Sign in to follow this  
mattxr

ARMA II Beta Builds Released: Latest version/build: 1.04.6xxxx

Can I make a suggestion?

It appears that the site the betas are on is incompatible with Google Chrome. I thought it was down until I chanced upon a post by a user in another thread, so it might be an idea to edit the OP with this information.

Can I make a suggestion?

It appears that the site the betas are on is incompatible with Google Chrome. I thought it was down until I chanced upon a post by a user in another thread, so it might be an idea to edit the OP with this information.

It's a Chrome issue.

Any normal Explorer can handle URL using ftp://

Chrome can't.

I suggest complaining to Google. Good luck, tons of people have already about this very issue

It's a Chrome issue.

Any normal Explorer can handle URL using ftp://

Chrome can't.

I suggest complaining to Google. Good luck, tons of people have already about this very issue

I complain every week :(

I set a skirmish between two groups in a forest.

For the first time I got a frame rate above 30fps with high settings (1680x1050, post turned off, terrain normal, object normal and the rest, including AA and AF on high, visibility 3000).

I don't know what BIS did with 58879 but it works. For the first time I'm happy with A2 :)

C2D E8650@3,6MHZ

4GB RAM

Slightly OC-ed GTX260 (192)

WinXP 32-bit

Edited by su27

:)Well done on giving us variable mouse smoothing - it works well.

I'm seeing smoother gameplay generally - Thanks.

Definately improving all the time.

:confused:The sound is still broken though. Granted, there is less distortion. But now I get lots of sounds being cut short, was never like this before this Beta Patch. Especially the sniper rifles, but i guess this the most noticable one as its a long Reverbed Sample. The soundspace seems empty as a result.

Still.....Except for that .....Getting there!

Are these Beta's causing anyone to restart the campaign, the way 1.02->1.03 did?

I'm right in the middle of Dogs of War. The smaller missions wasn't so bad to restart, but DoW seems long.

Are these Beta's causing anyone to restart the campaign, the way 1.02->1.03 did?

I'm right in the middle of Dogs of War. The smaller missions wasn't so bad to restart, but DoW seems long.

I don't even know if the beta affects the campaign so I don't think I would restart a mission.

:)Well done on giving us variable mouse smoothing - it works well.

I'm seeing smoother gameplay generally - Thanks.

Definately improving all the time.

:confused:The sound is still broken though. Granted, there is less distortion. But now I get lots of sounds being cut short, was never like this before this Beta Patch. Especially the sniper rifles, but i guess this the most noticable one as its a long Reverbed Sample. The soundspace seems empty as a result.

Still.....Except for that .....Getting there!

But I love the distant sounds they all sound better! Especially when your on the a couple of miles of a town thats being bombarded.... Just eliminate the cut offs and it will be great!

Just tried 1.03.58879 on default settings...

The mouse-lag is massive, unplayable. Going to play around with the values.

EDIT

Tried mouseSmoothing = 0 and mouseSmoothing = 200

Both gave the same result as not putting anything at all, still heavy mouselag.

Edited by Tophe

I get worse FPS in this build. In the last build I would get around 40-45 FPS in Stary Sobor in the editor, now I only get 30-35. In Chernogorsk I would get 30-35, now I get 25-30.

Yea still cant use the betas because of sound issues. They keep getting Cut short and thats if they even play the sound file at all!

Hope that 1.04 wont have the sound changes in it..because 1.03 works fine for me

Sounds

Sounds are cut short for me too in this beta. Rifle shots fired are cut in the middle and then following shots sound less. Happens all the time.

Sounds

Sounds are cut short for me too in this beta. Rifle shots fired are cut in the middle and then following shots sound less. Happens all the time.

I can confirm that. First you hear the bullet whizz then the first shot, after that you only hear the next bullet whizzes but no shots, if you can hear them occasionally they are very quiet.

Edited by Curry

EDIT (Update): Tested both the previous beta and this new one, and i think the value for us that used mouseSmooth=ON should use value around 5-20. I switched back and forth and found that this is closest. However when in a cockpit it feels like its harder to look around then previous build. I tested with VSYNC on/off and with different PreRenderFrame values, but i cant find exactlly how it was with the old value MS=ON, but fairly close.

There is a sound problem though as already stated, and me personally lag heavy when a lot of sounds are being played like when a jet shoot a lot of FFAR's. The impacts make me lag a lot. This does not happen in the previous beta.

@Tophe

Like i wrote, test around 5-20. I feel the best is around 5-10 for as it was before. At least for us that liked MouseSmooth=ON. But its still a bit off. 0 and 200 is no change. I think 200 is out of the chart and therefor it give you 0. But between 0-30 there is a massive change. Test with 30 and move mouse fast and youll see some nasty stuff.

Alex

Edited by Alex72

@ Alex

Dude... I suck.... I put it as a startup parameter. Now I got it working. Got to play around with the values some.

