Sign in to follow this  
sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Mod 2

I can hop in quickly and comment the recoils. In ArmA2 one only modify recoil in the (muzzle's) vertical plane with the shoulder as attachment point for the weapon, around which it pivots. One can sure strive to make recoil feel as good as possible, but it will never become truly realistic since it'd require modding the game's binaries.

Also, running speeds are animation-controlled, and animations are rigid. It's an engine limitation that it isn't really feasable to get around as far as I know.

And gibs won't work afaik. It'd require entirely new models to replace the player model for each bit of limb removed. Hardly feasible to do, if realistically doable at all, and even then it wouldn't be combatible with any other existing unit mods or BIS units.

^....

1. Recoils has been adjusted in various A1 mods so it is definitely possible.

2. Running speed has been adjusted in ACE1 and various other mods in A1, so I am sure its possible in A2 as well.

3. SLXmod already has gibs working. Go check it out.

Only gibs I've seen in SLX are people getting totally vapourized, but I guess I might not have seen enough.

And yes, running speeds were adjusted in ACE, but they were under no circumstance adjusted on a loadout weight ratio. That's what the stamina was there for: to exhaust people quicker the more they carried, to prevent them from moving overly fast by penalizing an attempt in doing so.

And I didn't say recoils can't be changed. I say that we are limited to the muzzle's vertical plane, with the shoulder as pivotal point of the recoil, and that it limits how much one can alter the recoil.

Do you guys have any plan on converting ACE Island pack and releasing it with ACE2?

Mr.G.C: You seem to be able to drop and pick up loaded backpacks, without all the content of it getting spawned all around the pack.

Actually this was possible in one of the ACE1 beta's as well. I remember it well when a mate played as a sniper and needed more ammo. He was on a hill and we had to go close by with our vehicle to get to our position. So i packed a bag at base and then dropped it in a bush close by to him. Nothing was scattered around the bag and he picked it up and headed back to the hill. Then another beta came i think and the gear scattered. Dont know what happened in the end as i didnt play the last ACE1 build.

But yeah, i cant wait to get backpacks again. It massively change the style of battles. And hopefully gear wont scatter. :)

Betsalel: Should be after seeing this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT4FUNNY0Xk

Oh thanks mate. Will check that video when i get home. A2 would look even nicer at night with them. :)

7. recoils:

A2 is different from A1 here. While values can be adjusted (and they have been for ACE2), in A1, you could tweak both vertical and horizontal jump of the gun. In A2, the horizontal is fixed, so you cannot have the effect in A1, where the recoil was visible and pushing into your avatars shoulder...

9. running speeds:

are pretty strict, and the values one can change are only the top speed. While sprinting starts from a high value and goes down towards a value that is less that jogging, for all the other movement modes, this cannot be done. Nor can that be linked to a weight system (being different based on loadout).

10. view restriction for gasmasks:

there is a video tpm posted where you can see this view restriction when gasmasks are on

for your 3/6/12 suggestions, those need to be fixed by BIS in the first place.

Actually this was possible in one of the ACE1 beta's as well. I remember it well when a mate played as a sniper and needed more ammo. He was on a hill and we had to go close by with our vehicle to get to our position. So i packed a bag at base and then dropped it in a bush close by to him. Nothing was scattered around the bag and he picked it up and headed back to the hill. Then another beta came i think and the gear scattered. Dont know what happened in the end as i didnt play the last ACE1 build.

You are right, that was the old backpack system which used _pdm magazine classes of all ruckable "stuff". However it produced heavy lag on the Network, thats why it was replaced with a "scripted" backpack system.

And due to a lack of such scripting commands or the possibility to treat weapons in a different way, you can't properly script it (sadly). Thats why im also from a technical POV very interested how BIS will solve all those things - at the very least i hope they leave new features modable.... :D

7. recoils:

A2 is different from A1 here. While values can be adjusted (and they have been for ACE2), in A1, you could tweak both vertical and horizontal jump of the gun. In A2, the horizontal is fixed, so you cannot have the effect in A1, where the recoil was visible and pushing into your avatars shoulder...

9. running speeds:

are pretty strict, and the values one can change are only the top speed. While sprinting starts from a high value and goes down towards a value that is less that jogging, for all the other movement modes, this cannot be done. Nor can that be linked to a weight system (being different based on loadout).

10. view restriction for gasmasks:

there is a video tpm posted where you can see this view restriction when gasmasks are on

for your 3/6/12 suggestions, those need to be fixed by BIS in the first place.

Thanks for reading and responding to my suggestions. :) EAGERLY await the mod that will end all mods... ACE2!

