Sign in to follow this  
Dwarden

ARMA 2: Private Military Company (ARMA 2: PMC) DLC

Am I trolling?? Depends on the point of view.
I just think you're beating a dead horse for the soul purpose of a post count and making a comparison between the XM8 and the Aliens pulse rifle. Which is like comparing comparing the NASA space shuttle Enterprise with the Starship Enterprise. The only commonality between the two is that they fly in space.

Also how do you come the conclusion that ArmA is turning into a arcade game? That to me shows you don't know what you're talking about and I stopped taking you seriously.

Last but not least; at least more than one person has told you "if you don't like it, don't buy it." I didn't like the BAF DLC so instead of complaining about it I just didn't buy it. What is so hard about understanding that concept?

It takes some people a little longer to understand...But what can you expect...He's comparing an XM8 to an Alien Pulse Rifle..... FPDR

At the risk of repeating myself: Let's not get stuck too much on the XM-8. They have already been included in ArmA2, so let's get over it.

Instead, lets focus on other DLC content that could help make regular games more interesting.

It would be super sweet, if we could get some more details about other content in the DLC (if there is any). I would be really looking forward to several variants of the KA-60 (will be there be an armed version?), and if there are further weapons that use the new shotgun logic (someone from the dev team mentioned that mechanic being useful to simulate claymores for example!).

Are there any other shotguns implemented besides the AA-12, like for example under barrel shotguns for exsisting weapon systems, like M4 or SCAR? Also, will the Saiga and Remington shotguns from ArmA2 get an update with the new shotgun logic, too?

Those questions are far more interesting to me than debating that XM-8 forever. :j:

All right, lets make things clear and to the point right now. It doesn't really matter what your deathspitting high-velocity metal caster looks like, nor which designation it has. After all its not what it looks like (or what its called) that matters. Its how you use it. Right?

Except it does. The XM8 is what we're getting. No amount of bitching, name calling, or reasonable arguments is going to change that. BUT am I the only one who thinks that with the contemporary PLETHORA of would be M4 replacements there are out there-- Bohemia could have managed to pick something more credible main armament for a private military corp?

Had I argued for plausible realism PMCs would all be armed with M4 or AKM derivatives. I'm not. I thought the FN SCAR was a silly choice for the US Army in the first place, but in the war torn future of the Armaverse... Not impossible. However once you've gone down that path of theme and setting you would expect some sort of consistency.

Would a private military corporation really pick up a failed military product? Or might they go for something like a upgraded M16 platform made by (and sometimes for) the private marked? You know something that your would-be-operators might already be familiar with. Hell in today there are enough piston driven would-be-M4-replacements coming out of American industries to shake a stick at.

Am I the only one who thinks that practically any modern firearm would make for a better choice than the XM8? :j:

-k

edit: But don't take this too seriously. I'm writing this bedridden with a 39+ fever-- its not like I wouldn't vote with my wallet and buy the DLC-- even if the mercenaries (Ooo, loaded word) only means of defence were thrown custard pies and badly performed folkmusic. From what I've seen so far the story/acting/immersion is looking better than any Bohemia title to date. (except the ol'first one) and all is forgiven.

Quoting yourself is pretty weaksauce-- unfortunately I'll do so as a byproduct of the constant admin-driven merging of topics. This really ought to have remained as a seperate gunwan-- err thread.

Neither the Xm8, nor the FN-SCAR (or ak107 for that matter) break the game, but all of them hurt the credibility of the simulator. It is my opinion that Arma2 did a decently good job of providing an authentic backdrop that permitted the ak107 to exist seamlessly-- operation arrowhead less so (for the fn scar)

You guys don't even think that is only a matter of time...or a matter of you asking....that someone will make a replacement pack of some weapon pack to replace the XM8's. It was done with the SCARS in OA...I don't see why it cant be done for ArmA 2 PMC...

If only there were commands like removeWeapon and addWeapon for Arma so that we could change loadouts. If only mods were around that added HK416s. Oh well.

If only there were commands like removeWeapon and addWeapon for Arma so that we could change loadouts. If only mods were around that added HK416s. Oh well.

Why!! :pet5: Why do we have to live in such a world where these things just do not exist! WHY!?

:sulk:

Guys, I'm still under impression, that in Arma you can choose whatever weapon to use you like. I'm thinking some people here are somehow unable to appreciate their freedom of choice. Brilliantly described by Barrty Schwartz (http://www.ted.com/talks/barry_schwartz_on_the_paradox_of_choice.html).

