sickboy

A.C.E. Advanced Combat Environment Public Release!

One thing I must say, the T90K Command tanks are invisible around 1000 meters away. Here's a few screenshots to show.

1000+ Meters away, note T90 is right of BMD1 near the explosions.

Through Binocs

At least get rid of the west info. You should only see your sides markers anyway, and if not (i.e. multi side against a common enemy) they should be colorcoded to indicate side.

That being said, I don't use the tracking markers because those missions I play which needs to be distinguished with group markers, they are usually provided in the mission or ment to be updated by hand during very good teamplay and leadership.

@Robalo: I was able to get ECS 'sort of' running with ACE (1.00, never tried with 1.01), but tracers (got a single dot, but no glowing ball) would be gone forever so I abandoned it. Most of what ECS does was turned off since it conflicted with ACE ways of doing things (effects side). I'd like to have some of the ECS AI features back, but I guess it'll just have to wait.

@Sickboy: Roger that, was just curious if invisible targets was being used.

Noticed something about the tanks though. Rotating the turret takes forever pretty much making the tank useless to work with. Is it realistic that the turret takes so long time to do a revolution?

~ about the turret rotation speed, from RL experience with a M1A2 SEP the turret does not rotate fast enough in ACE.

If this is possible or already suggested my aplology.

It would be helpful to be able to Disable ACE Features of choice in the Init like Mandoble Bombs does giving us control over what features are not right for some missions.

Great Mod!

Nearly every feature has this ability. Just not documented atm i'm afraid.

We're looking for members :-D

ACE is fantastic but it would be nice if ACE developers would spend a bit more time on documentation. Yeah, I know its boring!!!!

Quote[/b] ]I have a question/feedback. It seems, the AI dont resupply that they have in the backpack after they run out of ammo. Is that a known issue?

So far I just had to tell them to open their gear dialog, and resupply for them. That is when I'm the commander. Havent tried if i was just another man in the squad. Maybe the AI leader will tell them to resupply.

Thanks in advance

Was suggested by me ~ half-year ago and the ticket was set to "accepted". That means you can be sure the Devs have addressed this. The rest is up to them tounge2.gif

Quote[/b] ]Noticed something about the tanks though. Rotating the turret takes forever pretty much making the tank useless to work with. Is it realistic that the turret takes so long time to do a revolution?
Quote[/b] ]~ about the turret rotation speed, from RL experience with a M1A2 SEP the turret does not rotate fast enough in ACE.

I have criticized this also a long time ago.

I find especially annoying the up-down movement speed of the Maingun and especially of Tank-Commanders NSVTs/M2 HMGs (impossible in use to attack choppers).

It was discusses internally and left as it is.

Maybe King-Homer (responsible for the Tank stuff) will answer here.

For reference in ACE Forums: http://www.acemod.net/forums/project.php?issueid=594

Issue is set to "no response" as i couldn't deliver actual data... maybe some of you can deliver some - especially when i read "real-world experience". biggrin_o.gif

Quote[/b] ]Is there a reason for the insane amount of performance lost whilst using ACE?
Very much depends on the Rig.

A rig that has trouble running vanilla ArmA, won't be running any faster with A.C.E.

However, Mr. Tea and some others have vaguely reported performance drops between 1.00 and 1.01, which is extremely weird as non of our testers seems to cope with this problem.

If ppl could supply more details, do some tests for reproducability, we should be able to find if and where the problem is.

It would be helpful to be able to Disable ACE Features of choice in the Init like Mandoble Bombs does giving us control over what features are not right for some missions.

Great Mod!

ACE is fantastic but it would be nice if ACE developers would spend a bit more time on documentation. Yeah, I know its boring!!!!

Feel Free to sign up and help us with this 'boring' job.

Does there exist a manual reference, cheat sheet (?), or "seed file" to how documentation should look like? Formatting, headers/headings, styles, file formats, image attachment handling, how much info on each feature and so on?

