Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

So far all the difference I can see is that soldier taking cover behind the burnt out vehicle (is he leaning too..?).

i think hes dragging a soldier to cover.

i've seen this in a pic in this forum.. i asked, but i got no answer..

i bet we will be able to drag wounded soldiers.. biggrin_o.gif

Thanks to all sites which are not refering to the original source: miller from armabase.de informed me about the news...It's disgusting reading news everywhere and the little guy alone was watching many sites for any update  band.gif

It is my and his sparetime looking for updates on those mod/official sites and there are other persons just reading it and they don't have any decency to honor this, sometimes hard and nerving work... goodnight.gif

That kind of statement simply proves you are in this for yourself and personal gain. There are many many people who are members of the community who are just as observant and dedicated as you. Such a statement is quite frankly flawed and arrogant.

My suggestion to you, humility.

I also suggest you do not follow this train of thought up as it is not contributing to the discussion other than serving yourself.

"Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering large –scale game world, authentic and extremely detailed modern units, weapons, vehicles and enviroments, challenging single player and vast array of multiplayer options."

As far as i know, Game 2 should be a next generation game and so i would gues it is ArmA II...

Maybe they have been working harder on ArmA 2 all along, and ArmA 1 was there in order to fund it?

i suppose ArmA was there to help finance Game 2. however, ArmA 2 doesn't make the impression of Game 2: a completely new game.

instead, it looks like an add-on for ArmA, sold at full price. i hope BIS will make a statement soon.

beta or not, I've had plenty of fun with arma so far and when I consider how much I paid for the game, my entertainment is disgustingly cheap

from the community point of view, it is sad to think that modding will be split with the arrival of another game.. any projects people had in mind might be saved for the latest game to come out of bis' kitchen, leaving arma in a corner somewhere to collect dust.. on the other hand, bigger better faster stronger is seldom unwelcome

personally I love the idea of developers such as bis getting paid well for what they do to provide an excellent piece of software with amazing community support that alot of us seriously take for granted

I think this is good news

its madness...

This .. is .. Bohemia!!

No, sorry biggrin_o.gif

Just wondering myself, what about ArmA huh.gif

He beat you to it.

....You notice here BIS... 90% of all your "fans" are enraged right now... Get on your "announcement board" and make our frowns turn upside down!

Quote[/b] ]As far as i know, Game 2 should be a next generation game and so i would gues it is ArmA II

Ah so it was a guess, tanks for clearing that up. You had me worried Bis had ditched the RPG style game2 wow_o.gif

Summary:

BIS Team 1 - working on ArmA:Queen's Gambit

BIS Team 2 - working on ArmA 2 (previous as Game 2)

BIS/BIA - working on VBS2

Hope after release of QG addonpack BIS team will be able to connect on ArmA2's developing.

So far all the difference I can see is that soldier taking cover behind the burnt out vehicle (is he leaning too..?).

i think hes dragging a soldier to cover.

i've seen this in a pic in this forum.. i asked, but i got no answer..

i bet we will be able to drag wounded soldiers.. biggrin_o.gif

Sry I mean the other pic, dude with his gun held up.

I remember first noticing this sort of feature in... Nocturne. Came out 8 years ago. So I'm not THAT excited, but it does bode well if it means the cover system is improved.

Oh and wasn't there an OFP mod that allowed you to drag injured ppl?

whistle.gif

Still, if ArmA 2 lives up to their hype then bring it on, sooner the better. Anyone who's seen VBS2 already knows they're capable of much more, hell if they released THAT as ArmA 2 I'd run out n buy it in a flash. smile_o.gif

please, please, please, please, pleeeasee

Make the vehicles like 2009!!!!!

And dont mismatch army/marine corps vehicles

I know it will be fixed as soon as the tools are out, but come on, you guys know military stuff as good as the community???

notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif Still it looks notworthy.gifnotworthy.gif

Quote[/b] ]As far as i know, Game 2 should be a next generation game and so i would gues it is ArmA II

Ah so it was a guess, tanks for clearing that up. You had me worried Bis had ditched the RPG style game2 wow_o.gif

i could be wrong, but didn't BIS (or people close to them) say that ArmA was supposed to be the gap filler between OpF and Game 2?