Its important to note that while I do appreciate the input Inko gives into this thread, he doesn't represent ACE in an official capacity.

That being said, we are aware that "gibbing" works, but we made the decision some months back, that we will not implement it as a feature.

Yep. I'm not representing anything at all. Just trying to explain engine limitations and how it has been done in the past, or what we've been showed or got explained this far about ACE2. I'm very happy to be corrected in the cases I'm wrong. :)

My honorable ACE team, please kindly consider my suggestions:

You could honor the ACE team by reading what has already been written by others and watching the teaser videos before posting. Much of what you talk about has been answered many times before.

Gore effects will NOT be added to ACE. While it's part of war, all it is in a game is frame-eating eye-candy. Worse, a lot of immature people get their jollies watching body parts fly. The last thing ArmA people should want is kids giggling about gibs instead of working as a team. That would turn a fine combat sim into a lousy imitation of Mortal Kombat - plus alter the game's violence rating to unacceptable levels.

ACE2 has blood trails for wounded soldiers. That is it.

I have another suggestion: Could please someone make Scopes for the Canons like the D-30? i think they are already implemented, but restricted for the player. In this shape they are really unusefull. Especially the AI can´t hit shit with them, because they always aim above the Target (tested with Troopmon).

@ EvilEcho ViperMaul still hasn´t responded to the Pm I sent him

WRT - KIA soldiers dropping ruck intact and not scattering contents. Already working and polishing that code up even more.

The PDM/EUM stuff mr.g-c mentioned is long gone. As I said before, total rewrite of that feature.

Edited by Evil_Echo

1. BIS seems to teach AI how to use the backpacks for resupply!

Dunno if that means just "own" resupply, if main inventory is empty, or if it will even going so far, that AI will support each other (group-members?) with ammo from their packs :eek:

2. You seem to be able to drop and pick up loaded backpacks, without all the content of it getting spawned all around the pack.

Modders would be able to do this already IF it would be possible to attach variables to weapons, see tickets: http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2014 and http://dev-heaven.net/issues/show/2980

I think BIS might be solving the problem by making the backpacks an ammo crate that you can carry on your back. if you "drop" the pack, you drop an ammo crate with the contents, and when you pick it up you get an item on your AT slot. If it is an ammo crate, then the AI should be able to resupply themselves from it without any additional scripting needed once the backpack is dropped. Of course some scripting would be required for getting the AI to drop the pack.

I have no idea if this is possible for the ACE team to do, but it might be a cool approach. Of course whatever they come up with should be good.

Mr.G.C: However it produced heavy lag on the Network, thats why it was replaced with a "scripted" backpack system.

Ah so thats what it was. Thanks for the info. :)

ACE team:

You saw the youtube video on the lit-up tracers posted some page back? Third time im asking and im starting to feel annoying towards you guys. Sorry lol. But is it something your looking into? Thinking of that it was part of ACE1.

Dont know why this has become such of an obsession to me lately... :)

7. recoils:

Sad... that was really nice.

No word about changing this by BIS, right?

Keep on the good job, hope thats not release before my final exams....

@alex72: to stop you from spamming those forums - no promise (call it official answer)

ACE must add a ton of new key bindings. Using this laptop keyboard minus a numpad I can zoom the map in and out or access the iron sights button. ACE won't add more features my curtailed keyboard can't access, will it?

@Alex72

Truth is I've never seen real tracers, only footage on youtube. But still, the ones shown in that video look maybe a little bit overdone, don't you think?

@ACE team

Also, I'm not sure what the final result on those new weapons will be (and I admire your work, I'm a 3d modeler/texturer...) but what I've noticed from screens is they all look like brand new out of boxes... No dirt on textures, no damage, or am I wrong?

I mean I'm talking about screens with that big sniper rifle and that grenade launcher with desert texture, they all look too ''new'' to me... But maybe I'm wrong... Please correct me if I am....

And please don't get me wrong, I know you're doing hard work, your achievements speak for themselves!

I have used real tracers in RL before and no, they don't light up its surrounding. Maybe it does a little bit but at most like what a firefly do around maybe 10cm around it?

I have another suggestion: Could please someone make Scopes for the Canons like the D-30? i think they are already implemented, but restricted for the player. In this shape they are really unusefull. Especially the AI can´t hit shit with them, because they always aim above the Target (tested with Troopmon).

@ EvilEcho ViperMaul still hasn´t responded to the Pm I sent him

There is a scope on those. Hit the zero key on the number pad. ;)

ACE2 has blood trails for wounded soldiers. That is it.

So if a body stay for so long in a place it will eventualy make a very small pool of blood? :confused: