Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

Pathy, I know what you're getting at, but 2008 conceivably means 4 months away, and at max 16 months. Not exactly 2 years. We all know that it's likely to be pushed back, but that's not what we've been told, and as you say, we don't KNOW anything about the game yet. It might well be a much more polished, beta tested game than either OFP 1.0 and ArmA initial releases were. (Past history suggests this is unlikely but...)

Ahh right because the two years till the next game are just going to fly by, no need to make custom content or patch the game, is there?

Cash cow? Would you rather BI instead go bust and you never get your sequel?

Edit: Fair enough but I don't know of any game in history thats ever been released on deadline or earlier biggrin_o.gif I fully plan to make content.

Oh and i meant 2 years after the release of ArmA. wink_o.gif

I think the best decision would be shifiting the release date back behind the CM release so that people can work with the just released O2 for a while and that ArmA 2 won't collide with OFP 2(although I doubt that it'll be released in 2008, too) AND that BIS has enough time to make ArmA 2 a real game 2.

Quote[/b] ]Did anyone noticed the recently released Teaser for the Codies OFP2? Guess it's rendered.

That is rendered animation. Because if it is not, I most definately want the gear that runs that amount of detail realtime!

Has anybody seen any real ingame clips of the OFP2 yet? I have not.

Quote[/b] ]Seriously guys. What. The. Fuck? Are some of you seriously saying you'd prefer to not have had ArmA and instead have waited another 2 years for the next game?

No, but I´d like to see Arma fixed first and then moving on to another sequel.

If they plan to leave Arma in 1.08 state and go full throttle for Arma 2 (what has to be expected, keeping in mind that 2008 is very near already) I will feel cheated.

Arma was released and BIS acknowledged that it was released bugged and hurried and for money-reasons.

Today we hear about a sequel scheduled for next year while the original, Arma, is still bugged and BASIC features like pathfinding do not really work at all (bridges). Along with a list of bugs that are not fixed (foliage, AI, render errors, etc....) this leaves the impression that Arma itself can not be made bugfree, or BIS are not interested in doing that.

The proper (read customer friendly way) would be:

- fix Arma and iron out all the showstoppers that are present in big amounts

- develope an expansion that is worth the name expansion

- fix the bugs that will most likely come with the expansion

- move on with a sequel

and not topple the complete scene, leave the Arma 1 customers with their unfinished and unfixed product, sell an expansion for a still bugged game and reach out for new shores with Arma 2.

Personally I hate what it happening right now. The owners of Arma 1 are left with something unfinished, get an expansion for an unfinished product and should be looking forward on another product ?

Sorry, but that´s not the way I think it should be handled.

Grant us support for the product we have first, then try to make some more money with us.

For me it's all fine if the following conditions are met:

[*] BI Continues ArmA Patching after Queens Gambit Release (1.08 fixed the game enough for me to wait a few months for more patches)

[*] Mod tools come out before the end of this year (I had a laugh at some who said we were already waiting for longer than a year, with the game not even being out a year in Czech, let alone the rest of the world :P)

I hope most of the Announced Game2 Elements will come in ArmA2, most can actually already be done with ArmA or actually OFP anyway, as it's mainly addon/mission scripting what's needed for it...

I hope for DX10.1 and when possible MultiCore support but as some have already pointed out, the whole game concept might simply not be compatible with it as some might think. Comparing to other games has completely no use, there is no concept that is like OFP/ArmA unless im missing out on info.

I hope it will be more optimized than ArmA, esp on the bush-side (which it seems it will, reading the post about 25% overdraw reduction in future products), altough I never been a budget/mid-range type of guy so have always had high-end systems and always will, but prolly those who bought a new budget/mid-range system for ArmA might have to do with very-low settings on ArmA2... I guess that's how it goes.

I'm perfectly fine with BIS having multiple teams, of which some will continue to work on ArmA while others are working on ArmA2 or whatever project might come. As long as that's how it will be; one of those teams or part of those teams is going back to enhance ArmA, after queens gambit release smile_o.gif

[*] Mod tools come out before the end of this year (I had a laugh at some who said we were already waiting for longer than a year, with the game not even being out a year in Czech, let alone the rest of the world :P)

They are out now yay.gif .

Quote[/b] ]No, but I´d like to see Arma fixed first and then moving on to another sequel.

If they plan to leave Arma in 1.08 state and go full throttle for Arma 2 (what has to be expected, keeping in mind that 2008 is very near already) I will feel cheated.

Given that they've announced an expansion pack very soon, i'd say the chances of ArmA remaining at 1.08 are very unlikely. How about we all wait and see what that brings rather than jumping to conclusions now. It may well be that there are major fixes in the expansion. Who knows. You don't, i don't. You may or not be right. But 14 pages of accusations and people threatening to 'jump ship' (go ahead smiley, you will not be missed) based off assumptions is utter bullshit.

Quote[/b] ]Seriously guys. What. The. Fuck? Are some of you seriously saying you'd prefer to not have had ArmA and instead have waited another 2 years for the next game?

No, but I´d like to see Arma fixed first and then moving on to another sequel.

Arma was released and BIS acknowledged that it was released bugged and hurried and for money-reasons.

Today we hear about a sequel scheduled for next year while the original, Arma, is still bugged and BASIC features like pathfinding do not really work at all (bridges). Along with a list of bugs that are not fixed (foliage, AI, render errors, etc....) this leaves the impression that Arma itself can not be made bugfree, or BIS are not interested in doing that.

