Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

I've been playing the PC version and I'm getting shot right and left... I'm not playing on the easy setting, but not hardcore or whatever it's called in this game either. I'm only at mission 3 but so far it runs like a dream for me and I have yet to see anything that makes me dislike the game other than no lean and drab PP. I have to turn ARMA and ARMAII down so much to play that OFPDR looks much better by comparison. I'm enjoying it enough to make a post anyway. It's not better by any means but at least it's something new and I can run it well with 0 work and I don't do MP so this game isn't horrible for me atm.

There are four settings in the AI:

GREEN = a Mannequin. Simple Target Practice. Static Model Basically.

NORMAL= A Mannequin that will sense you and shoot erratically.

Veteran = Acquires a target faster and shoots faster but not any more accurate.

ELITE = Acquires a target fastest, and shoots about the same as Veteran. Accuracy is still horrid.

It appears in the game, that they sucker you into the battles by starting out with Normal AI, but heavily scripted. You trip a trigger, and they just sorta pop out. They really aren't meant to hit you, just give you a little thrill. As you progress, they turn up the AI a tad. Until like the final stuff, then they spawn in the Elites. The Elites do seem to acquire their targets faster but the bullet spread is all over.

I think what you're experiencing getting shot alot, is that you can script getting shot. You trip something in the mission and you really didn't get shot, it just tags you as hit, and you start bleeding out. They also fire so wild, that their bullet spread overlaps each other. If you give 30 blindfolded school kids machine guns in a parking lot, sooner or later, they are bound to hit you. You're getting sprayed by so many different directions.

That's why on a one on one mission, they can't hit you. They are relying on a massive amount of lead flying all over to hit you. It's shoddy predication programming at it's finest.

Yeah, I just tried doing what Luhgnut posted but set them to Elite instead. Exactly the same outcome is possible. Here's a sig that I made of it:

DR_Sig4.jpg

I came right out of office and checked the last few entries, I hope the following hasnt been posted before:

apparently a buyer of OFP DR is sueing Codemasters for misleading and false advertisement for the game Operation Flashpoint: :

Article in German: http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/action/taktik-shooter/1959622/operation_flashpoint_2.html

Corresponding thread in the Codemasters Forum: http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388092

Justification by the user:

http://community.codemasters.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388092&page=4

Heh, yeah, I saw that... it'll never stand up in court though.

Although, the ... forgot the name, one of the fair trading boards, has put a warning out to use caution when trading with Codemasters due to false advertising and such.

lol thats hilarious. I hope it actually does hold up in court that way we wont ever have to see a horrible game like OFP 2 ever again.

He rips on free roaming, I've noticed it being equal with ArmA 2... I'd rather have worse graphics and a game that is consistently playable than not. I would RATHER have an ArmA2 that isn't so full of bugs it makes Clear Sky's initial release look clean... I'm glad I bought it. It's not what I hoped for, but I'm still happy to play it. I will NOT buy OA until the original game is fixed to a decent level. Come on Bis... please make it worth the money? So much potential only to be brought down by so much stupid crap. As for CM from a business perspective, meh, I haven't really looked too deeply into that...

Edited by GRS

He rips on free roaming, I've noticed it being equal with ArmA 2... I'd rather have worse graphics and a game that is consistently playable than not. I would RATHER have an ArmA2 that isn't so full of bugs it makes Clear Sky's initial release look clean... I'm glad I bought it. It's not what I hoped for, but I'm still happy to play it. I will NOT buy OA until the original game is fixed to a decent level. Come on Bis... please make it worth the money? So much potential only to be brought down by so much stupid crap. As for CM from a business perspective, meh, I haven't really looked too deeply into that...

Well, that's fair enough. But sad. But fair.

He rips on free roaming, I've noticed it being equal with ArmA 2...

It is confirmed to not be free roaming, be it in SP or MP. There are invisible walls in SP, and a 2km^2 limit in MP. The missions included with the game are also broken if you don't follow the exact waypoints that are set out, kinda defeating the purpose of free roaming.

I will NOT buy OA until the original game is fixed to a decent level. Come on Bis... please make it worth the money?

Yet you bought DR, found out it's not what you were hoping for, and still liked it. You hoped that ArmA II wasn't buggy, I presume? And it too turned out to not be what you were hoping for?

I will NOT buy OA until the original game is fixed to a decent level. Come on Bis... please make it worth the money?

As stated many times, BIS will be working on patches as always for both games. Neither will be delayed because of the other. Plus, OA will include fixes and improvements that you might not get in ArmA II, be it in the form of functioning FLIR, random town generation scripts, or working IR lights.

