Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

2008 doesn´t sound like a reasonable date for me as betatesting

would run short again, as with Arma, and the result of this is sitting on our computers. A game with good potential taken down but a serious number of bugs and flaws.

Don't worry, Czech and German customers will do the main part of betatesting just as it was with Arma. And the best is: you have to pay for it rofl.gif

I cant believe you guys.....admit the only reason alot of us brought ArmA was thinking about the future possibilitys, about having a well supported and solid game. Its been over 8 months since the initial release of ArmA and we're still wondering where the tools are and why we only seem to get the odd patch every few months.

And now we know why right....Im glad some of you can see this for what it is and the whole "No-one forced you to buy this game" bs is laughable.

i agree on every Balschoiw's word.

I have the feeling that BIS "needs" to release ARMA2 because CodeFeckers are moving along with their project OFP2, and they already have a promissing awsome new video.

And what about BIS? What they have?

BIS just have a web site with 4 random pics and some ARMA1 recent pics to show..

"we need to hurry the hell up." - Thats what i believe what they are thinking right now.. and it looks really sad confused_o.gif

I cant believe you guys.....admit the only reason alot of us brought ArmA was thinking about the future possibilitys, about having a well supported and solid game. Its been over 8 months since the initial release of ArmA and we're still wondering where the tools are and why we only seem to get the odd patch every few months.

And now we know why right....Im glad some of you can see this for what it is and the whole "No-one forced you to buy this game" bs is laughable.

How long between OFP release and tools release?

*sigh*

All the previously released news on Game 2, is that non-existant now i mean a fully dynamic campaign?

We have dynamic campaings in flight sims, RTS's so why not FPS's

I think BIS have a chance to do something truely amazing with the whole concept of single player campaigns.

How long between OFP release and tools release?

*sigh*

...You know what... forget it. hah I could go on but ofcourse mongo like candy.

amááázing,a year of no-news about Game2 got the best of me and I bought ArmA and a new GPU to be able to play it (all lowed down and still overheating)... and they suddenly come out of the closet.

Seems thesame with me buying the Geforce FX series and Nvidia admitting a week later they didn't really improve much but the shader model while making the price tag 300 euro's higher smile_o.gif .

$50 saying Bohemia will run out of cash to finish ArmA2 whistle.gif .

Just on a sidenote: many retailers in holland don't even know Flashpoint had a sequel, online buying is about the only way here, I've only seen one copy at schiphol airport... way to go!!

p.s. They do seem a bit more interested when they know it's the sequel... kinda shows what can be accieved by simple advertising whistle.gif

If ArmA II == ArmA + total mod, then it's bad. Nothing new.

If ArmA II really brings something new, like the original Game2 concept originally should have (RPG and dynamic SP campaign element), then all the best.

Can I just bring up some major improvement brought up (for me) by ArmA over OFP, that warrant (again, for me) a nice "fun per $" ratio :

- JiP. I've quit OFP over horrible MP experience (looking at a black and green list of names for hours and hours).

- Size & scale.

- Ballistics. OFP is nowhere near.

That may not be what you were looking for initially, but that's what ArmA has brought up. If you don't like it, then it's not a game for you, warranted. You *sighed* at "yeah, super, a 400 sq-km island that I don't care of"? You don't care because you want low size, low scale engagements, and you were seeking something else in ArmA? That was not the direction taken by BI. You may not like that, but it's their decision. I'll try to make the best out of it.

All this to say, my ArmA is not that bad, and I can have tons of fun out of it.

So a follow up is not that a bad news.

+ seeing the past experience in BI product support (how long did they support OFP while working on Res, OFP:E and ArmA?), I've not yet given up hope on seeing ArmA still improved.

Now, ArmA II, what I'd hope to see new :

- good, very good, remarkable SP experience. What was originally intended for Game2, for example. ArmA was a huge let-down in this matter.

- MP cheat taken into account.

I don't care about the graphics and such, leave that to "next gen", "advanced" games, they can have their fluffy real time calculated moving leaves that doesn't bring an inch of gameplay if they want.

But we still have ZERO clue about what will be implemented, it still can be a huge let down, or an excellent news. No one knows atm.

Which doesn't stop the community to write tons of text and failure omens, obviously :P

Any game from BIS are welcomed, I will pay for Queen Gambit and ArmA 2, And the time to make fallujah for 3 games.

Ok, Mr I-got-totally-suckered-by-the-marketing-bs-so-I'm-demanding-anybody-but-me-justify-my-money-whoring, would you care to proffer an explanation of how to apply asynchronous multi-threading to a linearly sequential simulation system? I'm eagerly awaiting your profound wisdom, nobody else has made a comparable game that actually utilizes multiple threading.

Since you so clearly know how to do such high level process scheduler control programming, what are you doing spamming here, and why aren't you making your own game?

Maybe by using this?

http://www.techspot.com/news....ry.html

If nothing else, I'd also expect the next game to make use of multi-cores..

If arma2 goes for consoles it will not be realistic or simulator.Have you seen any simulator or realistic game for consoles?Its too risky for console players.

Ummmm, yeah I have seen a simulation on consoles.... Operation flashpoint elite.

Your logic is not so good or the case for your theory....

Yeah !....

