side in multiplayer parameter selection

Download MBG_WOO_1.0 Missions @ mondkalb.org (~0.15MB)

Download MBG_WOO @ mondkalb.org (~5MB)

(Included addon required, included missions obsolete)

CHANGED DISCLAIMER!

With this release I allow you to alter, modify and re-release any of the three included WOO missions,

under the condition that you attribute proper credits.

What it means:

Go and do what you want with this, but tell them that you are using scripts that were originally mine.

A readme and briefing note should suffice.

Original WIP Announcement:

Now I created a dedicated thread for this project - as promised.

WOO (I love the abbreviation) is an RTS system for controlling units in ArmA2. It is highly versatile in customisation. Changing just one file will allow you to control units of other mods. So turning this into an WW2 or Star-wars RTS shouldn't be that hard. I'll probably release this together with a detailed manual on how to play it and modify it.

It can also be used without the resource/building mechanics as a pure command-engine.

And the best of all: I'm aiming at this to be MP-Compatible, which will turn this hopefully into some attractive mission concept for clans/groups of fewer players.

Coop and against each other will also not be problematic.

Enough talk, more cake:

MSQMp9ewUrY

And here's already some updates I promised:

Hitting spacebar will now center the camera on the player's side HQ.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/577/newmsg.jpg/

Important events are now displayed on the left hand screen edge. Color helps identifying the importance level.

Currently I am working on the tactical overview map. It can be brought up by hitting the M key once.

Edited by Mondkalb
Release!

Wow Mondkalb I'm only halfway through this video but I am absolutely impressed and astonished, fantastic work. Seems you've already come quite a way into the project. Best of luck, this is now top of my "waiting for" list!

Window of opportuntiy sounds like a great name, we've seen people try the rts thing in the past but none of them really came to fruition or went this far. I know many modders would love to use this for their mods and who knows, it could spawn an entire new genre of addon making for Arma2.

Is the commander in a set structure to command and do you think it may be possible to command from above then go down to ground zero so to speak?

Is the commander in a set structure to command and do you think it may be possible to command from above then go down to ground zero so to speak?

Everything is possible. It's more about the gameplay and scripts whether to allow the player to interfere with an AI-only battle. Death of the commander might break some scripts as well, but currently everything is laid out for multiple commanders and JIP on each side, so it shouldn't turn into a problem.

Anyways:

I'm currently looking for testers.

If you now plan on screwing me over by getting my mission/system without providing me with feedback. Go watch Gilmore Girls!

I need serious testers. If you have previously tested something and can get a recommendation from that developer that you don't screw them, PM me.

If you don't have any scripting knowledge or any clue of how this script engine works, even better. It will make it easier for you to innocently think of things I wouldn't even dare considering testing.

I used to test and help with idea's on Farm Wars. I do not if that is the sort of tester you looking for but i would love to help you by testing it for you.

Oops just re-read i ment to PM you.

Edited by Bazooka301

Update!

This time I've done a lot regarding user-friendliness, usability, easier unit management and implemented an easier method to modify the mission.

7ZoX1VCv6R4

Messages will now inform you about building progress, unit losses and other important events. Different background colors help prioritize events.

Fog of War will prevent you from spying on areas you have no access to.

Pressing [spacebar] will center the camera on your side's HQ.

Though I will change that. If you have a unit selected, it will focus on the selected unit, if no unit is selected, it will focus on the HQ.

Pressing [M] brings up a big map that lets you order move-waypoints and change the camera's position.

Pressing [TAB] will bring up a list of all your current squads. Currently clicking the squad's icon will jump your screen to the selected unit.

I will change that: Clicking on an Icon will only select that squad. Centering the camera on that unit can be done by pressing [spacebar].

Edited by Mondkalb

Mondkalb - this is really shaping up to being something AMAZING !

Good work mate !

Seeing your movement icon made me think about a youtube video where an author showed (unreleased and disappeared work) how to stack soldiers along walls etc. I wonder if that is something you could do with in WOO change these formations based on solid objects they come up against?

brilliant work mate, i mean it! hats off

If you are still looking for testers, I would like to offer my services! I find that I have a lot of free time lately, and think that your system is amazing. :)

Abs

If there is one thing I like more than genius - it's genius with a sense of humour!

Gobsmacking!

Best of luck with this - It's gonna make a whole new game!

I just watched the update video. It's awesome !!

I've been dreaming for something like this.

Any ETA so far ?

Seeing your movement icon made me think about a youtube video where an author showed (unreleased and disappeared work) how to stack soldiers along walls etc. I wonder if that is something you could do with in WOO change these formations based on solid objects they come up against?

This is a fantastic idea, if you're cursor passes a 'wall' classed object then it could spread the sqauds units along it...

