Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

I'm shocked, and not at all impressed confused_o.gif

Announcing, and showing what look like pretty advanced ingame images, a sequel to a game which the developers know is bugged and in need of serious fixing.

I wouldn't be so disappointed if this was an announcement for a free "We're sorry for releasing ArmA in the state it is" -esque big fix, even re-release of ArmA, but it's not.

Not only is Queen's Gambit announced and being worked on, but a totally new project is now added.

Come on BIS mad_o.gif

One job at a time? Task management? Priorities? Public relations? Common sense?

What happened to the tools we were promised? What happened to sorting ArmA out? sad_o.gif

thumbs_down_uid.jpg

when they say "next gen", does that mean DX10 and multi-core support?

well i think its sweet Bi is still "keeping it strong in the hood" biggrin_o.gif

can't wait to play around with the new stuff in QB and also arma 2 whatever time it will take until it gets released i will get it too. but i really hope modders and people wont jump the boat cause of arma 2 yet, c'mon the damn game will probably take at least a year until release so there is still some time to explore arma and isn't the tools coming out this autumn? smile_o.gif

Somehow Arma 2 seems to have more special stuff and more special vehicles than arma 1, hope they will keep some of the arma 1 vehicles in arma 2 and maybe even remake alot of the ofp vehicles like m2a2 and stuff into arma 2 smile_o.gif

chill people i think Bi will release the tools soon enough, seriously they cant release arma 2 / game 2 already? And didnt Bi had 2 teams in chezch republic? So they probably have the man power to pull it off i think. Im gonna go and buy another copy of arma to help Bi tomorow, and will have an extra lan copy, rabbit warefare in arma in lan will have total extreme fun wiht my friends biggrin_o.gif

i have to agree with Cassandra

Quote[/b] ]beta or not, I've had plenty of fun with arma so far and when I consider how much I paid for the game, my entertainment is disgustingly cheap

from the community point of view, it is sad to think that modding will be split with the arrival of another game.. any projects people had in mind might be saved for the latest game to come out of bis' kitchen, leaving arma in a corner somewhere to collect dust.. on the other hand, bigger better faster stronger is seldom unwelcome

personally I love the idea of developers such as bis getting paid well for what they do to provide an excellent piece of software with amazing community support that alot of us seriously take for granted

I think this is good news

churnedfortaste

+1 WL for quoting an image and flaming (fanboi).

If arma2 goes for consoles it will not be realistic or simulator.Have you seen any simulator or realistic game for consoles?Its too risky for console players.

OFP Elite?

GR1? smile_o.gif

Im kinda scared by the lack of a decent feature list, i hope it will come in the next few days but i would really be dissapointed if they completely ditched the original Game2 idea.

But as we dont have any information at all except for these screens which show slightly updated ArmA graphics i wont make any assumptions yet.

Btw, im actually wondering... You people really didnt knew BI were already working on other stuff then ArmA? They already said so several times, even during the development of ArmA. (though in later stages they said the whole team was trying to finish ArmA in time, well, if i remember everything correctly, i cant seem to google it up..)

I can say that I've lost a lot of respect for BIS over the way they've handled (or not, more to the point) Armed Assault, and this announcement actually saddens me. Yes, saddens. I feel like BIS has turned into an EA-like organisation.

BIS isn't the largest developer, to say the least, and here they are, juggling working on an official addon pack, a fresh large scale project/sequel, and fixing the issues so so many customers are having with Armed Assault.

A lot of "fanboys" have, or are starting to lose faith. Having been here since the early days of OFP, I can tell you that the community has lost a lot of big profile/respected members, a lot of whom disappeared around the time ArmA was released, funnily enough.

I knew they were working on other things.

But after announcing Game 2 WAYYY Before ArmA.

I think thats kinda taking the easy / lazy way out in my opinon crazy_o.gif

Im happy about one thing though

Its East V West.Traditional Flashpoint.Aswell the awesome return of Spetz Natz & There Bizons wink_o.gif

Im in total agreement with Shashman. They better make ArmA 2 a damn good f*king game. Similiar to OFP, i want that feel of control back wink_o.gif

I am pleased about the annoncement, about the game.

It doesn`t look to bad in my opinion, and I will probably get it anyway since I didn`t get ARMA.

As usual though, can`t say to much without an in-game video.

I must say however that I am a bit surprised about all the negative comments.

Argh.. I better stop reading all this. I change from being negative to positive about this game each time I read a new post ^_^

Pros: Russians, Hind and the other units, map, terrain/enviroment/buildings, story to some extent.