Oh this day begins with good news i like the idea of having ArmA 2 in 1 or 2 years on my Computer. For me as Modder it doesn´t make much difference to work on OFP, ArmA, ArmA 2 or what ever it is all about fun.

Okay i have to say i was 100% sure the new project will be Game2 so it is no suprise for me at all but i wasn´t expecting this Releasedate. I thought 2009 or even 2010 would be the way to go biggrin_o.gif

Anyone got a Link where i can preorder it biggrin_o.gif

I feel the same way.....

lets say ARMA2 is out.....

you go buy it, install it....

best case scenario is that it gives you an option to patch your old arma into an extra addon in the new arma2 set up... and you spend another 40 euros.

40 euros is really nothing. How much do you spend on a movie ticket? and you get 2 hours.

worst case scenario is that there is a big difference and it will definitely split the mod community...

Im just happy that i can play a game like this on a console when it does come out.

MORE!

MORE!

MORE!

2 years is still along time away.... lots of time to pistols.gif some AI smile_o.gif

"Arma 2 is based on the latest generation technology, offering bla bla bla bla...

from a crisis old video, they show the real latest generation technology.

destructible vegetation, physics, "dynamic" smoke in special ocasions.

From these pics i see they are still "bad"...

ok, i know its still 1 year or more or work.. but these pics as news.. comon... crazy_o.gif

they should give us some Video as news..

Alot of people will be pissed of about this.. and im sure it will rain "warnings"

Summary:

Hope after release of QG addonpack BIS team will be able to connect on ArmA2's developing.

Yeah lets try to collect the information we have and compare it with the situation: two teams programming two games Armed Assault and a next generation game called 'game 2'

There is an addon going to be released Q3, we know this is Queens Gambit.

There was no other team working on other things...and why the hell the should only sell ArmA II as ArmA HQ with more buildings, more vehicles...so there will be many improvements on the graphics and the gameplay over the next year...

So hold on, until we see some movies from the GC showing some ingame footage and then, we are could carefully guess how does it feel and if it is going to some real successor xmas_o.gif

edit: 'next generation' and 'latest' are equivocal for BIS wink_o.gif

if they are all working on QG and arma2 i'm assuming then that they probably dont intend to fix anymore problems with arma1, or i suppose they could include some fixes with QG

Make the vehicles like 2009!!!!!

And dont mismatch army/marine corps vehicles

I know it will be fixed as soon as the tools are out, but come on, you guys know military stuff as good as the community???

What's with the vehicles on those screens? I'm sure all of them will be still in active service in 2009. Come on, it's just two years...

Summary:

Yeah lets try to collect the information we have and compare it with the situation: two teams programming two games Armed Assault and a next generation game called 'game 2'

There is an addon going to be released Q3, we know this is Queens Gambit.

There was no other team working on other things...and why the hell the should only sell ArmA II as ArmA HQ with more buildings, more vehicles...so there will be many improvements on the graphics and the gameplay over the next year...

So hold on, until we see some movies from the GC showing some ingame footage and then, we are could carefully guess how does it feel and if it is going to some real successor xmas_o.gif

edit: 'next generation' and 'latest' are equivocal for BIS wink_o.gif

I would like to remember:

Drop of FPS in vegetation is caused by overdaw, it means that grafic card is not able to draw so many pixels that scene needs. When GC draw scene, it automatically cut hiden pixels, BUT only if this pixels are not alphatransparent. Vegetation is builded from polygons with some opacity textures, so this cuting (early Z test on HW) not work here. There is no simple solution, better performance will be with low shading detail settings (simplified pixel shader), but overdraw is still there. Also using of worst LODs will not help so match, because less polygons means worst tree shape aproximation and final surface (what is most important for overdraw reduction) will be similar. We are still woring on some research in this area.

Any improvements?

Yes, we found solution how to reduce overdraw about 25%, but this solution need diferent representation of tree surfaces and vertexes (diferent model and binarisation of this model and diferent way, how to switch vegetation lods). So it's not usable for curent vegetation data and will be used in next projects. Alphatextures mean also masked textures (that is 1bit transparency or opacity if you want and we use them)

Looks like we have official improvements already in vegetation for ARMA2.

So far we have nice info.. A video would be much better indeed.

Go BIS! smile_o.gif

Exelent news.

