Sign in to follow this  
Placebo

Arma feedback thread - based on 1.09

funkee shilka is AA vehicle with radar ...

if You fire ffars on it in clear line of sight ...

hmm, you suggest that Shilka uses it's radar to aim the targets? I don't think so. this is just a gun, not a homing missile. I think Shilka uses it's radar only to know, where the target is coming from, and cannot shoot BVR (beyond visual range). in ArmA, ZSU23 shoot far before you can even see it. but I may be wrong of course...

It is a gun with radar and a targeting computer that can calculate where to fire to hit its target. Besides if you are being engaged by a shilka, your to high and need to use those hills.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ZSU-23-4_Shilka

According to this it can engage air targets from 2 to 2.5 km

8. in The Armory (but I noticed that it happens also in missions! ), suddenly I get a message: "Good birds don't fly away from this game, I have only myself to blame", and then mission ends: image. I do the mission objectives and don't go away nowhere, but it still displays. maybe I'm stupid and don't speak english, but I don't understand it and can't play because of it!

It's part of ArmA's anti-piracy protection. You either are using an illegal copy of the game or something you are doing triggers the protection.

Quote[/b] ]

5. when driving vehicles with AI, and switching from driver to gunner position, my character says "fast" and AI starts move fast, even though I wanna hold.

Because that was the last order you gave your AI before you switched to driver. Now when you switch back your chracter gives the previous order. Make sure you tell them to halt before switching to driver and this wont happen.

Quote[/b] ]

6. Shilka can shoot from too far, this is impossible to destroy it with FFAR.

This is intentional. It is an AA system, it uses radar. I doubt a real chopper pilot would be dumb enough to attack one with FFARs. The chopper pilot would most likely end up dead.

Quote[/b] ]

15. increase visibility in Kamov (sometimes it's hard to distinguish the sky of ground/water, and easily to lost orientation). this is impossible to find any small targets like troops etc.: image1. also remove the damn panel in Ka-50 (can't see nothing looking at flank! ): image2.

Use the gun sights.

striker are still too slow on other surface than road.

40km/H for a 8x8 army vehicle is a shame.

From M1127 Styker specs :

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Cross Country Speed 20 mps (39 kt)

8. in The Armory (but I noticed that it happens also in missions! ), suddenly I get a message: "Good birds don't fly away from this game, I have only myself to blame", and then mission ends: image. I do the mission objectives and don't go away nowhere, but it still displays. maybe I'm stupid and don't speak english, but I don't understand it and can't play because of it!

I suggest you reinstall the game from your original DVD or digital download first using also your original serial number obtained when you purchased it.

Note that apart from this message you may experience few other irregularities that may not be so obvious.

And yes... Good birds don't fly away from this game, you have only yourself to blame

Because that was the last order you gave your AI before you switched to driver. Now when you switch back your chracter gives the previous order. Make sure you tell them to halt before switching to driver and this wont happen.
nope. it happenes also if my last command was "halt". my character still says "fast!" while switching position. I tryed differenct cfg and profile, but I still experience the same problem...
It is a gun with radar and a targeting computer that can calculate where to fire to hit its target... According to this it can engage air targets from 2 to 2.5 km.
oops... thx for your info. now I'll keep away biggrin_o.gif.
Use the gun sights.
I'm not going to. this is useless in online playing. once again I ask to improve visibility in Ka-50.

besides, thans for the replyes. now I can feel your support BI smile_o.gif.

<table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td>Code Sample </td></tr><tr><td id="CODE">Cross Country Speed 20 mps (39 kt)

mps = Meters per Second

kt = Knot

1 Meters per Second = 3.6 Kilometers per Hour

20 Meters per Second = 72 Kilometers per Hour

Use the gun sights.
I'm not going to. this is useless in online playing. once again I ask to improve visibility in Ka-50.

Why? You realise you can zoom out to get a wide FOV? The cockpit is suppose to resemble the real one. The handling of the KA-50 in the game is the problem, as well as the targeting/gun system, you will understand if you watch some real videos.