The proper (read customer friendly way) would be:

- fix Arma and iron out all the showstoppers that are present in big amounts

- develope an expansion that is worth the name expansion

- fix the bugs that will most likely come with the expansion

- move on with a sequel

and not topple the complete scene, leave the Arma 1 customers with their unfinished and unfixed product, sell an expansion for a still bugged game and reach out for new shores with Arma 2.

Personally I hate what it happening right now. The owners of Arma 1 are left with something unfinished, get an expansion for an unfinished product and should be looking forward on another product ?

Sorry, but that´s not the way I think it should be handled.

Grant us support for the product we have first, then try to make some more money with us.

110% Agree on everything you just said Balschoiw

Guest RKSL-Rock
Im not sure what tactics BIS are using atm. But i can assure if, if game2 proves to be another arma with different packaging and setting, i will be jumping ship.

Bye then.

Seriously you are all crying over nothing more than a few screenshots. Grow up for god's sake!

They are out now yay.gif .

Well there yeh go... for sjizzlemynizzle... holy cow ... yay.gif

Quote[/b] ]i'd say the chances of ArmA remaining at 1.08 are very unlikely.

Marek already said in an interview that QG´s version will be 1.08 whistle.gif

Im not sure what tactics BIS are using atm. But i can assure if, if game2 proves to be another arma with different packaging and setting, i will be jumping ship.

Bye then.

Seriously you are all crying over nothing more than a few screenshots.  Grow up for god's sake!

precisely what he said, half a dozen alpha or beta images and everyone is prophetizing from the top of their lungs, or starting some weird guerrila movement. Pesonaly, i cant wait to buy ArmA II, im sure it will be much better than than your average 6 month lifespan FPS. still, americans in ex-CCCP central asia ...huh? oh well

And do not be surprised if the new Codemasters OFP2 turns out to be more like BF2 clone than the original OFP. wink_o.gif

Pathy, I don't even play ArmA. I went back to OFP when my machine wouldn't handle it after doing ok on the demo. OFP has far more interest for me apart from a lack of MP goodness anymore, but I'm content in creating SP missions for myself to tide me over till I can afford a new PC. I would have bought one for ArmA, but what's the point? No one can agree what works with the damned thing. One person's "must have" component is someone elses nightmare.

I'm totally non plussed about the idea of the expansion pack. The fact it's being released so close to the impending release of a whole new game seems very badly thought out. I don't understand the whole point of releasing any news about ArmA2 at this stage. BIS can surely have envisaged a response such as this thread? And as a business decision, surely they could have stolen a march on Codemasters by releasing ingame video, something we've not seen from them.

It all just smacks of amateurism and bad business practice and I don't think any of us should be surprised if it goes tits up again. Those who want to continue to support BIS can spend their money how they like. I'll wait and see what happens, and like I said, I need a new PC before I buy any further games anyway.

Marek already said in an interview that QG´s version will be 1.08 whistle.gif

And that means that ArmA will remain forever on v1.08 bal?

Quote[/b] ]The fact it's being released so close to the impending release of a whole new game seems very badly thought out.

Some games have expansions after few months and new version within a year. After two years or three  they are sold as bundled discount packs. Do not forget new computer generations appear about in two year cycles.

But the tools are out. I have something to do now...

YES! It looks like OFP again, was sick of the new look ArmA had.

The vegetation really looks impressive in this new game. Hopefuly this game is what ArmA 1 should have been.

Very good news BIS

just please make sure you're still committed to improve arma1.

Quote[/b] ]And that means that ArmA will remain forever on v1.08 bal?

I certainly don´t hope so as another major patch , dealing with all those bugs that are indeed not minor ones, is badly needed.

Still, with QG coming with 1.08 I don´t see that happening anytime soon.

Marek already said in an interview that QG´s version will be 1.08  whistle.gif

And that means that ArmA will remain forever on v1.08 bal?

Exactly.. BIS will definitly bring out another patch after QG.. there is still too many bugs..

that seems interesting. BIS vs Codemaster (Arma2 vs Ofp2). really really interesting.

BIS, in my opinion, have a really intelligent attitude. they don't want to see "their gamers" gone to play at ofp2. so they announce Arma2.

i hope that this competition will do of Arma2 a great game; because Arma is just tons of bugs, and it is not really interesting, in comparison with ofp.

good luck BIS smile_o.gif

ps: oh no!! usa vs post-soviet (please, this is not really imaginative sad_o.gif )

i'm fed up with american and soviet weapons. why not? an european army vs someone else

Yess!! It's coming for Xbox 360! inlove.gif Why do I say 360? Because it's easier to program on that one. smile_o.gif

Jesus Christ.

BI announce a game for approximately 2 years into the future and you get THIS. None of you even know what this game is like, whether it has dynamic gameplay etc.

I can't believe some of what i'm reading in this topic....the whole 'ArmA is just forcing us to betatest for ArmA2' thing? You a) didn't have to buy arma, there were alot of overwhelmingly negative reviews, but you made the choice, and b) are you honestly telling me that a computer game company is not allowed to release a sequel in 2 years time? How long must they wait? What's acceptable? Because most other game franchises push thier games out alot quicker than that.

Seriously guys. What. The. Fuck? Are some of you seriously saying you'd prefer to not have had ArmA and instead have waited another 2 years for the next game? During which time BI would have either run out of money and folded, meaning you'd never get your sequel, or they would be working on releasing VBS at around this time, in which case you lot would then be foaming at the mouth right now because you'd all be accusing BI of selling out and forgetting thier gamer fanbase.

Quoted for Truth

thumbs-up.gif