Looking better than I'd hoped, Icebreakr, very nicely done! :)

Can't wait to see it in person, so to speak.

I love how those mountains actually look rocky instead of just looking like elevated ground, gives them a very real feeling.

This map is going to be amazing.

Just thought I'd drop by and praise this project a little more! :)

I've been privileged to receive yet another beta version of Duala from IceBreakr, and I just have to say it's progressed ENORMOUSLY!

I'm a terrain maker myself (sortof.;)) so I have a tendency to be VERY picky about islands, tearing apart the mechanics, thinking "hmmm... you cheated there... you missed that bit", etc. Frequently with user islands, especially with Betas, it's hard to get past the "viewing the machinery" stage and actually start believing in the terrain as an actual landscape. This is made doubly difficult when the terrain-maker has chosen to represent a completely fictitious landscape.... Nature is hard to imitate!

Duala is starting to mature past that initial "quick - get all the basic components in place!" stage and the "little touches" are starting to become apparent... and it's the little things that push a manufactured terrain over the edge into believability... look at any BIS or FDF island and you'll see what I mean.

With some good beta feedback, and some extended fine-tuning this island has the potential to become a classic terrain!

Anyway - thanks again to IceBreaker for the sneak preview! We've had about 2 feet of snow in 24 hours here in Scotland, so I've been sidetracked mightily - digging out the car, the dog, the house. the neighbours! (and also some rushing around the fields with a camera photographing snow on trees and bushes) :) - However, I'm now officially on holiday (yay!) So I can now devote the evening to porting a basic Domination for Duala - so I'll shut up and get on with it - since I believe the beta release is due VERY soon! :D

B

Edited by Bushlurker

I'm looking forward to a pub release so i can create some missions for it :cool:

I'm looking forward to a pub release so i can create some missions for it :cool:

agreed, this island is beautiful. gotta get some desert bradley action!

Bushlurker: thank you, it means a lot to me. Check PM, I have a new pre-public version for you and rest of beta testers ;)

Check PM, I have a new pre-public version for you and rest of beta testers

*cries*

Uh, well, the longer the wait, the more I´ll enjoy this masterpiece once the public beta is released. :p

*cries*

Uh, well, the longer the wait, the more I´ll enjoy this masterpiece once the public beta is released. :p

Tell me about it... I got to see the 0.8 beta, but not the later ones, and believe me, it's worth the wait from what I saw there...

From what he's added since, it sounds like it's even better. :yay:

Truly one of the classics, I think.

Yes the wait will definitely be worth it so don't rush the man.

As Bushlurker has already said, IceBreakr has really paid attention to detail. The towns are great and will allow for all out street fights and CQB in some of the shanty sections. The map really caters for mission makers and there are plenty of little spots on the map that will really assist with story lines if you are so inclined. After testing this I wish I was 100% with the editor as everywhere I travel new story for a campaign comes into my head.

It truly is a great map.

Keep up the good work IceBreakr.

Merry Christmas to all. :cheers:

Regards,

Grub

Edited by Grub

Merry Christmas to all of you guys. Good news: I've recieved info from Afrenian Government that your tourist visas will be ready in the upcoming week, still in 2009 ;)

Merry Christmas to you and your team IceBreakr, could you advise them to prepare visas for a long stay.

Greetings.

Good news: I've recieved info from Afrenian Government that your tourist visas will be ready in the upcoming week, still in 2009 ;)

Nice ! :yay:

Merry Christmas to all of you guys. Good news: I've recieved info from Afrenian Government that your tourist visas will be ready in the upcoming week, still in 2009 ;)

nice! packing my bags now

:p

I'm looking forward to make missions on your "piece of art" island :)

Wait.. how do we get to Duala? I don't think airplanes are safe.. and boats are slow.. I'm scared :X

Teleportation is the new thing Cole. Everybody is doing it these days!

I am flying myself. AMA offered a deal I couldn't refuse. I may get there a bit later than everybody else but atleast I wont have fingers on my face and eyes on my hands. Not to mention a "certain" body part sticking out of the back of my head.

Teleportation may be faster but it certainly ain't safer. Unless you count the not getting shot down my MIGs.

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Teleportation is the new thing Cole. Everybody is doing it these days!

I am flying myself. AMA offered a deal I couldn't refuse. I may get there a bit later than everybody else but atleast I wont have fingers on my face and eyes on my hands. Not to mention a "certain" body part sticking out of the back of my head.

Teleportation may be faster but it certainly ain't safer. Unless you count the not getting shot down my MIGs.

Pfft. Really. MiG's? They ain't got ANYTHING on us. And our, F35 JSF's Anywhoo, great island.

you do another island, so maybe on this island you can do war-zone ?

something like Kolguyev was, some area of destroyed cities, ruins etc.

it would give "there is real war" atmosphere "D not only peacefully and good conditions

i think this would make sense for the demilitarized zone landscape.

Pfft. Really. MiG's? They ain't got ANYTHING on us. And our, F35 JSF's Anywhoo, great island.

Meant "by migs". Also all flights going into the country are flown by AMA, Aeroflot, or Letoun Velkopopovicky AN-2 Aircraft until suitable replacements can be bought. So MIGs are a real threat. :D

Edited by Darkhorse 1-6

Ill be doing a HALO jump into country once everyone is arriving, because i've already been running covert operations around Duala. I can assure all of you that no problems will occur when you arrive if you have your paperwork in check.

Ouch Darkhorse, I think I could live with eyeballs on my hands but having a certain body part sticking out of the back of my head.. HELL NO!

Black1ron mentioned a nice thing - HALO. That's right, jumping down at night might actually be the best idea. I don't think many of the local soldiers are equipped with nightvision :)

I need infos about afrenian and molatian armies..equipments,vehicles,etc...

also what about duala's girls?eh?are they nice?eh?

AM92: I'll release a map for mission planning purposes soon after the release. Feat. roads, towns, runways etc.