Quote[/b] ]

besides, thans for the replyes. now I can feel your support BI smile_o.gif.

Assuming that was sarcasm...You expect support when it seems that you are using a pirate version of the game? You haven't even denied it, so of course people will assume you didn't buy the game.

You have had your posting rights removed and they will stay removed until proof of purchase of ArmA is received.

Quote[/b] ]Quote (gL33k @ Jan. 05 2008,18:28)

Quote (Suma Jan. 08 2008,10:18)

Code Sample

Cross Country Speed 20 mps (39 kt)

20 mps (20m/sec) = 72 km/h

39 kts (nautical miles [=1.8km] per hour) = 70.2 km/h

so if the model in arma goes just 40 km/h it seems to be indeed 40% slower than the original

Quote[/b] ]Quote (gL33k @ Jan. 05 2008,18:28)

Quote (Suma  Jan. 08 2008,10:18)

Code Sample

Cross Country Speed 20 mps (39 kt)

20 mps (20m/sec) = 72 km/h

39 kts (nautical miles [=1.8km] per hour) = 70.2 km/h

so if the model in arma goes just 40 km/h it seems to be indeed 40% slower than the original

Quite right, you cant expect a 350hp engine to do only 40kmh on grassy land. Even a seat marbella can do that biggrin_o.gif

Oh and when you're on the stryker config, plz fix the grenade launcher recoil (for all grenade launchers actually)

It moves the complete vehicle around...

We are still losing our gear when swimming (and i don't know if the IA still have problem with crossing bridge ?)

The problem with the glass texture still there :

armaglazebug.jpg

Also the glass texture aren't enough transparent (mostly civil vehicles are affected by this), my real car glass aren't painted with some sort of white color. I think they need to be more transparent on all vehicle (i am not talking of the "dust style" on the glasses).

And the lights on the vehicle aren't powerful enough, they don't light the way far enough for you to drive safely. (here also my real car has much powerful light than the one BIS put in ArmA).

I remind to the dev readers that i also report the problem with using nvg inside the cockpit of vehicles where your vision fade to black (because of cockpit lights, because of "XXX" ?), and it's really annoying. I've never been able to fly a plane by night when using first person view.. always using third person if i want to see something. It's annoying as i am challenging myself to be the best as i can with first person view

The night goggles are also too many sensitive to light at a very far distance. (how can a fire at 500m or 1km of you, prevent you from seeing the path that lies before you).

And a bonus, we need more "basic content" (means that doesn't need a third party addons to get some new planes/vehicles/weapons). Currently i am happy with USMC equipment & vehicles.

But SLA equipment is missing a silenced rifle with zoom & grenade launcher with zoom, etc.. ; SLA vehicles is missing T80 & a new plane to confront with the A10.

I am enjoying most of my USMC game, but when i play SLA there are really few things missing.

Ok here's some feedback on the 1.09 beta patch which I just tested with a friend. I'll try to provide as much data as possible.

For testing I set up the 1.09 beta dedicated server on my second computer (AMD Athlon X2 4600+, 2GB DDR400 RAM). Server settings further below. The server is on my local network (100Mbps) and is running Windows XP 64bit with the latest updates.

My friend joined directly via my IP over the internet. My internet connection is DSL with ~6000Kbps down and ~666Kbps up. His connection is similar. Since I was hosting the server, my upload speed is probably the most relevant. I opened the ports 2302-2306 for the ArmA server on my router. The bandwidth config settings for the ArmA server were as follows:

Quote[/b] ]MinBandwidth = 384000;

MaxBandwidth = 650000;

MaxMsgSend = 256;

MaxSizeGuaranteed = 512;

MaxSizeNonguaranteed = 64;

MinErrorToSend = 0.005;

MaxCustomFileSize = 1600000;

Both my friend and I were running vanilla ArmA with beta patch 1.09 (no Queens Gambit since he doesn't have it) and we both had no custom files. We tested the latest version of Evolution Blue, which was only saved on the server before testing, so we both had to load it from the server when the mission started. Interestingly, even though I had a 100Mbps LAN connection to the server, the download took a long time to start and took a while to pick up speed.

