Sign in to follow this  
adumb

WIP: stuff you are working on!

lol studying anatomy is quite important if you want to create good character models.

you dont need to take courses thats not what i meant.

theres plenty of anatomical diagrams that are quite usefull.

tutorials wont help you much either.

they just show you something step by step for just a particular thing.

its different if you try it on your own and discover it by yourself.

btw that head tutorial thats been posted here is totally off..

it eplains how to create a head step by step but it leaves out all the underlying and subtle things..

and specially all the edgeflow is totally wrong...

as i said, i have put this tut as an example (flesh modelling)

Quote[/b] ]specially all the edgeflow is totally wrong..

wow_o.gif you should tell to the 3Dtotal webmaster. that he shows some crap stuff icon_rolleyes.gif

sorry, but majority of people here are just hobbyist, we don't work for crytek. a little less condescension would be well

lol you dont need to work for crytek..

i mean which modeler (even hobbiists) dont want to make their models as good as possible?

this thread is meant to give people advise and feed back to improve their models and not leaving them on the same level..

http://www.zbrushcentral.com/zbc/attachment.php?attachmentid=5476

that models has a far better edgeflow.

study other good models from sites like cgtalk.com

there are real pros around who know their job.

the 3d total stuff is ok but its not the best to be honest..

@klamacz: Some suggestion regarding your OH58. Just some suggestions you might look into, imho it will make the mesh less complex and more 'relaxed' on the lightning etc...

suggest1.jpg

suggest2.jpg

suggest3.jpg

Again, as it was the purphase of this thread, some suggestions on your WIP. Like most things, there isn't a 'perfect' model, but there is a way to make it more optimized and keep your mesh as clean as possible. Imho some suggestion in the pics (if you understand them) will help the model. In the end, there isn't a perfect model and everybody will more or less have an other opinion i think...

Anyway, all more or less optimize suggestion that overall will reduce the face count of the model....witch makes room for more detail on other 'needed' parts wink_o.gif. Feel free to post some other angle pics...

And others feel free to disagree my suggestion, still not old enough to stop learning here wink_o.gif.

I might make a harsh opinion here (no offence wink_o.gif), but are you more or less new to modelling? Again no offence, but this is an example i think of what i mean by 'tool' aren't always the best and easy solution. In the end not sure how you made some parts (but afaik i read it was edge fill methode), but some parts are very bad imho due to how it was created. Bit hard to explain, but with polybox or poly-by-poly modelling you can get better results because you think twice before making a face but also exclude auto creating problem area's...Again hard to explain atm (if you want more info let me know) and again, no offence just advice (witch is free but sometimes priceless smile_o.gif).

PS: I read you started the interieur. I might suggest to hold untill you optimized the outside body first (if you care smile_o.gif).

@MehMan: Again, i have to agree with Neph about the body, but mesh looks overall good imho. Maybe one 'mistake' on the back (top near collar...no need of splitting to tris there imho) and maybe fit shoe segments to leg segments.

But i do see a bigger or more room for optimization on the hat. Make it out of circles vertically based instead of horizontally (if you don't understand..let me know and i show example). Why, as imho it is more mesh relaxed and lightning friendly.

@TabloMaxos: That pistol wire has also lots of room for optimization wink_o.gif. Like the 'block' made out of polies where the bullet enters the barrel (can't come on the english word for that area).

CGTalk people are just so.... wow_o.gif

So much ahead of me that they make me feel like I'm some sort of ape.

But I've completely forgotten that ArmA comes with a set of civies in shorts that are just ripe for editing and could fit perfectly with a bit of modification.

Quote[/b] ]CGTalk people are just so.... wow_o.gif

Well if it can be a help, all CGTalk peolpe where once ape wink_o.gif.

I suppose they ALL once started with a box.

Fact is most if not all people their are doing that as a living or extreme hobby etc...

Like said, tutorials aren't THE thing as your model will always be different, if even slightly then THE thing. But fact is you can learn a lot out of them and as it is a learning tool, it is best to use a good, if not one of the best.

Oh well, I'll have to learn char modeling on another occasion. I guess it'll take me at least three months to produce a semi-decent char, while it'll probably take me a week to fully modify ArmA models.

creating good chars is the cheery on the top.

it takes alot of try and error :/

belive me im still on the hill upwards..

but each char i make works better and better.

its a constant process of learning

Thing is that tutorials ARE useful for teaching things like edgeflow, edgelooping or whatever you want to call it. They teach good techniques on achieving these things without spending countless hours figuring it out for yourself only to come to a bad conclusion.

Seriously, having great reference images and knowledge of how to build and manipulate your models properly is the best thing you can have. And of course having drawing skills and an eye for detail and good perception of how the body should look is a bonus, but I know some descent modelers that can make good models with just good references. Because it's just like tracing in a way but in 3D.

CGTalk people are just so.... wow_o.gif

But I've completely forgotten that ArmA comes with a set of civies in shorts that are just ripe for editing and could fit perfectly with a bit of modification.

They are good, they give you usefull advice, and in a harsh way too, no "nice model" biggrin_o.gif

The puttees are far too narrow. Look at some of the images

in the pdf I sent you.

And yes, you're probably better off modifying the stock BIS

models, or at least copying the way they are constructed.

That's the way I'm going to begin with, anyway. I'd probably

never get anything finished otherwise.

looks good so far.

i suppose the material is concrete?

id scale down that structure a bit and sharpen up the detail.

the cracks look fine cept the one on the left.

it looks way to regular and quite unnatural

What are they screens of Ofman?

New buildings / Island? Both? smile_o.gif

Looks Good!

Indeed a very atmospheric looking new island, i really like the OFP style look.

USSRsniper don't quote pictures, you've been around long enough to know better.

Very early WIP of a planned Mi-28 pack, containing both Mi-28A and Mi-28N versions with differant loadouts plus both SLA and RACS versions. I still desperately need hi-res blueprints so if you have any please PM me or post in the addon research thread, thx!

render1mo4.png

why can't the Germans do things simple?

hkgmg.png

hkgmg2.png

HK GMG - For the Land Rover WMIK eventually - Just have the handguards, ammo tin and sight to do - currently residing on 2100 faces

smile_o.gif

why can't the Germans do things simple?

It won't be long until they start engineering themselves and consuming nothing but saucages and oil...

Excellent work mate, can't wait!