For those of you I humbly suggest to think in the way, that there is only AK47 on one side and M16 on the other. You will be perfectly happy then. ;)

Why did nobody mention the fact that all G.I.s in OA have SCAR 16/17...as far as I know SCAR are the same as XM-8...rather hypothetical, at least for the average Infantryman.

Oh please don't start that up again :nono:

Lol, MW2 didnt have XM8 but did have ACR, weird version of M4 and AK.

A.K.A. another AR-18 clone like the SCAR,HK416/417, and a few other recent guns.

So:

Arma 2 is a game. It always has been, it always will be. If it wasn't a game and would be centered around real world events, then Chernarus would be replaced by Pyongyang.

The AK-107 is among others a weapon that could very likely to replace the AK-74 currently in service. The SCAR HAS been chosen as a replacement for the M4 in the near future. ArmA 2: OA occurs in 2012.

Just so I don't make this silly internet discussion any longer:

-The XM8 is a logical choice even if it is unlikely:

In July 2007, the US Army announced a limited competition between the M4 Carbine, FN SCAR, HK416, and the previously-shelved HK XM8. During the testing, 60,000 rounds apiece were fired from each of the carbines in an "extreme dust environment."

During the test, the SCAR suffered 226 stoppages ranking second to the XM8 with 127 stoppages, but less compared to the M4 with 882 stoppages and the HK 416 with 233.

Er....the SCAR was rejected a week after being accepted. At least the Mk16 model was. The Mk17 model will still be ordered, but I believe at a lower number. In the mean time the M16 and M4 are here to stay.

Er....the SCAR was rejected a week after being accepted. At least the Mk16 model was. The Mk17 model will still be ordered, but I believe at a lower number. In the mean time the M16 and M4 are here to stay.

At least the better model stays :D

I think arguing about a gun in a computer game is kind of lame, though. After all, there´s at least two mods out there now that bring more realistic equipment to Arma 2 (ACE2 and PR:A2). As part of the gamer crowd, I think the XM8 is not a bad choice of a weapon. It looks cool, that alone qualifies it. If you´re not happy with it, don´t use it. Changing equipment in A2 is easy.

The only problem with the XM8 is that it's a gun we already have and it's one that no one I've ever played with has ever used. So paying for it again seems... odd. I doubt I'll make much use of the AA12 either really.

Still, getting PMC supports BIS and gets us more content, so it's all good. :)

The only problem with the XM8 is that it's a gun we already have and it's one that no one I've ever played with has ever used. So paying for it again seems... odd. I doubt I'll make much use of the AA12 either really.

Still, getting PMC supports BIS and gets us more content, so it's all good. :)

X2 That´s my opinion too.

I preordered mine too. Not too keen on PMC, but I really liked EW and I'd buy any good single player campaigns + I did my share to finance further goodies and updates of the game.

I'm really hoping for a new map though for the next DLC.

I preordered mine too. Not too keen on PMC, but I really liked EW and I'd buy any good single player campaigns + I did my share to finance further goodies and updates of the game.

I'm really hoping for a new map though for the next DLC.

There is a new map with this DLC.

Pre-Ordered

Paying for the campaign and the Ka-60..

And to continue the BI love :icon_hug:

Bis have 2 beers on me! yes i preordered and paid for pmc - cost be 10 bucks. I recommend you use that contribution from me for 2 beers after your hard work. cheers!

And many engine improvements alone can be worth most of the money. Seriously, the amount we pay for the game compared to the hours on top of hours that we play it is cheap.

QFT +1

I'm not really into UK forces (no offense UK lads) nor private wars but for roughly the price of one poor quality single malt whiskey shot in the bar I got lots of new high quality "vanilla" content in BAF + PMC and most important most of the money goes into BIS pockets (via Sprocket) so they can continue to fix and improve the best Combined Arms military sim available!

/KC

Edited by KeyCat

x2

Not very intrested in British troops or PMCs either but i had loads of fun with BAF as it was of high qualiy and surely PMC will be on par or even better.

Not very interested in the PMC idea, but new units and missions are worth it anyway. Plus, I gladly support the company that maintains one of the last good military games. I'd preorder too, but I plan to buy it from gamersgate and there's no preorder PMC there.