And in my personal opinion, ArmA II is definitely worth the money. If not for the modding or seemingly endless possibilities, then it's simply more worth the money than DR has turned out to be.

Edited by Zipper5

I'm still yet to encounter this seeminlgly endless list of uber bugs in ArmA 2. People always mention "the bugs" but what bugs? Sure it's not perfect, but most issues are minor niggles or related to people not knowing what they're doing, or because their PC sucks, like mine.

I came right out of office and checked the last few entries, I hope the following hasnt been posted before:

apparently a buyer of OFP DR is sueing Codemasters for misleading and false advertisement for the game Operation Flashpoint: :

Article in German: http://www.gamestar.de/news/pc/action/taktik-shooter/1959622/operation_flashpoint_2.html

t=388092&page=4[/url]

Here's the translated text:

Operation Flashpoint 2 Fan sues Codemasters Operation Flashpoint 2 As has been the opinion of a purchaser of Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising, the game under a false pretense of facts developed by Codemasters advertised, he has now sued the studio of the Australian Office of Consumer Protection. That said the disappointed players, at least in an article in the official Codemasters forum. Copies of the application should also be received by the Australian media.

Upon request other forum members said the user with the name "NOT HAPPY!" The alleged reasons for his action. So the developers Codemasters have repeatedly said in interviews and trailer videos of a freely explorable world of islands with a raging war, in his opinion, but the player would always see only a small portion of the battlefield. That would be in direct contradiction to the statements of the developers that it is in Operation Flashpoint 2 for "no classic tube-shooter." Moreover, requiring NOT HAPPY! in a more more content than its predecessor. Thus in Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis for another 30 missions with the infantry, air and ground vehicles, Dragon Rising only eleven regular and six bonus missions with very limited vehicle fleet can be selected.

Codemasters, the accusations seem to go too far, the Community Manager has the forum thread "with the remark, our forum is not the right place for your campaign," can now close.

And in my personal opinion, ArmA II is definitely worth the money. If not for the modding or seemingly endless possibilities, then it's simply more worth the money than DR has turned out to be.

I fully agree, but i can easily understand that others, with the bugs i happily don't suffer from - wherever they come from - , won't.

IMHO, this fairy tale about sueing Codemasters is ridiculous.

Edited by ProfTournesol
wherever not whatever. Grrr

I'm still yet to encounter this seeminlgly endless list of uber bugs in ArmA 2. People always mention "the bugs" but what bugs? Sure it's not perfect, but most issues are minor niggles or related to people not knowing what they're doing, or because their PC sucks, like mine.

Exactly! The only bugs ive seen are occasional textures not loading quickly enough, flickering buildings at a distance, Occasional AI ignoring my commands or other small AI bugs,& the infamous AI driving skills. None of them are game breaking & they dont happen every time I play it. Any other issues ive had are more to do with my 2 year old PC starting to show its age than anything else!

Over the past couple of days, I've been working with it's editor, just really to see what good there is in there. The parts I do like also limit it. All the soldiers are preloaded with a standard load-out. All you can do is increase the amount of ammo.

Placing objects and entities. The hard cap at like 64 is horribly stupid. You take a couple of squads of guys, add a few vehicles, put some interesting stuff in a town, and you have maxed it out. So you are forced into one small little area to fight. Or you have to get fancy and spread things out a bit, and work with the scripting and triggers. Once you finish an area, you have to then use that as a trigger to spawn the next battle area. But if you bypass the first area and go to the second? There's nothing there. Everything is done with triggers and spawning scripts. Nothing more. You can't just roam all over. because there is nothing there. So it's a hallway shooter with nothing more than flat terrain. You are confined to a virtual hallway.

Once you get into the editor, you can only set up a battlefield maybe 1/10 the size of Arma2 because of the serious limitations. And the AI! My god are they stupid. So you mow them down, and have to spawn in more for waves and waves of cannon fodder.

I'm done with it. I've seen everything there is to see. I am so seriously amazed that Codemasters could so blatantly market this as a followup to OFP. It's like making Doom a follow-up to Quake 4.

What's also funny, the posts in my videos from people defending it. First they accused me of dumbing down the AI. Then they accused of me of not setting it smarter than default. They insisted that I had to set it on expert. Then they accused me of setting up a situation that the AI can't handle. (I gave them a rubber boat to shoot at with SMAWS.) go figure, which they then blew themselves up and couldn't even hit the water. Then they accused me of not setting triggers up so the AI could sense that I was close, and to react differently. One excuse after another. Then after they ran out of excuses and accusations. The final one....

You're just a BIS Fanboy.

that made my day.

