Sign in to follow this  
mondkalb

MBG Window of opportunity

Could the Tab overlay also show on map view so you have option to select icons on map and the overlay for quick ref?

I tried that.

The next WOO update will probably take some time. Currently I just don't have any appetite for working on WOO. Also I have to sort out some other things.

But be assured, WOO will not be abandoned totally. My plans are so far to implement enemy AI and WASD controls. Then releasing it without any restrictions.

Hey, this is an extraordinary mod you have created. From the moment I began playing ARMA I was hoping to see a RTS style game type, so thank you for making that wish come true. I hope to see further updates and features added, or even a combination WOO/Benny's Mod game type, as mentioned previously. However, you have already given the community a great base for which to build upon (with your permission, of course).

A quick question: I am trying to create a mission that starts the players with a prebuilt base (trying to make it aesthetically pleasing) but I've ran into one problem. Every building I put down (besides the HQ, that works perfectly) partially works, meaning I am able to click on it and view the build menu, however the unit building que does not work. It gives a constant value of "scalar" and will not train units, although it does deplete resources as if I purchased a unit. I copied over the preplacedbuildings.sqf from the coop mission that was used for the hospital and called it through the buildings init line, but to no avail. Any assistance you could give me with this would be very much appreciated.

Oh, and again... awesome mod! :rthumb:

I haven't done what your doing, but make sure you dump all scripts to mirror the demo you take it from even if it doesn't seem relevant, I know that lots of script parts are included through each.

Unsure if that helps but just make sure of that first and then re test it. Plus Im not sure if what your doing is then part of modifying the scripts out of just user edit functions and so far that's a no no from Monkalb .. IE a personal edit of the core script.

Thanks for the tip mrcash. I actually tried placing a barracks in the Shapur coop mission to see if the scripts in that mission were altered and got the same outcome - build menu and resources spent but no units trained. The Preplacedbuilding.sqf file appears to add the preplaced building that calls it to a list of "active" buildings for west or east, and the Basic_Config already manages this list.

Again, that is what it *appears* to do. I am not fluent in Arma's scripting language, and I'm sure this is the reason for Mondkalb's hesitation to let end users modify the scripts. I had hoped preplacing the structures would be a simple task, but it now seems a core script edit (or possibly just an addition) might be required. I guess only Mondkalb can give us the answer.

Also, if adding preplaced base buildings does require modification of the core scripts, then I apologize for attempting it as I am aware that Mondkalb does not want us editing his scripts at this time.

Dont worry mate I already did a script edit to test something, I mainly meant asking publicly for author to let you know how was all (when it comes to changing anything with core scripts).

Mainly put it in for requests if you think it will help for feedback (lord knows Ive added plenty here so far). Who knows maybe it is something author can help with, Im not a "scripter" either to be honest, just standing on the shoulders of many giants to try to smash things together in order to get a result :)

I just added a video using the camera of this addon for warfare, in order to play warfare and control it, and also switch to the command camera, as I mentioned something I would love to see as a release just as a "warfare commander cam".

This is clearly personal use and just showing it running for ref:

F296czSB42E

Around 2 mins 14 in you can see switching from cam to map, then HC control and back to commander camera. The other map controls are just to move the camera.

Fog of war is disabled, unit selection and way pointing is disabled, so the camera simply spawns at player and then you can move it to where you like to watch things unfold.

Also one other thing to add if the camera (anyway in any mode) could have the ability to switch to night vision, I only noticed this when I tried a night mission of WOO and realised it wasn't available, I just added a line for cam to switch it on in the video.

Edited by mrcash2009

Every building I put down (besides the HQ, that works perfectly) partially works, meaning I am able to click on it and view the build menu, however the unit building que does not work. It gives a constant value of "scalar" and will not train units, although it does deplete resources as if I purchased a unit.

My fault.

Try using this code as "MBG_WOO_PreplacedBuilding.sqf":

if (!isserver) exitwith {};
sleep 4;

_newBLD = _this select 0;
_side = _this select 1;

_newBLD setvariable ["MBG_WOO_BUILDINGQUEUE",[], true];
_newBLD setvariable ["MBG_WOO_BUILDINGPROGRESS", [10000,1], true];
_newBLD setvariable ["MBG_WOO_BUSY",FALSE, true];

If ((_side == "west")) then {
	MBG_WOO_GLOBAL_TOTAL_BUILDINGS_WEST = MBG_WOO_GLOBAL_TOTAL_BUILDINGS_WEST + [_newBLD];
	publicvariable "MBG_WOO_GLOBAL_TOTAL_BUILDINGS_WEST";

} else {
	MBG_WOO_GLOBAL_TOTAL_BUILDINGS_EAST = MBG_WOO_GLOBAL_TOTAL_BUILDINGS_EAST + [_newBLD];
	publicvariable "MBG_WOO_GLOBAL_TOTAL_BUILDINGS_EAST";
};

Edit:

Enemy AI is working!

After deciding procrastination wasn't worth it, I sat down and tackled the remaining FSM files. With a good result.

Though it is not the smartest AI, it is able to make some decent decisions before then inevitably entering a focused final state of "Randomly mashing the buttons until something happens" when facing the shear selection of available units to produce. In my opinion the best kind of AI: Artificial Idiocy - Never fails to achieve something.