Crash report: Entered a ZU (AA gun, not shilka) to try to take down a fence. The gun was slightly damaged beforehand (no turret elevation control). I got knocked out by splash damage and I think ArmA CTD'd the moment I died from the damage.

I just saw AI dragging wounded. Awesome. But it didn't look very good on multiplayer, lots of jumping back and forth. Kind of like it looks when a chopper is lifting a vehicle except not in up/down direction.

Problem with weapons sway, how it really plays out. I was using a 5.56 caliber rifle (HK416 I think with ACOG) and had to use up or low position (not prone) due to terrain features. It took me MANY shots to be able to hit a guy 'just' (I know, but ArmA leaves a lot to be desired for natural cover) 100-150 meters away. When he dropped he immediately stood up and returned fire (new bug in 1.01 I think). He couldn't hit me very well either and we exchanged several clips of ammo until I finally dropped him again. By this time I think I was getting weapon overheat as well because I think I sensed increased dispersion. Now I take a light hit from some other guy and is barely wounded. No bleeding and just 'knocked back' or something (extended armor off on our server). Now I have huge weapons sway due to weapons sway and light damage, pluss what I think is overheated weapon. I couldn't hit a barn form the inside at this point.

Another problem with weapons sway amount is when you're in a firefight in the open. There is rarely an oppurtunity to find anything to use as rest. Some trees work, but you're spending valueable time to actually find the correct position to obtain rest, in which you're likely to get killed in the process. In the open and at some distance (150-300m), 5.56 based weapons are pretty much useless.

Also, using launchers has become extremely hard now, because you get weapons sway and launcher dispersion added.

A positive experience: Some enemy took aim and shot a few rounds in my direction. He suddenly decides (no ammo?) to let me be and retreates crawling behind cover and then back to his comrades. I was the only player, using a modded version of Domination. I just thought that was awesome.

I could have screwed somethign up, but the default loadout configuration for the ACE_US_ARMY(Woodland) and ACE_RUSSIAN_ARMY AT Gunner Assistant character both have the wrong ammunition in their loadout. Both units have M136 rockets, but (I assume) their matching cohort the AT Gunner uses a different AT weapon.

I can confirm that the XEH included in the 1.01 patch makes ace incompatible with other mods what use xeh(namely ecs, gl3). With the older XEH(from 1.00) they work.

The "Heavy Sniper" and "Sniper" loadouts are exactly the same - besides that the new editor-structure is great!

Great Mod!

Can you give us just one example on how to DISABLE a feature like Helicopters, return them to normal so 1 player can take over again Manual Fire.

Thanks

@ Jan. 21 2009,20:25)]
Is there a reason for the insane amount of performance lost whilst using ACE?

Apart from detailed models and running scripts - no.

You need to pay for new features somehow. wink_o.gif

Yes, but it makes playing a battle, per say 40 vs 40 with four tanks on each side very very stressful. I'm not doubting, the models are beautiful, the scripts are great, but the lag from it makes it unattractive.

Have you improved/streamlined anything to boost the FPS, as with the above gameplay set up, I drop to around 8 or 9. Without ACE, I am in the Forties.

I've only started to notice FPS drops with 1.01. As an example, repeated use of the "weapon rest" during a firefight soon began eating away at FPS to the point where it seemed likely to crash.

You might want to concentrate on ironing out all the issues that are being reported at the moment before considering adding any more new features, otherwise you're just going to end up getting bogged down. I know a lot of people were just happy to see a well rounded medical system. :P

There are some really innovative bits in there, i'm still in awe of the HUNTIR system. But "basics" (I use " because I realise implementing this is anything but basic :P) such as enemy AI suppressive fire over long distance is missing.

ACE has already added to the community in so many ways, i'm sure you want to see it running smooth for everyone too. Anyway, keep it up!

The fps drops I notice is whenever I see the smoke effect(explosions or smoke grenades).

It seems to demand a lot more than Madmatts old package, while not really looking any better.

I can confirm that the XEH included in the 1.01 patch makes ace incompatible with other mods what use xeh(namely ecs, gl3). With the older XEH(from 1.00) they work.

