afaik its a chi com AK chest rig. smile_o.gif

Poo, poo..cliche! It still looks like the private purchase vests

that were popular in NI in the 1990s (and in GW1).   smile_o.gif

Silvermans:

bw_northern_ireland_chest_webbing.jpg

Official 1 PARA PR pic from 1992:

1para-1992.jpg

Got the shadows finally working...

Looks nice. The details realy show and it has a sort of warn look but not too much. People should paint their models like that, it adds to the imersive feel.

comp4aimpoint.jpg

comp4aimpoint1.jpg

EDIT: Finished with the model so here it is in final form (before texture)

comp4aimpoint2.jpg

comp4aimpoint3.jpg

Aimpoint COMP M4 M68 CCO

1034 faces

Looking at these outstanding works. I am ashamed.

Its depressing to think I once made addons.

nephilim...hows the texturing tuts going? I need help.Make them begineer level please, lol

well if you're looking for some texturing tutorials i'd recommend here

the site is geared towards Valve's source engine, but as far as texturing goes it doesn't make much difference.

nephilim...hows the texturing tuts going? I need help.Make them begineer level please, lol

the site is geared towards Valve's source engine, but as far as texturing goes it doesn't make much difference.

Thanks very much, I wish I had them before I had started. Also thanks the normal mapping help before Nephilim.

@bratty

hehe yea im working hard on it (actually hardly XD)

nice stuff everyone

please also include some wireframes and poly/tri-count of your work.

this way people can tell you how to improve your work and optimize it

No actually I know how to texture, read tuts and have actually sent alot of people to sites like that. (it wouldn't load tho)

What I mean is basically lost with the new features , bump mapping etc... and specifically what is needed for Arma addons.

I have seen bits and pieces within these forums and like in the past I would probably read for hours and save clips of info of whats needed if I even attempt making an addon.

I first need to gather stuff to make complex character animations for Arma for a project I was working on for OFP.

It would be nice if someone made it easy for making addons for Arma. You guys (and gals) are certainly talented

mg520

import from maya, i reverse the model by press w but the upper part of the blade is visble and opposite and inside of the model is invisble ? any advise how to fix it

mg5203.jpg

mg5201.jpg

mg520-1.jpg

Quote[/b] ]any advise how to fix it

One of the things you can do, is select the blades or a set of double side faces. Press E and select the ones that are wrong in hte 'menu' and press 'create selection'. Verify with the bulldozer if you have the correct one(s) selected and press W.

Other thing you can do is simply delete all the faces of the blades by selecting them and press D. This should delete the faces but leave you with the vertexes. Now remake one side of the blades (select 3 or 4 vertexes and press F6). Copy/past them and reverse them etc...

leave the embossing fromt he diffuse texture

itll just screw the lightning ingame...

guys arma has dyniamic lightning.. your dont need to paint such highlits into the texture anymore..

the normal maps take care of such details..

I'll admit sometimes its hard to give up the bevelling and embossing effects on textures, however he could simply be using them as a place marker currently to show what the normal map will effect, remember, WIP, not final wink_o.gif

leave the embossing fromt he diffuse texture

itll just screw the lightning ingame...

guys arma has dyniamic lightning.. your dont need to paint such highlits into the texture anymore..

the normal maps take care of such details..

yeah, but you don't need to make a normal map for all the stuff. not for one detail !!! i have an example of a BIS Arma model in ofp (yeah this is strange, not my job tounge2.gif ), this model has some details not made by a normal map.

a normal map is good for flesh, skin, clothes, heavy details on objects-vehicles etc. if you play correctly with the specular map, you don't need a normal map for 1 or 2 details.

everyone forgets that the specular map is as much important that the normal map. tounge2.gif

[imghttp://img49.imageshack.us/img49/2696/jegdfweaponmarkingshk7.th.jpg[/img]

Click Me for Larger

You should never use bevel and emboss for lighting details, you are better off with the Dodge and Burn tools. Also needs more contrast, good start

klamacz-pre2.jpg

cockpit (inside) and front antennas taken from Franze OH-58 for OFP. At the moment I dont know if I will make my own or ask Franze for permission to use.

There is too many faces now, I'm planning to optimize it shortly after finishing main mesh.

Anyway I'm proud that hull, engine, tail and cockpit are connected and are closed mesh, I tried to not make interpolating polygons, which IMO dont look good later.

Actually I'm reading some tutorials but cant find definite answer to my Optimizing problem. If someone here is modo-master and could point me some tricks, I will be gratefull.

I'll admit sometimes its hard to give up the bevelling and embossing effects on textures, however he could simply be using them as a place marker currently to show what the normal map will effect, remember, WIP, not final wink_o.gif

Got it in one thumbs-up.gif

the facecount looks ok..

bis a10 in arma has about 20k polygons...

dont worry its all cool.

i hope you can take away that triangulation off your model :/

it screws further steps a bit when you want to modify the geometry

id do triangle my model just upon export, as a final step.

the facecount looks ok..

bis a10 in arma has about 20k polygons...

dont worry its all cool.

i hope you can take away that triangulation off your model :/

it screws further steps a bit when you want to modify the geometry

id do triangle my model just upon export, as a final step.