Con: Looks too much as ArmA.

Pros and Con: pre-beta

Yeh but think of it this way man

Game 2 was announced long before ArmA.

Now everyone expected it to be extreme next gen. And now its just a step up arma, with maybe better graphics ( not likely ).

Oh and for the ones who did get ArmA. Yeah well after making you wait for a shit long time, after they finally get there act together with it all. They announce ArmA 2 confused_o.gif

Ill still get it though nener.gif For the simple fact i think the games awesome whistle.gifpistols.gif

Russians ( how awesome would it be to see a return of Guba and the OFP Chars notworthy.gif )

Ok, I have a pretty simple main improvement wishlist:

1 Much more noob friendly mission making

2 MP missions that come with the game much more TvT and realism oriented

3 Much more robust Squad/organization interface/functionality

4 Less buggy start

Everyone seems to be Bi-Polar...

So when is there an update for ArmA though?

We have to wait for official site. I think BIS is going to give us more informations about ArmA 2 and then we can speculate.

Quote[/b] ]
Quote[/b] ]

(Dallas @ Aug. 22 2007,01:27)

Exelent news.

I'm not at all offended by someone labeling ArmA as a beta. If you've liked ArmA since November, it's probably that kind of mindset that will carry you through even the rough and buggy times. ArmA was always intented to be an in-between game. Between OFP and Game 2. Ofcause ArmA seemed to have taken a life of it's own and has gotten continued support. I wouldn't mind if BIS decided to treat ArmA as a semi-beta for ArmA 2. Throwing ArmA players a bone, while completing ArmA 2.

This means BIS are getting funding, which will guarantee us running updates, tools and such. This is bad new for everyone who thought ArmA actually were Game 2, Who treated it as either OFP or something completely new. However to me, this is a happy day. First Mafia 2 and now signs that BIS will continue to develop the ArmA concept.

+1

The best medieval swordplay and mounted combat sim/game " Mount&Blade" is also a paid Beta that the communtiy helps the developers with. I guess when you prefer quality in a small niche sim market over the latest/greatest Billion dollar funded shooter these are the breaks.

Bring it on!

totally agreed with both.

Quote[/b] ]As for modding, the 'cost' of development skill and resource investment has in my opinion crossed the threshold to the point that it exceeds the personal satisfaction reward. In OFP, you could make a significant amount of contribution with a minimum of effort. With ArmA, and countless other current gen games, the complexity is too much for the avg modder. That is the price of eyecandy, you can't measure up.

It's been a fun ride while it lasted.

what a pessimistic statement, with progress comes compexity it's normal.

making an addon for arma today is nearly the same as it was in ofp, the main difference is for the texturer who has to do the normal, specular maps,... and it really worth it.

there are probably some new stuff in the lods too.

2 things for me that must absolutely be done in Arma II are :

- more precise pathfinding of AI :

AI should be able to visit buidings, shoot through windows and hide properly behind objects.

makes more sense if we have more enterable buildings,

I'd rather have smaller cities with enterable buildings than hundreds of big cubes.

don't know why... but very few ofp modmakers use to make buildings wish is in my opinion at least as important as the tank you fight or the gun you shoot.

- descructible environement :

AI shooting through brick walls, trying to kill what might be protecting behind.

any hope ArmaII will support multiple cores ?

would it make a big difference, or the bottleneck would be somewhere else ?

We have to wait for official site. I think BIS is going to give us more informations about ArmA 2 and then we can speculate.

torture.. always "alittle" of torture.. smile_o.gif

IMO BIs should be more worried about fixing issues with ArmA and thinking about releasing the queens gambit thing already..

crazy_o.gif

Let's not go overhyped on this..

smile_o.gif

All i see is ArmA with some new content, i don't see any next gen like i'm used to with crysis, bioshock, etc. DX10 should also look better, shouldn't it ? I even think my ArmA 1 is looking better right now then those screens. the colorsheme is still not right, same boring sky & water. i even can feel the anim's not responding.

good think is that they are working on it instead of keep patching ArmA 1, as i personaly don't see any future for it, there are so much bugs for "my taste", that it's better they go on and do it right this time, even doh the screens don't speek for it, but we all know that it meigt look totaly different within 1 year. i hope BIS is gonna get back to ofp 1.0 and rethink what it was, that magic around it. i don't need a 650km2 island, 50kg bearer feeling, anim's doing what they wanna do, laser tracers, realistic plastic sound, overdosed gfx not suitable for any setup, no real vista, dualcore, sli & AGEIA PhysX support, go for quad em all !!!wink_o.gif, place RPG elements as an additional option, let BIA do the sim, make a GAME(2). console is ok, the us marked will love it. don't surprise us, surprise yourself.

