Tonci87

ArmA II: Operation Arrowhead discussion thread

As the old saying goes, you can't please everyone. No matter what BIS does, there will always someone whining about it. Best to just try and ignore them. ;)

I agree and they seem to miss the point its better to have the option to be able to use such things. If you dont like any thing thats included then dont put it in your missions :)

FLIR in modes like AAS would be like everyone running around with chams [A type of Cheat]

which the exception of not being to see through buildings.

FLIR is great but it will have to be limited a bit in certain MP situations.

Edited by jblackrupert

I am rather disappointed by the Answers from BI about OA. I admire their honesty, despite that probably 75% or more are "no" answers....

For me OA stays at what i was expecting "at very least" since the beginning - only a expansion pack to the original game, focused on additions of units and maps and some engine updates here and there where appropriate/fitting the story - Much like the famous expansion-pack "Resistance" was for OFP at that time.

Also a obvious goodie for cash-flow however is that it runs stand-alone....

No AI and most other crucial gameplay-related upgrades/improvements makes it very sad however, especially since it seems that it could have been the last Arma for a very long period of time......

I'm disappointed too.

So OA is just a data disk with FLIR?

Yea, as I mentioned earlier, FLIR is going to f**k up multiplayer.
FLIR isn't going to F**k up multiplayer, it is going to change it.

People will have to adjust to the new technology just as irl by taking precautions such as 'cooling down' vehicles... FLIR can't see through glass so that's one way you can stay hidden, another way is to launch grenades and flares around the place or stay around heat-sources such as turned-on vehicles and generators for cover & concealment etc.

I'm disappointed too.

Are you serious?

Where have you been in the last couple of weeks?

New campaign, sound engine improvement, new weapons, 3 new islands, 99-100% enterable buildings, slight optimisation, new factions, new vehicles, FLIR you have mentioned but you havent mentioned SSAO, lasers, updated weapon lights

random4_thumb.jpg

(lighting in OA is calculated per-pixel on all objects (it was per-vertex in OFP and Arma, and only per-pixel on the ground in Arma 2)); if you feel like BIS are offering too little then just don't buy it.

Edited by SASrecon

I'm disappointed too.

Yeah, that's all there is to OA. :rolleyes: There are no performance, engine, graphical or sound improvements at all. There's no backpacks, IR lasers, IR Strobes or flashlights. There's no UAVs. There's no vehicle damage model, improved physics, countermeasures, top down radar, CWC warning systems or helmet mounted displays.

There's no sight adjustment or fire control systems, there's no step bazed zoom, multiple optics modes or range finders. There's no random town generator, no enterable buildings, no damage model for all buildings, no performance increases and no new graphical features.

There's no variety in content at all, there's no interesting maps at all, there's no new content at all.

OA sure is disappointing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Hamm

I am rather disappointed by the Answers from BI about OA. I admire their honesty, despite that probably 75% or more are "no" answers...

Does this mean that theres 75 percent or more less content? Oddly enough "no".

Im not disappointing, because I never thought the things they said no too where actually going to happen in this anyway. Some of it is answered by the community & modders anyway. If they spend time on such improvements we would have lesser content, they wouldn't have justification for an expansion and it might as well be later far in the distant patches to arma2. A lot of AI etc was answered pretty much in terms of "script it and it will work" .. basically a lot of things asked have been done and tested and work wonders via scripting and mods, and the same will be true in OA.

I saw a lot of No's but then I also looked at the questions asked and what BIS needed to do and struck a balance.

I'm disappointed too.

Yes, in your personal head that's exactly what it is :). You want to check out Queens gambit, you would have mental breakdown :)

I think people have thought that some how they would overhall the engine get all this content done, and practically make arma3, arrowhead to me and always was arma 2.4 and it will be great. How anyone can be disappointing when you get more content and then still the ability to have mods and addons take it far further than waiting for BIS to implement every request and get nothing done, its a sandbox in the pure sense of the word.

Edited by mrcash2009

OA is more then new content and map. the destructible enviornment, enterable building and numerous engine enhancements are what OA is all about

---------- Post added at 12:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

I love that people still seem to think Arma is like any other game without much option :)

Its not GTA :)

But that feature will make this game more real mate

How less real does the ALICE side make it currently? Id say that it neither makes it more real or less real, it adds ambience and an angle to missions about civilians/watching out for them, whether they chat better to each other with GTA like anims and such only adds to performance loss which is an area id rather see not updated.

To make this game more real with that kind of addition would be a performance sucker yet again and its not priority over the rest of the game.

It would be "nice" .. but that's about it, id rather have cows and all animals walk a hell of a lot slower and some kind of spawn check so they dont eat from roads, more realistic chatting is less importance in my mind :) .

Edited by mrcash2009

No sound improvements:(

Sound effects are much improved in Arrowhead.

:rolleyes:

:rolleyes:

Argghh MadDogX don't spoil the chance of moaning :p

Argghh MadDogX don't spoil the chance of moaning :p

If the moaning is legit I'm more than happy to let people bawl their eyes out. In this case however, that crap needed to be ninja'd ASAP.

Hello,

thank you for answering those Community Questions. Shame about the AI , maybe in Arma3.

I think I already stated my opinion about DLC in the appropriate thread , so I won't repeat it here , albeit how ironic the whole DLC idea appears to be.

Maybe at some point in the far future you will realize that the people loved OFP and its upgrades for the outstanding core engine which still beats everything and people give a flying crap about content. So if you ever want to win an award for an outstanding product again , maybe you should stop being a content-producing machine for a fairly good renderer , but focus far far more on improving the engine capabilities and the fidelity of the warfare simulation you claim to make.

Ever so patient , lwlooz.

