Sign in to follow this  
funnyguy1

ARMA 2 DE 1.01 (final) Impressions - Post ALL Impressions/Videos/Screenies Here

Thanks, Nate. With this you answered a question I posted earlier. On this point, when switching back to your original position of being team leader, I take it you are once again in control of the team?

Yes, when you go back to cooper you are in control of the team again.

Also, take this scenario for example - if you're playing a mission where you need your sniper to be in a very specific position, watching a very precise direction, by switching to the sniper and getting into position and then switching back to team leader, does he (the sniper) behave himself and stay exactly where you left him? (even perhaps by ordering a 'halt' command before switching to him?)

I haven't tried it but I imagine the sniper would stay at the location you left him with a halt command. The problem is that he would most likely monitor a direction that would benefit the rest of the team (like fire sector). The best way of doing this would be to command the sniper to a specific location, assign him a specific posture, and then command him to watch a certain direction - that kind of tech has been with this game since OFP.

Lastly, does this principle apply throughout the game or is it only with Razor team?

Thanks.

Each mission could be different depending on who makes the mission. If you have a squad, and not all of them are "playable", you cant team switch. If your asking about retaining team leader control when switching, I am 99% sure it's still the old fashion way of promotions: You only get promoted if your superior dies in combat.

ArmA 2 seems too good to be true atm. :D

Can anyone confirm this? I was playing around with nvidia settings and I forced off Vert Sync and seemed like my fps went from around 50 to 90. Still testing but it was a large performance increase.
That's not a performance increase.

Vsync just limits the max framerate to the frequency that your monitor is running at (ex: 60Hz = 60FPS.) Turning off vsync just means that the system draws every frame it can as fast as it can, regardless of the fact that your monitor cannot physically draw them all. It can cause image tearing and other oddities.

There is no difference in actual performance.

I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers (185.85?), forced the vsync off, manually set the fillrate to exactly 100%=1680*1050 in the Arma.cfg and it seems that the game now plays much smoother now. I don't feel the fps drop anymore when going over the see (it used to be a lag fest for a while) and I barely have blur, even when turning the head.

It's really fluid in the editor, and I only had a few hiccups in MP with loads of AI running around in a TDM in chernogorsk (but probably more CPU related given the symptoms)

I have Q6600 2,4Ghz and G8800GT. Vram on default ; Terrain, Shadows and AF on Normal; Objects and Textures on High, PP on Low (for the blur...), VD around 2000. Seems a good compromise so far. Don't know if I can push it much more and keep a constant framerate in all occasions...

Edited by EricM

I'm just listening the .ogg tracks from the .pbo. I really like them!

Edited by alef

It's not just a dot, but it's not a hole either : its small pieces of woods sticking out of the bullet impact.

Intresting, didnt knew that to me it looked like the usual yellow splat.

I played a bit but didnt take a closer look at the impacts, however i shot at some walls in v.1.00 and it was the usual black dots there so i assumed for trees its the same.

---

About shooting through trees, brick walls or whatever else, well with a 47, AKM and their variants its not unlikely as they have a high power because of the big calibre and the heavy bullet.

Thats why russian special forces still often use AKMs.

There even are modern variants like the AK-103 or 104 that have the benefits of the newer designs but use the classic 7.62 that the AKMs used.

On the 74s id say its rather rare as the russian 5.45 has a quite lower puch, however it weights lot less and helps accuracy, same reason why most western armies today use 5.56.

It may not punch through things so well but on a unamored target a bullet that tumbles in the body on impact can be even nastier than one that goes through directly.

Someone feel free to correct me.

Edited by Shadow NX

Intresting, didnt knew that to me it looked like the usual yellow splat.

It depends on the configuration of the material, but I tested it on various wooden houses (fully in wood, not the one with brick behind) and you do see the effect.

AK47 & 74 has been going trough tree since Vietnam. Where have you been? Any heavy grained projectile can pass through tree and other objects.

AK47 maybe , but AK74 i think not.

Wow, great videos.

The AI in this game is impressive.

Thanks.

And 58 pages? Damn that was fast.

AI impressive but unable to drive truck on 2km road ??? !!!!

we don't have same "quality scale"

The AI in this game is impressive, if they are functioning correctly, as foot soldiers.

On the other hand they drives really really bad, tanks or trucks, cars or bikes.

Aircraft is OK but still needs to improve.

thats what it seems for me after collecting different game owners opinions.

It's almost like theres a conflict in the paths they try to follow, and the collision boundaries.. Or the steering needs to be tuned like a PID loop, they're oscillating -oversteering and over correcting. Quadrature dampening anyone? lol. Suma, servo control schemes would be perfect here (except for the processor load).

Edited by Scrub

Haven't played Arma 2 yet, but for all the people complaining about how AI drives on roads, are you setting the AI to "At ease", or whatever Arma2's equivalent is?

Each mission could be different depending on who makes the mission. If you have a squad, and not all of them are "playable", you cant team switch. If your asking about retaining team leader control when switching, I am 99% sure it's still the old fashion way of promotions: You only get promoted if your superior dies in combat.