I'm not at all offended by someone labeling ArmA as a beta. If you've liked ArmA since November, it's probably that kind of mindset that will carry you through even the rough and buggy times. ArmA was always intented to be an in-between game. Between OFP and Game 2. Ofcause ArmA seemed to have taken a life of it's own and has gotten continued support. I wouldn't mind if BIS decided to treat ArmA as a semi-beta for ArmA 2. Throwing ArmA players a bone, while completing ArmA 2.

This means BIS are getting funding, which will guarantee us running updates, tools and such. This is bad new for everyone who thought ArmA actually were Game 2, Who treated it as either OFP or something completely new. However to me, this is a happy day. First Mafia 2 and now signs that BIS will continue to develop the ArmA concept.

There's no way they would be announcing ArmA 2 if they weren't confident that it was going to be great, which it could very well be, maybe team 2 working on ArmA 2 is light years better than team 1 working on the first one?

Ooh, I really hope they make it a hardcore realism game, realistic firefights and AI, realistic voice acting e.t.c xmas_o.gif

Personally, I have no reason to be outraged or overjoyed by this, as I haven't seen enough of Arma 2 to come to a conclusion about it...

And comparison between "ArmA 2" and "Game 2". In my opinion, I've better feeling from "Game 2" alpha screens. Even they're two years old, it's just better. As someone already said, "ArmA 2" looks like another ArmA expansion, unlike "Game 2" which looks like a true "new game"...

Exelent news.

I'm not at all offended by someone labeling ArmA as a beta. If you've liked ArmA since November, it's probably that kind of mindset that will carry you through even the rough and buggy times. ArmA was always intented to be an in-between game. Between OFP and Game 2. Ofcause ArmA seemed to have taken a life of it's own and has gotten continued support. I wouldn't mind if BIS decided to treat ArmA as a semi-beta for ArmA 2. Throwing ArmA players a bone, while completing ArmA 2.

This means BIS are getting funding, which will guarantee us running updates, tools and such. This is bad new for everyone who thought ArmA actually were Game 2, Who treated it as either OFP or something completely new. However to me, this is a happy day. First Mafia 2 and now signs that BIS will continue to develop the ArmA concept.

but you don't charge 40 euro for a beta.

and if ArmA 2 is indeed that mysterious Game 2, then why does it still (obviously) use the old engine?

i think that's what's pissing people off. that and the fact that ArmA had a terrible singleplayer part. and the SP campaign was something that OpF was famous for.

Why do people get so upset?

Who cares if its Arma under a new theme.Revised engine.Its how things work.

Let them make games , its a tough world. Can't hold them to what is said yet.They needed to say something to stay in the game

It does take years to develop a game engine.Its still being developed

I am not impressed with the theme tho

BIS does have to make money and have to live unfortunately. I dont think arma gave them that big an income boost, so they can only support it for so long before they have to find alternate sources of income. This time, hopefully with publishers decided and aware from very early on, they can put up a good pr campaign and increase their revenue, which will mean they will be able to support the game for longer with patches and bugfixes. That's my theory anyway...

hopes and wishes, from a positive perspective:

-The fact that its a brand new engine may mean that the annoying bugs such as mp locality issues, animation problems, etc, will be fixed.

-BIS knows what they want now, and can build the engine accordingly, destorying limitations on the way.

-BIS releases the tools without waiting for another year after release, hence that the community can start right away, rather than halting once again.

-The fact that its being released in consoles may mean better and easier to control squad command system, without losing the possibilities of the old system.

-And i do hope BIS gives themselves slightly more time than only one year.

-silly Personal wish: ability to steady weapons anywhere like in red orchestra!

All in all, being a fanboi, i will buy it anyway, but i will only recommend it and not moan about it if bis fix the few quirks and faults in arma here and there, plus add a few cool new and unexpected features. (such as ai taking cover!wink_o.gif

Exelent news.

+1

The best medieval swordplay and mounted combat sim/game " Mount&Blade" is also a paid Beta that the communtiy helps the developers with. I guess when you prefer quality in a small niche sim market over the latest/greatest Billion dollar funded shooter these are the breaks.

Bring it on!

Great news, I must say I am smilling biggrin_o.gif

Looking forward to the next piece of info we can get.