Yeah, that's all there is to OA. :rolleyes: There are no performance, engine, graphical or sound improvements at all. There's no backpacks, IR lasers, IR Strobes or flashlights. There's no UAVs. There's no vehicle damage model, improved physics, countermeasures, top down radar, CWC warning systems or helmet mounted displays.

There's no sight adjustment or fire control systems, there's no step bazed zoom, multiple optics modes or range finders. There's no random town generator, no enterable buildings, no damage model for all buildings, no performance increases and no new graphical features.

There's no variety in content at all, there's no interesting maps at all, there's no new content at all.

OA sure is disappointing. :rolleyes:

Better words I woudnt find. =D

_neo_

thank you for answering those Community Questions. Shame about the AI , maybe in Arma3.

Are you talking about AI and usage of buildings? If so then there's no reason to wait for ArmA 3 if that ever comes out. Scripting and mods makes AI use buildings :eek:

Its a good thing that they are doing the AI improvements directly through the Arma 2 patches instead having it it exclusive to OA.

I'm glad I don't have to make games to this community..

I'm glad I don't have to make games to this community..

^this :o

Ok i just don't really get this, the ai thing. There were a review which confirmed that ai DO use buildings to hide. I don't really care if its because of some kind of waypoint or scripting.

Another thing, i must be not one the lucky ones who ever seen the ai go into buildings on their own (means im not sending them in as squad leader). Even with search and destroy waypoint put in chernogorsk onto an enterable building where i hid an enemy, my ai squadleader sent us towards the house, then, without entering it, sent us to the next waypoint.

That mission way really a test of urban warfare in arma 2, made with RTE, i hid some soldiers in various buildings and sent my team in with search and destroy waypoints. After the last waypoint there were like 3 enemy soldier still hiding in the building, or stuck, i don't know, but just tell me what should i do, step by step, to see the ai enter a building (or use a ladder, i read that some people saw them use ladders, i didn't).

I hope in OA - since its confirmed - ai will use buildings, maybe because those buildings have much more space inside, or they can be just used as cover even from the inside, or most buildings have more than one entrance.

i cant believe you guys have not been talking about 1 weapon in particular on that list a few pages back:

STONE

i have found my new favorite weapon of all time. all they need now is the pointed stick

i cant believe you guys have not been talking about 1 weapon in particular on that list a few pages back:

STONE

i have found my new favorite weapon of all time. all they need now is the pointed stick

It is already in Arma 2, Classname is "HandGrenade_Stone"

really? aw man now i feel like a dope...

anyway, about that machinima vid.... yeah they dont quite have an "authoritative" command on some of the facts about OA

Does this mean that theres 75 percent or more less content? Oddly enough "no".

Im not disappointing, because I never thought the things they said no too where actually going to happen in this anyway. Some of it is answered by the community & modders anyway. If they spend time on such improvements we would have lesser content, they wouldn't have justification for an expansion and it might as well be later far in the distant patches to arma2. A lot of AI etc was answered pretty much in terms of "script it and it will work" .. basically a lot of things asked have been done and tested and work wonders via scripting and mods, and the same will be true in OA.

I saw a lot of No's but then I also looked at the questions asked and what BIS needed to do and struck a balance.

Yes, in your personal head that's exactly what it is :). You want to check out Queens gambit, you would have mental breakdown :)

I think people have thought that some how they would overhall the engine get all this content done, and practically make arma3, arrowhead to me and always was arma 2.4 and it will be great. How anyone can be disappointing when you get more content and then still the ability to have mods and addons take it far further than waiting for BIS to implement every request and get nothing done, its a sandbox in the pure sense of the word.

Well i skipped "Queen Gambit" since i thought it was worthless.

I was not expecting nothing "groundbreaking" with OA, just some well deserved fixes and improvements, some examples:

• AI units finally able to use their AT weapons effectively;
  • Fixes to vehicles pathfinding / convoy movement;
  • Fixes to helis pathfinding, so they don't crash randomly (they still do that i latest betas);
  • No more AI stuck in some animations (when using handguns, binoculars - again, they still do that i latest betas);
  • AI able to use buildings as cover;
  • fixes to AI in "danger" mode being unresponsive to player commands;

Sadly looks like there's no improvement whatsoever in these regards.

I my mind these things should have been fixed by now, 1 year after ArmA II release;

but at least they could have been fixed in OA ...

Also it's worth to note that probably 50% of stuff in OA has already been implemented by modders and for free.

Edited by fabrizioT

imho fixes have nothing to do with addon/DLC or whatever, they are done through patches, as BI as always done so far.

If it's not done already, BI either 1) can't correct it despite trying, 2) will be working on it in future patch (current beta program anyone?)

• AI units finally able to use their AT weapons effectively;
  • Fixes to vehicles pathfinding / convoy movement;
  • Fixes to helis pathfinding, so they don't crash randomly (they still do that i latest betas);
  • No more AI stuck in some animations (when using handguns, binoculars - again, they still do that i latest betas);
  • AI able to use buildings as cover;

Sadly looks like there's no improvement whatsoever in these regards.

I my mind these things should have been fixed by now, 1 year after ArmA II release;

but at least they could have been fixed in OA ...

Also it's worth to note that probably 50% of stuff in OA has already been implemented by modders and for free.

-The AI uses At weapons much better since the last beta patches .

-Sometimes convoys work just fine , sometimes they don't .

-Since the last beta patches it has not happened to me .

-I can't remember the last time when the AI has done that ( are you running any mods ? )

- The AI uses "buildings" for cover . They use there corners and they get behind walls , etc .

I would say 30 % , but BIS is giving us the posibility to have all thse features + the extra new stuff in ONE package instead of X nr of separate mods .

True but the quality ain't always that good.