And maybe we'll have the same stupid cheats working on ofp and arma...

Dunno whether or not it was sarcasm pal, but they actually do work on both games afaik and as far as our research can tell. That's the most irritating thing with ArmA for us and maybe for some other folks around.

If arma2 goes for consoles it will not be realistic or simulator.Have you seen any simulator or realistic game for consoles?Its too risky for console players.

Ummmm, yeah I have seen a simulation on consoles.... Operation flashpoint elite.

Your logic is not so good or the case for your theory....

If OPF:Elite did anything it proved a realistic combat sim could work on a console.

What do Kebabs and announcments such as BIS' and CM's have in common? They both leave this strange, nasty, bitter-bad taste in your mouth after you have swallowed and enjoyed it during the first moments of consumption.

I have become highly sceptical about products that can "only" shine with screenshots or some hollywood-style teaser. Moreover, as it is pretty obvious why BIS actually had to post anything about game 2, that taste just doesn't want to go away. Chewing gum anyone?

Edit: It's Kebab, not Kebap. Apologies to all Turks and the like.

Can't we all just get along? smile_o.gif

[whisper]he's back...[/whisper] welcome.gif

Rekrul:

Quote[/b] ]Wow, BIS announces that Game2 will be called Arma2 and 90% of the board turns into idiots?

Game2 was announced a million years ago and BIS stated I don't know how many times, that Arma was just something for us to play with until Game2 is ready.

Amen

Heatseeker:

Quote[/b] ]Graphically Arma is more than good enough imo.

Amen

I don't want any extra gfx stuff (well, maybe besides optimalisation), no more eye candy. They have the engine, now, let's focus on the AI, promissed/suggested game2 features and missionmaking.

The only thing that actually concerns me is the fact that even b4 ArmA, game2 shots looked better than the ones they show us now. I really need to compare them once again to be sure though. Of course you can't moan about certain things now, since what we have, are just some pre-beta shots, but they really seem to be different from the old game2 ones, moreover, more ArmA-like, which of course doesn't mean they're bad or something...

I really hope ArmA2 = Game2 confused_o.gif

And the East vs West thingy is quite cool, more political, than ArmA perhaps...Anyway, we have to wait.

Did no-one notice that in the helicopter screens the terrain actually looks like its drawn differently than when you're infantry to allow for a massive draw distance like in flight sims...?

From what I've seen, this game is looking amazing. I have the odd feeling that whatever BIS would've shown, most people here still would've moaned.

[...] I have the odd feeling that whatever BIS would've shown, most people here still would've moaned.

Yep, i thought it would be a typical german quirk to moan about everything, but these forums told me the damn truth about it wink_o.gif

Perhaps BIS is holding back the real featurs list, because they don't want to make the same mistake they did with ArmA, which means promising features which can't make it into the game (animals for example)

The good news is that the development continues with the next ambitious project thumbs-up.gif

I give BIS credit for being the only company out there who really has the courage to drive gameplay to a new experience (freedom, expansion, programmer interface) so concessions will have to be made in regards to the usual stupid roadmapping / patching portfolio. Leave that to mainstream publishers, focus on seriously improving the next game and I am happy.

Now that we talk about improving: an object-oriented script language, ragdoll physics instead of static animations, better documentation for programmers biggrin_o.gif

Cheers,

VictorFarbau

I just hope for three things:

1 - Please don't make me buy a new computer again.

2 - Try to make ARMA addons work directely in ARMA 2.

3 - This time do it slowly to avoid the unecessary ammount of bugs ARMA had in the beggining.

This time if we change, let's try to do it for a lot better.

3 - This time do it slowly to avoid the unecessary ammount of bugs ARMA had in the beggining.

Nope. Expect a race with Codemaster to spit it out first instead.

Jesus Christ.

BI announce a game for approximately 2 years into the future and you get THIS. None of you even know what this game is like, whether it has dynamic gameplay etc.

I can't believe some of what i'm reading in this topic....the whole 'ArmA is just forcing us to betatest for ArmA2' thing? You a) didn't have to buy arma, there were alot of overwhelmingly negative reviews, but you made the choice, and b) are you honestly telling me that a computer game company is not allowed to release a sequel in 2 years time? How long must they wait? What's acceptable? Because most other game franchises push thier games out alot quicker than that.

Seriously guys. What. The. Fuck? Are some of you seriously saying you'd prefer to not have had ArmA and instead have waited another 2 years for the next game? During which time BI would have either run out of money and folded, meaning you'd never get your sequel, or they would be working on releasing VBS at around this time, in which case you lot would then be foaming at the mouth right now because you'd all be accusing BI of selling out and forgetting thier gamer fanbase.

I wonder how many people on the strength of this announcement have just shelved any intent of working on ArmA content? I also wonder how many people have reverted back to OFP when ArmA didn't get the BIS support they expected?

Personally, I think this has everything to do with trying to beat Codemasters to the finish line. Can't watch the ofp2 vid at work, but I'll check it out at home tonight.

Oh, and if ArmA was only ever supposed to tide us over to Game2, why did they even bother releasing any patches? Lets face it, ArmA has been a cash cow for BIS, and I think in the long run it will sting them in the ass because people will lose faith in their methods.