Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

I've never had any problems with the mouse movement... in the demo, the 1.02, 1.03 or the new betas.... wonder why so many people have issues with it?

I'm using a Razer Deathadder mouse.

Because PC's are made of so many different hardwares and setups i would presume. Nothing weird about it. However the fact remains. ;)

EDIT: And i agree that when BIS sorts this out so that when they are happy with it - make it an in game option with slider. That would be the way to do it unless BIS finds some middle way where we dont need to change anything. But if we need it (after reports that will flow in now - we will know) an in game option is needed as there is so many people that doesnt come to this site, and also people that doesnt know or feel secure about messing in a config file.

Edited by Alex72

Problem with beta patch.

Has been there from version 58814 all the way to 58879:

When logged in as admin and trying to changed the mission parameters (such as time of day, or weather, or anything else defined for that matter), it crashes to desktop. This behavior is not there in the 1.03 final patch.

Easy to reproduce.

wait, it doesnt seems that beta patches are intented for server use from the begining

wait, it doesnt seems that beta patches are intented for server use from the begining

The latest one comes with a dedi server exe though. :confused:

Well I just played a little 1h+ mission ans the mousesmoothing at 30 feels right, but still I prefer it at 0, more precise and less "floating". Well more responsive I'd say. Personal taste maybe too. Anyway it's good to have it adaptable for everyone :)

I couldn't run the beta 58879 because of every time I launched arma2.exe from Beta folder I saw a black screen with some kind of progress bar and then the screen filled up with colourful noise and after that

arma2 was terminated. I tried to run it under both WinXP64&W7-64 with the same unsatisfactory result.

The original arma2.exe(1.03) starts well.

my rig: Q9300/ATI4870 Cat 9.8/4gb RAM

... make it an in game option with slider. That would be the way to do it unless BIS finds some middle way where we dont need to change anything.....
The BETA changes/tests are to find the best average default value. Im sure they'll put in a slider in the final patch (positioned at the default value).

I couldn't run the beta 58879 because of every time I launched arma2.exe from Beta folder I saw a black screen with some kind of progress bar and then the screen filled up with colourful noise and after that

arma2 was terminated.

Don't use the *.exe from the beta folder, use the shortcut ("Launch Arma2 Beta Patch") in your Arma 2 root.

The BETA changes/tests are to find the best average default value. Im sure they'll put in a slider in the final patch (positioned at the default value).

Uhmm yes i know that. Also stated in my posts. ;)

I'm wondering if it would be possible for BIS to implement some kind of object draw distance slider. Currently the view distance is different for terrain and most objects (except for the castle and tower), where the objects are only drawn up to about 70% of the actual view distance, leaving terrain bare beyond that.

How about allowing the player to adjust object draw distance with a slider, something like between 50 and 100%? Default would be the current value of course, but players should be able to increase object draw distance if their machines can handle it. :)

Thoughts?

*cough*

Perhaps something to try in the betas? No one interested?

*cough*

Perhaps something to try in the betas? No one interested?

I would definitely be interested!

Please fix mouse acceleration! It feels so different from CS.

Got stuttering swith a value of 25, which is kinda the value mouse smoothing had in 1.03. It stutters because of this "disabled smoothing while moving fast".

My gun turns to "Woody Woodpecker" when turning around.

Would be very great if we could get a "mousesmoothingwhilemovingfast=0/1" command in config like we got for mousesmoothing in general.

greetz Cionara

They're rolling out the builds pretty quickly, nice work BIS. :D

I'm wondering if it would be possible for BIS to implement some kind of object draw distance slider.

Funny this was mentioned, playing a Warfare match against a few mates the other night and it eventually turned into a snipefest. Yet since the draw distance of objects differs to that of terrain, I could actually see the other players through the rocks they were supposedly hiding behind.

They stated it's a very low level code that handles the mouse, so it may not be possible to change this kind of parameter on the fly, and it would need in this case a game restart. Which kind of destroy the purpose of an in game option slider

Don't use the *.exe from the beta folder, use the shortcut ("Launch Arma2 Beta Patch") in your Arma 2 root.
thx for advice I'll try.

They stated it's a very low level code that handles the mouse, so it may not be possible to change this kind of parameter on the fly, and it would need in this case a game restart. Which kind of destroy the purpose of an in game option slider

I hear you, but not really true. Come to think of the in-game option for GUI size wich tells you to restart to have effect. Probable other options as well that i cant remember.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

Why would you say that?

as maddogx pointed out, 58879 even has a arma2_server.exe

I have not seen anywhere in this page or different written:

for SP use only...

Well... this is beta... they are trying out the feature, so of course they won't spend time on a backend system if they don't know if and in what way they are going to incorporate the feature.

Personally I am really, really happy they are focusing on this problem. The mouse lag has made my game close to unplayable. Will try out the new beta patch tonight to see what it does with my problems. The first beta fixed the lag but introduced serious stuttering/skipping... let's hope they'll get it soon.

Good to see that they are following the beta thread closely!

Good work BIS!

EDIT: Seems im getting it to work now. Yet it doesnt seem i can get it back to "mouseSmooth=ON" as before. Is that true or does that have a certain value? Like some top value to turn it completely ON.

EDIT2: Im running value 15 atm and it feels pretty good. I noticed that a high value for hardware etc that i have (that benefitted from mousesmooth=ON) loose movement when moving fast. Movement stops completely. But so far this value i test out seems to work pretty good.

EDIT3: Tested even more and i see there is a difference from before that i dont like. I seem to be restriced much more now when moving quicker. I could do this with mouseSmooth=ON before, but now when i set the value to the same feeling (and even below towards no smooth) i get restriced in my movements. Its like im trying to move faster left and right but i wont reach the destinaton when doing it fast. So when moving slow i reach far. When moving faster i reach much shorter. So i feel restricted. I know it is like this even before, but its much more in this build.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

What you describe is the default behavior in A2 main builds.

You can turn more when going slowly than fast

Never had an issue with mouse lag and I don't see a diff with the beta, BUT, I do have all sorts of texture loading issues now!! Waahhhh!

These beta builds are really nice: this way people get a way better idea of what's actually involved in making this kind of game.

It keeps people on top of the action and hopefully provides good feedback to the devs!

:D

all betas are crap for me-

lower framerate, the screen is blured again when post fx is on, stuttering all the time, mouse feels strange, textures are missing sometimes, ...

i have good framerates with 1.03 and for me arma is playable since ONE WEEK with out any problems! Yeah

Q6700@3600

gf8800gts 320MB

winXP32

1280x1024

VD:3500

all normal

shadows high

AA normal

latest driver

Like to thank BIS for letting us try these out. Last 2 builds seem to be working just fine for me so far. I need to devote more time for a more comprehensive play test though.

I've been playing without mods. Gona try it with some, as soon as I figure out how.

So far I haven't had any mouse problems ....I use a standard mouse for ground, and a stick to fly.