Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

He claims patches are in the works. I'll believe it when I see it. Reminds me of the dogshit game Soldier of Fortune Payback. The community was in an uproar and one of the developers claimed a patch would be coming. Guess what? Years later and there is no patch. It was just an empty promise to sucker more people into buying the game.

The CM post basically says the game was only made for console users and PC users are lucky to have received a port.

I heartily enjoy those vids you made Luhgnut. Great choices in music

Also I guess the marines are in woodland camo. what do you know, i was wrong :p

"...introduce console fans to the genre."

What genre.

The It-is-a-"sequel"-to-the-original-OFP-so-we-will-call-it-"OFP2"-and-then-change-the-name-to-Operation-Flashpoint:Dragon-Rising-and-275-mile-long-island-with-a lot-of-guns-and-toys-and-it-will-be-none-of-this console port genre.

Well, here's my opinion of it. Being a hardcore Arma 2 fan.

OFP doesn't compare to the scope and depth of Arma 2. It doesn't really even come close.

In OFP the best part of it are the sounds and weapon effects. As a matter of fact, there easily the best I've ever heard or seen in a video game. Really amazing. Plus this game is highly optimized. The frame rate is silky smooth even for low end pc's.

For those not trying to compare this to the Arma series, it is a high quility game that is very good, but it won't last due to the fact people have to host for multiplayer and there will be little or no mods for it.

It is a mix between Arma 2 and COD. Not like BF2 though. Tactics need to be used most of the time to accomplish your goal.

Overall I think it is a very good game.

I actually just got a chance to play the Xbox version with a friend in Multiplayer. OFP Rocks. Come on you can't tell me if you guys actually played it.... Because its great. Just enough complexity for the Xbox crowd. What a great game.

... Just enough complexity for the Xbox crowd. ...

That, my friend, is the unfortunate point - and everything else unsaid that goes along with it. :o

I actually just got a chance to play the Xbox version with a friend in Multiplayer. OFP Rocks. Come on you can't tell me if you guys actually played it.... Because its great. Just enough complexity for the Xbox crowd. What a great game.

That's the problem. We are all pretty much PC whores on here.

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-operation-flashpoint/57631

here it is, the GT video review. I was hoping they would go in depth with it as they did with ArmA 2 (talking about AI, mission editor ect), but unfortunately not.

It also scored lower then average oddly enough. the media has been gushing over the game

Edited by That guy

If anyone with the game is willing to take requests I have one. I am noticing alot of the vehicles in the DR (sorry I refuse to call it OFP) are very dirty and yet when I look at the ingame shots they are far cleaners.

Does this effect come as you traverse terrain or was this another gimmick?

To this day, I don't get how the majority video games industry gets away with so many inexcusably bad end products... Its one thing to have people complaining because they don't like how the game isn't what they expected (i.e. any BIS game launch), its totally different when you have promised features that you don't deliver and then say "Wow, we did a great job, didn't we?" to your customer base.

You have a strange recollection of these forums from this summer. The BIS launch was as people expected - buggy - and people were so angry that the forum was pretty much locked down.

I just hope that Codemasters spend time fixing the problems with DR. The game is pretty polished, and the bugs are minor, but some of the things like key presses not being detected are extremely annoying.

You have a strange recollection of these forums from this summer. The BIS launch was as people expected - buggy - and people were so angry that the forum was pretty much locked down.

I just hope that Codemasters spend time fixing the problems with DR. The game is pretty polished, and the bugs are minor, but some of the things like key presses not being detected are extremely annoying.

What lock down?, if you mean the forum downtime due to too much network access to both forum and patch download then I really dont think this is due to anger, at one point they even ask fan site like armedassault.info to handle the excess traffic, oh and the forum is back up a few days later, and we dont lock/delete nor ban people complain post unless he break forum rules...

I don't remember any forum lock down

There was a downtime...not a lock down

It doesn't, it does not support parallax effects. All the sights in DR are mearly a texture/image in the middle of the screen, not a 3d object

Now that I've tried it, I sort of have to agree. It's no biggie for me however, since the gun always seem to be aligned. Has been for me anyway. Can't say the same in Arma2, especially if you're taking a knee for a minute.

In fact, it appears to me that the scope view defines the bullet path, not the barrel. Meaning that if you can see the target, you can fire on it. Although annoying at times, I find the Arma experience better and more realistic in this respect.

Ehh, huh? Don't see how neither mine or pufus answers can be considered trolling. Calling people "lifeless morons" on the other hand... :j:

Here is my first quick glance at the game. Remember I'm not far into the campaign, and might miss some obvious things about the editor. Time spent, only about 12 hours, mostly in the editor.