Alex72, The devs have stated multiple times in this thread that the default (non-beta) value for mousesmoothing is 30.

I've settled down with 5 as a good mouse smoothing value. It's fast and responsive without the mouse jitter you get with lower values. :)

I haven't experienced any sound issues so far. Framerates also seem pretty much the same as usual, though possibly a tad smoother. So far I'm loving the betas.

Also, adjustable object view distance please! :D

(I'm gonna keep saying that until it's either implemented or denied.)

Just a question:

What was wrong with the previous beta's MouseSmooth ON/OFF? Seemed to me that it pleased both camps. So it feels like it would be better to spend time on other issues like sounds that "stick", getting the sound engine to play more sounds at the same time etc. Im sure you work on performance and bugs, but the sound issues get very little "buzz", but they are IMO serious issues. Especially the sticking sounds that confuses you on the battlefield. You hear a sound - turn to see where it is, and its just not there. Because the sound follows as you turn instead of being tied to its source. Would be nice to know if it's even looked into as this one lowers the quality of the product. I reported it everywhere and bitch about it a lot so it gets attention, and i know you can fix it. :)

So anyway, the MouseSmooth values seems like a nice idea, but i havent managed to get it to the same feeling as before. Im getting close, but i havent found the same as MouseSmooth=ON wich felt better. So why not just leave it at ON/OFF and make a button for it in game, and move on?

Keep up the good work BIS.

Alex

Just a question:

What was wrong with the previous beta's MouseSmooth ON/OFF? Seemed to me that it pleased both camps.

So anyway, the MouseSmooth values seems like a nice idea, but i havent managed to get it to the same feeling as before. Im getting close, but i havent found the same as MouseSmooth=ON wich felt better. So why not just leave it at ON/OFF and make a button for it in game, and move on?

They're trying to get feedback on which smoothing values work best. Obviously it isn't the same for everyone, because some people had major mouse lag with the old default setting while others didn't. Also, mouse smoothing OFF seems to cause jittering problems for many people. Adjustable smoothing allows us to test which values work best. Simply sticking with ON/OFF as the only options might leave some people with the choice between major mouse lag and major mouse jitter.

Like I said, mouseSmoothing=5 works best for me. Your mileage may vary though.

So it feels like it would be better to spend time on other issues like sounds that "stick", getting the sound engine to play more sounds at the same time etc. Im sure you work on performance and bugs, but the sound issues get very little "buzz", but they are IMO serious issues. Especially the sticking sounds that confuses you on the battlefield. You hear a sound - turn to see where it is, and its just not there. Because the sound follows as you turn instead of being tied to its source. Would be nice to know if it's even looked into as this one lowers the quality of the product. I reported it everywhere and bitch about it a lot so it gets attention, and i know you can fix it. :)

I agree, the sticking sounds definitely need fixing.

Never had an issue with mouse lag and I don't see a diff with the beta, BUT, I do have all sorts of texture loading issues now!! Waahhhh!

Yup I've started to get those now too, man I hate the LOD issues and pop INS that stutter the game what am I doing wrong? :P

Edited by Sniper Pilot

I like mouseSmoothing=0;

Always play FPS games without smoothing, and ArmA feels much better without it.

I set my MX518 DPI to max and then turn down mouse sensitivity in-game. Gives good precision that way.

Although people with cheap mice will need the smoothing to make up for low DPI I guess.

Yup I've started to get those now too, man I hate the LOD issues and pop INS that stutter the game what am I doing wrong? :P

I dont think youre doing something wrong - its the game:o) I have suffered from slow loading textures from the very beginning, although my impression of the first beta patch build was that the issue had been worked on and was better.

However, with the latest build, all the issues are back (slow loading textures, silver heads, flickering).

BIS really needs to do something about it. Its nice they pay so much attention to mouse lags (which I have never experienced myself) but they should work at least as hard on improving the performance...over and out.

Installed the latest beta. I like the feel of the mousemovement now, it's more responsive.

But now i also have texture loading issues!

i.e. When i spawn next to a building i will see every different texture load on the building surfaces. First a low res wall, then higher res wall etc.. In normal Arma2 i don't have a problem with textures loading etc.

those with texture loading issue try to defrag first, see if it helps. 'Cuz you seem to get this pb with every new patch install..

those with texture loading issue try to defrag first, see if it helps. 'Cuz you seem to get this pb with every new patch install..

I am not sure thats the way to correct it. I have already done a complete defrag and the problem persists...Also, I really dont have these problems with any other game from Crysis to Oblivion. I dont believe installing one tiny patch at a time would mess up with the HDD so bad to cause such problems.

Anyhow, never say never to a good advice, so can you recommend a good (and FREE:o) degraf tool? I know there have been many such recommended in other threads but as long as we are talking about it...?