Can ACE developers confirm this? And will it be fixed soon?

Can you give us just one example on how to DISABLE a feature like Helicopters, return them to normal so 1 player can take over again Manual Fire.  

Thanks

As far as I know it can't be done in any easy way. You'll have to change the config for the helicopters so that the weapon entries are in the correct scope (gunner's).

It should probably be posted in the bug tracker on their forums. I didn't see anything about it when I was there this morning but I may have missed it. I haven't seen any problems with the current version and the XEH required AddOns I've been using the past few days but I haven't tried ECS nor GL3 with v1.01 yet.

It seems like they prefer to discuss bugs over there and not here. I could be wrong though but from reading the bug reports in this thread many aren't discussed here by the team. I imagine it's much easier for them to do it there instead of here.

One suggestion for the mod:

Anyone remembers the "gimbal tosser" addon for OFP? ( http://ofp.gamepark.cz/index.php?showthis=623 )

These were civilian units throwing TVs, bottles and other stuff, BAS had african civilians throwing rocks.

Maybe it's allready planned or worked on (IMW mod?),  but I really think some hours being worked on a addon like this would be spent wise (won't need alot of modelling work).

It would add a nice depth to any insurgent-style maps at e.g. Avgani or afghan village, imagine playing a crashed pilot armed with a M9 in a coop mission while a angry mob runs toward you    xmas_o.gif .

It seems like they prefer to discuss bugs over there and not here. I could be wrong though but from reading the bug reports in this thread many aren't discussed here by the team. I imagine it's much easier for them to do it there instead of here.

Correct. A single thread just as this is a complete mess that's horribly difficult to navigate and find anything useful in, or to have people read your replies in. Simply put it can't get much worse than this, so this thread doesn't get much if any attention as far as bugs are concerned. The Project Tools on www.acemod.net/forums is where we want them.

I have a threry as to why players JIP as a seagul and then make others CTD!! and ever at worst a server CTD.

I can reproduce this bug 80% of the time with the RTE.

I will speak to sickboy asap.

Thats human nature - discussing things on one main official forum were all are registered. Would be bad if devs stop watching here at least with one eye... wink_o.gif

Would help if you make the list ACE forum reports for all incl. non-registered viewable/readable. Or add/export a simple list with wip and on hold status on your ACEWiki Main page

The fps drops I notice is whenever I see the smoke effect(explosions or smoke grenades).

It seems to demand a lot more than Madmatts old package, while not really looking any better.

Well i noticed this too.

But i do not use A.C.E. it happend with the default BIS Smoke Grenades too.

2 sec. after a Smkoe Grenade was thrown and starts smoking, if you then look directly into the smoke, the FPS drop from 60 to 45/40.

I tested remove the weapon sway PBO and boy was that a relief. smile_o.gif There is basically no sway at all wich might be a bit uber. But i think with a decimal more sway at standing and even less than a decimal more when sitting would be amazingly perfect. The sway should be there to give the feeling that we are alive. That our bodies are living breathing instead of clinical complete still. I felt like i was a soldier again. Maybe a decimal to uber, but still much better.

Walking and shooting when sway.PBO was removed was awesome. It looks like the ACE crew added slightly more animation movement to the upper body in this patch (dont know if im correct there though), but it had that original sway when walking but less so you had to concentrate to be accurate wich was awesome. Felt like when i did the same with the real thing. Very close indeed. I think go from that and just add slight sway to it when standing and very very little when sitting and it will be spot on.

Regards

Alex

Correct. A single thread just as this is a complete mess that's horribly difficult to navigate and find anything useful in, or to have people read your replies in. Simply put it can't get much worse than this, so this thread doesn't get much if any attention as far as bugs are concerned. The Project Tools on www.acemod.net/forums is where we want them.

Understood, and I will make efforts to report things there.

However, it would probably be useful if there was an assigned person from the ACE team that monitored this thread and provided info here and also recorded bugs reported here perhaps.