Sign in to follow this  
CameronMcDonald

1st Infantry Division

Quote[/b] ]whattttttttttttttttttttttttttt?

they train you guys in the US army with an m14?

even with the IDF they train with the M16A3!!!

some even get a short m16

paratroopers in IDF train with the short m16 and a scope on it!!!

You're confusing the Army with the Navy.

Navy personnel are familiarized with the M14 due to the large numbers kept in ships' armories and because it sees use (with an adapter) as a tool to launch ropes from one ship to another. Recruits in the US Army are issued an M16A4 in basic training. There is no issuing of the M14 in basic as soldiers who are issued an M14 are issued it at the unit level and are familiarized on it there. (I could be wrong on this point, could someone who was issued an M14 in the Army clarify?)

Quote[/b] ]The M14 is actively used in the current "Conflict zones" USA are in simply because it packs more punch than the puny M16.

They dusted off their old guns from the storage rooms and started issuing them since they needed something that could actually hurt someone after having penetrated a wall. Something a 5,56mmN round is very, very bad at. Thus it's actually quite good they train people with that rifle imo, since they aren't unlikely to be issued one anyway.

The M14 is currently issued in small numbers to fill a designated marksman role. Like any other designated marksman rifle, its purpose is to extend the effective range of the individual squad by an additional 100-300 meters. It is not meant to replace any 5.56 weapon, it was simply the best fit for the required role. 5.56 out of an M16 series weapon will kill a person just as well as any other weapons system. It all depends on the situation and the skill of the operator. The US military chooses which weapon systems to adopt for a good reason. As such, there was no "dusting off" of old rifles as M14s have been used as a supplement to the standard fireteam ever since they were replaced as the standard infantry rifle in 1966.

I wish there wasn't so much weapon/caliber fanboyism on the internet because these misconceptions and rumors about one rifle or caliber being SO superior to another, (X round will bounce around in your skull, Y round will kill you just by passing by) are started and spread so easily due to uninformed individuals reciting things they heard second or third-hand.

Yes, but a 5,56 has a useful range up to 300 meters when the M14 (i don't remember the caliber, I think that is the same of the Garand) is up to 500 meters.

Anyway I still prefer an AK-47, a good and reliable weapon.

Well, I know the M14 is primarily a marksman's rifle since it's incredibly accurate and has a better range than an M16, but at the same time the M16A4 and whatever heavy-barrel versions of it together with an ACOG scope has a very good reach and accuracy as well.

But what would the reason be to issue M14s (not the EBR versions, but the standard ones) if not to achieve some form of penetration, since the 5,56mm round is very good at downing soft targets?

Oh, well. This is about the 1st Division dudes, and I just want to say I can't barely wait until Monday! Me waaants these mofos!

Yes, but a 5,56 has a useful range up to 300 meters when the M14 (i don't remember the caliber, I think that is the same of the Garand) is up to 500 meters.

7.62x51mm NATO just to avoid confusion. Civilian equivalent is .308 winchester.

Does the US Army really use that much high tech stuff? I never knew that and I can't wait. (I do more research on the US Marines and SEAL's)

that is the Mk14 in naval service i think

in the army is is still M-14 EBR. Though the majority of the ones in our unit and all of the ones in my company still have walnut or plastic simulated wood stocks, a Knights Armament scope rail (replaces upper handguard and locks onto rear of reciever) and a harris bipod.

As i stated befor the M-14 was brought into our units as a designated marksman rifle, unfortunately there is a shortage of M-4 rifles at our unit level, therefore the M-14 is being used as a primary for our leg infantry.

Well, I know the M14 is primarily a marksman's rifle since it's incredibly accurate and has a better range than an M16, but at the same time the M16A4 and whatever heavy-barrel versions of it together with an ACOG scope has a very good reach and accuracy as well.

But what would the reason be to issue M14s (not the EBR versions, but the standard ones) if not to achieve some form of penetration, since the 5,56mm round is very good at downing soft targets?

Oh, well. This is about the 1st Division dudes, and I just want to say I can't barely wait until Monday! Me waaants these mofos!

I will keep the GIs with the M16 rather than the M14.

I don't know why, but I think that is better in that way.

Je, I don't know why, but I remember to have read (is it right? Is 'read'?) a '70s article which said that in the future the soldiers were going to be armed with a NV helmet, a rocket launcher and bullet proof vest.

Anyway, the are out tomorrow? F*ck! That's good news!

Awesome!!! I like the modern helmets on the new ACU troops. Now all we need in ArmA are British troops with proper helmets.MICH Helmets right? Not the PASGT Kevlar Helmets?

Because it was designed to fit radio headsets, respirators etc we'd already issued. biggrin_o.gif Besides, most countries were still using their old steel pots when we started issuing the Mk.6.

Be thankful, there are at least 2 groups working on modelling British units right now.

Getting back on topic though:

Good luck with getting the units out tomorrow Cam, they look better with each screenshot and I'm looking forward to them a lot.

Hopefully you can get them out early, you'll have a lot of people spamming up this thread asking for the release tomorrow. Maybe these forums will surprise me for once though, and have some understanding and patience. smile_o.gif

It'd also be cool to see:

RACS= USA

BLUFOR= Russia

OPFOR= Chechnya

and:

RACS= Israel

BLUFOR= USA

OPFOR= Palestine/Hamas/Insert your favorite terror organization here

Or even better to have:

BLUFOR=Trident

OPFOR=Bulava

RACS=DEFCON

icon_rolleyes.gif

Maybe enough spamming?

Okay guys the addon should be released in less than a day WOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW my factions idea!!!

blufor-USA

independet-iraqi army\police

opfor-iraqi insurgents

another one

blufor-USSR

INDEPENDET-afghanistan army

opfor-afghan mujahadin rebels

and another one:

blufor-IDF\israeli police\magav\USA

independet:egypt,jordan,PLO(pali liberation organization),hamas

opfor:syria,hezbollah,iran,iraq(in sadam's time in the 1990's)

i know this is kinda spam but i really wanted to do this how about starting a thread where everybody can say what they want about each side

Stop all the shitty spamming guys... go get a GF to pass the bloody time wink_o.gif

Anyways more on topic and i know its been said before but cam are you making a replacement pack for the release? tounge2.gif

Let's wait and find some little surprises like "Staff" or "MP" xmas_o.gif

A translator (an iraqi one for instance) would be a nice add, and that's not a request, just an idea smile_o.gif.

He isnt the one that makes the replacement configs though, thats ColonelSandersLite's job (I think).

Yeah, unless CameronMcDonald decides to just put it together himself, expect a replacement pack for the new 1st infantry within a couple of days after he releases the new models. Barring any trouble that is.

By the way, on the subject of RACs replacement, I did do a replacement pack for them, but it will never be released due to a lack of the unit authors permission. It's unfortunate, and I have no idea what I did to piss the guy off, but that's life. Anyways, I won't answer further questions on that mark just because it's mostly a private matter. I was just thinking though that something I should look into is maybe putting together a BDU replacement texture for the RACs, since they use old us gear. I don't even get why they wear desert gear anyways. The majority of south sahrani is green, or mountainous. Anyways, that's about all I'm willing to say on that subject.