Sign in to follow this  
telejunky

ArmA 2

I really hope this has an in depth story line, I would wait another 4 years if they could completely reinvent this, not just make it into another heartless so-called 'simulator'... Do me proud BIS wink_o.gif

I just hope that they can really overhaul the Close Quarter Urban Skills of the AI.

They need to be able to seek cover, use the corners of walls, lean and fire,  fire from behind vehicles, strafe, etc, etc... There's no point in having large cities and towns if the AI can't utilise their surroundings effectivley.

And I'd be extremley happy if they can implement something similar to Full Spectrum Warriors control for sending troops to where you want. i.e the movement cursor adapts to area you move it and the soldiers automatically stack up realistically against corners of buildings and lean out.

I wonder if they've taken anything on board from the Game 2 suggestion forum?

*crosses fingers*

Quote[/b] ]and if ArmA 2 is indeed that mysterious Game 2, then why does it still (obviously) use the old engine?

banghead.gif

You're still missing the point!

It has been said time and time again; BIS continuously develops their Poseidon engine, they don't make a new one for each game, do you think BIS could really afford that? Hell even DICE supported by EA did the same with the BF engine.

Also do you think there would have been so many addons released for ArmA now if it wasn't developed from the same basic engine?

Click HERE to download the The Poseidon prototype engine from 1997 to see what eventually turned into OFP/VBS/Elite/ArmA/VBS2 and later ArmA2.

/me wants a 50% discount of ArmA 2 if you already own ArmA

Well if they are reading this, I have a wishlist for them, not too much to ask.

-My biggest peeve is that the cities are empty, Fill the towns with cars and civilians, even though theres a war, the town's shouldn't be empty ghost towns, it makes you feel like your fighting over empty buildings!

-Make sure the AI can't super own you headshot from 1000 Meters away with a basic rifle!

-Improve AI other then above

-Give us a more in depth campaign and better Multiplayer tools

After reading the first 5 pages: If this turns into another BI bashing thread then it gets locked faster then lightning. smile_o.gif

As for the "beta" complainers: No one forced you to buy ArmA and there was a lot of reviews pointing out the negative aspects.

I personally wouldn't bet a rusty nail that we'll see it in 2008. When was ArmA announced first, and when it was released? wink_o.gif

Looks interesting, but unless there are a few major improvements from Arma, I'm not 100% sure I'll buy it. Armed Assault is fun, yea, but it feels like a budget game.

Still, it's going to be a year or two, so I'm probably speaking too soon.

I find it very hard to believe that the game will be completely improved in a worthwhile way in about a year. Let them work on fixing up what we have now before rushing out a new game. I hope like ArmA's original release date (was it something like 2004? Cant remember) that its a bit too generous. Still, good work BIS!

If arma2 goes for consoles it will not be realistic or simulator.Have you seen any simulator or realistic game for consoles?Its too risky for console players.

Interesting news for me i strongly hope ArmA 2 will be as good and innovative as i hoped game2 would be.

I wish there will be more features and gameplay possibilities for both the player and the mission editor than what was in OFP/ArmA as basically both games were nearly the same out of the graphics and animation change.

Really BIS should have used Kegetys' name generator to find the name for their new game, ArmA 2 does sound flat and not exciting at all, i remember having some more nice results with the generator wink_o.gif

I've just realised, the setting for ArmA 2 is far too picturesque and similar to Sahrani, why can't we just get Iraq and disregard political correctness...

If arma2 goes for consoles it will not be realistic or simulator.Have you seen any simulator or realistic game for consoles?Its too risky for console players.

So long, and thanks for all the fish. That alone should be ample evidence that there has been a fundamental shift in the market, where the 'old timers' clamoring for a 'true sim' are out-voted by the pocket books of the halo generation of griefers.

As for modding, the 'cost' of development skill and resource investment has in my opinion crossed the threshold to the point that it exceeds the personal satisfaction reward. In OFP, you could make a significant amount of contribution with a minimum of effort. With ArmA, and countless other current gen games, the complexity is too much for the avg modder. That is the price of eyecandy, you can't measure up.

It's been a fun ride while it lasted.

OFP Elite?

I think this is a ploy or sorts... an evil plan that says "Oh the reason for no bug fixes is that we're working hard on ArmA2... yea yea thats it, we're working on the next level... thats why we're taking months off ArmA1 before giving any bug fixes"

If we move back we will see a big chance that ArmA2 will be a lot better.

Look at first ArmA screenshot presented long time ago and the latest one from official release (1.0).

http://www.bistudio.com/games/aa/AA2.jpg

http://www.bistudio.com/games/aa/Anniversary_Release_ArmA_01.jpg

I hope it will be the same in ArmA II case.

But which runs smoother. Most people here could play OFP fine, and ArmA was poor... so ArmA was poor and ArmA 2 - computer fire hazzard? lol.

"Next Gen" category should be changed to Arma2 so this thread don't get to be 10,000 replies in 24 hours. I dont know if this old forum can manage!! Ahh!!!! *Runs in circles*

May I suggest next gen forum too? So we can rename threads, and such?

Would be nice to get more informations from BIS how it's going on with ArmA 1!

+ Will they really release all tools before QG?

+ Support to ArmA 1 takes only to next year?

+ Can we expect any upgrades and new missions/campaigns from BIS for ArmA 1?

"Next Gen" category should be changed to Arma2 so this thread don't get to be 10,000 replies in 24 hours. I dont know if this old forum can manage!! Ahh!!!! *Runs in circles*

I second this.

They did manage to do ALOT of work in just 1 year so I got big hopes for BI to make this game worth playing for the rest of my life. inlove.gif

EDIT: Mil-24 'Hind'!! yay.gif

Personally I think it would be better to start a new thread in the Next Gen Category and lock this. If this thread is "Moved" we can no longer see how many people have viewed/replied...

Hence one of the many reasons I believe in hefty forum upgrades too! smile_o.gif

Those hinds and units look familiar... anyway!

Im glad to read that BIS is working on a new project already but this anouncement sounds more like they are anouncing another expantion pack than a whole new game (no real feature list).

The screens look exactly like Arma (on a good setup), even the strange yellowish street lights look the same, only diferent art is used.

The setting? US military fights the evil commies in yet another fictional environment, old?

Arma II is a name that many will relate to a game that didnt have the best possible SP content and shipped early with many bugs/flaws in it, in the end i think Arma turned out to be a good platform.. but apparently it wont live or last long enough for us to explore its potential.

Apparently Arma II is a multiplatform game (for latest consoles too) and this makes a little nervous (target audience? ) since it might impact the game/gameplay in a rather negative way.

I dont know... they have a fantastic engine in their hands and time to work on it and improve many things, lets just see what they come up with it.

This anouncement made me loose interest in QG (wich wasnt looking so promissing anyway)..