Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Will my PC Run this? What CPU/GPU to get? What settings? System Specifications.

What would you prefer?

i7 920@3.8MHZ and 12GB RAM

Or

i7 860@4.0MHZ and 8GB RAM

What is faster (could not find a benchmark on the OC systems)

Of course 12GB is nice for RAM disc but 8GB is not bad either and the only game I know where I can use it is ARMA and maybe a future patch will fix it.

I read the i7 860 has lower energy consumption and less heat production.

The i7 920 has the more future proof main board.

What do you think is the best choice for ARMA? (Same price!)

What would you prefer?

i7 920@3.8MHZ and 12GB RAM

Or

i7 860@4.0MHZ and 8GB RAM

What is faster (could not find a benchmark on the OC systems)

Of course 12GB is nice for RAM disc but 8GB is not bad either and the only game I know where I can use it is ARMA and maybe a future patch will fix it.

I read the i7 860 has lower energy consumption and less heat production.

The i7 920 has the more future proof main board.

What do you think is the best choice for ARMA? (Same price!)

lol Arma2 wouldn't reconise that much ram anyway i dont think?

either would sure be a nice system.

Then maybe the ATI 5870 will be top of the pile for some time with ArmaII, appears to be the quickest single GPU card at present.Has anyone run one of these with ARMAII?

3dGuru review

Techspot Review

I'd like to know this too. Can't decide between 5870 and 5850. I guess both cards should run ArmA2 maxed out?

what would be the best power supply and graphics card for around £150 that would play arma2 at the best possible

150£ for Power supply AND GPU? man, you ned bigger budget to get ArmA2 running decently. Anyways, Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT is pretty good, and its around 100£ I think

i can tell what PC i have since 2008 and Arma2 is 30 FPS (in 1280*1024 on 19LCD and BETA patch)

AMD 6000 (dual 3ghz), VGA 8800 GTS 512

I'm currently building a new PC, which I would think should be high-spec enough to run Arma2 on good settings at least. The specs are as follows:

Intel Core i5 750 CPU (2.6ghz)

nVidia GTX 260 Graphics Card

4gb DDR3 RAM

OS will probably be Windows 7 Professional.

Anyone have any ideas how well the game should run on this rig?

For the cost of that Cpu I'd get an AMD Phenom II black edition/Motherboard Combo. For around $200-$300, depending on the performance you want, you can get one hell of a Cpu and overclock the living hell out of it. These Phenom II's are fantastic overclockers. For nearly the performance of an Intel Extreme I was able to get a great motherboard (For great memory and Xfire support) and the best memory on the market!

But I understand some people just love Intel. Um, you could certainly run Arma II, no problem with that i5. Although for the same price of that i5 and the GTX 260 you can get a Phenom II quad and a Radeon 4890, and the 4890 is ~ with a GTX 275, and OC'd ~ with a GTX285. Also IMHO Arma II runs better on Radeon Gpu's.

It just so happens my favorite games are almost all Euro of origin, Arma II, all of the Stalker games, and they all (Absolutely and proven for the Stalker games) run better on Radeon Gpu's. I was as blind & obedient a Nvidia Fanboi you could ever find until about 10 weeks ago. After realizing DX support is more important that Physx/Cuda, I walked away from Nvidia, and I'm so happy I did. Games that support DX10.1 run so kickass good, even the low end Radeons match medium-high end Geforce cards because of the 10.1 performance gains, removing pipeline bottlenecks and much more.

Hey this isn't all addressed to you hehe, this is just a rant. Although I meant what I said about a Phenom II and a 4890, Hell you could purchase my setup for under $600(Not including the cooling solutions, high end board and platinum memory, and a case to do it proper| However you don't need an OC like mine, nor the memory, nor the mobo to run Arma II), and there's no game or application that can bring this PC to it's knees, maybe 3Dmark Vantage, but not really, anyways it's the only 3D app that really shows the limit, the brick wall I guess you could say.

Edited by Rhammstein

Then maybe the ATI 5870 will be top of the pile for some time with ArmaII, appears to be the quickest single GPU card at present.Has anyone run one of these with ARMAII?

I've been running one for a little over a month now. It replaced my old 8800GTS (which actually ran the game on mid-range settings). I'm currently bottlenecked at the CPU (plus the card is driving a 30" monitor). I think that I can safely assure you that the 5870 isn't going to magically give someone 100 fps in teh big city with OMGALLSETTINGZMAX!!!!1111

The 5870 is a good solid card for ArmA2 but your results will depend on the rest of your hardware. This game is simply very demanding by today's standards.

My avg ArmAII-Mark scores (specs in sig):

Low 4500

Normal 3200

High 2700

Very High 2300

*scores about +500 over my old 8800GTS

ymmv

Hello, I have got a question about in-game GPU load.

I have an AMD Phenom II X3 running at 3500MHz, HD 4890 OC'ed to 900/4400.

Two days ago I had some time to play the game, I decided to measure all the temperatures, speeds, clocks and so on in my system via RivaTuner and plugins for it.

I was very amazed when I saw in-game GPU load only about 28-50%. Sometimes it could be more than 50%, but very very rarely. CPU load is also not so much, not 100% of course. Is this a "great optimization" for hardware??? I could understand 50% GPU load with Crossfire not working, but I have a single-chipped graphic card and it seems very strage to me... Plz, comment on this.

I'm going to get a new PC soon, but I was wondering, for ARMA 2 what'd be the difference between the windows 7 64 bit and 32 bit versions?

maybe the wrong place but I heard it was possible to build a good gaming computer with just 400 dollars that could handle this game... I have no idea how to build one but any hints on what I can do I really want to play this game.

maybe the wrong place but I heard it was possible to build a good gaming computer with just 400 dollars that could handle this game... I have no idea how to build one but any hints on what I can do I really want to play this game.

wow thats a tall order. what comp you got now, mainboard, memory, cpu etc?

reason why i ask is, you might be able to use some of what you have to keep costs down.