All that is left to do is for me to actually play against the AI and see whether it is worth being let loose. Oh, and adding the WASD movements and some smaller other improvements.

Edited by Mondkalb

That did it! :hyper:

I'm glad to see it was a simple fix, so thank you Mondkalb.

Also, it's great to see that you are continuing work on the mod and seem to have already made significant progress. I'm looking forward to the next update. :icon_biggrin:

Though it is not the smartest AI, it is able to make some decent decisions before then inevitably entering a focused final state of "Randomly mashing the buttons until something happens" when facing the shear selection of available units to produce. In my opinion the best kind of AI: Artificial Idiocy - Never fails to achieve something.

Well I guess that if they work enough then AI mods can do some more.

Oh, and adding the WASD movements and some smaller other improvements.

Great news :)

OMG mrcash ... now THAT is spectacular ! Getting this into WOO (hint) would be pretty close to COC/CEX that we had for Arma1.

I know that you are tweaking code Mondkalb, but I'm pretty sure that mrcash would elt you nick his ideas :)

Good work guys ! This (with mrcash's loveliness) is the most exciting thing I have seen in QUITE a while!

Kind regards

Kremator

Here we go,

Window of Opportunity 1.0

Download updated Missions

The mbg_woo.pbo remained unchanged.

New Features in V.1.0:

- Enemy AI now sets up a base and starts to capture points and attack the player

- Added camera control by WASD and Cursor Keys

- Added Night Vision Mode with [ N ]-key

- Smoothened camera zoom [ Mousewheel ]

- Night Vision can be adjusted by using the [ Mousewheel ] while holding down [ B ]-key

- Select resource multiplicators and the enemy AI's side in multiplayer parameter selection

CHANGED DISCLAIMER!

With this release I allow you to alter, modify and re-release any of the three included WOO missions,

under the condition that you attribute proper credits.

What it means:

Go and do what you want with this, but tell them that you are using scripts that were originally mine.

A readme and briefing note should suffice.

Edited by Mondkalb

nice testing asap

one question: Is it possible to add (optional) a unit cap to secure good performance on low spec maschines?

big thx

wow the ai commander is realy good but they choose not the nearest flag, it is more random, or?don't kill me if im wrong^^

Edited by TeilX

I was playing this with ACE together with a few buddies, and its pretty unplayable as the AI seems to have a mind of its own when its activated. We didnt try without it, but since theres no other reports on this I guess it works fine without ACE? They seemed to do as we told them, until the silence was broken with the first firefights and they knew there was enemies on the map. Then they just did anything else than what we told them to.

But keep in mind this was with ACE activated, I dont know if thats something you have in plans to work on but know you know it. :)

Must be ACE related because I haven't had that experience.

The only thing I found was that some control circles were missing on Shapur and therefore couldn't be captured.

Really enjoyed a large battle on Utes until I experienced a crash. I am using a large number of addons so will run again and explore the crash. I was hosting locally on LAN.

We didnt try without it, but since theres no other reports on this I guess it works fine without ACE?
Try without it then, that will tell you :) Ive yet to try it out but will have a play in the week.

I played in SP against the AI. The basic layout is working, but the AI isn´t building anything so in SP you are unchallenged.

Host local, dedi or use DAC or Upsmon etc. to play in SP.

Ok I just tested Vanilla 1.59 OA and with mods/beta.

The WASD and arrow function of camera seem to be bugged. When I move the camera is jittering/stutter movements and wobbling rapid as it moves, like its capturing or re checking the keypress every time with a slight pause? Also as I move the top right point bars, the light grey area can flicker in and out in to a shaded bar as camera moves, also as you have more objects spawned the camera as it moves above them does a up/down quick snap tilt effect (with keys only).

Its very buggy and not playable currently with keys movement (makes me a bit sick with the stutter wobble), its not as smooth as mouse which is fine, why would that be?

EDIT, I also notice that when you move cam using mouse it can have sudden slight tilt jolts also, and when you move away from side of screen the cam used to have a real nice smooth transition to a stop, now it has a slight spin tilt to a sudden stop. All a bit "jerky" :)

Edited by mrcash2009

The Utes mission doesn't work in ArmA 2 standalone, even with the OA flagpoles and the market stalls (which I didn't see when I tested it with CO) changed to A2 stuff. I never get the "Init done" message and I never get the "Commander Screen" action. This is a little sad as all my friends have only A2.

Could you mayby have one mission that work with A2 standalone? This mod is so awesome and i've waited for something like this :D

They must need more than arma2 then.

Convince them to get CO !

EDIT: @Mondkalb - I've been wondering about the camera Mondkalb. The COIN (construction camera) would be absolutely perfect for WOO. It uses WASDQZ and leaves the LMB and RMB free! Plus it moves at a good rate ! Just a thought. REALLY enjoying WOO at the moment.

EDIT: 2nd thought. In an ideal world we could just drop the MBG_WOO.pbo into our commandline and it picks up ALL units and maps and we get that fucntionality for every mission :)

Edited by Kremator

It needs OA because of certain specific script commands that were introduced with OA.

COIN camera system would need to be changed to suit my selection system, so I went on and created a system that I had full understanding and control of.