ArmA2, 08 o'clock, thx for the news and keep em coming...

guerilla @ Aug. 21 2007,19:37)]All i see is ArmA with some new content, i don't see any next gen like i'm used to with crysis, bioshock, etc. DX10 should also look better, shouldn't it ? I even think my ArmA 1 is looking better right now then those screens. the colorsheme is still not right, same boring sky & water. i even can feel the anim's not responding.

good think is that they are working on it instead of keep patching ArmA 1, as i personaly don't see any future for it, there are so much bugs for "my taste", that it's better they go on and do it right this time, even doh the screens don't speek for it, but we all know that it meigt look totaly different within 1 year. i hope BIS is gonna get back to ofp 1.0 and rethink what it was, that magic around it. i don't need a 650km2 island, 50kg bearer feeling, anim's doing what they wanna do, laser tracers, realistic plastic sound, overdosed gfx not suitable for any setup, no real vista, dualcore, sli & AGEIA PhysX support, go for quad em all !!!wink_o.gif, place RPG elements as an additional option, let BIA do the sim, make a GAME(2). console is ok, the us marked will love it. don't surprise us, surprise yourself.

ArmA2, 08 o'clock, thx for the news and keep em coming...

DX10 doesn't have a 'look' at all. It is merely a programming interface, packaging whatever artwork the developer makes in such as way that the system can turn it into pixels to display. You never see DX10, and you never see the 'advantages' DX10 gives the developer.

Great, lets starts the race!pistols.gif

the main reason for having ARMA2 have something to do with so called OFP2 i think,

so dont panic, as the game might not show up till early 2009(wanna bet? i can bet you anything on that :P) the only request i have to BI for now is to fix the ArmA(which shouldnt be too far from what we call "playable" stats) at the same time

dont forget that ArmA2 might be a DX10 game, if so its quite sure should be Vista only, develop upon Vista, which by that time should be more usable and bugs free with better driver support, so i cant see anything bad here

(even if its still DX9 game, BI would still have to do something to improve the engine perforemce which required a rewrite on the core code which cant be done in patch)

@shinRaiden

so we couldnt see much difference if BI simply change the code from DX9 to DX10 on the engine?

I just hope that they include weapon tied animations instead of player tied animations.
Quote[/b] ]They still havent included the function for addon makers to change where on the guns the hands are. I can see that purly from those screens.

Its possible. Simply memory points for each hand... Or at least the left one!

I already said what you said, in a different way.

PS. Mehman

Dododoo, dodo, dododo do! Mwuahahahaa!

I'm shocked, and not at all impressed confused_o.gif

Announcing, and showing what look like pretty advanced ingame images, a sequel to a game which the developers know is bugged and in need of serious fixing.

I wouldn't be so disappointed if this was an announcement for a free "We're sorry for releasing ArmA in the state it is" -esque big fix, even re-release of ArmA, but it's not.

Not only is Queen's Gambit announced and being worked on, but a totally new project is now added.

Come on BIS mad_o.gif

One job at a time? Task management? Priorities? Public relations? Common sense?

What happened to the tools we were promised? What happened to sorting ArmA out? sad_o.gif

[mg]http://futurelawyer.typepad.com/futurelawyer/images/thumbs_down_uid.jpg[/img]

You shouldnt take on it like that...

Arma improved alot in the past year but some things are not so easily fixed, improved or changed... for BIS to keep working on a game that already sold what it had to sell would be unreasonable, suicidal, etc.

They cant just program (i.e.) new a.i. or features and throw it out patch after patch untill you get yourself a whole new game... it doesnt work like that.

They are anouncing a new game and hopefully they will have the time and means to improve/rebuild many things on it (not just the graphics but build new features into it too).

Its something that might be far away but atleast its something to look forward to, remember when OPF2 was anounced back in 2003? wink_o.gif .

You're not going to cry a river because you didnt get 6 years worth of gameplay out of you 40€ wright? confused_o.gif .

My concern is when i see early promo screens with Arma content like the bad vehicle texes.

While its an early pic i realize, knowing how BIS does things...its going to be some old content mixed with new and people will be rolling their eyes "again" when Arma2 comes out.

Watching how things have gone over the last few years and seeing how BIS likes to keep old content kicking around...its hard to be optimistic.

But maybe they will suprise us. whistle.gif

US vs Russia....again? confused_o.gif