I would rather be a BIS Fanboy than a CM Fanboy any day.

---------- Post added at 03:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:26 PM ----------

OpF:DR TOP 10 ON XFIRE!!! - Codemasters Forum

What's with everyone making claims that DR is better because of Xfire stats compared to ArmA II's? I guess the more people that play it, the better the game is.

Also, his typing skills made me chuckle a little. :D

Now, considering they didn't have any CD Key. How many of those Xfire users really bought it? Also considering that, their long term sales projections are already doomed.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

no point in feeding the troll[:] space

I'm surprised he's still here, with such gems as

your such a sad pathetic loser Squigibo

(especially good as he's spammed this quote across all of lugnuts videos - so spamming youtube is less of a sad and pathetic hobby?)

Just letting people know about the misrepresentation here by ARMA fanbois.

Btw there some great examples of game glitches in the movies you've uploaded Colecz, which actually do represent the game they're taken from, unlike Squigibo crap.

Seriously, cant the troll be banned so we can all get on with our lives?

On Topic: Day 6 since installing dragon rising and I still cant bring myself to play it...

I also find it funny that people keep shouting about the xfire stats. Well, thats great, but about 80% of those players probably didnt buy the game (it would be really interesting to see some sales figures) and on the other end of the scale, about 80% of arma players arent interested in xfire.

As I said before, it will be really interesting to see the xfire stats for dragon rising this time next month when modern warfare 2 is out, and then again 1 year after release. I highly doubt dr will be getting the same play-time arma is currently...

I'm on mission 3 of the campaign, and am starting to get into it now. Enjoying the atmosphere, and having some good firefights.

I was awaiting to see what OPF: Dragon Rising would bring to the world of "Military Simulation" Now that I have played Dragon Rising, my impression is that it should not be compared to ARMA II. It is not in the same class. Dragon Rising is an FPS, period. I approached the missions with a Rambo style of play and found the game merely another shooter. It's fun enough in its own right, but now that I know what I know, I wouldn't of purchased it. I have always been impressed with Bohemia's product irrespective of the bugs. The shear scope pf ARMA II has not been matched to date. Dragon Rising design is poor and cannot fit in the class of a "Military Simulation" due to the fact that it is clearly a console game. All that is required to play this game is button mashing. ARMA II very easily trumps Dragon Rising and that is because you cannot consider them in the same class. ARMA II is still on it's own in this regard. My two cents :)

Addendum: The vehicle physics in Dragon Rising makes me laugh, what a joke. Vehicles can actually do ski jumps off of hills and they bounce around unrealistically. It's obvious the game was brought to the lowest technical limitations, the console denominator. Such a shame.

Edited by Stryker_1

DR just, well, sucks donkey balls in lack of better term..

I played the Arma2 campaign just today for comparison and the mere fact that you wait somewhere for a transport you yourself call to a location specified by yourself blew the whole DR campaign away..

I'm deeply ashamed that I actually spent money on DR.. :couch:

Heh, yeah, I saw that... it'll never stand up in court though.

Although, the ... forgot the name, one of the fair trading boards, has put a warning out to use caution when trading with Codemasters due to false advertising and such.

The Better Business Bureau gave Codemasters a "D".

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/Codemasters-Software-Inc-100083082

Thats pretty bad as that is one listing you don't want to have a bad record on. Whenever I've had a problem with a Corporation, I always threaten to report them to the BBB and that usually gets there attention.

It is confirmed to not be free roaming, be it in SP or MP. There are invisible walls in SP, and a 2km^2 limit in MP. The missions included with the game are also broken if you don't follow the exact waypoints that are set out, kinda defeating the purpose of free roaming.

Yet you bought DR, found out it's not what you were hoping for, and still liked it. You hoped that ArmA II wasn't buggy, I presume? And it too turned out to not be what you were hoping for?

As stated many times, BIS will be working on patches as always for both games. Neither will be delayed because of the other. Plus, OA will include fixes and improvements that you might not get in ArmA II, be it in the form of functioning FLIR, random town generation scripts, or working IR lights.

Hmm, I never hit a wall, never felt the need to go that far, that is lame though, not a game breaker for me, but lame nonetheless. So you are telling me I have to pay for an expansion to get fixes that should not be needed to begin with? Wow, that's crappy. Until I can actually buy weapons, perform first aid without sliding around, have medics actually frickin help me, not get invisible pistols that fire dragonuv rounds etc Arma2 will still be an upset. Overall I still rank it higher than DR for its potential but for the time being I'm still not too pleased. So many people have told me that the remaining bugs are no big deal but every time I play I have to quit or go insane.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not a BIS hater, just not a very happy customer either.