I triangulated it just for showing polycount properly smile_o.gif

@Klamacz: Polycount looks pretty ok atm, but remember you still need proper (meaning, equalevent detialed as rest of model) rotorblades, radar and glass, same as weapon layout (not that familiar with the OH58...so if you all want to model it in the same amount of detail it will become tricky, but imho it should be possible. Although personally i always model details a bit more detailed then overall model, if you understand (so no half detailed-details tounge2.gif ).

Regarding the mesh, no offense and at this angle/zoom maybe a bit hard to see, but the mesh doens't look too clean imho. Overall smoothness and detail is ok i think, but it is more the mesh creation that has flows in it. Again i haven't really checked with photo's and don't know what 'edges' are made..but like in the center of hull and top (engine bay?) there are some places that could be optimized i think. Unless the center parts are actually 'window' edges, but still i think there is room for cleaning.

Again, no offence, but something tells me the way you made the mesh (spline with fill or what ever it is called in modo again), has resulted in the big messy, in my eyes, mesh. On other thingy, again might actually be correct modeled, but are the two 'sharper' edges in side view correct? I mean the edges in the hull and the 'ass' of the bodyhull and 'belly', witch are clearly seen in sideview.

Other suggestion, by the looks of it, the tail is 'taped' (not sure how to explain in proper english), meaning if so you could simply simplify the tail so it doens't needs the extra segments in lenght.

Like Jenny/Neph said, keep the model as poly as possible instead of tris. You'll be more happy with polys when it comes to unwrapping it and it keeps the modelbuild more clean and easier to spot flaws imho. Also only do the tris in the very final stage in O2 as you might encounter a problem i had, witch is buldozer 'still' has a limite of the amount of rendered faces (well not sure, as in my case it is actually an 'error to many vertexes' crazy_o.gif, bit offtopic, but anybody knows what the maximum actually is? As i thought i didn't had that problem when i copy pasted a BIS model untill i had the same amount of vertexes...but it still showed the model x the amount of pasted ones).

I hope you can undo the convert to tris action in modo...any help on how would be welcom as i never found out how and o2's 'squarize' option didn't do jack. So atm the only way to fix it is to rebuild it (before you ask, i had a save error once and had to continue from a modo file witch i had to export and resulted into a tris model, was still with the old O2, might be possible the new one imports easier etc..).

Regarding the modo mesh optimizing. Bit noob in modo (only use it for its unwraptool), but the easiest way to optimize is to work with the edge tool and delete edges. Depending if it was a poly based item or you delete a 'corner edge' you will remain your face (tris goes into poly auto). You can also merge vertexes...

It is more a mather of test with trail and error smile_o.gif.

Anyway, overall pretty good model but room for optimizing as you pointed out. Feel free to post some closer pics of the mesh...

thanks nephilim and DaSquade for opinions and help

here comes some close-ups

klamacz-pre4.preview.jpg

klamacz-pre3.preview.jpg

I actually started to optimize things and I'm trying to get rid of those bad polygons on hull and engine.

Land Rover WMIK

decided today that I'd 'quickly' make a normal map for the wheels to see how 'easy' it was - after 6 hours this is what I've ended up with - the rear panel that's greyed out and the front wheel are the only parts of the model with the material applied to show you my problem.

Help

otherwise, that's what I'm working on... if only the damn thing would work

whistle.gif

You're doing a rather fine job on the OH-58 klamacz, I'm guessing due to the pylon you will be making it D correct? If you'd like we could get into contact, I have quite a few images of the OH-58D including atleast one with main rotor and tail rotor detail.

And I suppose to make my post not quite out of bounds, note heavy WIP here, fuelsaloge is still in work as I'm trying to (still) fuse the engines with the body and round the body out a bit and fix the TADS as well as finish Arrowhead aka Pathfinder.

http://img467.imageshack.us/img467/2175/lb1kd4.jpg

http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/4075/lbwfbw6.jpg wireframe, most faces are triangular due to max's little trick but most will return to quads in O2.

and another one I suppose. http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/6691/abramswhitebe7.jpg

M1A1 face count- 6520

AH-64D face count- not valid. both O2 imported

Great Land rover by the way as well Messiah, I like the treads on the tires..nice and scraped.

I can also tell you that if you ask Franze for permission the only thing he would want is that you credit the cockpit, since the Kiowa is being reworked I doubt he would mind.

@ messiah, when I read your other post and you mentioned the 'pretty rainbow colours' it struck me that you may have used the wrong kind of Normal. I though ArmA used the tangent style map that looks kind of borish.

@ neph and the rest. Whats so important about leaving the polys in place before going to O2, and converting to tris' ? At the end of the day it is the same isn't it?

no

oxygen sometimes really screws up your triangulation

you dont have as much as control of that process in o2 than in any other program.

specially if you want to create a smooth surface.

im not sure about the new oxygen but in the old one you couldnt simply flip your edges around.