Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

It must because my ingame version has the right number and I didn't add the -mod part.

The number is stored in the exe. Doesn't mean the beta addons are being loaded.

The number is stored in the exe. Doesn't mean the beta addons are being loaded.

Fair enough. I had the mouse smoothing thing before and I never put the -mod in there either.

Yapab we already have a beta patches thread which you can use (this one). Please refrain from starting new threads while there are already exisiting ones.

Sorry.

Do you guys think these patches also might contain other unannounced fixes? Seems to be mainly mouse related now?

Hmm... These patches have their own separate executable which doesn't require a disc to be inserted... Does that mean people with pirated copies can play?

strange. the beta build 58879 was brought down from the beta patch site.

DL works fine here

Yup, I just tried again and it's downloading without a problem.

Aren't you people using some unreliable browser, such as Google Chrome?

I'm wondering if it would be possible for BIS to implement some kind of object draw distance slider. Currently the view distance is different for terrain and most objects (except for the castle and tower), where the objects are only drawn up to about 70% of the actual view distance, leaving terrain bare beyond that.

How about allowing the player to adjust object draw distance with a slider, something like between 50 and 100%? Default would be the current value of course, but players should be able to increase object draw distance if their machines can handle it. :)

Thoughts?

Hm ...879 is without mousesmoothing again... "disabled mousesmoothing for fast movement" why ?

Or do I have to use a higher number then mousesmoothing=1 ?

Please try how mouse feels in 58879 in terms of lag or stuttering.

Mouse handling is very low level change that has impact on every user and we released 58879 in order to simply test this.

Maruk:

Does that affect both smooth ON and OFF?

Too bad im at work... Need an excuse to go home early. :)

EDIT: This is a test ofcourse. But i am sceptical to leave the option of smoothing out. It seemed having it an option helped everyone in both camps. So at a first glance it seems a bit bad to start working more on a problem that was solved. But If the new mouse setting works for everyone - then hat off to BIS. :)

Edited by Alex72

Because we need to find default mouse handling that will be serving well universally.

The meaning of mousesmoothing in user config is now different and default value is mouseSmoothing=30;

If you set something else manually before please set it to mouseSmoothing=30; and retest.

You can also tweak it to your liking manually (but still, it is important that default setting doesn't cause anything bad for anyone). Basically, by decreasing this value your mouse will have less lag even with low speed (with possible stuttering), by increasing it you should have mouse very smooth but lag may become more obvious.

Hm ...879 is without mousesmoothing again... "disabled mousesmoothing for fast movement" why ?

Or do I have to use a higher number then mousesmoothing=1 ?

Mouse movement is better now! It still feels like there is mouse smoothing but it is good.

The meaning of mousesmoothing in user config is now different and default value is mouseSmoothing=30;

Sounds good. But hopefully the new way you did it will fit all.

EDIT: Ahh now the coin dropped lol. So basically you gave us mouse smoothing with values instead of just on/off right? If so - awesome. :)

Alex

Maruk:

Does that affect both smooth ON and OFF?

Too bad im at work... Need an excuse to go home early. :)

EDIT: This is a test ofcourse. But i am sceptical to leave the option of smoothing out. It seemed having it an option helped everyone in both camps. So at a first glance it seems a bit bad to start working more on a problem that was solved. But If the new mouse setting works for everyone - then hat off to BIS. :)

Basically, for smoothing OFF, use mouseSmoothing = 0; (like before)

For smoothing ON, use mouseSmoothing = X; with X between 1 and 200. At 1 you probably won't notice anything, but the option to have it on or off is still there. It's just more flexible now

Could you maybe add a slider for this: "disabled mousesmoothing for fast movement" ?

Because I loved how mouse felt in 834. Now its stuttering a lot =(

with X between 1 and 200.

Hm ok will try 100 and 200 now.

Basically, for smoothing OFF, use mouseSmoothing = 0; (like before)

For smoothing ON, use mouseSmoothing = X; with X between 1 and 200. At 1 you probably won't notice anything, but the option to have it on or off is still there. It's just more flexible now

Yep i realized that as you can read before your post. :)

Great to get it confirmed Whisper!

Alex

Somebody got the smoothing values to have it like it was before beta patch ?

Before Patch it was fast and smooth. Not its either fast and stuttering or slow and smooth.

I found a mouseSmoothing value of 8 to be very satisfactory.

With mouseSmoothing=0 I get the common stuttering problem when turning slowly. Most noticable with ironsights. People who set mouseSmoothing=1 prior to the latest build will now most like experience the stuttering problem, as it is still noticable with such low values.

@ Armored_Sheep

Simply great. Thanx a lot for your effort Bohemia :-))

its just fantastic. even without changing from the default value in this new beta, it feels great.

no stuttering what so ever.

i will try what you told me tonight @ home, but i guess i will leave it just this way ( default beta 1.03.58879 )

again thanx :-)

@ community

What is this about the beta not loading when simply using the launch beta shortcut located in ArmA2 install .dir?

The version number is correct, but the addons are not loaded?

i did notice the difference in mouse control in the previous two betas, so it must work.

simply launching the beta version with the shortcut located in ArmA2 install .dir is not enough? can someone confirm this?

thanx

Edited by markushaze
spelling

Before Patch it was fast and smooth. Not its either fast and stuttering or slow and smooth.

I was afraid it might come down to that. But anyways this is a beta for us who wants to test it out and report back wich is what i will do when i get home. Hopefully there is a value in there that will get me the way my game handles in the previous beta with mouse smooth simply ON. Or even like i have it now in the previous version but with a small step down towards NO mouse smooth to make it a bit quicker. I think thats BIS idea anyway with this new version.

Will report in the afternoon.

Alex

Mouse smoothing is now OK for me, but I will test it more, and will also try to change values.

Loving mousesmoothing at 0. The mouse is just that much more responsive. Thank you so much BIS. No stuttering here, running mouse @ 2000dpi, 1ms response time.

As for your question about default value. You have to add this option ingame for the next official patch (its the only way normal people will be able to tweak it correctly). And in my opinion, it should be disabled by default since all other games comes with this setting OFF by default - despite people having issues with it here (would be interessting to know what mouse they use).

Problem with beta patch.

Has been there from version 58814 all the way to 58879:

When logged in as admin and trying to changed the mission parameters (such as time of day, or weather, or anything else defined for that matter), it crashes to desktop. This behavior is not there in the 1.03 final patch.

Easy to reproduce.