The clutter (for those who don't disable it) seems a little sparse to me. I'd have thought some low (dry) grass to fill-in between the existing tall grasses would improve the look quite a bit.

duala_prebeta02s.jpg

haha, reminds me of the district 9 shacks, all we need are some aliens :yay:

Well...

Firstly thanks loads to IceBreakr for sending me an advance pre-beta copy of this island which I've only just got around to checking out properly...

Its great! - the little shacks, the stratified cliffs, the coastline and waterway, the seacolour tint, the trees (a refreshing change), the ground texture...

Less good... the clutter maybe, lush stuff could be even lusher - dry areas maybe the occasional well placed dry looking bush, as I believe was mentioned, a few more named settlements, nail the airport down to a final location...

One small error - flying over Kishna...

"Cannot load texture ibr\ibr_dtowns\data\dum_mesto2_jih2_nohq.paa"

All the other small niggles are just that - stuff that isn't finalised yet...

Certainly no other major problems encountered - great FPS as you would expect - even on the ground... it's all looking Very promising!

As promised, I've already dragged over the latest version of basic Domination to this island - it all works so far (even the Yoruba music clip :) ) - so as soon as the Airbase positioning, etc is finalised and I sort out a list of targets I'll finish that off - I'll also take a look at Xeno's "Two Teams" version of Domination - see what differences there are internally, coz I think this map might be ideal for a Two Tribes version...

I'll see what Frankie Says... ;)

Excellent job all round IceBreakr!!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

Bushlurker: thanks for the quick report, most stuff you mentioned I already recieved in bug reports and 99% of those were fixed. You got a version with all 12 major towns missing, not to mention bunch of details are being added this week. Hopefully I can pull it off and release it asap as beta.

New stuff:

- island will *maybe* feature a new music by my friend, musician... I hope he's listening to Hans Zimmer Barra Barra a lot :)

- airports are finished, two of them are now dirt, without any asphalt/concrete with only couple of shacks nearby and a fuel station.

- bunch of trash added to streets, its a dirty country now :)

Edited by IceBreakr

Nice vid ! :)

I hope he's listening to Hans Zimmerman Barra Barra a lot

You mean Rachid Taha's "Barra barra" ? ;)

Bushlurker: thanks for the quick report, most stuff you mentioned I already recieved in bug reports and 99% of those were fixed. You got a version with all 12 major towns missing, not to mention bunch of details are being added this week. Hopefully I can pull it off and release it asap as beta.

New stuff:

- island will *maybe* feature a new music by my friend, musician... I hope he's listening to Hans Zimmerman Barra Barra a lot :)

- airports are finished, two of them are now dirt, without any asphalt/concrete with only couple of shacks nearby and a fuel station.

- bunch of trash added to streets, its a dirty country now :)

Excellent news m8 - I needn't have bothered to send you that last PM then :)

Nice to see the AI using the crossing points too - I tried them last night and they worked a treat even in a landrover, so should be good.

I think one thing I do like about your map is that there's lots of room to make mission-specific installations, such as military camps, without it looking cluttered... keep it up. :)

I especially like the news about the dirt runways - I think they'll look especially good if they're the ones I think they are (ie the smuggler strips)... that'll suit them perfectly.

Hi IceBreakr,

just curious if a beta release is still on track for this week or do i have to stick myself in the eye with a sharp instrument?

I guess I'll have to remove that "no pets and people were injured during the production of this island" from readme.txt :o

Gutm@sher: I'm working hard... tommorow is another closed beta test (~16 players) with added towns.

Absolute priorities are:

- increase both main FOBs and add road paths from the main one

- complete all 12 towns

- add several small villages, farms

- add details (mostly trash) to towns

- add marsh on SouthEast area

- add rocks on road curves

- add bulldozers, signs, rubble mounds to end of unfinished roads

- add more border outposts

- fix ground at towns so there is no high grass

- add "vegetation walls" to some villages to block view, only couple of entrances

- add Schnell fuelstations (3 south, 3 north)

- recheck config for proper ground sounds (sand, grass etc.)

What do you think Gutm@sher, can we pull it off in few days time? =)

Luckly object templates are 90% done, but I also make new ones from Africa resource database I've collected, A1 Sahrani photos (mostly Southern part) and by watching/flying over OFP's Tonal. Oh and from Marines TDGs collected over the years ;)

One more question: should we add Molatian Army (infantry & T-55s) to the Island itself or as a stand-alone?

Edited by IceBreakr

This project is just too sweet. It looks like this map will become a must-have, a complete classic that's going to be sitting in everyones arma2 folder. :)

Awesome progress pics IceBreakr, I'm loving how you manage to add so many wanted stuff into a single terrain project and still it doesn't look overdone or stupid.

I'd prefer a standalone version as well, since I was planning on using CDF militia/pilots/officer/crewmen as government troops and NAPA rebels as, well, rebels. All they need are black faces and you're good to go. Add in a bit o' ACE (M60's, FALs and M79's) and you got yourself a wicked little african adventure!

The BIS models are surprisingly versatile. Civilians are another matter altogether tho, haven't really figured out how to solve that one yet.

Maybe just use the blue targets that BIS provided for us, and call it abstract art...

Oh, by the way Mr. Icebreakr, is SBP planning some sort of inaugurational special activity night, like the one you guys had on Ohau(?) back in the day (and where you got soundly pooned, I might add :D )?

Those were the days.

Edited by Hund

Hund: Shabazz is working on Molatian troops, currently they are using good old AK47s, but G3/FN FAL might be a good choice. He also changed the camo-pattern so it suits more to Dualan countryside.

All big towns now feature slums and CQB clearing of them might be damn hard and long process. And other stuff like pre-war resorts are also progressing nicely:

g6106y86yhebhrm3xbhh.jpg

About that special event. I can organize that but I would like to host it on a very capable server, so we get at least around 50-100 players? Anyone willing to set one up please PM me. Pooned = heh, we loved it anyway, to bad AI guards didn't shoot back due to a bug ;) :P

Yeah I saw some pictures of those around.

The reason for using already existing models with a slight config job would primarilly be the size and easy implementation into ACE, which we use now. However if your man gets around to creating some civilians (after all, what african conflict doesn't have at least a bit of genocide), I'd be very interested indeed.

On the topic of a possible african adventures night, I'll talk to the boys.

Another closed beta (v0.9) complete, 17 players testing it for ~4 hours. I'll be adding more content and then release beta for all of ya. I'm extremely satisfied with MP test session. Even big towns have lovely framerates :)

Teaser shots from yesterday's Operation Akimbo can be found here:

http://www.vojak.si/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48389#48389

(pics are too big for this forum)

Edited by IceBreakr

Another closed beta (v0.9) complete, 17 players testing it for ~4 hours. I'll be adding more content and then release beta for all of ya. I'm extremely satisfied with MP test session. Even big towns have lovely framerates :)

Teaser shots from yesterday's Operation Akimbo can be found here:

http://www.vojak.si/forum/viewtopic.php?p=48389#48389

(pics are too big for this forum)

Nice pictures, no doubt this island is gonna be a great success :)

I can testify to the high frame rate on 0.8, it ran like a dream.

I think I upset Ice with ideas and comments though... I'm so eager for this map to make it to "Classic" status.

One question, though, Icebreakr: will it be a standalone in the end or will we need to download Panthera for the final version like we did for the beta?