I hope I've posted this in the right section, if not, apologies.

Now then, I've posted this on many forums around the internet, and each forum either hasn't gotten back to me, or given me mixed responces, some say it can run on this spec, others say it can't.

I intend to get a Macbook Pro (don't boo) for work; this job is going to be quite demanding (Outdoor adventure instructor) and one of those demands is to live at the centre. So I can't go carting around desktop PC's unfortunately. So hence why I'm restricted to a laptop, this is the macbook pro I've selected;

3.06GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM

500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm

NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB

I also intend to Dual boot (for obvious reasons) with either Windows XP or Windows 7. (Depends if I also want to install Rogue Spear).

So my question is, can I run Arma 2 (and the original Arma) on that spec?

Sorry i need to no how well this would run arma2? Im planning on buying this pretty soon and if it wont run arma very well i might go fo a differnet pc...so an answer as soon as possible would be good thanks.

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad-Core processor

(2.40GHz, 2MB Cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

4GB DDR2 800MHz memory

512MB ATI Radeon HD4850 graphics

640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)

Sorry i need to no how well this would run arma2? Im planning on buying this pretty soon and if it wont run arma very well i might go fo a differnet pc...so an answer as soon as possible would be good thanks.

AMD Phenom X4 9750 Quad-Core processor

(2.40GHz, 2MB Cache)

Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium

4GB DDR2 800MHz memory

512MB ATI Radeon HD4850 graphics

640GB SATA hard drive (7200rpm)

the O/S lets it down the cpu is a bit of a bottleneck. apparently a dual core is better for this game,

win XP is the best game O/S made by MS

AMD ATHLON II X2 250 AM3 3.0GHz £50.16

AMD Athlon II X4 620 £73.40

Asus M4N78 PRO, Nvidia 8300 Chipset, DDR2, AM2+/AM3, ATX £66.45

BFG GF GT 220 1GB DDR2 PCI-E £63.19

OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 Reaper HPC Performance (2x1GB) £45.94 inc.

1TB Barracuda LP SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive, Seagate £59.80

i dont think thats a bad price at all. see what others say about what i picked out, everything priced from aria.

Seems like a pretty nice machine...but expect overheating problems, unless you use additional cooling-fans (built-in a laptop support or so).

And use XP for Arma2 ;)

Seems like a pretty nice machine...but expect overheating problems, unless you use additional cooling-fans (built-in a laptop support or so).

And use XP for Arma2 ;)

Well I've recently found out that those two graphics cards aren't SLI'd (yeah shows my computing knowledge) and infact only 1 runs at a time (Which ever one you need for what ever task). And apparantly the laptop versions of those cards aren't that good.

Bearing in mind people have said things that counter that aswell XD

You should be okay with that laptop. I'm running Arma 2 on a 2007 iMac (2.4Ghz, 4 Gb RAM and Radeon HD 2600). It runs okay, but on low resolution and windowed. You've got some more horsepower though so it should be a bit better than mine.

Download SMC Fan Control and install it on the Mac partition. You can then set minimum fan speed on the Mac and then boot into Windows (as Bootcamp cannot regulate the fan speed on Windows)

It might be worth downloading the drivers for your GFX card direct from Nvidia as the Bootcamp ones aren't particulary optimised. If it doesn't work, you can always roll back. If you do get the Nvidia ones, check out a program called mobility modder. It converts desktop drivers to a mobile format.

Why have the 2 different cards? A 9600 should be able to handle everything a 9400 does.... or is it some kind of Mac restrictive thing that one card is for the possibility of adding a WinOS?

wow thats a tall order. what comp you got now, mainboard, memory, cpu etc?

reason why i ask is, you might be able to use some of what you have to keep costs down.

well one the computer I have now just kicked the bucket and two it had trouble running Operation Flashpoint CWC sometimes so I dont think so lol. So I have no hope for a cheap gaming computer?

the O/S lets it down the cpu is a bit of a bottleneck. apparently a dual core is better for this game,

win XP is the best game O/S made by MS

AMD ATHLON II X2 250 AM3 3.0GHz £50.16

AMD Athlon II X4 620 £73.40

Asus M4N78 PRO, Nvidia 8300 Chipset, DDR2, AM2+/AM3, ATX £66.45

BFG GF GT 220 1GB DDR2 PCI-E £63.19

OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 DDR2 Reaper HPC Performance (2x1GB) £45.94 inc.

1TB Barracuda LP SATA 3Gb/s Hard Drive, Seagate £59.80

i dont think thats a bad price at all. see what others say about what i picked out, everything priced from aria.

well one the computer I have now just kicked the bucket and two it had trouble running Operation Flashpoint CWC sometimes so I dont think so lol. So I have no hope for a cheap gaming computer?

might be worth a look. building one is far better than buying one these days, you get the exact spec you want and a better than mainstream price.

I need to decide which one I should buy, Ati Radeon Hd4890 with 1Gb, or 2Gb. How big is the performance difference?

I need to decide which one I should buy, Ati Radeon Hd4890 with 1Gb, or 2Gb. How big is the performance difference?

I'd say that depends also on the resolution you play.... If you play below 1680x1050 (example from a Flatscreen 16:10), i doubt you would see a(ny) difference.

I'd say that depends also on the resolution you play.... If you play below 1680x1050 (example from a Flatscreen 16:10), i doubt you would see a(ny) difference.

as the matter of fact I am using a BenQ LCD screen with resolution 1680x1050, so I just should stick with 1 Gb (cheap'n'good)