- Moon doesn't have a phase cycle or positional change depending on mission time. Always full moon at the same place, causing too much brightness during night missions. Forget the stealth feeling. Arma2 has a nice working cycle (even changes with years), but is still a bit too dark for my personal taste. OFDR was waaaaay to bright.

+ A nice surprice to me was how AI will sometimes throw smoke automatically.

+ Some vehicles have engine based smoke. Couldn't find any vehicle launchers (LVOSS) that worked though.

+ I love the scenery for its microbumps (much denser DEM it appears). A lot of tactical stuff not possible in Arma2. Arma2 scenery still looks more beautiful though.

- The colors pretty much suck. Some really odd filtering going on here that we wouldn't expect.

- An AI sniper team would engage a tank platoon. In Arma2 they won't engage, but they don't run away/hide either.

+ Pretty good IR system, works against smoke. I guess OA will have better for new content, but I suspect original content will appear approximately the same.

- Probably lack of knowlegde, but I couldn't find mortar/artillery flare or smoke support within the editor.

- Instant CAS, within seconds.

- Almost no artillery flight time. Although in Arma2 its too long due to only high angle missions.

+ Awesome sounds. Hardware and voices were way more than I hoped for. Firearms even sound different inside buildings.

+ CQB against AI was way better than in Arma. My AI would follow me inside and take defensive positions, but enemy would easily overrun us. Not sure if this was behavioural or scripted, but it worked very well.

+ Mortars had some nice incoming sounds to them.

- Artillery missed these sounds.

+ The editor was pretty much amazing, at least for a first release. Still many things missing (from what I'm used to), but way ahead of the Arma editor which hasn't changed much.

- Editor being a standalone product. Sucks having to restart the game each time although it happens automatically.

- Physics. Or, lack thereof. I expected physics to excel in this engine. Its about as bad as Arma2 overall.

- The tethering limitation might probably be the ultimate downfall of this game. Meaning: You can't move freely as we're used to.

+ Editor could use polygonal triggers, although you couldn't have concave angles on it. Something for BIS to give us, but please don't restrict to convex shapes only.

- NVGs would fail badly in some buildings, where you'd expect it be to able to pick up stray/indirect lights.

- NVGs have a fixed gain (which you'll learn to hate), as opposed to Arma2s autogain (which you also hate :D). Arma1/ACE gave us adjustable gain, or autogain - the best ever.

- No freelook. In vehicles this is a pain in the butt, but also I would like it while infantry.

± No 3rd person while infantry. For multiplayer, this is a good thing. But I actually missed it while editing :)

- Annoying game menu system. I just can't get to grips with those console menues. Press enter? Wtf?

- I was looking forward to try the radial command. Sadly it wasn't designed nowhere near what I wanted (probably not possible for consoles). As much as I hate the OFP/Arma number system, this one is even worse to control. Especially in the heat of the battle.

+ IR scopes, where NVGs are turned off automatically.

+ IR laser attachment, visually very very good, although I don't have a clue what is realistic. I wonder if OA will be as good in this respect.

± Some cool equipment, like IR grenades, claymores, antipersonell mines etc. Although missing some important ones like M203 smoke and flares. Grenadiers got two explosive shells though.

± Throw and roll modes for grenades. Threw right through a window some distance away on first try, although no aiming aid was there. In Arma2, I still can't hit the frigging building - from the inside.

+ The little I've played on the campaign (I'm stuck) has been good, and the story not that far off. Fighting has been quite tense and hectic, and the firefights are a LOT closer than I typically would get in Arma.

- Problem with the campaign is that it is too hectic. The time limits are insane, leaving nothing but rambo sprinting towards the final objective because you don't have time to fight at the suggested waypoints.

+ Nice looking props, even better looking than Arma2 I'd say. Stuff like generators, tents, camo nets etc. I don't complain on Arma2 as visually it does the job, except maybe the texture flickering.

+ Nice editor way of handling multiple floors in buildings. Currently limited to three floors though.

Thats's the stuff I remember at the moment :)

Edited by CarlGustaffa

Proof or gtfo.

Edited by echo1

@papoose244: Oh, sorry then. My mistake.

The forum got so much traffic that even while it was up, it was nearly impossible to use. So they relocated to a different server machine and/or more bandwidth to handle the load, iirc. Lockdown due to complaints? That's just false. Should have been locked down since OFP days then.....

Why are you always spreading lies and misjudgments about ARMA/BIS?

I'll use the ignore poster filter, for the first time in this forum, on you.

Kids... pffffffffffff

Edited by Von_Paulus

I think i recall wave of bannings and locked threads, but that's nothing unusual when hordes of n00bz and ex-fanboiz-current-whinerz with broken dreams storms gaming forums, when something gets released.