In-game VoIP worked fine at first but started to break down after only a few minutes - it may have happened when we moved into Paraiso, causing the mission to spawn many enemy units. Although I could still hear him clearly, my voice was transferring badly until it finally stopped transferring altogether (but he could still see my lips move even when he couldn't hear me). I could still hear him perfectly though.

I tried leaving and then rejoining the server, which fixed the problem at first. But after a few minutes the same thing happened the other way around - he could hear me perfectly but his voice degraded to nothing (lip movement was still visible).

During the whole course of the test, his ping remained in the 50-60ms area. AI worked fine. General performance was great for both of us, as the 1.09 patch has definitely improved that.

The VoIP bug is definitely annoying and seems to occur even when there are few people on the server. It seems to be related to server load.

I noticed a very weird bug with vehicule, if you add a weapon to the vehicule with the add weapon command: example screenshot. You can actually select the weapon and fire with it! (you can see the tracers from a m240 shot fired with a ATGM stryker). It seems to work with any kind of weapons, i tried javelin, m240, m16a4 and of course m136.

If you try this on non-armed vehicule, you can pick the weapon but when you fire, you'll get a CTD.

I tested it out with vanilla 1.09 version and full moded arma and got the same results. I did not test it with 1.08, so i don't know if this issue is inherent to 1.09.

in Paraiso in square Fc55 there is 'fountain' on map to that fountain leads stairs

if AI squad is searching for enemy on the terrace they go in correctly on stairs but fails to use stairs to go back

so they keep falling from high alt and wound / die

this happens nearly with all such terrace places and stairs all over south sahrani

p.s. some people were in past days trying to convice me that AI in 1.09 can't see thru smoke (la DMviewblock on smokeshell)

any official word on that detail ? would be nice if true

We are still losing our gear when swimming

Yes, this most definitely should be fixed in the final patch.

Quote[/b] ]Yes, this most definitely should be fixed in the final patch.

I disagree. Ever tried to go swimming with a gun on your back ?

They maybe could lengthen the time interval before you drop the gun, but having people swim around with a machinegun on their back or AT weapons would look more than just surreal.

They maybe could lengthen the time interval before you drop the gun, but having people swim around with a machinegun on their back or AT weapons would look more than just surreal.

Agreed, they should just up the time it takes for the game to remove your weapons.

I disagree. Ever tried to go swimming with a gun on your back ?

Nope. But if I were a soldier and had to swim, I'd sooner loose all other items from the 20+ kg backpack than my gun and ammo. On enemy territory, your weapon is your life.

In ArmA, there is no option to drop backpack items to lighten the load, but you drop important items without even noticing it.

BTW, what do Navy Seals do on missions - use swear words on the enemy to scare them away? smile_o.gif

BTW, what do Navy Seals do on missions - use swear words on the enemy to scare them away? smile_o.gif

They are called "Navy Seals" for a reason, their clothes and equipement has been designed so they CAN keep their equipment.

I am bloody sure that most "normal" ground soldiers of this world aren't expected to/can tread water forever with anything more than their heavy wet uniforms.

I agree, just increase the time, or someone mod' them all as Seals wink_o.gif

Just installed the patch, the sky always seems to be one solid block of colour though...?

So, during the daytimes its just blue! How come?

took the time to install the patch. first accidently clicked the uninstaller. deleted files a10.pbo + signature for me, but nothing else (there's a post about this by dwarden already).

restored files. started arma 1.09:

poor performance without mods (no framerate increase for me ...with GF 6700 GS, 1GB RAM in case someone wants to know)

very VERY sluggish performance with some of the more popular mods (ArmaFX, DM Smoke, VFAI, Soundmod) activated. Shows very poor LOD loading. Trees come first with trunks and branches shown only (no leaves or smaller branches), then pops up more detail after 1-2 seconds. especially in the northern forest areas with lots of pine trees on screen. Seems I am one of the only few that would say that 1.08 worked WAY better and smoother, despite lots of important fixes.