Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

I want ULTRA HD + a video so i can complain about every little detail that could be a bug :D

Buy me a 30" monitor and I'll take another screen and upload it. :yay:

"80 new weapons " , oh boy .

That includes all variations (with and without GL/ACOG/Aimpoint/Heatscope/ironsights and all those combined into a retarded looking aliengun :D

Lol, I find it hilarious that the PC Gamer writer could only think of LEFT 4 DEAD 2 when he discovered the SCAR.

---------- Post added at 11:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:41 AM ----------

The article does say that the campaign will indeed be playable in Coop. But I wonder what coop will be like in the missions where you're an apache pilot?

Also, is it too much to ask to make the individual stand alone missions playable in COOP without us having to edit them ourselves to be COOP playable?

Having the Armory playable in coop would also be sweet.

Edited by BF2_Trooper

NO ... I hope the high command that they put in is MUCH more feature prepared !

I just hope there's no more high command in the campaign....

I don't mind if there is high command. I just don't want warfare.

I don't mind if there is high command. I just don't want warfare.

Exactlly. High Command is great - warfare is not so great in a campaign (personal flavour ofcourse).

We will see soon enough.

EDIT: Pretty brutal SCAR in that pic. Kaboom + HeatVision and flashligt. Is that a PEQ unit on top also? Fully equipped weapon right there. Only thing missing is a cup holder. :D

Edited by Alex72

Only thing missing is a cup holder.

No, its there its just on the other side.

I can't wait for this. Chernarus is hell on my computer and I am hoping Takistan is a lot better. Its mostly those damn orange trees.

Can we have some information/videos about any improvements to the AI?

/KC

+1

I just wish we could get the same level of enthusiasm for a new & improved AI that we have for things like vegatation/flir/new vehicles etc...

The Arma>Arma2 jump to micro pathfinding and better use of coverage was pretty exciting but imagine how much more exciting it would to see a Dev really pumped over a new AI breaththru...

I would take that over any of the above anyday of the week.

i personally dont like the scar or other "ZOMGzer l337 high speede gunz" because of those damn airsoft kids... and COD idiots

oh well, verity is a good thing. i want to see the other new weapons. maybe well get mosins and SMLEs.maybe some weapons from irans arsenal? a long barreled akm iraqi DM rifle (forgot what that damn thing was called)?

i just hope that there is some DETRIMENT to using that gun that weighs as much as a SAW. especially with the new back pack system, there had better be some downside to lugging around a cumbersome assault pack.

in response to that box art: I TOTALLY CALLED IT... and it is even lamer than i thought :(

there is no dignity in that cover

Jakerod: I agree on the orange trees, but we never heard BIS trying to do the trees lighter even though we posted rather much about it. The new ones look great from what ive seen so we can just hope BIS took the complaints to heart and made the new ones "lighter".

Again, well see soon enough. :)

EDIT: Agreed That guy. But its nice that the parts on the guns now really work. This is ARMA and we chose wich guns we want in the missions so no harm done. :)

EDIT2: Meaning the SCARs will surely come in all versions. From stripped down to that bulky beast.

Edited by Alex72

ill be willing to bet ~40 or the new weapons will be MK.16 and MK.17 variants :p

edit: also i wonder how the game will fare in multiplayer warfare. i mean now that us americans are getting alot more of our high tech gear and such, the main enemy appears to be getting even more low tech

however, yes we have only seen what appears to be the irregular fighters, and not the regular forces so they might have something that is slightly able to fight back, but the point still stands

there has to be some way to balance it all out. maybe the insurgents start the game in control of all villages and cities across the map wile the US has to maintain control in areas it has conquered. maybe the insurgents can coax, or just request that civilians place IEDs in towns and along MSRs to the American main base and stuff. for the americans to capture a town, rather than doing it in the traditional warfare way, you have to speak with the local leader, and convince him to support you. if you kill too many people, or break too much stuff, the people turn away from you, and start to fight back

we will see soon enough how warfare is handled

Edited by That guy

Interesting read that article. I'm glad that they finally confirmed the thermal imaging sights for rifles (wasn't sure if it was confirmed before hand). Should bring a new experience to those who enjoy sniper/recon/scouting roles. Can't wait to see how the thermal features work if implemented into ground vehicles as well, as others have mentioned, the different displays.

