Sign in to follow this  
W0lle

Dragon Rising has been released

can some one post some pics of USMC and PLA soldier standing next to each other?

I want to compare the models. from what i have seen the models are the same.

also some one should do some tests with the FLIR during the day time

You're a fan of Operation Flashpoint & Armed Assault I/II?

This is unbelievable. You describe yourself as an ardent devotee of these games, yet you threw your money on Dragon Rising? What the hell were you thinking?

Is it that difficult to understand that you're a fan of Bohemia, not Codemasters?! Geez, where do you people come from?

Thanks for trolling. What exactly has your reply to do with DR except bashing the ones not praising it?

You're a fan of Operation Flashpoint & Armed Assault I/II?

This is unbelievable. You describe yourself as an of these games, yet you threw your money on Dragon Rising? What the hell were you thinking?

Is it that difficult to understand that you're a fan of Bohemia, not Codemasters?! Geez, where do you people come from?

Since when do you set the fucking "rules"? lol

jesus christ so you're saying if someone who claims to be a fan of Arma can't buy any other non-milsim games? wow.

guess what....I'm a "ardent devotee" of Arma2 and I play GTA4 and Counter Strike. Sorry to disappoint you

As for the game, for me it's nothing special and nothing horrible. If I had a console I'd probably be a little more happy; but I feel kind of jipped on the PC with crappy graphics and "consolfied" gameplay. Also, if you DON'T compare it to Arma2 (which everyone seems to be doing); it's definitely not as bad as most people make it out to be.

I'll probably play once and be done with it. Kind of wish I waited for it in the bargain bin though

Edited by No Use For A Name

Thanks for trolling. What exactly has your reply to do with DR except bashing the ones not praising it?

He's trying to stop people wasting their money on DR.

Impressions...

This is always what I wanted the original OFP to be! Great game!

I'm on mission 7 I think and love it. It's not as... free-ranging as say the original OFP or ArmA. I know in the other two, I'd often on covert missions, steal a tank or BMP or something to make things a bit more fun. You can't do that in OFP2 so far. I haven't found (or really looked) for vehicles sitting idle. You can typically find a jeep or something near, but the way the missions are, they're not quite as useful. Certainly nice to cover ground, but not really useful.

Enemy soldiers blend in very well with the environments. Can be very difficult to spot them. On normal difficulty, they certainly seem to miss the first few shots alot, but will soon home-in on you. One shot you're dead. However, you don't always die with one shot. You can take a few before dying. If you're incapacitated, you can use the Q menu to call your medic over to heal you and get you back into the fight. However, he has to do so before you bleed out.

Arty strikes and air strikes are nice. Work as advertised. Sound is incredible - just wow! Sound is where this game totally and utterly trounces and stomps ArmA and others into the ground. Beautiful sound!!! A real treat for those of you with 5.1-7.1 systems.

Voice comms are another area where this game really trumps ArmA. The voice acting is good and you don't have that omg annoyingly stilted robo-talk when you issue orders.

So far there have been a good mix of missions. Assault, support, assault and defend, infiltration, etc. This does a very good job of making you feel like a part of a bigger battle.

As others have stated, this doesn't have the adrenaline pumping action of COD or others like it, but it's full of tension and gets you on that knife-edge. However, it's still very, very exciting to play.

Teammate AI is decent. Nothing spectacular other than a few path-finding problems on the first mission when I tried to do an aquatic assault (they got stuck and we couldn't progress as they wouldn't get in the water). They will call out enemy positions and handle themselves well enough you don't have to babysit them - but always keep an eye on them.

A slight oddity though... In ArmA and the original OFP, the landscapes really did feel sprawling and it really felt like you could go anywhere to do anything. This certainly has that wide-open look, but doesn't quite feel as expansive as the others. The world is a lot, LOT less lived in as well. You don't have civilians running around doing their thing or driving around in big cities. Those two games definitely get bigger points for giving the feeling of a living, breathing world. On OFP2, it feels like the only people on the island are you and your allies and the enemies you're attacking. I haven't even seen a city or town yet.

After finishing, I gotta say it was a fun ride.

Was over way too soon (campaign timer said 6hrs 5min 42 seconds on Normal difficulty).

I also feel like I may have broken the game. I rarely/never used the Suppress/Assault/Flank, etc commands. I just kept them in a wedge (or Column/Line if needed) and told them if and when to fire.

Unless I missed it somewhere, while in the game you cannot issue orders to a specific teammate. You can on the map, but not when you're in game. Big bummer. Would have been nice when I had a sniper to have him do some long range wet-work. Something I'll explore on another play through.

While not being able to customize your load out was a downer, it didn't hurt too much. Though there were a few times I felt like a TK so I could use the M249 or the marksman weapons on a few missions.