ArmA 2 seems too good to be true atm. :D

Actually now with the 'revive' system, a squad leader can become wounded and cant control his men anymore.

I've gained control of a squad this way before, i set up defensive perimeter and had another AI heal the squad leader.

When the SL was back on his feet, he releaved me of command and took over himself again :)

arma22009-06-0417-46-02-35.jpg

arma22009-06-0415-22-28-70.jpg

arma22009-06-0414-12-53-62.jpg

Note how I can "sense" tanks on the other side of the (flat) city.

arma22009-06-0315-39-22-73.jpg

now i think that picture could send onto bug tracker as an prove of bug

One question:

Am I just blind, or are you guys also missing the longitudes on the in-game (as in while playing, not the editor) map?

I can only see the latitude.. :confused:

One question:

Am I just blind, or are you guys also missing the longitudes on the in-game (as in while playing, not the editor) map?

I can only see the latitude.. :confused:

No, your not blind. It's in the troubleshooting thread. Changing monitor screen ratio worked for me but not everyone.

Right, tried to search the threads but didn't see this one reported (was not reported in the community issue tracker at the time I searched)..

Well, that sucks, hopefully that's fixed soon.. Finding locations on Chernarus based on the GPS is kinda hard without the longitude :rolleyes:

Otherwise, loving the game completely :)

Hi all,i wanna post my short review of Arma2 down here.

After i`ve been playing Arma2 for about 5 days ,me and my friend were wondered of amount of bugs ,wich we came at in the game.

Shortly sad ,this game contains bug on a bug.

The worst thing is with savegames,it`s almost impossible to complite a mission ,because of the bugged game.

Example:

We start the mission Manhatten,after me and my friend have almost accomplished mission, game of my friend ,who`s also the host, crashes with memory leak error, this crash delete all your save games ,and you can start a whole mission other again,the only way to save your saves from been deleted, is to backup your save folder in "My Documents" each time while you`re playing a game .The way savegames function works is also unhandy, you have only 1 way back to the last save, you don`t have an ability to choose a saved game you want to load from the list (wich doesn`t exist also),as in normal games, for example crysis or any else.To make a custom save game you need to disconnect from the server:"Wt* is that so hard to create a button or hotkey called "Save game"?"It took us about 50 hours in past 4 days to complite this mission"Manhatten",due bugs,it`s really annoying to start mission over and over again FROM THE BEGINNING, after game have crashed incase of memory leak ,and have deleted all the save games.

AI?This is worsest Ai i`ve ever seening in games,all i can say is that ai is Dumb,but also unfair cheater.

Dumb AI:

I drive an APC , i see an enemy ,i drive straight at him,he`s not even try to escape or shoot at me when he sees me, he is just standing at one place or lying on the ground and looking at me, till the moment i just drive him over.

Cheating AI:

At the time when i approach an enemy main base or camp ,i get killed just from nowhere with 2 bullets or less.AI spots me even before i spot him and this is on regular level of difficulty, even if i move behind mountains ,AI starts shoot at me ,while he can`t even see me.You have absolutely no time to react ,and shoot back, total disbalance!

Well,i`m not going in any further bugs,there is so much of them that it will take me hours to describe them all down here.

Me and my friend were yelling with all the words by wich you can call this game ,when we stoped playing this game.WE ARE DONE WITH THIS GAME SO FAR.

Our rating:

Video graphic:7/10

Special effects/Explosions:4/10

Concept(of a game):10/10

Storyline:4/10

Simulation(of vehicles,battlefield,control of a vehicles):7/10

Bugs:10/10

Our overall Rating:3/10

This could be a great game,if all these bugs weren`t in the game,but for now it`s not worth 40 euro`s, 10-15 euro is a red price for this game.

We can`t call it final, not even demo, or beta-game.

We give it a status of pre-beta game,by so far,even patch 1.0.1 haven`t fixed most of the bugs we have seen in game.

And it`s really hard to give this game rating of "3" because game concept is great ,models ,vehicles,map size either great.

But, this whole game is build on bugs. so it`s unplayable.

Wanna get stressed,play this game.All i can say, you will not get any pleasure of playing it after 10-15 min ,all because of constant bugs.

Hope you developers, can fix all the bugs fast as you can , and you should do it fast, because people will hate this game with each day more and more.And finaly no one will buy your projects in future anymore, before it will be reviewed by a good source.I don`t try to scare you ,but look at this seriously.

And i`m really wondered .

Do you have a "Testers team" ,who test the quality of a game?Seems to me you don`t.

Sorry for that bad news.

Goodluck with fixing all the bugs.

you will not get any pleasure of playing it after 10-15 min ,all because of constant bugs.

Speak for yourself :P

Also, you didn't mention once about ArmA (or even OFP?).

You get pleasure of starting mission each time over again or just getting crashed while you have 8 GB of memory? :)

Out of curiosity, which games do you think look better than Arma 2?

You get pleasure of starting mission each time over again or just getting crashed while you have 8 GB of memory? :)

Maybe post your system specs?

Also have you ever played ArmA or OFP?