Also I noticed they might be speaking a little bit about the improvements to the audio engine on that little Speed of Sound snippet at the bottom of the first page, thought it sounds nothing different from ArmA2 probably due to lack of info. Guess it'll have to be heard to be believed.

Nice to see that they have made thermals permanent and are considering weapons jamming, though I have to say one of the best things to be read in the article is that the environment won't be as resource hungry.

Nice to see that they have made thermals permanent and are considering weapons jamming, though I have to say one of the best things to be read in the article is that the environment won't be as resource hungry.

I hope it'll be better than the frames per second on the Utes island.

...though I have to say one of the best things to be read in the article is that the environment won't be as resource hungry.

Wow... What has happened to this community?

ill be willing to bet ~40 or the new weapons will be MK.16 and MK.17 variants :p

edit: also i wonder how the game will fare in multiplayer warfare. i mean now that us americans are getting alot more of our high tech gear and such, the main enemy appears to be getting even more low tech

however, yes we have only seen what appears to be the irregular fighters, and not the regular forces so they might have something that is slightly able to fight back, but the point still stands

there has to be some way to balance it all out. maybe the insurgents start the game in control of all villages and cities across the map wile the US has to maintain control in areas it has conquered. maybe the insurgents can coax, or just request that civilians place IEDs in towns and along MSRs to the American main base and stuff. for the americans to capture a town, rather than doing it in the traditional warfare way, you have to speak with the local leader, and convince him to support you. if you kill too many people, or break too much stuff, the people turn away from you, and start to fight back

we will see soon enough how warfare is handled

I know what I will do. Use russian army from ArmA2:).

Yeah, something like you suggested sounds good. We'll see.

for me, the environment itself isnt a problem to run, but when I try to make awesome battles on editor or give a shot at campaing, FPS 25> which makes me very sad. :(

I meet game requirememnts, but I cant play its own campaing without lag.. how nice. But I am still very exited about all the new features OA will bring. Hopefully we'll see some screenshots of flashlights and lasers soon :p

Im glad that i'll be able to run the damn thing @30 fps.

anything else is icing.

Maybe 1-20% increase in performance i think was the answer. So dont be glad over that just yet. We can only hope though.

So was that little magazine article the big news? Or is there some awesome update planned for this week/weekend....?

Thanks for the scans, was good to read something other then the BS from other forum members keyboards.

The article certainly raised my excitement meter.

Wow... What has happened to this community?

How does basicly saying 'hooray more frame rates" warrant insult. Was there something I was supposed to complain about, did I show too much joy in the possibility of running the game better?

Edited by NodUnit

The article mentions again the unmanned "little bird" being able to lase a target for an Apache's Hellfires. I wonder how this will play out in the game? In the current game, any target worth a Hellfire is going to be able to detect (and probably destroy) the UAV the moment it gets LoS on its target - there isn't really such a thing as "stealth" for vehicles. A lot of this is down to draw distance - you can't lase what you can't see, which means you have to be within a few kms.

Are the vehicle detection systems going to be changed so enemies won't immediately know about you until they happen to get a visual?

Mostly I'm worried that this will either be a gimmicky thing that can only be used in very contrived scenarios, or alternatively it'll become some kind of super-weapon that allows you to destroy tanks and whatnot with impunity.

On the subject of lasing, will AI friendlies be able to lase things for the player? It does sound like they're playing up the technology side of things and the environment seems like a perfect setup for precise strikes on designated targets, so I'll keep my fingers crossed there's be some work on making the AI capable of using these kinds of tactics.

The other thing that I noticed was that the city map wasn't mentioned at all. What was mentioned was the sparse terrain making long-range combat more important. There's been lots of hopeful speculation about improvements to the CQB AI due to the big city map, so I thought it strange that wasn't mentioned at all. And an emphasis on long-range combat seems to be the opposite of this. On the other hand, it makes sense because mid-long range is where the AI is most happy.