Story was... light and not much there, but it served it's purpose in getting you towards the end of the fight. Big props to the voice actors again!

All in all, I'm glad I got this game - well worth the money so far. Now to go through again - and see what the modding community can come up with.

So, to summarize...

PROS:

-Great graphics

-Amazing Sound

-Good assortment of Weapons

-Awesome environment

-Sprawling map on which to operate

-Good variety of missions

-Difficult, but not unforgiving as ArmA and original OFP could be

-Night-time infiltration mission not nearly as tedious and annoying as ArmA or original OFP, rather fun

-Very polished and complete - never ran into any bugs or CTDs

-Runs very well on High settings on my modest system (x3360 @ 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 4870 512, Vista x64 Ultimate, 1920x1080 4x MSAA)

CONS:

-While the map may be large, battles feel small in scale

-Cannot change loadout pre-mission (can sometimes find crates at beginning to swap up)

-Teammate control via Q menu, while better than the F1-F9 system, is still clunky

-Inability to control single teammates when not on the map screen

-Some minor path-finding issues

-Lack of vehicle usage during SP campaign

-Relatively short

That's what I posted on a few forums. I rather enjoyed OFP:DR. Honestly - if we could combine the two (ArmA and OFP), that would be a great game.

That's what I posted on a few forums. I rather enjoyed OFP:DR. Honestly - if we could combine the two (ArmA and OFP), that would be a great game.

Ughh, No thanks. Keep your console shooter (and the liars at CM's marketing department) far away from A2 and BIS.

kthxbye :D

My "preorder" from Play.com was delivered today (go figure that one out, i get the game after everybody else?!?)

To be honest i am a little disappointed, i have only put about an hour and a half into it, so it may get better (i did not get into arma 2 until i put around 6 hours into the demo!)

I have been unable to get into any multiplayer at all, i have seen some crazy bugs with my team mates trying to drive through a house, and for some reason my gun does not always reload when i want it to.

I wouldn't say he's telling people not to waste their money on DR but telling others what games they have to play.

@That guy

drunits.th.jpg

A quick and dirty copy&paste job cause I can't stay longer than 2 minutes in that weird brownish world. :)

Edited by W0lle
then or than? whatever... :)

Kalisto

anyone ever say to you dont be a dick.

"what is where do you people come from? anyways?

have yo respect for a person with a name, the only person here with the story i posted was me, there is no other "people" Im not specifically bashing codemasters, i mean they were with BIS when OFP was developed, i wasn't all excited for this, nor was i againsted it, i just simply gave my experience of the game, take it or leave it.

Mr.Wolf

thanks, but i pressed every button it did not work. I always change my controls right off the bat for every game i play.

Bascule42

i have to agree with you there, the menu with its pics and music was interesting and kinda of cool, but when u get right down to it, the simplicity and speed, of OFP, Arma, and arma 2 in terms of getting in the game and playing over all surpass this.

if guys like it then great, im not knocking anyone for liking it everyone has their own personal tastes.

I always ask about a new game what does this game have or can do that i cannot do or simulate in OFP or Arma or even Arma 2, in the editor or outside of it, be it addons, mods, scripting ect.,?

OFP, Arma, and Arma 2 are the most versitle, limitless games i have ever played, you can practically do anything in them provided you can figure out how to do it, and whatever it is it can be done.

Ughh, No thanks. Keep your console shooter (and the liars at CM's marketing department) far away from A2 and BIS.

kthxbye :D

My problem with the OFP and ArmA games is they've always felt way too unwieldly. Clunky even. I don't know if that's how they want it to be, but I really liked how OFP: DR felt.

I certainly missed the wide-open aspect of it, but it was still a fun experience.

My problem with the OFP and ArmA games is they've always felt way too unwieldly. Clunky even. I don't know if that's how they want it to be, but I really liked how OFP: DR felt.

I certainly missed the wide-open aspect of it, but it was still a fun experience.

I like how you start with: OFP: DR is the game I wanted OFP to be!

OFP: DR=OFP lite

It was a work in progress. :D I like that OFP: DR is a little more focused. That and the fact that I personally never experienced a bug or glitch (I have the Steam version). No ammo cache problems, no missing event triggers, etc. It was one smooth experience for me and I enjoyed it. :)

can some one post some pics of USMC and PLA soldier standing next to each other?

I want to compare the models. from what i have seen the models are the same.

also some one should do some tests with the FLIR during the day time

Here's the Riflemen. Looks like same model to me.model.jpg

Thanks for that W0lle

I guess there are some differences between the PLA and USMC models. just not very big ones

And even with such a clear and obvious picture I STILL cant tell if the USMC are in woodland or desert :p

edit: luhgnut i dont suppose you can link to a bigger version of that can you?