Jaw-droppingly awesome work Mondkalb. :butbut:

A reliable ETA is hard to say at the current state of the project.

The first MP tests went fairly good. Producion and commanding of units worked flawless. The only problems I'm facing is interface related. I.e removal of the selection icons in MP, broadcasting the messages to all players of a certain side.

But those are fairly simple tasks compared to the things I got working already.

:yay:

Also I'm trying to make the whole system more versatile:

I'm aiming for something like a command engine, where the players have a predefined contingent of units and are tasked to complete missions with minimal losses.

Once finished, this can be used for SP & MP RTS in both Skirmish and Coop missions.

So please don't be angry if I'm withholding the release a bit due to the missions that need to be made.

And BIS havent employed you yet ?

I'm aiming for something like a command engine, where the players have a predefined contingent of units and are tasked to complete missions with minimal losses.

Once finished, this can be used for SP & MP RTS in both Skirmish and Coop missions.

Nice, looking forward to this, a nod to SP is a good one :)

I know I asked in the general thread, I wondered if there was any update on being able to to drop into a unit as a leader or have your own "commander team" to dive in FPS style at any time? Sorry to ask again, but asked seeing as this has a dedicated thread.

Also, will this be set up in a way that I can say set up my teams so the system picks them up (friendly), and set up some random enemies (like urban patrol script) and a general mission that you make as you do like normal and play first person, and then dump this system into it and play it like RTS? Will it work like that? IE .. take a SP first person style mission to clear an island of random based patrols, and set my friendly teams and then go hunt them RTS style?

Also, setting up you friendly teams, does it spawn them from base as you wish so you can in theory start with nothing and then spawn?

have you though about implementing something like "Creationism" addon to build defences and things such as that?

Edited by mrcash2009

Got some questions that came to my mind :

Did you manage somehow to integrate plane or air assets such as choppers ?

Will there be arty and mortar support ?

Can the height of view be modified by mouse wheeling as in most RTS ?

Awesome!!

Keep up the good work!!

If u want some help send me a pm ;)

Iam suprised that even this is possible to programm in ArmA. Imagination is almost the only border it seems. Really impressive Mondkalb.

And BIS havent employed you yet ?

If only... :rolleyes:

But BIS only hires true geniuses and unique people/ideas.

I wondered if there was any update on being able to to drop into a unit as a leader or have your own "commander team" to dive in FPS style at any time? Sorry to ask again, but asked seeing as this has a dedicated thread.

That is definitely planned. Though low priority. First of all the gameplay needs to work fully in MP and SP. Then comes the part where I see for new features and balancing.

Also, will this be set up in a way that I can say set up my teams so the system picks them up (friendly), and set up some random enemies (like urban patrol script) and a general mission that you make as you do like normal and play first person, and then dump this system into it and play it like RTS?

Plug and play RTS-ify any mission... It could work. Though currently all friendly units need a setvariable command to work flawlessly with the status info. i.e how many units there were, what type, all that kind of squad related information.

have you though about implementing something like "Creationism" addon to build defences and things such as that?

Yes, I did. Though not in a form like Creationism. Most likely having engineers set up mines, tank barriers and bunkers.

But mixing this with Creationism is always possible. Just link/convert Creationism's money to WOO's resources. It should work. So if you fancy that, just do it. :)

Did you manage somehow to integrate plane or air assets such as choppers ?

Currently aircraft and helicopters are a bit iffy to control, select and command. Mostly though the select part. But with the usage of the TAB menu you'd be able to select them. Not sure though about ordering units in or out.

Will there be arty and mortar support ?

Arty and mortar? Might be destroying the entire gameplay.

"Oh, here's their base. Arty select, aim and fire. End of game."

But there is going to be some scripted support that can be ordered in exchange for resources, command points or cute puppies. Not sure yet.

Can the height of view be modified by mouse wheeling as in most RTS ?

Yes.

Now, back to fixing things.

BTW OP, you should really take a look at World in Conflict. It seems that its the closest to Arma in terms of realism. The fire support is done really well. And so are the units. And also, maybe give a option to have 'special' moves? Much like in world in conflict, how you use use smoke nades and fire special weapons for some vehicles. So, what do you think?

Or instead of the traditional RTS, why not try the world in conflict style RTS? Or maybe have a big base to produce units, and several small FOBs around?

I know you likely won't change, but just a suggestion. And you probably think this is dumb.

Edited by ray243

I've made some smaller bugfixes and optimizations. Not long and I can commit the first PVP MP tests.

Besides all those non-instant visible improvements, I've created dedicated Icons for each unit to make identification and quick selection better.

newuiicons.th.jpg

Whoa, Thats Looking Pretty Good Mate!

That Gonna be the New kinda Map thing? So you keep 1/2 In-game and 1/2 Map?