I'm surprised he's still here, with such gems as

(especially good as he's spammed this quote across all of lugnuts videos - so spamming youtube is less of a sad and pathetic hobby?)

Seriously, cant the troll be banned so we can all get on with our lives?

On Topic: Day 6 since installing dragon rising and I still cant bring myself to play it...

I also find it funny that people keep shouting about the xfire stats. Well, thats great, but about 80% of those players probably didnt buy the game (it would be really interesting to see some sales figures) and on the other end of the scale, about 80% of arma players arent interested in xfire.

As I said before, it will be really interesting to see the xfire stats for dragon rising this time next month when modern warfare 2 is out, and then again 1 year after release. I highly doubt dr will be getting the same play-time arma is currently...

I really don't care what these guys think. I don't go trolling all over their boards which would be such easy targets. Hell, over there, they are trying to get a lynch mob together and march on CM's offices.

I video what their precious pile is capable of, without any effects, alterations, tweaks, scripting or anything. Sometimes I set the video's up and the AI do a fairly decent job of "pretending" to think. They go through the motions. nicely.

For giggles, I set up twenty guys in one shot and gave them all standard issue M-16 (I had no choice for riflemen), and just let them shoot at me. Twenty of them. I'm standing in an open field and they just shoot and shoot and shoot. I don't even move. And that's on Veteran AI.

At that point, I was thinking (30 seconds or so goes by and they haven't even grazed me.) "This is so stupid, I'm standing here, not even trying to even return fire and they can't hit anything. Just a nice display of fireworks and tracers flying all over." It just sorta dawned on me how much of my time I've wasted just using their own editor. I mean it's like playing with Garry's Mod, for Christs sakes.

I've been ill the last couple of days, and just sitting around and messing with that. It's sort of like playing with a scab. You just can't stop being amazed at the horrendous nature of it all. Or like a bad car accident. You just have to watch. Anyway, I'm done with them. Such a waste of time even in the editor.

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

Hmm, I never hit a wall, never felt the need to go that far, that is lame though, not a game breaker for me, but lame nonetheless. So you are telling me I have to pay for an expansion to get fixes that should not be needed to begin with? Wow, that's crappy. Until I can actually buy weapons, perform first aid without sliding around, have medics actually frickin help me, not get invisible pistols that fire dragonuv rounds etc Arma2 will still be an upset. Overall I still rank it higher than DR for its potential but for the time being I'm still not too pleased. So many people have told me that the remaining bugs are no big deal but every time I play I have to quit or go insane.

But don't get me wrong, I'm not a BIS hater, just not a very happy customer either.

Just stay tuned to Arma2 channel. Face it. This is THEIR income (with the exception of the Professional Military Sim - which is a separate division). They would be foolish to not develop it further. On the other hand CM is a one trick pony. They'll just go make another driving game.

Edited by [RIP] Luhgnut

The Better Business Bureau gave Codemasters a "D".

http://www.la.bbb.org/Business-Report/Codemasters-Software-Inc-100083082

Thats pretty bad as that is one listing you don't want to have a bad record on. Whenever I've had a problem with a Corporation, I always threaten to report them to the BBB and that usually gets there attention.

BBB doesn't have much weight against Codemasters, since, as far as I know, Codemasters is public but not listed on any stock markets, as are many other games publishers. The minute they hit the stock market they have to start producing good and profitable products, otherwise investors will bury them. Its what ultimately killed Interplay. BBB has always been something corporations only fear if they are on the market.

BBB doesn't have much weight against Codemasters, since, as far as I know, Codemasters is public but not listed on any stock markets, as are many other games publishers. The minute they hit the stock market they have to start producing good and profitable products, otherwise investors will bury them. Its what ultimately killed Interplay. BBB has always been something corporations only fear if they are on the market.

The ONLY time the BBB did anything for me was when Ubisoft came out with Shadowbane (shudder). I complained to the BBB of SanFrancisco (where ubi is registered corporation) and they just logged the letters back and forth between me and UbiSoft. I was a pain in UbiSoft's ass. Finally, they had to get it off the books as "Resolved Complaint" at which time UbiSoft gave me 3 free games of my choice. I accepted that, and it was closed. Got FarCry1 Free :)

But that took a year of back and forth letter writing.

But since the BBB are unlikely to be BI fanboys, it proves a little something.

I am up to mission 7 now.

Still thinking it is a bit "meh" although parts of it i quite like.

Also managed to play a reasonable co-op game, but i have stayed well clear of the proper multiplayer modes as they don't really appeal for some reason.