Edited by That guy

thats because they are doing what danger means to be, "danger"

what would you expect people to react when telling them its "danger" out there? dance?

No, how about "GET THE **** ACROSS THE DAMN STREET" instead of standing next to it looking around for a year only to get lit up.

It was a work in progress. :D I like that OFP: DR is a little more focused. That and the fact that I personally never experienced a bug or glitch (I have the Steam version). No ammo cache problems, no missing event triggers, etc. It was one smooth experience for me and I enjoyed it. :)

Yeah same here, unlike some other games that I am still looking forward to enjoying even more... some day...

Edited by GRS

And even with such a clear and obvious picture I STILL cant tell if the USMC are in woodland or desert :p

As far as I can tell, neither. It looks like a mix of ACU and CADPAT to me. Still, with the weird tint that the game has there is no real telling.

I love how the enemies need 7 shots to the chest to fall on the ground, with 3 more round plugged into their heads to kill them. That's my favorite part.

I also like how a dyslexic man with feet where his hands should be created the helo controls.

I love how turning the steering wheel of a humvee immediately is construed as "DONUT DONUT DONUT DONUT DONUT."

I love how I get a headache every time I aim because of the bloom and blur.

But my FAVORITE part of the game has got to be how Skira island looks. I love how you can't tell where you are at any given time because everything looks the same in the day time because it's all a beige nightmare and that at night it's all baby blue. Nothing says fantastic like two colors making up an entire game!

Well, at least the multiplayer redeems the game. Too bad that's completely broken to the point where nobody in the world can play. Go figure.

This is a disaster!

16 hours. If Id brought it off Amazon at £17.99, that would have been over a pound an hour. Still, there were some good moments in that 16 hours,

Still the menu music was interesting.

A pound an hour is not bad going for entertainment in this day and age IMO

I agree the music was quite good, i am up to the 4th or 5th mission now and while things have gotten a little better, i still feel everything is just a bit "meh"

I was unable to even create an multiplayer account last night, although this morning it let me create one, browsing the multiplayer games list, i see about 15 games, all with 1 person inside, trying to join any of them gives me an error, so i will assume the multiplayer is broken.

Also changing any of the graphics options gives me a CTD every time, if they wanted the game to restart after a GFX change, they should have just asked nicley! Apart from one blue screen crash i had when entering a building, it has been rock steady since, the blue screen crash may have been down to something else.

Yesterday I noticed an interesting line of dialogue in the Arma2 campaign:

Shaftoe: "I could have given the mission to Sabre, but I knew that would piss you guys off."

(or something like that)

Coincidence, or a jibe at Sabre team in DR? :D

Razor teams recon company all have bladed edges weapon names. You can see them all in the briefing with cpt shaftoe in the beginning of the game (the large map denoting different targets)

there is razor, saber, dagger and like axe or something.

in the campaign i have only come across the sabers though

they are mentioned and encountered numerous times. (in basic training, they are the insurgents for mout, they are mentioned in the briefing and first mission, (i think) they are the ones who save the razors, and you meet up with them in the beginning of Manhattan i believe.

so chances are its just a coincidence that they are similarly named, but who knows? maybe some one will make a campaign in DR were you play as THE team saber from arma :p

Unless I missed it somewhere, while in the game you cannot issue orders to a specific teammate. You can on the map, but not when you're in game. Big bummer. Would have been nice when I had a sniper to have him do some long range wet-work. Something I'll explore on another play through.

You actually can. Bring up the order menu (Q), then select the member you want to give the order to by pushing 1-3 keyx, then give the order. It will be directed to the selected member(s)

From the beginning i hoped OFP2 would be on par with ARMA, but as time went along and some videos and posts later i knew it wont be anything near ARMA. Now reading the last pages here it really tells me everything i need to know to not get that game. Thanks guys.

So has every OFP/Arma fan here bought a copy of Dragon Rising just to see how bad it really was ?

I can't believe the number of sales they seem to have got this way... I would understand if it was in a bargain bin, but console games are pretty expensive these days...

Man, the Flashpoint name DOES SELL !

Actually i forgot to add something

My FPS in Arma2 seams to hover around 27

My FPS in OF:DR = 120 !?!

I was pleasantly impressed by that to be honest.

The only thing really shine its light is the editor and custom mission, someone acturally come up with a mission, I will try to ask him to post on CM forum(as it doesnt belongs here rgr?)

Actually i forgot to add something

My FPS in Arma2 seams to hover around 27

My FPS in OF:DR = 120 !?!

I was pleasantly impressed by that to be honest.

I wouldnt be amazed by that, after all they got much less to handle

Edited by 4 IN 1